Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley: "EverQuest Next will be the world's largest sandbox-style MMO ever made"

Comments

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by pvpirl

Dave “SmokeJumper” Georgeson has said this could "change everything"..

Too bad I can't chose both 'No' answers.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

I think it is just Marketing "Blabla" and nothing more.

We'll see when Beta comes. Until then....i dont trust Smed as far as i can fart.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

I would bet that PVP and PVE will be down to what server you choose. Anyone thinking that PVP is going to be integrated into each server is dreaming. No matter what EQ is a PVE MMO and will feature very strongly in EQNext even though they will have a robust PvP system.

If the sandbox PVP FFA full looting players are looking at EQNext to be their sandbox PVP savoir they are going to be disappointed.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I've not met a game yet that featured both endgame raid progression an a "robust pvp system" they seem mutually exclusive so I won't be looking forwards to EQN, I'm pretty sure it will gave awful pvp just like its predecessors, wow, rift etc..
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I've not met a game yet that featured both endgame raid progression an a "robust pvp system" they seem mutually exclusive so I won't be looking forwards to EQN, I'm pretty sure it will gave awful pvp just like its predecessors, wow, rift etc..

I would be looking at ArcheAge if PVP is your thing.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

The fact that some people still believe Everquest 1 was a sandbox, even though it's the father of all theme park MMORPGs, makes me take such announcements with a HUGE grain of salt. Even more when it comes from SoE.

We'll know soon enough I guess.

You guys DO realize that EQ today and for the past few years is completely different than the original EQ, right?

Originally, EQ was far closer to a sandbox by definition than any sort of themepark you may be trying to shoehorn it into.

No, it wasn't a full on Sandbox by definition as we know them today, but it certainly wasn't a themepark.

Sure, go play it now.  It's covered in themepark bling.  But it doesn't even resemble its former self.  Which is why returning isn't an option.  And it's also why we can't have nice things.

(IMO, I believe, etc.)

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Acidon

The fact that some people still believe Everquest 1 was a sandbox, even though it's the father of all theme park MMORPGs, makes me take such announcements with a HUGE grain of salt. Even more when it comes from SoE.

You guys DO realize that EQ today and for the past few years is completely different than the original EQ, right?

Originally, EQ was far closer to a sandbox by definition than any sort of themepark you may be trying to shoehorn it into.

No, it wasn't a full on Sandbox by definition as we know them today, but it certainly wasn't a themepark.

Sure, go play it now.  It's covered in themepark bling.  But it doesn't even resemble its former self.  Which is why returning isn't an option.  And it's also why we can't have nice things.

(IMO, I believe, etc.)

You could also loot 1 item and the money from players you killed or somthing like that when it came out.

(IMO, I believe, etc.)

I don't think he had much experiance with EQ so he lacks the knowledge, he still thinks AC was the most popular MMO of that day when in fact it was EQ that lead the way untill WOW.

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

(IMO, I believe, etc.)

I don't think he had much experiance with EQ so he lacks the knowledge, he still thinks AC was the most popular MMO of that day when in fact it was EQ that lead the way untill WOW.

Everquest was never a sandbox game.  And yes, I played it back before any expansions were released. 

You couldn't build anything.  You couldn't change anything.  The world was a static stage and all you could do was kill stuff (temporarily).  There was crafting but it was nearly worthless for the most part.  Some of the crafted stuff was good at low levels on a young server (where mudflations hadn't set in yet).  There were also a few jewel crafted things which weren't too bad at high levels for a while in the early days.  But that's about it.

You killed stuff for experience and loot.  You gained levels and upgraded your equipment...and that was it.  That's all there was to the game.  It was not a sandbox in any way.  Not by any stretch of the imagination.

HOWEVER......, it was different from later themepark games in that it was not "on rails" as we say.  In EQ you were not guided by quests the whole way through.  You were not told what to do and where to go.  You were dropped in the themepark and left to wander around and find things for yourself and decide for yourself what you wanted to do.  In that respect it was far better (in my opinion) than the later themepark games. 

So, you could say it was an open, free roaming themepark game but it was still definately a themepark game.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Originally posted by Neanderthal

(IMO, I believe, etc.)

Everquest was never a sandbox game.  And yes, I played it back before any expansions were released. 

You couldn't build anything.  You couldn't change anything.  The world was a static stage and all you could do was kill stuff (temporarily).  There was crafting but it was nearly worthless for the most part.  Some of the crafted stuff was good at low levels on a young server (where mudflations hadn't set in yet).  There were also a few jewel crafted things which weren't too bad at high levels for a while in the early days.  But that's about it.

You killed stuff for experience and loot.  You gained levels and upgraded your equipment...and that was it.  That's all there was to the game.  It was not a sandbox in any way.  Not by any stretch of the imagination.

