Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play older games if they just updated the graphics?

ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141

Simply put, Would you play older games if they JUST updated the graphics? nothing else would be changed.  EQ, FF11, DAoC etc

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Foreverdream

Simply put, Would you play older games if they JUST updated the graphics? nothing else would be changed.  EQ, FF11, DAoC etc

Has anyone ever said they left a game because the graphics became dated?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PhlaccPhlacc Member UncommonPosts: 45
    If the game was still relevant to me, I would. I'm sure there are some older MMO's out there that could use an overhaul. I'm still waiting for AO to get that game engine update implemented, once that happens I'll proabably start playing again.
  • Vion1xVion1x Member Posts: 188

I'm playing Quake live (Quake 3 free in a web browser) so i guess that answer it for me :)

Graphics = 10%

gameplay = 90%

Thats my personal view on it.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

True

A fresh server is more important to me for a restart then graphics tbh. More games should offer them on a regular basis (even if they have to merge to bottom two existing ones to do it). I have never been put off a game because of 'dated' visuals.

• PhlaccPhlacc Member UncommonPosts: 45

Well, on a lot of MMO's, maybe not so much lately, but people used to cry on the forums about how the graphics are "dated" and it ruined the game for them, this is on release day. I even remember people complaining about TOR's graphics on the forums, stateing they are gonna quit. If they actually did, can't say.

There are so many people that look at graphics first. You see it all the time, "I'm not gonna play that game, the graphics look horrible".

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Would I check it out, yes but for me to actually play it again it has to be a proper engine upgrade that enhances the whole experience through new animations, better and more responsive combat, perhaps day/night or weather and other advantages that come through a new engine. I'm specifically thinking about a game like runescape that I loved but is unplayable now due to it's dated backend technology. 
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Considering most MMO's today don't retain players long enough for the graphics to get to that point, I'd say no.

That said, a lot of the older games that the OP mentions (and tons of people wax on about nostalgically), would be great examples of games that would benefit from updated graphics engine.

You make me like charity

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,360
    a FFXI until COP with FFXIV graphics  :Q_________
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    Yes I would like to see old games with modern graphics, D2, FFVII ....  But not any MMOs.
  • roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Yes .
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Graphics is not why I quit AO
  • Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Graphics aren't the reason I ended up quitting EQ...but I would go back if they updated the graphics AND started fresh with the original and maybe Kunark and Velious, but not releasing any expansions for quite a while after that. 

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• jungleninjajungleninja Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Well if they only update the gfx then no. Gfx arent the main thing for me. They do help alot, but gameplay and mostly fun is the main thing. If some games would just really spend some needed love in their game, it would be nice. But not the patch up and hope to sell you crap for alot of coin.
  • obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

UO with better graphics?

Would probably be EA's mmo with the most subscriptions :P

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    I still play NES emulator games on a regular basis.  Graphics has absolutely nothing to do with my decision to play / not play a game.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Graphics is not why I quit AO

Same,if they rollback servers to the time before WoW updates and pay to win cash shops,and AO is not the only one.

1. AO,3 accounts open right away ,with updated graphics,wouldnt hurt.

2.Vanilla WoW with updated graphics,sure im ready for some world PvP.

3.3d Ultima Online,mmm ,life time sub 1000€ doesnt matter.

honorable mentions to Vanguard and SWG,those games with perfectly working engine,sure give.

Let's internet

• uberowouberowo Member Posts: 18
    Yes I would. I've tried to go back to DAoC and Vanguard several times together with a friend, since we feel most new mmos are lacking in one way or another, but I simply can't do it because of the extremely dated graphics. Just can't get into it. (Graphics was not a factor at all in why I quit, as they were fine in thet regard when I played them (from launch). )
  • DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

Graphics are only a part of it. In the case of FFXI (which I am an avid fan of, as most of you know) it would have to return to the old days for me to want to play it again, the last 2 expansion packs have made it /easymode

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    I guess if you look at it a certain way I probably would.  I love some of the older games.  I just enjoy playing with my friends more.  I have had them try EQ along with other games, and they said that they enjoyed the gameplay.  They just couldn't get past the graphics.  For me it's not really an issue because I played the games before, but for a completely new person playing it does cause issues.  In the end I would rather play what I consider to be a lesser game with people that I have known for 30 years than an amazing game without them.  
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Depends what we are considering graphic upgrade. It that would mean character re-customization I would probably check back on EQ2 and LOTRO. LOTRO has really nice graphic though, but their characters are just wooden dolls, I can't make myself to play it mostly because of that... and endless grind LOL, but upgraded, immersible characters would help. Animations really sucks in this game. EQ2 is so much better in this area, but still would need a major upgrade.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

Would take a lot more than purely the graphics, so much more it would qualify as practically a new game anyway.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

I left EQ  due to try new things. Ithought about goiing back once and the went on YouTube and watched a few videos and was like Wow I used to think that looked good. Afterwards I changed my mind and never went back. I have said before to my friends I would go back if they upped the graphics.

i left AION due to silly skins they started putting in. Like lollipop weapon skins

• DogloksDogloks Member Posts: 2

I would play Asherons Call (DT) in a heartbeat if they did a new server and had the equivalent of WoW graphics/UI.

In all my years of MMO playing nothing has come even close to the satisfaction and enjoyment of AC Darktide...

• YamaedaYamaeda Member Posts: 22

Basically the new X-COM is a graphic overhaul of the original and it's awesome! Didn't Monkey Island sell pretty well with the new graphics? If we're talking really old games then yes, many of those were really good ideas but will make your eyes bleed nowadays. If we're talking 'old' games (dx7-9) it is a hinder to get new players, but should chase existing players away.

AO is a good example, i quit because it got too grindy, not because of the graphics, but i'll gladly give it a couple of months with a graphics overhaul because the ideas are solid.

/Y

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    If they updated the graphics to EQ 1, I would re-sub before I finished this sentence!imageimage

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!