Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quarterly raport from NCSoft

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Larsa
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

I'll just copy the math of one poster on Massively. It seems about right IMO

If I'm reading that chart right and do the conversion, it comes to $42,207,367.20.  If I divide that by the $60 per box, that comes to 703,456.12 copies of the game sold.

HOWEVER, this is publisher profit, not overall game revenue.  Publishers make 30% average of the sales of a game.  So, we'd have to multiply the $42,207,367.20 by 3.33, which equals $140,550,532.776. Dividing that by the $60 box price is 2,342,508.87 copies sold.  Now, instead we need to estimate that roughly 10,000 CE copies ($150 each were sold), so that's $1,500,000., meaning we'd have to remove 25,000 of the normal copies and replace with 10,000 CE copies. 

Grand total copies of GW2 sold: 2,327,508.87. (Or 2.3 million)

Complete bullshit, It's a consolidated financial report, i.e. it includes financial reporting from all subsidiaries, and Arena Net is a 100% subsidiary.

The massively article shows earning per game, am on my pad and can't open the source document but they state the numbers are in the report.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    ]By that time, expasion will come that require full box price.

Really? And when is the expansion coming out? Because you obviously know.

$42 million would mean less than 700,000 copies sold. And thats not including any gems sales.

But also didnt see when the period ended. So, this might only account for a couple days.

But from the press release and subsequent sales data we can figure that GW2 is definitely over 2.5 million in sales.

With that in mind the 4th quarter will obviously be much bigger for Guild Wars 2. So I cant wait for the posts exclaiming "see! GW2 is growing! Haters and trolls proven wrong!"

We wont get a hint at how GW2 will perform long term until 1st quarter 2013 and 2nd quarter 2013.

Ncsoft does not get $60 a box how many times is this mistake going to happen? and the period ended Sept 30th just divide 12 by 3 and count the months to get which quarter it is, its that simple.

I won't be looking up the source I used before anyone asks, do your own search, but when I looked at this whilst discussing SWTOR I read that the publisher gets around 25-35$ for a 60$ game.

Yeah I imagine so, though SW:TOR was said to have about 40% online sales and you could only get it from Origin whereas Arenanet had many 3rd party online retailers so 42 million isn't looking to good at the moment when you factor in it could be more than 40% digital and not all customers went direct to Ncsoft.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I always find this useful for currencies.. http://uk.reuters.com/business/currencies

$42,191,460

£26,415,876

32,833,432 Euro

Holy profiteering batman! So much for the notion that B2P means they don't make any money HA!

Originally posted by Omnifish
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    ]By that time, expasion will come that require full box price.

Really? And when is the expansion coming out? Because you obviously know.

$42 million would mean less than 700,000 copies sold. And thats not including any gems sales.

But also didnt see when the period ended. So, this might only account for a couple days.

But from the press release and subsequent sales data we can figure that GW2 is definitely over 2.5 million in sales.

With that in mind the 4th quarter will obviously be much bigger for Guild Wars 2. So I cant wait for the posts exclaiming "see! GW2 is growing! Haters and trolls proven wrong!"

We wont get a hint at how GW2 will perform long term until 1st quarter 2013 and 2nd quarter 2013.

Ncsoft does not get $60 a box how many times is this mistake going to happen? and the period ended Sept 30th just divide 12 by 3 and count the months to get which quarter it is, its that simple.

If it's a digital sale from their own online shop they'll get more then the usual half the publisher gets traditionaly, (the other half going to distrubtors, packaging, merchants etc).

Will the get the full amount on a digital sale? No, there's server/storage costs to consider which are considerable.  Still it's an attractive deal to most publishers as they see more of the money then from a box game.  I'd think most people purchased from the online store but that's more of a feeling based on peoples reactions here and other forums.  I have no real proof but it would be great to see those figures to confirm :D

Remember in this case the Publisher and Developer are the same company and GW2 was put out to a few 3rd party digital resellers so it might as well be a box sale.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by itgrowls

I always find this useful for currencies.. http://uk.reuters.com/business/currencies

$42,191,460

£26,415,876

32,833,432 Euro

Holy profiteering batman! So much for the notion that B2P means they don't make any money HA!

And remember that was for a little over 1 month not 3 months. I think people are forgetting that point also.

$42,191,460

£26,415,876

32,833,432 Euro

Those numbers are gross not net profit.

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

If you consider that a P2P + cash shop available in ONE COUNTRY (B&S) makes close figures to a B2P released basically worldwide (GW2)... I wouldn't "HA" that much. I'm literally shocked by the results, I expected much different figures (as in Gw2 making 10x B&S).

[mod edit]

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    This report is indicating underwhelming results, but my faith in Arenanet is still high; they will prevail eventually.
  • ducesettutamducesettutam Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Just an FYI for those that might not be familiar with international monetary conversion. Using an online source gives you the direct exchange rate conversion. In most cases it does not however factor in the exchange rate fees, which most banks charge at around 4%. Since international trade is conducted in USD this has a very important effect on these reported incomes. For instance for every $100 of sales in the US $4 would be lost in the exchange rate fee to the KRW. This effect is more telling on Europeans in that the exchange rate is assesed for converting from the Euro to the dollar and then again from the dollar to the KRW.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by samvenice

If you consider that a P2P + cash shop available in ONE COUNTRY (B&S) makes close figures to a B2P released basically worldwide (GW2)... I wouldn't "HA" that much. I'm literally shocked by the results, I expected much different figures (as in Gw2 making 10x B&S).