HOWEVER......, it was different from later themepark games in that it was not "on rails" as we say.  In EQ you were not guided by quests the whole way through.  You were not told what to do and where to go.  You were dropped in the themepark and left to wander around and find things for yourself and decide for yourself what you wanted to do.  In that respect it was far better (in my opinion) than the later themepark games. 

So, you could say it was an open, free roaming themepark game but it was still definately a themepark game.

100% accurate.

Once upon a time....

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

(IMO, I believe, etc.)

EQ, UO, AC... they were early-days MMOs. None of the "conveniences" were in because no one had invented them yet. There's all this revisionist nostalgia about what were essentially very rudimentary MMOs by today's standards at a time when "themepark" and "sandbox" hadn't even been coined yet as descriptors for MMOs.

They were fun because the genre was new and the choices were very limited. We built communities and were more sociable there because we played with other hard-core MMOers: the general public hadn't arrived yet. Hell, google and youtube didn't exists either. If you wanted to know the tricks to making it through a dungeon, you asked someone via chat (no teamspeak or even IM either.) And we stayed there for years mostly because there was nowhere else to go. New MMOs trickled in at the rate of 1 new one every few years.

I don't see the point of arguing about whether EQ was a sandbox or a themepark: it was simply one of the first. The only reason it wasn't "on rails" is because they didn't exist. If they'd thought of it, EQ also would have nudged us along with quests to send us to level-appropriate areas, i.e. "rails."

This whole "Sandbox" thing is just the pie-in-the-sky holy grail of MMOs that is often used as a marketting ploy for budget MMOs. A true sandbox would need to be so immersive and well done that it would have to feel like a living, breathing world we could conduct alternate lives in... Any fan of Tad William's Otherland series would know what I'm talking about. That type of MMO is just science fiction at the moment and I don't see ANY "alternate worlds" coming any time soon.

Sandbox is just a word used to hype questless/classless ffa PVP MMOs...or to start arguments here :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Originally posted by Iselin

(IMO, I believe, etc.)

EQ, UO, AC... they were early-days MMOs. None of the "conveniences" were in because no one had invented them yet. There's all this revisionist nostalgia about what were essentially very rudimentary MMOs by today's standards at a time when "themepark" and "sandbox" hadn't even been coined yet as descriptors for MMOs.

They were fun because the genre was new and the choices were very limited. We built communities and were more sociable there because we played with other hard-core MMOers: the general public hadn't arrived yet. Hell, google and youtube didn't exists either. If you wanted to know the tricks to making it through a dungeon, you asked someone via chat (no teamspeak or even IM either.) And we stayed there for years mostly because there was nowhere else to go. New MMOs trickled in at the rate of 1 new one every few years.

I don't see the point of arguing about whether EQ was a sandbox or a themepark: it was simply one of the first. The only reason it wasn't "on rails" is because they didn't exist. If they'd thought of it, EQ also would have nudged us along with quests to send us to level-appropriate areas, i.e. "rails."

These whole "Sandbox" thing is just the pie-in-the-sky holy grail of MMOs that is often used just as a marketting ploy for budget MMOs. A true sandbox would need to be so immersive and well done that it would have to feel like a living, breathing world we could conduct alternate lives in... Any fan of Tad William's Otherland series would know what I'm talking about. That type of MMO is just science fiction at the moment and I don't see ANY "alternate worlds" coming any time soon.

Sandbox is just a word used to hype questless/classless ffa PVP MMOs...or to start arguments here :)

The fact that you don't understand what "Sandbox" means is why you don't get it and what it means to game play. I'm so tired of arguing this stuff. There's an entire world of social game play, with huge meaning inside of the game world and to each individual player, that's been lost because of Themepark design.

Once upon a time....

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Amaranthar
    Originally posted by Iselin

...or to start arguments here :)

The fact that you don't understand what "Sandbox" means is why you don't get it and what it means to game play. I'm so tired of arguing this stuff. There's an entire world of social game play, with huge meaning inside of the game world and to each individual player, that's been lost because of Themepark design.

Sorry, not interested.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

(IMO, I believe, etc.)

Who said EQ was a sandbox game, not me.

EQ was IMO a hybrid game it had some sandbox features and some features that would later be classed as themepark.

It was skilled based as well as your typical spell UI.

The learning weapons system was more sandbox  the more u used your weapon the better damage it did until you max it out.

Even down to the fizzle when you started using certain spells was not like a themepark system.

As for quest yes you were not guilded to what little quest their were at the time.

I also can't name one other MMO that let you drop items, name a themepark that let's you drop items on the ground and they stay their until someone picked them up.

So IMO it was not a themepark it was a hybrid just like Vanguard is a hybrid and the soon to be ArcheAge.

