Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Game is a MMO.

Victor001brVictor001br Member UncommonPosts: 9

WIKI http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Citizen

OFFICIAL FORUM: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/forums/forum/forum-category-2/

MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAME: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/forums/topic/to-sort-out-the-forum/

For those who cant understand the Message on official Website:

Game modes:

Single-player, multiplayer (Private servers), massive multiplayer (Official server).

this game ll be like a console game only for PC. ( CAN PLAY SINGLE-PLAYER AND ONLINE (MMO) )

EDIT: OFFICIAL DEV ANSWER: 

ME: This is game is an MMO?

DEV: Hi there, Partially! Half the game is a single player adventure called Squadron 42, similar to the classic Wing Commander titles. The other half is called Star Citizen, which is styled after Privateer. Star Citizen players can choose between both an MMO-style persistant world and user-run servers.

Comments

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Nowhere... I repeat, NOWHERE does it officially state "Massively Multiplayer" in respect to the public servers. This is only stated on a fan updated Wiki so it hardly counts as true. In fact all of the links you provide were created by fans and not the dev team themselves. I don't even think they know at this point how many people will be on a single shard as they haven't even built that part of the game yet. It does however very clearly state the following:

Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

While a persistent world is a feature common in MMOs it is hardly the only feature that defines the genre. There are many games that are not even remotely considered MMOs that have multiplayer persistent world servers. Give it a rest already.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Victor001br

WIKI http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Citizen

OFFICIAL FORUM: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/forums/forum/forum-category-2/

MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GAME: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/forums/topic/to-sort-out-the-forum/

For those who cant understand the Message on official Website:

Game modes:

Single-player, multiplayer (Private servers), massive multiplayer (Official server).

this game ll be like a console game only for PC. ( CAN PLAY SINGLE-PLAYER AND ONLINE (MMO) )

For those that cant let it go:

And I quote from the dev himself from his questions and answers time at reddit.

"SC is a cross between freelancer and wing commander: it will have a MP aspect where you can board ships and steal them loot them etc, and has no vision of it being able to hold masses of players in one area"

Just like he mentioned about the planets, where some were asking, "can we land on planets will they look as detailed blah blah", he said NO the gfx wont be as good as the ships as that would take a computer of future basically, to have so many planets and so much detail etc etc.. He said they would have bars to eavesdrop on for missions and buy sell market stuff like his earlier games.

Hyping this up right now is going to be most peoples here big screw up :D

• TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Ok then let's play along...Star Citizen is not an MMO, as already answered. Maybe then we could get some peace, and preoccupy with news about this Non MMO Game:)

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

i guess its gonna be like freelancer where you can run private servers and so on.. not a bad thing really.

Still its some time off so who knows :)

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

frankly the way they have it worded it comes across like a CS/TF server. you have the main gameserver with accounts that will then connect to player hosted "space" servers where you run X mission then go back to the main server... not exactly a MMO in typical terms. 

still not sure why everyone is soo dead set to make it an mmo or not..  if they claim its an mmo and its not.. that will set alot of people off on a negitive tangent :/

• TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107

Exactly, this negative feeling, is what oozes from thread titles, "It's official, SC is not an MMO", and likewise mine a positive one, "SC the MMO we have been waiting for"...both are useless bottomline, the one that isolates the "No" answer, the other that focuses on the explanation, both, irrelevant to the final product, that maybe the usual type of MMO we get served, or something completely different.

We will see as it unfolds...i protest though, about the eagerness of people to label or unlabel everything, so as to provoke reaction from others, positive or negative. 

My personal view is that it's too early to label anything, but i also react, from the actions of others, rushing to put a label on just about  everything...and everyone that dares to voice an opinion.

These forums are like the sea, whenever a new prey comes along, everyone starts to eat everyone's guts trying to devour the prey, get consumed in the way...reaching the final product...are either disgruntled, overoptimistic, or overly resentfull.

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

i know exactly what star citizen is... 

star citizen is..... a video game...... DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNN

there i said it... now both sides.. those who want it to be an mmo and those who dont want it to be an mmo... can shut up about weither or not it is or isnt.. and we can get back to discussing the pros and cons of what it plans/offers for players who play it..

instead of ... is it an apple or is it an orange..... trick question. we all know its a tomato...

~flip table and walk out..~

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    How many is massive, and whats the number associated with multiplayer. Until there is an absolute value placed on these terms, there is no argument.
  • XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by william0532
    How many is massive, and whats the number associated with multiplayer. Until there is an absolute value placed on these terms, there is no argument.

This. I can understand the argument that there won't be masses of players in a single spot, but there is also an argument to be made in that all the players - at least on the official one - play in the same server, and have a chance at encountering each other and impacting the same universe. This, to me, is more important and relevant for a MMO than having masses of players sitting in a single spot.

It may not be a traditional MMO, but it certainly is not a mere multiplayer game either. It's something in-between.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Desperate stuff OP, even the Devs say "No"
  • YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

Of course it´s an MMO type game, there is a persistent world server, but there are also optional private servers and there is a single player campaign.

