Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Elder Scrolls Online: The Ebonheart Pact

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This week in our ESO weekly column, we take a look at the Ebonheart Pact and its effect on the game world. Read on and then join the conversation in the comments.

Let’s look at the story. Ebonheart is by far the oddest pairing in the game. It is even described as such on the website. But damn, is it cool. All three races have good reason to hate each other from the start, but the alliance is said to be formed when the lands were attacked by Akaviri slavers. For those who don’t know, Akaviri is the Elder Scrolls version of Asia. In order to fight off the invaders, the races allied in a pressed situation. So the pact is clearly out of desperation, which immediately makes it exciting. Other factions may be driven by greed or expansion, but the Ebonheart formed for survival

Read more of Garrett Fuller's The Elder Scrolls Online: The Ebonheart Pact.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

LOL yeah let's focus on the already-most-popular-faction by a factor of 2:1. that have 2 of the 3 starring races of past TES games in it (the 3rd being Imperials who are not playable).

Not your guys fault, ZOS is pumping them up to be ESO's Albion...and history repeats itself...

This game is gonna fail so hard...

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
     Ebonheart all the way. 
    And actually, Argonians are hugely popular, far moreso than Nords.
  • zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Originally posted by Entinerint

LOL yeah let's focus on the already-most-popular-faction by a factor of 2:1. that have 2 of the 3 starring races of past TES games in it (the 3rd being Imperials who are not playable).

Not your guys fault, ZOS is pumping them up to be ESO's Albion...and history repeats itself...

Don't you have anything better to do?

Originally posted by zomard100

Don't you have anything better to do?

Why?  What are you doing right now?

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

I must have missed the part where DAOC was a popular game.  I remember playing it, but sure don't remember it being very popular.

I wonder why they went with the DAOC three-faction system where you cannot actually do anything in the other two areas.  Could it be because it is easier to create one region, copy and paste it to the other reagions?  Might be.  I remember in DAOC the other regions all had basically the same mobs, just resized for each region.

Of course, the proper way to actually do an Elder Scrolls MMO would be create one giant world where anyone can go anywhere, then put in three factions you can join IF you want to PVP anywhere at anytime.  If you want nothing to do with PVP, like the vast majority of MMO players, stay neutral.  Kind of like SWG where you could be IMP or Rebel or nothing at all and just do whatever you want.

That would require more work and thought. 

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

"This is not some anime world of cute monsters and sexy characters; this is a dark fantasy where you'd better bring your axe."

Little far from what dark fantasy mean ,but oh well, let stat this: have an aspect part what dark fantasy is, but generaly TES is not a dark fantasy.

anyway, i like Dark elfs (yep, i have my own Telvanni tower in morrowind), but i pick with the Aldmeri Dominion instead.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Kobold
    At its time daoc was popular. Only EQ and swg had more players. Like EQ had 500,000 daoc around 300,000. Something like that mmos were closer in numbers then, there was real competition.

It's not like the modern mmo market where you have wow with like 5 times the players of gw2 and 30 times the players of everything else.

That said TESO will be nothing like daoc because its instanced to hell and back where as daoc had zero instancing.
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Nonderyon

"This is not some anime world of cute monsters and sexy characters; this is a dark fantasy where you'd better bring your axe."

Little far from what dark fantasy mean ,but oh well, let stat this: have an aspect part what dark fantasy is, but generaly TES is not a dark fantasy.

anyway, i like Dark elfs (yep, i have my own Telvanni tower in morrowind), but i pick with the Aldmeri Dominion instead.

I'd beg to differ.  While it's not dark litke AoC (which is subjective) but it certainly has a bit of a gritty theme to it.  For instance the cannibalism quest or how the innocent get butchered pretty much on a daily basis.  All the Daedric gods have some pretty dark motives.  I hope that they carry this over, really tired of the oversaturation of goodness and would really like some dark grittyness in an MMO. 