As a matter of fact the word themepart to discribe MMOs wasn't even used or connected to MMOs.

I don't need a lesson on EQ thank you very much.

EQ= Hybrid

WOW= Themepark

GW2= Ultra themepark.

(IMO, I believe, etc.)

100% accurate.

Nope 50% accurate and that's being kind

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

(IMO, I believe, etc.)

100% accurate.

Nope 50% accurate and that's being kind

Specifically which of the things I posted are inaccurate?  If it's only 50% accurate then 50% of it must be inaccurate.  So---being very specific, point out which things are incorrect in my post.

• pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

Whether or not EQ1 was a sandbox, which is a matter of opinion, EQNext WILL be a "sandbox-style" game, what that exactly means, however, is pure speculation..

Having said that, going off of what we "know" so far, I'll stick my neck out and suggest EQN may be more "sandy" than ArcheAge, despite knowing orders of magnitude less of what EQN will offer.

But now that I think about it, what level of importance will player-crafted weapons and armor have in a game that I presume will still place a high level of value on "named" or dropped items, I come to this conclusion based off of item implementation of SOE Player Studio.. thoughts?

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Looked up whol was leading EQNext, it's Dave Georgeson and Terry michaels, I know both, Dave is the guy working for EQ2 now, and Terry michaels worked for EQ1.

Now for some drama.....

there was a hack once where some people managed to take down the zones in Everquest, they were able to crash any zone in the world, it often brought the whole server down. Might not seem like a big deal but because each time after the zone comes back online "mob placeholders" have a chance to respawn as a named, as anyone who played EQ knows. So people used this non-stop.

Now, one day, someone noticed a ranger in the game that had raid gear, but there was no way he could have gotten it legitimately, there were no guilds on that server that progressed to those raids yet. When people asked he wouldn't respond how he got it, but eventually he said "a developer gave me all the stuff because I gave them hack code".

So that became a huge ridiculous thread on the EQ forums, and people asked at Fan Faire from SoE to developers what was going on, apparently some developers thought giving this hacker free gear in return for his hacking code so they could fix it was a good idea, and according to people at fan faire, that guy was Terry Michaels who made that call.

That hacker was afterwards banned I believe, but that was a serious mistake on the developer's part, you never negociate with hackers.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    So when is mmorpg.com setting up an EQN page and forum?
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Yizle
    So when is mmorpg.com setting up an EQN page and forum?

When this hits 100 pages lol, I don't know.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Yeah just odd we have to search other forums for EQN info still
  • NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Looked up whol was leading EQNext, it's Dave Georgeson and Terry michaels, I know both, Dave is the guy working for EQ2 now, and Terry michaels worked for EQ1.

Now for some drama.....

there was a hack once where some people managed to take down the zones in Everquest, they were able to crash any zone in the world, it often brought the whole server down. Might not seem like a big deal but because each time after the zone comes back online "mob placeholders" have a chance to respawn as a named, as anyone who played EQ knows. So people used this non-stop.

Now, one day, someone noticed a ranger in the game that had raid gear, but there was no way he could have gotten it legitimately, there were no guilds on that server that progressed to those raids yet. When people asked he wouldn't respond how he got it, but eventually he said "a developer gave me all the stuff because I gave them hack code".

So that became a huge ridiculous thread on the EQ forums, and people asked at Fan Faire from SoE to developers what was going on, apparently some developers thought giving this hacker free gear in return for his hacking code so they could fix it was a good idea, and according to people at fan faire, that guy was Terry Michaels who made that call.

That hacker was afterwards banned I believe, but that was a serious mistake on the developer's part, you never negociate with hackers.

EQ is far away from being the only game where this has happened. Handing in an dub bug post-release usually leads to somekind of ingame reward, and a signing of someform of NDA.

• pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

Originally posted by Yizle So when is mmorpg.com setting up an EQN page and forum?

This. Until they cave to our demands under the sheer volume of this thread lol.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by pvpirl

Originally posted by Yizle So when is mmorpg.com setting up an EQN page and forum?

This. Until they cave to our demands under the sheer volume of this thread lol.

tbh while there is nothing concrete about the game, they shouldnt, doesnt have as much as a screenshot or any sort of cover picture

• mjr727mjr727 Member UncommonPosts: 22

The meaning of Sandbox doesn't really matter here.  The reason EQ1 worked like it did is because of the social draw.  You kept coming back because of the community you built.  You are not going to build rich communities in new games that can be soloed to max level.  How many hours did you spend sitting with a group and chatting while you waited to get an FBSS drop.  Was it because the content was just utterly amazing?  No.

Start with a very addicting community aspect,  great guild systems and big perks for grouping.  Actually, make soloing very difficult.  The rest of your beautiful grand design should be built off of that.

This discussion has been closed.