Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arena PvP: is it better with 2 faction/team or 3?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Well MOBA have slowly joined into the MMO genre. Many MMO are starting to have fanbases requesting these arena battles.

Well I know the general public here on this forum tend to believe that 3 faction PvP is better than 2 faction PvP in terms of large scale open world PvP.

but what about in regards to Arena small scale PvP?

is 2 teams better in this case or three team?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

Not sure where you get the idea that MOBA have slowly joined the MMO genre because I haven't seen it anywhere. Same for MMO that are starting to have fanbases that request this kind of gameplay. MOBA genre and Arena PvP (in MMO) are two completely different things. If you like MOBA then play MOBA games, if you don't, then play an MMO. I doubt we will ever see a mix of both because it will be completely stupid IMO, for a lot of reasons that I don't wanna list here.

Anyway, as far as Arena PvP (in MMO) goes, 2 teams is the way to go. 3 teams/realms/factions is only good in owPvP because of the possible populations imbalances. As for MOBA, 3 teams would be very akward and I don't think it will fit with the gameplay of MOBA games.

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

I still believe that small scale instanced PvP is a tumor to MMORPG genre, and it will slowly dump the features down even further.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Obviously 2 team...

A 2-faction system is inherently unstable while a 3-faction one is inherently stable. That's pure game theory mathematics. Imo tactical battles, those which are supposed to eventually have a clear final winner (aka arenas, instanced matches) should ideally be 2-sided, while conflicts that are supposed to last indefinitely (open-world wars) should be 3 or more sided (tho 3 sides is ideal, again for mathematical reasons).

Its amazing how Mythic, for example, managed to get this completely wrong... Permanent war in Warhammer with only 2 factions which led to constant runaway imbalance... and then their moba style f2p game (what it's called) with 3 factions which led to total mess where you can't get a clear sense of victory or tactics or anything... Sheesh, who gave those people money to make games?

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

no pre-determined number of pre-determined factions.

player made factions only

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

neither

would like a mmo without any of this pvp in a tupperware box shite.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Don't really like those in an mmorpg.  

Think it is better for arena type entertaiment have dedicated games for this.   Looking at insane succes of LoL and WoT, industry investing heavily in that kind of titles and many ex-WoW players flocking there it seems that many consumers agree with me.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

With 3 teams, the best team hardly ever wins because the other two will gank it before engaging in normal 1 vs 1.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283
    2 for arenas, 3 for open world.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by ThaneUlfgar
    2 for arenas, 3 for open world.

0 for arenas

3, 4, 5 or infinite for open world

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Arena pvp is better in a gaming genre suited more to arena pvp....

That said, two team is clearly more e-sport, three team would be more for pugs/casual matches.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."