Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Expansion Beta / what u think ?

MischiffMischiff Member Posts: 169

I played Rift from launch and really liked it.  Had to stop playing for a while and was back looking for a game to play when i saw that there was going to be an open beta for the new expansion, so I tried to get into it to see how things were progressing with the game only to find out that all my characters are coin locked so I couldnt copy them over to the beta.  Tried a low level character but only got to look at the old content for the most part.  

Question is for those of u getting to try it, what ya think ?

Comments

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342
    i am getting it as i like it, quite honestly the problems the original rift had when it released (tiny zones) seem to have vanished, am a bit worried about how some zones sorta look largely similar across the whole zone but will see when i get some proper play on it.
  • JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

I dislike the continueing imbal of classes /souls its almost as if they do not care to balance them.

I do like the server merge plans they are needed,

The healing nerf seems ok but not really. i mean it makes all the damage to healing classes a joke.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

It's massive and there's tons of new stuff. If anything about Rift interests you then having loads more of it isn't a bad thing.

As far as MMO expansions go I honestly think it's one of the biggest and one of the best ever made. A lot of work has been put into it.

If you didn't like Rift's core gameplay before then you probably still won't. If you did though, it's like disney world.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I'm bias to rift so yeah, expect a bias answer here.

I really enjoyed the new areas myself. Truthfully I didn't like the lack of 'quest hubs' of sorts as it feels a bit more open but at the same time it is nice as well. It gives a bit of a sense of 'freedom' in some ways while still keeping story elements in tact. In some ways it does actually a good job in keeping story alive with some main quests while taking out the feel of tedious quest tasks (granted you can claim those exist as onslaughts now :) )

Over-all I find it to be quite entertaining. Its a bit of a change up from the user and took more of the 'ember isle' approach they did in minimizing 'quests hubs' in exchange for making it feel a bit more open feel. The variety of class/build choices exists still (warriors being a bit of a mess from a warrior) which only feels that much bigger as another game this gets compared to yet again guts their own system. 

Dungeons were entertaining and I enjoyed them. Over-all you can feel that they actually want their game to do good (Game > Profit approach) which will only help make the game better as it goes on, something many others have no luxery of even if they wanted to (publishers suck for that).

Really though, the Beta lacks the real end game where I can make big judgements on. I'm a raider so truthfully all that stuff I'll need to wait to see how it is. So far I liked the beta a lot as they shift focus from quest hubs to much more free style of exploration or instant adventures which help freshen it up a bit. 

Again, Bias answer for liking Rift a lot so take it for what it is. 

• MischiffMischiff Member Posts: 169

yeah, i really like the open world rifts, I thought that the world seemed very small in the beginning.  Was wondering a bit why they made such a huge world but could only make one city that all the factions had to go to instead of making each their own. Was hoping the world was diverse and didnt all look simular.  I know the housing looks nice, but was hoping that wasnt the only big feature that was comming in the expansion.

im sure after watching some videos and reading what you have told me here, that ill just have to get it and try it for myself.  I have a 50 cleric and 50 mage and really liked playing before i had to stop, so i dont see any reason i wouldnt like going back. I like open world PVP and had been looking at DFUW also, and i might give it a try also, but i know i liked RIFT so ill just have to give it a try and see how much it has changed.

As for the way they done quest, sounds simular to GW2 and i really liked how i didnt have to go looking for a quest guy to get and turn in quest to.  so that part of questing sounds fun to me.

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    I'm curious is the xpac content only for levels 50+
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Dimensions is a game changer.

From what ive seen on youtube and read, most of it is 50+ but they said there is still stuff for new people also, and ways to help level up faster so u can get into the new content sooner.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Since you guys played the expansion beta, can you tell me how the new souls are used in the game? Do you have to start at level one again to use them or is there a way to incorporate them in your older character. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Since you guys played the expansion beta, can you tell me how the new souls are used in the game? Do you have to start at level one again to use them or is there a way to incorporate them in your older character. 

Everyone gets the new souls instantly (if you have the expansion). The game has changed now so that you don't learn or buy souls. When you start the game you have them all to choose from straight away, so you always have access to every soul for that calling. Put simple, your older characters will have the new souls.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by Jetrpg

I dislike the continueing imbal of classes /souls its almost as if they do not care to balance them.

The healing nerf seems ok but not really. i mean it makes all the damage to healing classes a joke.

I'd just like to point out (so there's no confusion) the server merges aren't your typical merges. New server hardware has allowed them to continually add more and more people to the servers. They have AT LEAST tripled in capacity since release. They are also capable of putting all US servers on the same war group so everyone can queue.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Rift has been my "go to" MMO since it launched. Right now you can get some insane XP for doing the sanctum grouping.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by tkoreaper
    Originally posted by Jetrpg

I'd just like to point out (so there's no confusion) the server merges aren't your typical merges. New server hardware has allowed them to continually add more and more people to the servers. They have AT LEAST tripled in capacity since release. They are also capable of putting all US servers on the same war group so everyone can queue.

Id like to point out that this post is misleading information.

Please explain where you are getting that the servers have tripled in capacity since launch?

They launched with a capacty of 1800.  That was raised to 2200.  This is the first raise since then.  1800 to 4400 isnt at least triple.  And its not like they will see that 4400 anyway.

And there were 16 NA servers.  4 of which were medium servers, the other 12 were low and at least half of the low servers were dead servers, as in less than 100 people online at prime time.

So while the servers may or may not be double what they were before, the merge was definitely needed to trim some of the dead servers so people coming back didnt log on to to the server and wonder why there were only 8 people in /who.

And Trion should be commended for doing ths before an expansion, too many games need to merge their servers and dont do it for fear of bad press.  Trion just tries as hard as they can to spin the bad press (they arent the first to company this year to talk of super servers as a reason behind a merge) but the game is much better off for it.

But dont come out with bs that its because the servers more than tripled in capacity.  Even if they did the players sure didnt. You would know if there were triple the players, with noly a couple zones (currently) that 50s go to they would be PACKED.  Sanctum would be a never ending sea of green condoms.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Everyone gets the new souls instantly (if you have the expansion). The game has changed now so that you don't learn or buy souls. When you start the game you have them all to choose from straight away, so you always have access to every soul for that calling. Put simple, your older characters will have the new souls.

Thank you Vannor! That is good to know, I was worried I would have to start again. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• CamoebCamoeb Member UncommonPosts: 53
    It's been years since i've really been excited about an expansion in any MMO. After playing the beta SL is the first expansion i've been excited about in years. You feel like theres almost an overwhelming amount of new content and things to do rather than just rushing to the new lvl cap and gearing up for raiding. The new city looks amazing it's by far my favorite city in any MMO to date.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by DMKano

I think it's totally worth it, even if you're starting at level 1 you can get to 50 very fast these days. The expansion content (which is 3x the size of original game) is pretty stunning.

The fact that you can level up with new souls if you have the expansion is pretty sweet as well. I am very excited about Rift again.

Its not 3x the size.  Trion is advertising its more than 2x the size of the current game, its not even that.

Its big, but not THAT big.

Enough with the hyperbole people.