Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR: Official State of the Game 6 NOV 2012

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

If the game is awesome, then it wouldn't need a F2P conversion. If it needs a F2P conversion (it does), then it should get a real F2P option not this freemium crap where you have to pay extra for the normal number of quickbars or to hide your head slot or to play a reasonable number of warzones. They're trying to have it both ways, and it isn't going to work.

I enjoyed the game for the first 3 months and will see if there is any fun to be had in the F2P version, but the assholish way they are doing it certainly doesn't make me want to give them more money.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

1. Our game is awesome. People love it and want to play it.

2. The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

When I log in there are still plenty of people still playing and enjoying the game. Is the game perfect? Not by any stretch, but neither are any games out there right now.

No matter what you think of SWTOR or any game on this site, I find it rather funny and naive that many of the forum users expect any game's leadership to come out publicly and blast thier own game. They arent any better than politicians.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by RavingRabbid

When I log in there are still plenty of people still playing and enjoying the game. Is the game perfect? Not by any stretch, but neither are any games out there right now.

No matter what you think of SWTOR or any game on this site, I find it rather funny and naive that many of the forum users expect any game's leadership to come out publicly and blast thier own game. They arent any better than politicians.

I have to agree here. SWTOR is severe flaws, but it isn't worse than a lot other stuff, like GW2, which actually kept me considerably less time. And yes, it is absurd to expect they bash their own game. Still, some insight like "we are going to make this and that better" instead of just "we make more of the same" would have been welcome.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

I am sure that when SWTOR is launched as F2P, there will be many players that will try it now that the purchase barrier has been removed. While there may be many that subscribe to escape the ridiculous F2P restrictions, players will continue to move on like most of the other players that have already done so. F2P will not fix what ails this game.

I enjoyed SWTOR for the few months I played it, then I found there was precious little to do that I enjoyed after leveling. I did not quit due to a subscription fee, I quit because there was no real game play left for me to enjoy worthy of a sub fee.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

I can't think of one AAA mmo that has been released over the last 5 or so years that I have stopped playing, but did NOT go back to or even think of giving another try..........except SWTOR.  This was EASILY the biggest mmo letdown for me of all time - miles ahead of Vanguard.  There is a 0% chance I could ever go back to that steaming pile of generic lifeless doo again for the rest of my life.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

I don't believe SW:TOR's new F2P model will retain former subscribers.  It's one of those models which functions very well as an extended free trial, but it's too restrictive to enjoy the game at the level cap.  The F2P model should help make lower levels areas appear more active and EA should make some money out of the cash shop.  Beyond that, it's a wash.

Content updates have been too slow.  After the conversion to F2P, I do hope they can maintain their supposed update schedule, but they need to add more than new flashpoints and operations.  They need to add additional quest hubs, space missions, and features in addition to endgame content.

As for the number of people leaving, it's hard to believe there would be so many people leaving BioWare if the game met expectations; however, I don't believe that the game is as bad off as people say.  First of all, it's still one of the most popular MMORPGs on the market, and people are no longer leaving the game in droves.  The problem was that people had wild expectations for SW:TOR that BioWare failed to meet.  As a result, there are a lot of spurned MMO fans out there, and the tide of public opinion has turned against EA and BioWare.  It's now "cool" to hate on SW:TOR, and most of the people hating on the game don't even have legitimate arguments to raise against it.

Yep, that was definitely the problem, our expectations were just too high.  :P

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Well what about telling the truth.

Like for example,we have tried to do everything to fix ability delays,but it is not possible to fix it ,because of engine or whatever....

instead of lies that its fixed.

And now because its not possible to fix it we will do some changes to gameplay,some instant actions will be channeled now,animations removed or whatever...

But telling lies and denying that there is problems just gives the picture that they think that Star Wars fans are idiots and you can say whatever you like to them and they will buy it.

But what is going to happen is that people starts to think that Star Wars is full of shit,hear me Disney.

