Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Elite game on Kickstarter!

Holy Hell! If the project gets enough support to get started, it'll have multiplayer as well this time around.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

Here's a Let's Play of Elite Frontier (1993):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl9U1lOCxNU

Comments

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    I won't back anything that don't even have alfa footage or screenshots to show.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• DraziDrazi Member Posts: 1
    Oh my God, its David Braben himself..... Gimme gimme gimme.... I was so hooked on Elite and Elite:Frontier back in the days.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Amazing programmer, how he fitted the game onto a single floppy disk still stumps me today.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Amazing programmer, how he fitted the game onto a single floppy disk still stumps me today.

Lol, a floppy was 2.8mb, I played it on a 48k ZX Spectrum, you could fit it onto a floppy more than 50times.

Yeah I started with frontiers
  • Elite Plus was the first I played. Didn't find out about Frontier until many years later. The graphics hadn't aged too well at that point. I remember buying something called "tribbles" at some point and regretting it. Unfortunately I hadn't seen the original Star Trek back hen.

I hope they make the flight controls feel smooth and slick, and with target tracking like in Freelancer. But I also hope we'll have more advanced flight options.

I really hope both this and Star Citizen turn out to be great. That could usher in a new era of space sims.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Hell yes.

I recently went back to Freelancer, since, sadly, there is not a single recent online game I am interested in atm except maybe TL2, which is not precisely "massive" at least when you talk about the actual gameplay. And yes, I know Freelancer is not that massive either, but with around 200 players online at peak times on the private server I am playing I get enough interaction (chasing pirates on my combat ship and beeing chased by pirates on my cargo, lol).

And then, BAM, Star Citizen and this!

This is the very first time for really long that I am mildly excited about a new game.

Please, guys, don't hype these two games too much. Just keep it realistic and let's see how things turn out.

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276
    Or just support Star Citizen which is already at the 4mil mark :]
  • Originally posted by pauly6478
    Or just support Star Citizen which is already at the 4mil mark :]

To be honest, between the two I think one should support Elite. SC already got well above their desired goal, and two space sims are better than one!

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

Backers 11,382
    pledged £504,564 of £1,250,000 goal
    46 days to go

• I kind of expect SC to have better combat, but Elite to have better "sim" if you know what I mean.
  • pwainpwain Member UncommonPosts: 115
    The game he describes is eve online, isn't it ?
    I've got more love for elite than wing commander.

Elite being the best space sim (plus or frontiers). I feel x took it too far, too much about industry, you stopped feeling like han solo doing spice runs.
    Wing commander is beat by freespace1 & 2 as the mor e arcade style space game imo.
    Shame Ian bell isn't onboard.

Backers 11,767
    £528,250 pledged of £1,250,000 goal
    44 days to go

• I think they need to show off more of the game if they want to reach their goal.

backers 12,087
    £542,801 pledged of £1,250,000 goal
    43 days to go

• It's my belief that in order to reach their target they should display more of their product.
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by pwain
    The game he describes is eve online, isn't it ?

No he describes Elite.

You should google the games.

First one called Elite, second one called Elite frontier and the last one called Elite first encounter.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Backers 12,181
    £549,498 pledged of £1,250,000 goal
    42 days to go

• GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Whats to stop the developers just taking 50% of the money to pay for whores and the bar tab? :)
  • ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Would love to see a new "Elite" game.

Though this Kickstarter campaing for Elite seems to be pretty much rushed out of thin air...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

VG24/7: Elite Dangerous: Braben’s square peg

“The danger is that everyone has their own idea of what the next Elite should be. The question is: if those ideas are very different to each other, then it’s going to be very hard to try and deliver to that in a way that everyone will be happy.”

To answer our question Braben goes right back to the original game, “We pitched Elite to Thorn EMI back in 1982, and their response was, ‘We want the game to have three lives, to have a score and to take around ten minutes to play through.’“We said no, but the point was that they looked at what games were in the market and successful, and they wanted us to make our game like those."

“It was quite a long time ago. It had been skunk-worked in the background but it hadn’t been a full-on project, and I think that’s the problem."

“It’s a different kind of pressure,” he said. “It’s a pressure to make the right choices, and you’re not making choices for an imagined market. With this, the beauty is that we’re making choices for ourselves, and that actually is a lot easier."

“We did start writing code before the Kickstarter project, a lot of technology, because one of the biggest risks of this project for me anyway, is going multiplayer, and getting the network to work in a reliable way.”

A few quotes: Great interview!

• UserUndeletedUserUndeleted Member Posts: 121

First gameplay video released.

Link