But maybe apart from playing it wrong, I am also reading numbers wrong, and viewing worldmap wrong - but what do I know, I must be a wrong-doer.

i don't think your reading it wrong, though i was surprised to see that Aion is making more than double the amount that GW2 is, if anything it looks like GW2 is among NCSofts least profitable enterprises, wonder if they have any plans to increase earnings from the game?image

Originally posted by ducesettutam
    Just an FYI for those that might not be familiar with international monetary conversion. Using an online source gives you the direct exchange rate conversion. In most cases it does not however factor in the exchange rate fees, which most banks charge at around 4%. Since international trade is conducted in USD this has a very important effect on these reported incomes. For instance for every $100 of sales in the US $4 would be lost in the exchange rate fee to the KRW. This effect is more telling on Europeans in that the exchange rate is assesed for converting from the Euro to the dollar and then again from the dollar to the KRW.

How does that ultimately affect the numbers? is it that you have to add on the exchange rate fee's or deduct them from the final numbers? be nice to know what the proper figures are.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by samvenice

i don't think your reading it wrong, though i was surprised to see that Aion is making more than double the amount that GW2 is, if anything it looks like GW2 is among NCSofts least profitable enterprises, wonder if they have any plans to increase earnings from the game?image

GW2 seems to be least profitable cos the game have not been release in China yet.

The rest of Ncsoft games are already in China.

If GW2 are released in China, they might blow away the rest of NCsoft games at making money. 

I got this logic by checking out Blizz report on their expansion.

Out of Blizz 10mill players, Pandaria sold only for 2 mill ++ within a week.

I would think the rest of the 7million players are in China.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by ducesettutam

Your exchange rate fee is based on Joe Blow general public guy.

You can exchange through a broker, biggest sum that I have done personally was 70k for which I was charged 0.23%

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by Giddian
    Originally posted by Xasapis
    Looks like Blade & Soul is doing better than GW2, considering that it's only available in Korea.

Are you reading the Same thing I am?

GW2  45,841

B&S   32,662

GW2 has 13,179 More. How is B&S doing Better?

The "considering it's only available in Korea" part suggests that a game available in far more countries should do a lot better, but isn't.

Reading is fun.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/07/ncsoft-3q-report-shows-gw2-at-top-of-global-sales/

This wasn't made by me:

If I'm reading that chart right and do the conversion, it comes to $42,207,367.20.  If I divide that by the $60 per box, that comes to 703,456.12 copies of the game sold.

HOWEVER, this is publisher profit, not overall game revenue.  Publishers make 30% average of the sales of a game.  So, we'd have to multiply the $42,207,367.20 by 3.33, which equals $140,550,532.776. Dividing that by the $60 box price is 2,342,508.87 copies sold.  Now, instead we need to estimate that roughly 10,000 CE copies ($150 each were sold), so that's $1,500,000., meaning we'd have to remove 25,000 of the normal copies and replace with 10,000 CE copies. 

Grand total copies of GW2 sold: 2,327,508.87. (Or 2.3 million)

the above comment wasn't made by me, so I could be wrong.

and on the Blade and Soul, Blade and Soul has a huge following in Korea, is a sub based game, and while it has yet to release in USA, it can be expected that it will not do well. So, Guild Wars 2 is actually more profitable (ATM) than Blade and Soul. Long term, B and S has the advantage. Long, long term, Guild Wars 2 has the advantage.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by xmenty

I got this logic by checking out Blizz report on their expansion.

Out of Blizz 10mill players, Pandaria sold only for 2 mill ++ within a week.

I would think the rest of the 7million players are in China.

Love how this still gets said after the same thing happened with every previous expansion (a certain number sold first day/week, then a lot more in the upcoming months).

[mod edit]

Well mr. smarty pants! Explain how sometimes a company holds a portion profits over until the following quater, in this case box sales. Is that non-gaap revenue?

edit- and cool story. For real cool story image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JackFrostyJackFrosty Member Posts: 103
    Just goes to show B2P is just a fad and how little money it actually really makes.

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

Originally posted by SonicTHI

Isnt this report in fiscal quarters?
    Q3=actual Q2
    The numbers make more sense that way considering preorder in april.

EA is the only gaming company I know who reports numbers this way, but they do not call it 3rd qt. They call it 2nd qt. 

This is NCsofts 3rd qt report. July, Aug, Sept. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by bcbully

This is NCsofts 3rd qt report. July, Aug, Sept. 

This is basically the 2~ million sales they announced in September plus the rest of September and cash shop sales.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/13/guild-wars-2-breaks-the-two-million-sales-mark/

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by JackFrosty
    Just goes to show B2P is just a fad and how little money it actually really makes.

Please - that is the stupidest line I have read on this site.

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298

Lineage 1 >>>>>>>>> Lineage 2 >>>>>>>>>> all

Oh man, I miss Lineage 1, the only thing I can do now is waiting for Lineage Eternal.