Was really displeased how they made out the Charr, took away a lot of the darker side of things and at times made no sense.  Like how some of the choices in the Charr story are perfectly Charr but then latter all of a sudden your a Mr. Goodly-lil-two-shoe.

Also Kobold.

They could have copied daoc more and had coop servers for people like you. (and mordred ff ruleset for players like me)

We both could have gone anywhere then. Alas they've gone with this megaserver with multiple instances of the zones stuff. :(
  • Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233

Umm... DAoC is still alive and running, that's not a fail in my mind.

Tes is a hard fantasy setting to place.

It's not the high fantasy of Tolkien, much of d & d and all those terrible hacks that rip off Tolkien like terry brooks and whatnot.

It's not the dark fantasy of r.e.Howard or Michael moorcock either.

It's kinda sits in a middle ground.
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    i also have the slight feeling this faction could be too popular...even if so, the great feature about a 3 section system is that the two weaker faction can combine their forces and this can even out the playfield... were gonna see...most experienced mmo players rather tend to support the faction with fewest members so
  • GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    dark elves/nords/argonians...enough said

And actually, Argonians are hugely popular, far moreso than Nords.

Many prick races based on racial skills.  Rift is a prime example.  The PvPers went Defiance I beleive the faction was called due to racials being a very prominant factor.

But I really beleive that the factions are all jacked up racial paring wise, worst combinations as they put the most popular races in one faction.  The Kajiit are about the only other popular race besides the Nord, Dummer, and Argonian which all are in the same faction.  I just hope that they limit an overpopulated faction access to Cyrodil or something to balance things out a bit.

I always play redguard
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    i also have the slight feeling this faction could be too popular...even if so, the great feature about a 3 section system is that the two weaker faction can combine their forces and this can even out the playfield... were gonna see...most experienced mmo players rather tend to support the faction with fewest members so

Jade Quarry usually steamroles the opposing worlds in WvWvW.  I find the whole 2 weaker will gang up on the stronger faction bullet hard to beleive.

• ReymasReymas Member Posts: 23

The Ebonheart pact will crush all the others, and the Morag Tong will be right there when they do.

Originally posted by LightHeretic

Umm... DAoC is still alive and running, that's not a fail in my mind.

Read it again, where did I say DAOC was a failure?  I mean, it was never that popular, even in the EQ days, but it is still a 10-year-old game design and doesn't need to be rehashed.  Got pretty stale pretty fast.

ESO is going to fail hard.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Saying the game is going to " fail " based on some assumptions is pretty stupid. Play the game first then coment.
    It's more a rehash of wow / gw2 than a rehash of daoc. The only things daoc is the optional 3 sided outdoor pvp (and even that's on multiple instances) and the open dungeons.

Where as wow
    Raiding endgame - check
    Instanced mini game pvp matches - check
    Instanced dungeons - check

Gw2
    Personal story - check
    Semi action combat - check
    Personal story - check

Really its not like daoc at all, pvpers couldn't hide in minigames, everything was outdoor and persistent, there was zero instancing, raids were an outdoor thing for the entire realm to pile on, not for an elitist clique, gear wasn't that important etc..
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    This is anything but a rehash of WoW and GW2. Yes it is a theme park just like those but the skill system, quest system and public dungeons is nothing like GW2 or WoW at all. They are also supposedly working on first person mode as well which is something GW2 and WoW do not have.
  • jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841
    After the utter disappointment/single player mmo that is GW2, I wont have any hope for this game. I think it will be a good 10 to 15 years before someone is able to make an actual decent AAA mmo that people would play for years rahter than just burn through in a week or so. A game where everyone doesn't hve to be a fighter but can just be a part of the world or whatever and have fun in.
    You can zoom in and have 1st person mode in wow.
  • ReymasReymas Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    You can zoom in and have 1st person mode in wow.

Idk, I wouldn't mistake a camera POV for a playstyle.