Everyone who doesn´t get that -- > /facepalm

Calling it MMO is in fact a huge downgrade and an insult. I seriously hope they come up with a new term.

Massive multiplayer persistent sandbox hybrid --- MMPSH for example

• Victor001brVictor001br Member UncommonPosts: 9

Of course, a new name should be cool.

Massive multiplayer online persistent sandbox hybrid space sim--- MMOPSHSS 

lol :)

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Yet you don't go around calling call of duty an mmo now do you.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The dev himself has said its not a mmo.

Players can host their own servers and invite 99 others to join them, they can also run mods on the server, the devs themselves are not hosting servers.

Basicly the same setup as minecraft, its a multiplayer game, but its not a mmo.
  • AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    The dev himself has said its not a mmo.

Players can host their own servers and invite 99 others to join them, they can also run mods on the server, the devs themselves are not hosting servers.

Basicly the same setup as minecraft, its a multiplayer game, but its not a mmo.

Exactly. The ability to let players host private servers is part of why freelancer is so popular still all these years on. Giving them and modders to create their own worlds and settings. Much more creative than themepark traditional MMOs of the last decade.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Istavaan

Yet you don't go around calling call of duty an mmo now do you.

Wasn't aware that call of duty had instances where 100 or more could fight? Did call of duty add crafting as well? What's call of duty's persistent world like? Is it fun to explore?

• Victor001brVictor001br Member UncommonPosts: 9

OFFICIAL DEV ANSWER: 

ME: This is game is an MMO?

DEV: Hi there, Partially! Half the game is a single player adventure called Squadron 42, similar to the classic Wing Commander titles. The other half is called Star Citizen, which is styled after Privateer. Star Citizen players can choose between both an MMO-style persistant world and user-run servers.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2u7ssxv.png

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    SC is clearly an mmo, but im a bit baffled as to why people think it's going to be a sandbox?

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• KorogKorog Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    SC is clearly an mmo, but im a bit baffled as to why people think it's going to be a sandbox?

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen-project/

Under "Core Concept"

"We want to build a huge sandbox with a complex and deep lore that allows the players to explore in whatever capacity they want."

I'm sure that's not the only place they reference the sandbox universe, but it's just the first one I found when I looked.  I believe they've stated the same thing in the forums.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Brenelael

Nowhere... I repeat, NOWHERE does it officially state "Massively Multiplayer" in respect to the public servers. This is only stated on a fan updated Wiki so it hardly counts as true. In fact all of the links you provide were created by fans and not the dev team themselves. I don't even think they know at this point how many people will be on a single shard as they haven't even built that part of the game yet. It does however very clearly state the following:

Is Star Citizen an MMO?

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.

While a persistent world is a feature common in MMOs it is hardly the only feature that defines the genre. There are many games that are not even remotely considered MMOs that have multiplayer persistent world servers. Give it a rest already.

Bren

That answers it doesn't it?  it will be  a single player campaign, an MMO, persistent world all rolled into one. So it will be a MMO and much more. How hard is to understand that? Developers of SW don't want to confie themselves into any rigid definition of MMOS.

So yeah take your own advice and give it a rest.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

From the FAQ on his official website: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen-faq/

Is Star Citizen an MMO?

I am pretty sure I see a No there.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Yamota

From the FAQ on his official website: http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen-faq/

Is Star Citizen an MMO?

I am pretty sure I see a No there.

And i also see 'best of all possible worlds' there. I am glad someone is finally refusing to be confined by rigid definitions which keep changing with every new MMO release. 

SC is not just a MMO but taking best part of all the genre.

• KorogKorog Member Posts: 5

LINK

(After the Squadron 42 part of the game)
    "Once you complete your tour however, you re-enter the persistent Star Citizen universe with some money in your pocket and Citizenship to find your way."

(Under "Core Concept")
    "We want to build a huge sandbox with a complex and deep lore that allows the players to explore in whatever capacity they want."

So it's EXACTLY what Yamota said, not JUST an MMO. The huge (massively multiplayer) persistent sandbox universe DOES make it an MMO, however it's also a LOT more.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

And i also see 'best of all possible worlds' there. I am glad someone is finally refusing to be confined by rigid definitions which keep changing with every new MMO release. 

SC is not just a MMO but taking best part of all the genre.

Did you read what the FAQ states?   

They are just taking the parts that they feel are the best.   They stated a persistent world, but that can be applied to anything that doesn't disappear after you login.   One could argue that adding a lobby to D3 is enough to call it a persistent world, and I am pretty sure that is about as far as Star Citizen is going to go into the MMO realm.  

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Of course it´s massive multiplayer, they just said "no MMO" to emphasize there will be no dice rolling stupid random number based combat button mashing, instead it´s all about SKILL.

Massive Multiplayer Online Space Sim

MMOSS 

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !