Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if TESO ends up a WoW clone, would you still play it?

Comments

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

If it turns out to be a wow clone it shows that bethesda/zenimax didnt learn a fucking thing from SWTOR and its back to playing nothing because if i want to play WO, then id play wow you know why, because wow still exists.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• Arcondo87Arcondo87 Member Posts: 94
    WTF is TESO?
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I think this "wow clone" garbage has been dragged trough this forums for way to long...

If the game shows up to be good enough to keep me interested, I'd def. play it.

Also, what exactly is a wow clone?!

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by korent1991

Obviously there is no definition of it, but most people that use this phrase agree that it is:  mmorpg that is almost purely combat oriented and which include very fast levelling and offer matchmaking instance-based gameplay as it's main dish.

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

I'd play anything that has exactly the same RvR core-mechanic of daoc as the one and only mean of "end-game content", with the same type of "pvp based progression" expanding your character's skills customization options (more passives? more actives? a bit of both?) and close to no end-game gear progression (basically daoc2.0).

If to get to the endgame I have to kill millions of rats and clear hundreds of quest hubs or whatever it is that defines the pve portion of the game a wow-clone, as long as the endgame is what I mentioned above I will play it, pay subs, tolerate cash shops, whatever.

Gw2 wasn't that game, planetside2 certainly is not that game (even tho I will give this one a serious shot too in couple weeks), will TESO be that game? (probably not, one can always dream)

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    If WoW was a vanilla WoW clone with updated graphics I'd freakin play it, so yes lol. Now if by clone you mean a sad attempt to cash in on concepts in WoW, then probably not. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I dont' know as I would like to see the game in action. Heck, I had no intention of playing SWToR and after I tried it I loved it. Up to the point where i ran out of content.

We'll see. A fun game is a fun game. I don't need a game to always be "open world" nor do I hate all games that have more deliberate leveling paths.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Is this some kind of rhetorical question?

• fonoifonoi Member UncommonPosts: 56
    No, I am finished with themeparks. Waiting for a decent sandbox, in the meantime I voted with my wallet and play eve online and runescape now.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Personally I'm already tired with fantasy. ESO is entering a market with yet another fantasy themed mmorpg, so part of the appeal is lost right there.

As for the WoW clone characterisation, it can't be further from the mmorpg reality. WoW itself is a chameleon, copying throught the years everything their competition was introducing, to the point where there is nothing original in WoW besides phasing and the ability to not feel like playing a frankenstein monster after all this heavy doppleganging .

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by fenistil

Obviously there is no definition of it, but most people that use this phrase agree that it is:  mmorpg that is almost purely combat oriented and which include very fast levelling and offer matchmaking instance-based gameplay as it's main dish.

imo a glorified lobby game. a game where you sit in cities and queue to do small team activites once you hit endgame, also with a heavy gear dependancy, and a strong emphasis on tiered raiding as the "pro game".  Not all post 2004 themeparks are wowclone.

why i think the "GW2 is a wow clone" stuff is nonsense.  Also War and Aion as they are more PVP focused.

but the term is more than apt for SWTOR, thousands of F2P chinese knock offs and to a lesser degree rift, aoc & lotro.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Didn't vote.

Small chance I'll play TESO anyway, I've stopped playing the big themeparks years ago.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i will likely try it, as long as its not a direct clone to wow which it doesn't look like it is.

i like the idea of going into ES style dungeons and caves and running into pvp there.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Xasapis
    Personally I'm already tired with fantasy. ESO is entering a market with yet another fantasy themed mmorpg, so part of the appeal is lost right there. As for the WoW clone characterisation, it can't be further from the mmorpg reality. WoW itself is a chameleon, copying throught the years everything their competition was introducing, to the point where there is nothing original in WoW besides phasing and the ability to not feel like playing a frankenstein monster after all this heavy doppleganging .

yep, battle grounds is a Daoc ripoff and raid/gear progression is an EQ rip off.

who cares? what i don't like is when games directly ripoff wow (like SWTOR)and have the same talent specs mirror wow's for example.

• asj18asj18 Member UncommonPosts: 86
    I would still play it. I expect there to be some simularities it is an mmo (nah duh) but I am sure there will be enough differences  to keep me interested and happy to play.. it's the elder scrolls lore and I am all for it.

