Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quarterly raport from NCSoft

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    ]By that time, expasion will come that require full box price.

Really? And when is the expansion coming out? Because you obviously know.

$42 million would mean less than 700,000 copies sold. And thats not including any gems sales.

But also didnt see when the period ended. So, this might only account for a couple days.

But from the press release and subsequent sales data we can figure that GW2 is definitely over 2.5 million in sales.

With that in mind the 4th quarter will obviously be much bigger for Guild Wars 2. So I cant wait for the posts exclaiming "see! GW2 is growing! Haters and trolls proven wrong!"

We wont get a hint at how GW2 will perform long term until 1st quarter 2013 and 2nd quarter 2013.

Ncsoft does not get $60 a box how many times is this mistake going to happen? and the period ended Sept 30th just divide 12 by 3 and count the months to get which quarter it is, its that simple.

I won't be looking up the source I used before anyone asks, do your own search, but when I looked at this whilst discussing SWTOR I read that the publisher gets around 25-35$ for a 60$ game.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

AS far as GW2 goes, the improtant thing is to see how much they gross from the gem store every month.

If we judge by the GW2 fans here who insist it's B2P and they don't need to buy Gems then it will not break the bank.

To be fair and yes realistic, you dont need to buy gems, now want on the other hand is a different story.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Dalano
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer
    Doesn't look very impressive for a super anticipated AAA mmo that just launched. Being B2P means that it has already returned most of its revenue to the company. I mean, it's less money than AION made on the first quarter this same year. I'm looking forward to see the next quarter, when no more boxes are being sold and they'll only make profit from those that still keep playing and use use the gemshop.

Err, since it's a third quarter report and GW2 didn't release until the end of August, that's pretty much September only. Looks pretty good for one month to me. Q4 will really tell the tale though.

Most sales occur at release and decline, especially true for a game hyped to the max Pre-release.

Also I would hazzard a guess that most people prepurchsed for the full amount and that would be included in Q3.

Could be wrong of course, but the bangwagon was at it's strongest in the summer months after the prepurchase became avaliable.  Generally most MMO's don't grow beyond the release date.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

How can we be certain that this is a legitimate press release? I looked at the website for NCSoft Global under the Press Release section and there is nothing about this at al

http://global.ncsoft.com/global/board/boardlist.aspx?BID=mc_press

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Xasapis
    Looks like Blade & Soul is doing better than GW2, considering that it's only available in Korea.

Are you reading the Same thing I am?

GW2  45,841

B&S   32,662

GW2 has 13,179 More. How is B&S doing Better?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

AS far as GW2 goes, the improtant thing is to see how much they gross from the gem store every month.

If we judge by the GW2 fans here who insist it's B2P and they don't need to buy Gems then it will not break the bank.

That wasn't really my point.  I never spent cash but I did buy gems for gold.  if that outlet wasn't available I still wouldn't have bought gems for cash.  At least not with the game in its current state.

ANET absolutely has to make money from selling gems for cash.  I don't see it as an evil or bad model at all.  I wouldn't have been able to buy gems for gold if people weren't spending cash.

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

ok this is for sure strange numbers!

We know that GW2 fansites told that 13 september did GW2 break the 2 mill mark. with further sales added  and gemstore  money and digital sales as well as special editions, there is no way that the 42 mill earnings in Q3 can reflect all that.

The only way thesse numbers make sense is if alot of the box sales from stores havent been included yet.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    ]By that time, expasion will come that require full box price.

Really? And when is the expansion coming out? Because you obviously know.

$42 million would mean less than 700,000 copies sold. And thats not including any gems sales.

But also didnt see when the period ended. So, this might only account for a couple days.

But from the press release and subsequent sales data we can figure that GW2 is definitely over 2.5 million in sales.

With that in mind the 4th quarter will obviously be much bigger for Guild Wars 2. So I cant wait for the posts exclaiming "see! GW2 is growing! Haters and trolls proven wrong!"

We wont get a hint at how GW2 will perform long term until 1st quarter 2013 and 2nd quarter 2013.

Ncsoft does not get $60 a box how many times is this mistake going to happen? and the period ended Sept 30th just divide 12 by 3 and count the months to get which quarter it is, its that simple.

If it's a digital sale from their own online shop they'll get more then the usual half the publisher gets traditionaly, (the other half going to distrubtors, packaging, merchants etc).

Will the get the full amount on a digital sale? No, there's server/storage costs to consider which are considerable.  Still it's an attractive deal to most publishers as they see more of the money then from a box game.  I'd think most people purchased from the online store but that's more of a feeling based on peoples reactions here and other forums.  I have no real proof but it would be great to see those figures to confirm :D

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Actually that seems about right. 30% profit margin is actually good. Once you consider all the costs. Production,  packaging, payrolls and shipping distribution. Which is my personal business.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by QSatu
    And what are the chances of B&S doing amazing in the west? gW2 isn't released in Korea or China either so we can pretend if it were the sales would be much higher. We can talk like that all day and we would be wasting our time.

Well GW2 is pretty much in Korea... my server is like 50% Koreans. The talk in Lions arch, WvW, area, the mists, outside of dungeons, Korean text everywhere.

@Giddion - South Korea has a population of 46million and you need a Korean friend to give you a code to even manage to play games in Korea, GW2 is sold in all of North America and Europe as well as being accessible to anyone from any country, hence why half of my server speaks Korean.

