Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

City of Heroes: NCSoft Responds to 'Save CoH' Movement

13»

Comments

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by rikwes

Anyone buy the "we did everything we can " statement  from a company which knowingly forged a resignation letter to be able to get rid of a game and the guy developing it ( and convicted for doing so ) ?  If I was Arenanet I'd secretly start negotiating with another publisher just in case NCsoft pulls another fast one on them ...

It's not that they decide to get rid of a title it's the fact they lie about just about everything when doing so ( and they do so every time they shut down a title in the west) . Fact of the matter is I have  long ago concluded the management of this company isn't even slightly interested in western hemisphere and it shows every time .Most annoying is they don't even tell the developers when they decide to close a studio - not until the very last moment - so those folks are always still announcing new content  or maintaining there's  "no chance in hell the game shuts down " ( 48 hours before press release announcing shutdown of Tabula Rasa   I vividly recall ) ...that's simply very bad manners .

Google.... Ncsoft buys Arenanet 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• armanth13armanth13 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    NcSoft got a few solid cash offers on CoH, they turned them down, yet in a few public releases said they couldn't find buyers...  What I don't get is Aion is losing them cash, CoH was actually making them money...from a business standpoint that is corporate suicide.  Is NcSoft a Publically traded company?  I'd buy a hundred shares in order to go to a shareholder meeting and ask, so why did you shut down a program that was making money and keep one that is leaking cash?   
  • armanth13armanth13 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    That's the thing, Aion is losing NcSoft money, CoH was making them money it was turning a descent profit...  And they turned down offers, and not like here's 10 grand, if I remember right, and I don't remember where I read it, might have to re-google it, but some company did offer them millions for it, and for a game that they are scrapping, the potential profit means squat.
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by armanth13
    That's the thing, Aion is losing NcSoft money, CoH was making them money it was turning a descent profit...  And they turned down offers, and not like here's 10 grand, if I remember right, and I don't remember where I read it, might have to re-google it, but some company did offer them millions for it, and for a game that they are scrapping, the potential profit means squat.

You have a credible source that AION is losing money? If it was losing money they would not still be pumping out large and good content, which it is.CoH is the game that finally broke me of my Evercrack addiction. It was a good game.  While it was a good game that had a SMALL community and if it did make a tiny profit. To keep it running and keep its small community satisfied they would have to had continued to pump a lot of money into it which could be better invested elsewhere. That's business 101. As for selling the IP why should they?  They might have plans for future projects maybe COH2 or hell even a movie. Superhero movies being the trend these days.

While I feel bad for the remaining fans, as a business owner myself, I realize sometimes you have to do what's best for their business. Real hard decisions I'm about to have to sell 2 of my trucks and let my 2 drivers go due to last nights election which is hard to do but it's a business decision that I had to make. 

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    At least we know now that they tried to sell it off.

• JamkullJamkull Member UncommonPosts: 214

was a really fun game, I played during beta and for about 3 months after release, then when I get bored of other games I always went back to play for awhile.  I've played on and off for the past 7 years.  It is the most unique when it comes to character design.  By far the most options of any game ever.  Including that of Champions Online.  

The only thing this game was lacking from newer games is a better physics engine.  other than that it was still the most solid Super hero MMO to date.  But  many refugees from CoH including myself have made our way to CO.  I'd much rather play COH, but oh well... I keep thinking maybe they were keeping a huge upgrade a secret and we will be fooled in a few days and see CoH2 announced... pretty sad to see it go.