Let's internet

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

Where is this hidden population of people who have never played SWTOR and will come out of the wood work for F2P?  The initial release had TV ads and a full marketing push from EA to get people buying.  Of those 2.4 million who had the initial financial investment in the game, only 25% stuck around by the 1 year mark. 

Now people who will have nothing invested in the game but the download time will be so enamered that they will suddenly subscribe?  It's the same exact game it was a year ago!  The former sub is not the target here because the F2P will just give you a nuetered experience that you weren't gonna pay for anyways.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

Like for example,we have tried to do everything to fix ability delays,but it is not possible to fix it ,because of engine or whatever....

And now because its not possible to fix it we will do some changes to gameplay,some instant actions will be channeled now,animations removed or whatever...

But telling lies and denying that there is problems just gives the picture that they think that Star Wars fans are idiots and you can say whatever you like to them and they will buy it.

But what is going to happen is that people starts to think that Star Wars is full of shit,hear me Disney.

While I agree with you in principle that everyone should tell the truth. Truth is very subjective to variying ppl especially in the gaming industry. I believe the game is doing good when I log in, you believe the opposite. Any game leadership's job to is to put as much positive outlook as best as possible. What you suggest is industry suicide and no one in thier right mind would do that. Do you not think that they dont know behind the scenes whats going on? Im not just talking about SWTOR but any game. i dont need some PR person to confirm for me what I already know in any game.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408

Hickman says a lot in that posting but there are no real fresh insights to be found.  Beyond the soft committment to rolling out new content every six weeks, it's hard to tell what SWTOR's future direction will be.  Are they going to continue building on the game's unusual (for the genre) strength's-- the storylines?  Or are they going down the path of more traditional MMO development with a focus on endgame group activities?  Will the players who sub get future updates for free or will they be sold through the cash shop a la DCUO's packs?

The primary failing of the game-- and why I left for Rift-- is that beyond the stories, beyond the FPs and Warzones, there is nothing new, dynamic or interesting for me to do.  Crafting could scarcely have been made less interactive or more dry.  With the potential brain drain that's happened at their studios, what are the chances we'll see new systems like a ranked Swoop racing circuit?  Pazaak tournaments on Nar Shadaa?  Customizable ship interiors or exteriors?  Heck, even collecting random holocrons with tidbits of lore from the period between the last KOTOR game and this one would be a welcome diversion from the kill, kill, press 1 for good, boss battle, romance your companion, kill a few more flow of this game.  I do have the urge to play my characters again because I enjoyed their stories, the companions, and group play but the producer's post doesn't reassure me that they have made or plan to make any substantive changes to broaden TOR's gameplay.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

And people thought Ericksen was bad...

Where's Greyhoff with he's Iraqi Defense Minister Meme? With Hickman in charge it's the same old Mythic, 'actually everyone loves the game as it is, were going under that assumption that subs are bad, anything that doesn't fit that idea is wrong', bollocks we had with WAR.

It's the same arguement that comes up with the recent SOE F2P launches again: If not enough people are subbing to your game because they don't enjoy it, why do you think they'll start paying for bits and bobs of an unenjoyable game?

Logical fallacies allround.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

While I agree with you in principle that everyone should tell the truth. Truth is very subjective to variying ppl especially in the gaming industry. I believe the game is doing good when I log in, you believe the opposite. Any game leadership's job to is to put as much positive outlook as best as possible. What you suggest is industry suicide and no one in thier right mind would do that. Do you not think that they dont know behind the scenes whats going on? Im not just talking about SWTOR but any game. i dont need some PR person to confirm for me what I already know in any game.

Well,how i read this:

1. Our game is awesome. People love it and want to play it,they love ability delays,they love small worlds(not worlds,rooms),they dont want to roleplay,they dont want to sit on chairs they dont  want to swim they dont want space combat they dont want day/night cycles they dont they love they.......

Gee i cant continue,but what that guy is trying,makes more damage than good.

While someone there at EA is still denying their mistakes,till then those wont get fixed,ever.