If they released Blade and Soul globally the profits probably would have easily exceeded GW2, I think that's what Xasapis was getting at.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by Giddian
    Looks like Blade & Soul is doing better than GW2, considering that it's only available in Korea.

GW2  45,841

B&S   32,662

I'm guessing the "only available in Korea" part, vs GW2 in US, EU and whatnot.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

GW2  45,841

B&S   32,662

B&S has a CS and a sub also.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Well I can't see any other quarter looking better than this first one for GW2.

42 million aint bad, that's for sure. I know a couple other companies that would have loved to hit that mark over one month, but this really begs to question what the development cost was, and what is the development cost of the next expansion. If we get some of those numbers, (we won't) we'd get a good look at what could be expected in terms of free content, in the months to come. 

Interesting indeed. I wonder what's going to happen with the cash shop.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

GW2  45,841

B&S   32,662

regional-designations%3A-territories-and-countries, for all the places it has been released in.

Originally posted by eyelolled

How can we be certain that this is a legitimate press release? I looked at the website for NCSoft Global under the Press Release section and there is nothing about this at al

http://global.ncsoft.com/global/board/boardlist.aspx?BID=mc_press

http://global.ncsoft.com/global/ir/earnings.aspx

Desperate stuff there eyelolled, I simply went to the massively article linked in the op and read it and looked for the source at the bottom of the article. These are the financial earnings reports, these are more legit than ANYTHING else posted on these forums.

• ZierrityZierrity Member UncommonPosts: 242

GW2  45,841

B&S   32,662

As Xasapis stated, B&S has only been released in Korea so far, while Guild Wars 2 has been released in both EU and NA, I'm pretty sure that he means that B&S is doing really well in korea, considering how close the two numbers are.

But even though B&S is doing good in the East, We'll just have to see if it's going to succeed in the West as well :)

Personally I love the game, played it in open beta, but as I am one of many, my opinion doesnt really have much to say xD

Originally posted by jondifool

ok this is for sure strange numbers!

We know that GW2 fansites told that 13 september did GW2 break the 2 mill mark. with further sales added  and gemstore  money and digital sales as well as special editions, there is no way that the 42 mill earnings in Q3 can reflect all that.

The only way thesse numbers make sense is if alot of the box sales from stores havent been included yet.

No expert, but aren't companies able to hold some box sales for a quarter or so? I think that's called "gaap revenue". 

If so this may be the answer to some of the questions about  "starnge numbers".

Originally posted by cybertrucker
    Actually that seems about right. 30% profit margin is actually good. Once you consider all the costs. Production,  packaging, payrolls and shipping distribution. Which is my personal business.

This is the earnings report not profits.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

I'll just copy the math of one poster on Massively. It seems about right IMO

If I'm reading that chart right and do the conversion, it comes to $42,207,367.20.  If I divide that by the $60 per box, that comes to 703,456.12 copies of the game sold.

HOWEVER, this is publisher profit, not overall game revenue.  Publishers make 30% average of the sales of a game.  So, we'd have to multiply the $42,207,367.20 by 3.33, which equals $140,550,532.776. Dividing that by the $60 box price is 2,342,508.87 copies sold.  Now, instead we need to estimate that roughly 10,000 CE copies ($150 each were sold), so that's $1,500,000., meaning we'd have to remove 25,000 of the normal copies and replace with 10,000 CE copies. 

Grand total copies of GW2 sold: 2,327,508.87. (Or 2.3 million)

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

If I'm reading that chart right and do the conversion, it comes to $42,207,367.20.  If I divide that by the $60 per box, that comes to 703,456.12 copies of the game sold.

HOWEVER, this is publisher profit, not overall game revenue.  Publishers make 30% average of the sales of a game.  So, we'd have to multiply the $42,207,367.20 by 3.33, which equals $140,550,532.776. Dividing that by the $60 box price is 2,342,508.87 copies sold.  Now, instead we need to estimate that roughly 10,000 CE copies ($150 each were sold), so that's $1,500,000., meaning we'd have to remove 25,000 of the normal copies and replace with 10,000 CE copies. 

Um not really.  It ignores the higher income per sale for digital versions.

The table from the original post was far from informative.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Complete bullshit, It's a consolidated financial report, i.e. it includes financial reporting from all subsidiaries, and Arena Net is a 100% subsidiary.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

Got a source for this 30% average profit? That's kinda a sketchy number.  

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by NBlitz

GW2  45,841

B&S   32,662

regional-designations%3A-territories-and-countries, for all the places it has been released in.

Oh wow, I didn't know GW2 was released basically everywhere...even North Korea is on the list lol.

That works logically, I would have thought it would be higher than 30% taking into account digital downloads, but its a reasonable ballpark estimate, you will have to factor in currency exchange differences from when prices were set to when the sale was logged if you were to get an accurate figure. 2m plus a little looks a reasonable estimate of sales from these results.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by NBlitz

GW2  45,841

B&S   32,662

Oh wow, I didn't know GW2 was released basically everywhere...even North Korea is on the list lol.

Woops, just followed the link I found on www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-world-of-choice-the-regions-of-guild-wars-2/

This seems to make more sense.

What countries and languages will Guild Wars 2 be available in?

The retail release of Guild Wars 2 is intended for the Americas, Europe, Australia & New Zealand, Africa, and the Middle East. It will be available in English, French, and German, with a text-only localized version in Spanish.

Thanks Pivolite image