Games I will be playing are: TES V, SWTOR, ME 3, TSW

Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by Xasapis
    Personally I'm already tired with fantasy. ESO is entering a market with yet another fantasy themed mmorpg, so part of the appeal is lost right there.

As for the WoW clone characterisation, it can't be further from the mmorpg reality. WoW itself is a chameleon, copying throught the years everything their competition was introducing, to the point where there is nothing original in WoW besides phasing and the ability to not feel like playing a frankenstein monster after all this heavy doppleganging .

yep, battle grounds is a Daoc ripoff and raid/gear progression is an EQ rip off.

who cares? what i don't like is when games directly ripoff wow (like SWTOR)and have the same talent specs mirror wow's for example.

no wow battlegrounds share the same name but are entirely different to daoc battlegrounds.

wow battlegrounds are instanced matches between 2 equally matched teams.

daco battlegrounds are not instanced and are not matches, they are continuously playing singular persistent "leveling pvp" areas.  Also once you are leveled in daoc you can no longer go battlegrounds.  The closest modern thing to a daoc battleground would be tsws fusang projects or a singular wvw map from gw2.

wow did steal instanced dungeons from anarchy online and arena from city of heroes though

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

This poll is missing the option:

No, I like WoW but we already have it, why play another one?

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by EndDream

This poll is missing the option:

No, I like WoW but we already have it, why play another one?

Agreed, but we also need: "Doesn't matter if it's like WoW, I won't play it if it's not like TES"

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Never played WoW so don't really care if it plays like WoW or not. I will definitelly try TESO as I am fan of TES. I usually do not decide if I will play game or not based on others experience, I like to make up my own mind about the game. If I like it, it's going to be my alternative MMO. If I don't like it, it will go on shelf like Aion, Rift, AoC and other games I tried and could not make myself to play for more then few weeks.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Bowser82Bowser82 Member Posts: 18

If you haven't seen this yet, worth the watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLp0ykvotEI&feature=plcp

:)

"You don't have much choice when trouble's riding your back so tight it makes the leather squeak. Sometimes you outsmart it, sometimes you outfight it, and sometimes you just have to outrun it... full throttle."

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Originally posted by fenistil

imo a glorified lobby game. a game where you sit in cities and queue to do small team activites once you hit endgame, also with a heavy gear dependancy, and a strong emphasis on tiered raiding as the "pro game".  Not all post 2004 themeparks are wowclone.

why i think the "GW2 is a wow clone" stuff is nonsense.  Also War and Aion as they are more PVP focused.

but the term is more than apt for SWTOR, thousands of F2P chinese knock offs and to a lesser degree rift, aoc & lotro.

I agre with everything above. Just wanted to see how people really define a wow clone to them selves outside of the "troll infested" subforums :))

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• MentalEventMentalEvent Member Posts: 8
    WOW clone what is that ? I mean WOW is one the most played MMO on the planet and u cant create MMO that dont have something from WOW ! U can change servers u can change zones u can change what eva u want but it will resemble WOW ! Its like some1 made venicle and called it CAR then u wanna make new car ! U will create extreamly simular car exept ur wont have 5 doors and wont have 2 coffie holders.... concept will be the same !
    Eve has nothing at all in common with wow
  • MentalEventMentalEvent Member Posts: 8
    Nothing? Really nothing?! mhm lol ok .  But what facinates me is all that hate towards wow ! Ok game is colorurfull u can get epilepcy from it but still dont get it why... hehe :)
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I won't be playing anymore pure themeparks at all, unless I see something extraordinarily outside the current norm.  So far, TESO is showing me nothing at all that seems exciting.  Sounds like more of the same with a few tweaks here and there.

^^^Pretty much this ^^^

I've had my fill of themepark/WoW clones. I'm hopping off the hamster wheel for a while.

As for the poll question. I think the reason most mmo's are failing within the first 6 months of release is BECAUSE they are all poorly made WoW clones. They at least need to be able to compete with the aging WoW game out of the box. They can't expect players to wait 6 mnths to a year for common features that should be in an mmo when it's released. It's almost 2013, they have got to have the basic features for an mmo if they want to compete.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot