Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any more sand in the sandbox?

muchavezmuchavez Member UncommonPosts: 199

Hey all former darkfall player here, while I love the combat mechanics and open world pvp one of my gripes about the game was that there was not enough sand in the sandbox.

I am currently waiting on archeage, one of the things i really like is the freedom to create whatever you want, castles buildings houses, farms trees etc etc whereever you want.  In Darkfall while you can take castles they dont really change (ie customization) and outside of castles there arent too many sandbox elements.

So my question was has AV announced any additional sandbox features in UW or any plans for future sandbox features?

Comments

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

The remake of Darkfall is not about adding more sand in the box. Everything will be static just like in 1.0.

As far as sandbox goes, building and customizing your environment, only thing you can use are strong boxes to build a barrage/cover, but they only last 1 hour and they leave out a hole between 2 strong boxes. Its long enough for some engagement and they were mostly used for sieges. I think and hope we will still be able to use strong boxes that way in UW again. Some ppl call that exploiting.

I say, if we were able to use strong boxes that way, they should make more tools like that and an option to build bunkers, fort, you name them all. They should either stay there untill the server shuts down or 1 hour just like strong boxes. 

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Originally posted by CNUChavez

Hey all former darkfall player here, while I love the combat mechanics and open world pvp one of my gripes about the game was that there was not enough sand in the sandbox.

I am currently waiting on archeage, one of the things i really like is the freedom to create whatever you want, castles buildings houses, farms trees etc etc whereever you want.  In Darkfall while you can take castles they dont really change (ie customization) and outside of castles there arent too many sandbox elements.

So my question was has AV announced any additional sandbox features in UW or any plans for future sandbox features?

You can only build in certain areas in ArcheAge. Much like in DF, except you actually get to build the house. Also I imagine it has a bit more depth to houses in general.

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

• Not_KhaerosNot_Khaeros Member Posts: 31

Building and user-created content isn't a 'fluff' feature in a game that attempts to label itself as a 'sandbox', as a sandbox normally involves players shaping and creating the world.

But you'd know that.  After all, you guys at MMORPG.com are sandbox experts.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Hancakes

Fluff is that way --->

/Facepalm

Yes, we know the successful version 1 of DF was great with it's BG style gameplay and no direction.   Lets do the same crap in Version 2.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by thinktank001

Fluff is that way --->

/Facepalm

Yes, we know the successful version 1 of DF was great with it's BG style gameplay and no direction. 

Its called a sandbox, you want "direction" and hand holding look elsewhere.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437
    only Wurm has that much sand and they even give you a shovel to dig it too

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    sadly no.. nothing really new in that department..
  • GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    No one thinks the new crafting system, market system, contract system will add anything to the sandbox?
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Fluff is that way --->

/Facepalm

Yes, we know the successful version 1 of DF was great with it's BG style gameplay and no direction. 

I think he meant that Aventurine has no visions of the game or that the game has no vision. It's going nowhere basically.

By the way, if you  call "sand in a sandbox" as fluff, then I must assume that you have no clue what sandboxes are about, which would explain why you're so focused on calling DarkFall as a Sandbox even though it's mostly just 1 giant battleground with nothing else to do other than PvP.

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Fluff is that way --->

/Facepalm

I think he meant that Aventurine has no visions of the game or that the game has no vision. It's going nowhere basically.

By the way, if you  call "sand in a sandbox" as fluff, then I must assume that you have no clue what sandboxes are about

Cosmetic changes to a structure is nothing but fluff.

Fluff is that way --->

/Facepalm

By the way, if you  call "sand in a sandbox" as fluff, then I must assume that you have no clue what sandboxes are about

Cosmetic changes to a structure is nothing but fluff.

Here's a sandbox without sand.

Here's a sandbox with sand in it.

If a box is enough to be a considered a "sandbox", and sand is merely fluff, I think you're missing the point of a sandbox.

Originally posted by Greymoor
    No one thinks the new crafting system, market system, contract system will add anything to the sandbox?

Ofc it will, it has good pontential. I would say DF will be more of a sandbox than ArcheAge, which apart from house building, open world and city building is just another tab-target themepark.

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

• AesowhreapAesowhreap Member Posts: 78
    I thought "sandbox" meant to be approved in putting content into a game after you build it. Not just a crafting idea effect. Are you able add quests in Archage?

Best Regards, ...

Originally posted by Aesowhreap
    I thought "sandbox" meant to be approved in putting content into a game after you build it. Not just a crafting idea effect. Are you able add quests in Archage?

Sandbox just refers to a level of player freedom and players being the ones to shape the world. Much how like a Sandbox IRL gives you the sand to play with and then it's up to you what to do with that sand.

As opposed to the current trend of "themeparks" where you only follow "the path" that the devs have laid out for you while nicely holding your hand and making sure you don't have to face confusion or a lack of direction.

It's hardly surprising that the themepark model of MMORPG's is the more successful one considering the mental capacity and intelligence of the majority of players now-a-days.

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

If a box is enough to be a considered a "sandbox", and sand is merely fluff, I think you're missing the point of a sandbox.

