Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play older games if they just updated the graphics?

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Has anyone ever said they left a game because the graphics became dated?

It may not have been the breaking point that made me leave a game, but it's probably kept me from returning to one or two games after seeing something more modern.

I tend to focus my critical thinking on game systems, but it is not uncommon for me to find myself just sitting overlooking some vista and just admiring the scope of what a modern game creates.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Vion1x

I'm playing Quake live (Quake 3 free in a web browser) so i guess that answer it for me :)

Graphics = 10%

gameplay = 90%

Thats my personal view on it.

OMG Im SO there!  I still have my Quake III Arena CD :-)   This is more convenient

YEAAAAAH! HA HA HA

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by inmysights
    If they updated the graphics to EQ 1, I would re-sub before I finished this sentence!imageimage

^This!  Well I'm already subbed to EQ1... but updated graphics would definitely enhance my experience

• Arkangel32Arkangel32 Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Update Ultima Online!!!  Bring it back!!!
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Originally posted by Foreverdream

Simply put, Would you play older games if they JUST updated the graphics? nothing else would be changed.  EQ, FF11, DAoC etc

Ultima Online, my eyes hurt after 10 minutes. So Ultimata Online revised!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by Vion1x

I'm playing Quake live (Quake 3 free in a web browser) so i guess that answer it for me :)

Graphics = 10%

gameplay = 90%

Thats my personal view on it.

Graphics have rarely ever been a deciding factor for me also......UO was one that I had an issue with the graphics and a couple of other games, but it rarely ever kept me from playing a game where I liked the gameplay.....My problem with most of todays MMOs is they put too much emphasis on the graphics and not enough on the game itself.

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    I would love to see some of the old games have a graphics overhaul, but more importantly for me, I would love to see the UI updated.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Well, one could refer to DAoC seeing as they did a couple graphics updates and one more major one during that game's high point.

I'm very much with the crowd that says 'no' though. And more so because DAoC illustrates the problem with just upgrading the graphics rather well.

People say on and off that animations have improved too, but the real problem that tends to plague older titles to make them feel old is the outdated physics and animations. The syncing of the animations between the character and environment goes a long way to affecting the perceived quality of a game in a way that upgradng the graphics just can't influence. When I look at DAoC now, I know the models look pretyt good and it would be a fine looking game overall with modern rendering, but they have to change the way the players move and interact in the world as well otherwise you are going to feel disconnected.

I will say that the people who harp on WoW do have this aspect right. The animation in that game are considerably more grounded and it's gone a long way to helping the game's staying power in my opinion, in spite of the graphics that I never liked. Though I haven't played WoW in quite a while and was never that fond of the title myself(for other reasons), so...take that as you will. :p

It's in a sense the illusion of how responsive the system is. An attack might be triggered at the same time, the animation might take the same time to execute, and it might tally the damage at the same time. But if one animation looks to be disjointed(twitchy, glitchy, not synced with other animations), slow, or 'chunky' (crude or unrefined animation) then that animation is just not going to appeal and is going to cause a more negative percetion of the title regardless of graphics.

This is not to dismiss the appeal updated graphics has. Certainly it'd make people look if you revamped the visuals, but it's ony one aspect, and unless the supporting structure is updated too then it'll rapidly fall flat for many people.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    No, probably not.  If I've left a game, it had nothing to do with the graphics, I left for a reason and I'm not going back if that reason still exists.  Most games have systemic problems that will not be solved by making the game pretty.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

In a word No.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed DAOC back in the day, but the reason I don't play today has nothing to do with the graphics and everything to do with the many changes (wrong turns in my book) the title took over the years which certainly wouldn't be improved with better visuals.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I would say that I'd never leave a game because its graphics were dated.

It's a non-issue for me.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    i wish i weren't so shallow, but yes, if DAoC or AO or EQ ever got a graphics overhaul i would certainly be interested.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by chelan
    i wish i weren't so shallow, but yes, if DAoC or AO or EQ ever got a graphics overhaul i would certainly be interested.

But it doesn't make the game any better.  I spent at least 4 months at the end, subbed to AO and doing nothing.  I'd log in, I'd consider my options, try to figure out what I wanted to do, realize I didn't want to play the game and log off.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  I wasted a ton of money at the end before I realized I didn't want to be playing the game at all.  There's only so long you can go on playing a game before you run out of things to do.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Yes, I would.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Not just graphical upgrades but a general facelift & redesign would definitely take me back to UO.

If they shifted UO to third person view, full 3D with updated sound but kept the old gameplay systems & maybe added some questing ontop of the great sandbox they had it could be great IMHO.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Some of them...  Like these off the top of my head:

Starcraft 1

Diablo II

Phantasmagoria

Zelda LTTP and OoT

And here are a couple that I'd play right now but there aren't enough other people playing/server shutdown:

Planetside 1

SWG

Soldat

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

Asherons Call with a new  Graphic Engine would be a BIG Hit

And yeah I know SC2 has a BW custom map but nobody plays it so its hard to get a multiplayer going for it with people at my skill level.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

Originally posted by aktalat

I'd play Plentside 1 and SWG in a heartbeat as well :(

Actually I always wanted a Planetside 1 + SWG combination game, realtime shooter combat and mega-crafting, I'd literally buy a lifetime subscription if they ever made a game like that :)

They came out at the same time so I used to jump between them with my guild....  That was probably the greatest time for me as far as MMOs go.  Between them they had almost everything I could want.  Would be crazy to combine them.

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330

Imo its one thing to play for nostalgia and another to play a modern game with bad graphics...i would never try a modern game with bad graphics because it usually means they didnt put nor will put much effort into it....There are 2 sides to a coin....imo both graphics AND gameplay matter, having one without the other is a no no.

Edit: That being said, hell yes id probably try a few i never got to play.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I don't know, UO's 2D graphics were part of the charm.

I thought EQ looked like garbage in comparison, and the 3rd Dawn 3Dish update to UO was a huge steaming pile.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by Foreverdream

Simply put, Would you play older games if they JUST updated the graphics? nothing else would be changed.  EQ, FF11, DAoC etc

Lots of people said exactly that about WoW. At least people I know personally - I may just know *a lot* of gfx whores.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

Dunno about MMOs (though the longer running ones tend to look better with each expansion - if only somewhat), but other games? Sure.

I still play Counter-Strike and I probably wouldn't anymore if it weren't for Source and now Global Offensive.

I used to play new iterations of Unreal Tournament (before that game tanked - what a shame) which were basically the same game with better graphics (UT99->UT2k3/2k4->UT3).

I play a lot of the HD remakes on consoles like TMNT: Turtles in time, Street Figter 2 HD etc.

• AesowhreapAesowhreap Member Posts: 78

I would play older games if they still existed. Or, if they were turned into mmo's i would play them. if the game was made well enough its not the graphics i want.

Best Regards, ...

• miramira2miramira2 Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Anarchy Online,