Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] The Secret World: First Raid Revealed - The Manhattan Exclusion Zone

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom has partnered with MMORPG.com to bring our readers the first ever exclusive look at the raid soon to be incoming in The Secret World. Penned by the raid's designer, Graeme Lennon, the blog post gives inside information about the new raid. Read on and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

Like so many things in TSW, this raid was conceptualized a very long time ago, in early pre-production, as a part of the grand vision of the story arc. Imagery based on the events you'll soon be playing through were probably some of the first things you ever saw about the game. My intention was to give players the feeling they were actually playing through some of our early teaser videos, that they had truly become the heroes we were showing in those clips. After “fun” and “awesome”, of course. Those always come first!

Read more of Graeme Lennon's The Secret World: First Raid Revealed - The Manhattan Exclusion Zone.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• johnnychangsjohnnychangs Member UncommonPosts: 261
    I thought this went in with the October update.  Another reason why cancelling back in August was a good idea.
  • HluillHluill Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Cool stuff.  I wish I had the stomach for raiding...

TSW, LotRO, EQ2, SWTOR, GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO, BDO, SotA, B&S, ESO, 

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381
    How many weeks or months ago was this supposed to be released again?

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

Already unsubbed but will check the game out again when they release Tokyo, maybe.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Ignoring the whinney old goats above (Who I think would complain if they won the Lottery Jackpot!) this is a good addition and worth the wait.
  • spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by saxifr

it was supposed to release this month since they first announced it.. I dont know what you are talking about

It was always meant for patch 1.4

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by saxifr

1 week ago.  Gratz on your comment -1

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

Originally posted by johnnychangs
    I thought this went in with the October update.  Another reason why cancelling back in August was a good idea.

So you would cancel a game as the updqe was 7 days late?  How do you live in the real world?

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

hehe, just like someone said above it just gives people a reason to complain...

Oh and believe me they will about anything and everything....

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Gratz to the TSW team. These guys are moving things along very nicely. I can't wait to see what this game looks like next year.

TSW is getting better, you can't deny that, and if they keep this pace, oh boy. As it stands Funcom is second only to  RIFT in pace of content updates. Good Job Joel, keep it coming.

ps - now give me meh pvp! :p

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

Gratz to the TSW team. These guys are moving things along very nicely. I can't wait to see what this game looks like next year.

TSW is getting better, you can't deny that, and if they keep this pace, oh boy. As it stands Funcom is second only to  RIFT in pace of content updates. Good Job Joel, keep it coming.

ps - now give me meh pvp! :p

Big PVP update/changes in 1.4 I believe.

• warhippowarhippo Member Posts: 2
    To all the complaining folks who un-subbed... please, do not feel the need to come back, I am sure you will hate it. And try to avoid commenting on the game you no longer play too. A win-win for all concerned.
  • gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281
    I'm willing to come back for this one, but I'm having the hardest time finding a progression guild on European time. This was somewhat of an issue even at launch, but I think it's reaaaally a major problem now. Hope the devs release more "candy" for players so that many of them resub this month...
  • spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I think making a raid was a bad move on their part.  It's expensive content to create and really lazy design to try and encourage group play.

This game has so much potential for doing non-standard things.  Why a raid?  I've read this is an experiment and it will be interesting to watch how the content fares.  In my opinion, it's a mistake.

Funcom devs think the same

Thats why they arent concentrating on raids as much as other mmo's. It will be like 1 raid per year, if even that

But they will be awesome and unique

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Totally forgot that this game even existed.

Does it still have a box price, subscription and in game cash shop?

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676
    Not played this for a while - has anything been done about the combat mechanics, which where clunky to say the least?
  • roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Looks good but I wont ever buy this game untill they bring down the EU subscription price . From what I saw of it in beta its just about worth a standard sub but certainly no more .
  • leovinousleovinous Member Posts: 38

Yaevindusk writes:

Totally forgot that this game even existed.

Does it still have a box price, subscription and in game cash shop?

Yes it does, and so does Wow, now move along

Have you not read the Bible?
    Oh, yeah, yeah... Not all of it. Actually, I'm listening to it on tape.
    Don't tell me how it ends.

• nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    Can't wait for TOKYO!!!!
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by Deeter
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]This topic has already been covered.

You stay sassy!

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by spawn12345
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I think making a raid was a bad move on their part.  It's expensive content to create and really lazy design to try and encourage group play.

This game has so much potential for doing non-standard things.  Why a raid?  I've read this is an experiment and it will be interesting to watch how the content fares.  In my opinion, it's a mistake.

Funcom devs think the same

Thats why they arent concentrating on raids as much as other mmo's. It will be like 1 raid per year, if even that

But they will be awesome and unique

Devs have also stated progression will be mostly horizontal going forward.  Vertical progression treadmill is something TSW is working to avoid, and they are looking for alternatives  to the inifnite grind. 

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Game gives you content for your sub. Nothing wrong with that. If it was a B2P game it'd be like GW2 - 4 months after launch and TSW has introduced way more content at a faster pace even after selling 1/10th it did.

Edit: The above isn't hating on GW2, just using it as an example as it's obviously the most recent and popular B2P game.

• ZikariZikari Member Posts: 78
    Joel said on the official forums, monthly updates does not mean each one on the date 20 days after the last, if they deliver 6 content updates in total in the first 6 month they are on track. Looking forward to the Raid and even more to any new investigation they pack in. The Content Issues 1-3 have been worth it so far and the new content was reasoable fast and of good quality (except some buggy nightmare dungeons)...
  • ThorgrimmThorgrimm Age of Conan CorrespondentMember Posts: 274

This game is awesome.  [mod edit]  The Haters likely never played the game or quit during Beta.  It has been rock solid since launch on a well-built machines.  The Dreamworld engine was never intended for Wal-Mart specials. 

I played throughout Beta, and it is obvious that several of the Metacritic reviewers either had a hate-on for Funcom, only played in early-Beta, or never played at all.  The dialog of their reviews is self-explanatory.  One of the reviewers did not even have the release date right, and quite a few admitted their reviews were of Beta content.  I will never trust G4 again after their biased Beta review.  They will not even go back for a re-review on released content to update or correct it.  Player reviews are much higher than the biased Metacritic scores.  How much is the going rate for slamming a competitors product to boost your own Metacritic ratings nowadays?

• Ren128Ren128 Member UncommonPosts: 73

Well, I'm glad the raid can be done by a group without everyone being decked out in 10.3 epics. Having said that, you probably find it hard to find a pug without being 10.3 given the prevalent elitism in TSW.

Another thing which I like is the 32 hour cooldown on the raid, rather than a weekly lockout.