Dyeing the sand doesn't make it anymore useful. (ie cosmetics)  A Blacksmiths is a Blacksmiths regardless of what they look like and has no bearing on shaping the virtual world.  Having all the trees in Agon look the same or having great diveristy wouldnt make them anymore useful, they still produce the same wood.  (that isnt "sand" )

Trees that are only cosmetically different = Fluff

Trees that are cosmetically different and produce unique woods = Sand

Dyeing the sand doesn't make it anymore useful. (ie cosmetics)  A Blacksmiths is a Blacksmiths regardless of what they look like and has no bearing on shaping the virtual world.  Having all the trees in Agon look the same or having great diveristy wouldnt make them anymore useful, they still produce the same wood.  (that isnt "sand" )

So no, Darkfall is not adding more sand. That's the answer to OP's question.

So do you have access to information regarding UW the rest of us dont?  image As there seems to be a great deal of diversity in the new screenshots.

So do you have access to information regarding UW the rest of us dont?  image As there seems to be a great deal of diversity in the new screenshots.

Just going to highlight the relevant part.

And that is exactly what the OP was looking for...Fluff image(keep backpeddling)  Who knows,  different racial strutures may produce different items in UW = Sand

So how do you know they added no new "sand" to UW?

At least you finally learned the difference between "Fluff" and "Sand" .image

/win

And what the fuck do you know about that? I really doubt you are a beta tester.

From what they've told us(not a lot of vids or information out there to base your stupid statement on is there?) there could possibly be tons of new sand with changes to the crafting system, territorial control, villages, working economy, roles, etc...

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

And that is exactly what the OP was looking for...Fluff image(keep backpeddling)  Who knows,  different racial strutures may produce different items in UW = Sand

/win

So, being able to create a Clan City wherever you want is "fluff". I guess the static nature of housing and clan cities in DF is really sandboxy isn't it? Same goes for Houses, Farms, Ships, etc.

It's not fluff. It's an integral part of sandboxes that offers a wider variety of experience to different players. In other words, a game that isn't purely PvP, but also offers alternatives activities that can in turn become a major focus for these players. Crafting for example, some players play purely as dedicated crafters. That's all they care about, and a sandbox will also cater to them. Players that want to live in a world, will use housing, farms and whatnot to establish their own living space in an area they like and occupy themselves with various activities (such as writing books in UO, now that's a bit closer to fluff however) .

That's the thing you don't understand. A themepark will have a set objective with very little in-between in terms of alternative activities. Additional activities in these games are much closer to "fluff" as they do not entirely derail the game from it's primary objective. A sandbox however, does not push a set objective on players, but rather give them the tools to set their own objectives by giving them various activities that can become a major focus for them. That is not fluff, that is sand.

Building a castle for your clan wherever you want is sand. Building your own house, with a farm and etc is sand. Clan Cities and Housing in DarkFall are just themepark rides. Entirely pre-determined by Aventurine as capture objectives by giving them static locations with a capture point. Have fun playing LaserQuest 2.0

/win

So, being able to create a Clan City wherever you want is "fluff". I guess the static nature of housing and clan cities in DF is really sandboxy isn't it? Same goes for Houses, Farms, Ships, etc.

It's not fluff. It's an integral part of sandboxes that offers a wider variety of experience to different players. In

Yawn, perhaps you need to reread the OP or feel free to create your own thread.

"In Darkfall while you can take castles they dont really change (ie customization) "

/win

It's not fluff. It's an integral part of sandboxes that offers a wider variety of experience to different players. In

Yawn, perhaps you need to reread the OP or feel free to create your own thread.

"In Darkfall while you can take castles they dont really change (ie customization) "

As you should.

"I am currently waiting on archeage, one of the things i really like is the freedom to create whatever you want, castles buildings houses, farms trees etc etc whereever you want."

As you should.

"I am currently waiting on archeage, one of the things i really like is the freedom to create whatever you want, castles buildings houses, farms trees etc etc whereever you want."

That has what to do with Darkfall-UW?  He was very specific regarding UW...

Love your Avatar caption btw. image

/win

It's not fluff. It's an integral part of sandboxes that offers a wider variety of experience to different players. In other words, a game that isn't purely PvP, but also offers alternatives activities that can in turn become a major focus for these players. Crafting for example, some players play purely as dedicated crafters. That's all they care about, and a sandbox will also cater to them. Players that want to live in a world, will use housing, farms and whatnot to establish their own living space in an area they like and occupy themselves with various activities (such as writing books in UO, now that's a bit closer to fluff however) .

That's the thing you don't understand. A themepark will have a set objective with very little in-between in terms of alternative activities. Additional activities in these games are much closer to "fluff" as they do not entirely derail the game from it's primary objective. A sandbox however, does not push a set objective on players, but rather give them the tools to set their own objectives by giving them various activities that can become a major focus for them. That is not fluff, that is sand.

Building a castle for your clan wherever you want is sand. Building your own house, with a farm and etc is sand. Clan Cities and Housing in DarkFall are just themepark rides. Entirely pre-determined by Aventurine as capture objectives by giving them static locations with a capture point. Have fun playing LaserQuest 2.0

Except you will not be able to create a Clan City wherever you want. From what I've understood you can only build cities or housing in specific areas...

I'll have to say though that the way ArcheAge handles crafting, city and house building looks a bit exciting, definitely a more sandboxish approach than DF has. But that's pretty much the only thing that it has going for it, there's no full loot and fighting seems stale as fuck so it probably won't be anywhere near as exciting as DF.

Oh well, if UW turns out to be a letdown I'll be keeping an eye on AA for sure. 

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi