Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Salem: Beta Key Giveaway!

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

MMORPG.com has partnered with Paradox Interactive and Seatribe to give away keys to the Salem beta test. If you're a huge fan of sandbox MMOs with an emphasis on crafting, you'll definitely want to check this one out!

Grab a key here!

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Neat

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Salem is a nice little sandbox MMO, shame my account is screwed and I can't get back at the moment, come on Paradox Customer Service, I want to get back crafting.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Permadeath equals eventual failure for any game.  I doubt this game will last a year.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Permadeath is the least of this games problems.

Joined - July 2004

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Permadeath equals eventual failure for any game.  I doubt this game will last a year.

It's already lasted longer than a year with a very dedicated base of testers.

Do you ever have anything positive to say?

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Originally posted by Kost

I know for a fact I RARELY have anything positive to say. 2012 was a flop for games and I am bitter!

• April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316

A very small dedicated base of testers, having permadeath badly limits the scope of your audience, this will be a small time game and maybe wont be around after a year of release

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

Originally posted by Zeplini

A very small dedicated base of testers, having permadeath badly limits the scope of your audience, this will be a small time game and maybe wont be around after a year of release

This will be a small time game offering something different to people who want something different, it will be around for years. Popular does not = universal appeal.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

The point being, it did not need permadeath, it adds nothing positive to the game.  It could have survived very nicely without it.  Besides that it is a decently designed indy game, it has decent systems to keep people happily playing for some time.    Just a braindead decision by the developers.

The point being, it did not need permadeath, it adds nothing positive to the game.  It could have survived very nicely without it.  Besides that it is a decently designed indy game, it has decent systems to keep people happily playing for some time.    Just a braindead decision by the developers.

They are offering something others are not, they know there is a market for it and are aiming their product at it, they are not trying to attract those who are put off by permadeath. 

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

I played both Salem and Haven&Hearth from the same developers.

In my opinion, Salem has a number of good ideas, and a number of bad ones. I don't think permadeath is really anything that matters much in it's current state. Salem has a small population because the gameplay is not what most people find compelling. The sad thruth is that most people leave the game far before they have encountered PvP and permadeath.

I hope this next stage of beta adds more content and gameplay than the previous one.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by RefMinor

They are offering something others are not, they know there is a market for it and are aiming their product at it, they are not trying to attract those who are put off by permadeath. 

Awesome, I'm glad someone gets it.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    I think permadeath and harsh death penalties are what's needed people screamed for it for years . Now that its coming back we see the people who wanted a ez mode mmos flocking to posts like this complaining that the game won't last a year, funny I didn't know these complainers were professional business people! Other words, play the game and stop moaning nothi g better to say then don't post simple as that, I for one am looking forward to harsh death penalties! Time to bring the hard core mmorpgs back!
  • AesowhreapAesowhreap Member Posts: 78
    Im considering staying up all night because I woke up late and haven't found a good game to play yet. I want one of these keys.

Best Regards, ...

I read on twitter you can invite friends.

Best Regards, ...

• ZtyXZtyX Member UncommonPosts: 368
    I play Salem and it's been a very fun and intense time. I honestly recommend this game to people. I'm getting it when it comes out.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

so you are saying there are absolutely  no people, at all, who want perma death? none? Those discussions from people asking for permadeath games never, ever happen? ever?

Or perhaps there is a group of people who do want it and Salem caters to that? Perhaps the developers know it's a small group of players and they have taken that into consideraton?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    I think perma-death would leave me nervous enough to get something from playing a game that has it.

Best Regards, ...

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    diablo 2 had it, the new wizardry game is going to have it, and this game has it.  clearly some people want it...
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Oh, what the hell. I'll give it a go. Haven't been playing much in the MMO department aside from some Champions Online and hopping from one to the next (Vanguard, Fallen Earth, Lotro, DDO, STO, etc etc etc).
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I have to say the person who designed the UI for this game should be fired. Now.

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

I dont understand perma death in this game... its marketed as a sandbox crafting mmo? so where does perma death come in????

I understand it in darkfall and it adds to the game. But in this game? can someone explain?

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Thanks a lot, ready to log in now.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by spawn12345

I dont understand perma death in this game... its marketed as a sandbox crafting mmo? so where does perma death come in????

I understand it in darkfall and it adds to the game. But in this game? can someone explain?

Sorry but Darkfall does not have permadeath.

edit: and no you can not compare Darkfall and Salem gameplay in any sensible way.

• spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by StarI
    Originally posted by spawn12345

Sorry but Darkfall does not have permadeath.

Sorry I meant full loot, I see them almost the same. :p

You lose almost everything on death.

I didnt compare them.... I asked a question...