Let's internet

• KertKert Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Originally posted by Lugors

Where is this hidden population of people who have never played SWTOR and will come out of the wood work for F2P?  The initial release had TV ads and a full marketing push from EA to get people buying.  Of those 2.4 million who had the initial financial investment in the game, only 25% stuck around by the 1 year mark. 

Now people who will have nothing invested in the game but the download time will be so enamered that they will suddenly subscribe?  It's the same exact game it was a year ago!  The former sub is not the target here because the F2P will just give you a nuetered experience that you weren't gonna pay for anyways.

Indeed.

This erroneous belief that F2P will save the game, and allow them to make money in smaller amounts, off of people who don't want to pay for a subscription, is a smokescreen.

A smokescreen for the current subscribers that they're desperately trying to keep subscribed. "Look once the F2P conversion is finished, we'll be making lots of new content!". Undoubtedly they will. All sorts of new stuff for the cash shop. Stuff that even subscribers won't get for free. They just don't want people who are already on the edge of leaving, to lose hope in the future of this game.

What this game is now, is what this game is going to be, for the immediate future anyway. Will EA eventually put together an expansion for it? I'm sure they will. But has anyone seen any concrete reason to believe they're working on that now? They still won't pin down a date for F2P going live.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by Kert
    Originally posted by Lugors

Indeed.

This erroneous belief that F2P will save the game, and allow them to make money in smaller amounts, off of people who don't want to pay for a subscription, is a smokescreen.

A smokescreen for the current subscribers that they're desperately trying to keep subscribed. "Look once the F2P conversion is finished, we'll be making lots of new content!". Undoubtedly they will. All sorts of new stuff for the cash shop. Stuff that even subscribers won't get for free. They just don't want people who are already on the edge of leaving, to lose hope in the future of this game.

What this game is now, is what this game is going to be, for the immediate future anyway. Will EA eventually put together an expansion for it? I'm sure they will. But has anyone seen any concrete reason to believe they're working on that now? They still won't pin down a date for F2P going live.

you only need look at what ea did with warhammer to know how swtor is going to go.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

I don't know why people even say the stories are awesome. I got a Jedi Knight to level 40ish, and every other class to around 15-30 or so, and there was nothing overly exciting happening whatsoever in any of them. Sith Inquisitor had the most compelling start, but it just dragged on and got so boring. With all other game system being equally dull, I dont even know how they managed to keep it going this long. lol

I will admit, though: I really liked Huttball or whatever. That was fun for a while. I also really liked the first Flashpoint on either side, though afterwards they seemed to dip in quality.

Originally posted by Aviggin

I don't know why people even say the stories are awesome. I got a Jedi Knight to level 40ish, and every other class to around 15-30 or so, and there was nothing overly exciting happening whatsoever in any of them. Sith Inquisitor had the most compelling start, but it just dragged on and got so boring. With all other game system being equally dull, I dont even know how they managed to keep it going this long. lol

I will admit, though: I really liked Huttball or whatever. That was fun for a while. I also really liked the first Flashpoint on either side, though afterwards they seemed to dip in quality.

agreed they arent a patch on the kotor stories (or other sprpgs like the witcher series, mass effect series or first dragon age).  I played a trooper, my god that story was boring (although not as twee and dull as my GW2 stories)

Only story ive enjoyed in a mmo was in tsw.  But then that had boring same old dungeon grind endgame so i stoped playing.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    You guys do realize that F2P is a revenue generator...meaning if your going to waste the time to play the game it will be constructed in such a way that you find yourself paying more than a sub, some may argue that gives choice, how come I can have everything if I paid full retail and lets say pay $15 a month, as opposed to playing a restricitve game that in the end youll pay more for anyways...
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

Glad to hear I wasn't the only one regarding the Flashpoint qualities. When I played the first FP, I was blown away by the quality, choices, and all the various trappings. But after that, the rest seemed just thrown together.

The class stories were overrated, in my opinion. The trooper story started out pretty good, but lost steam. The ending was just pitiful. By that time, even actively avoiding spoilers in other classes, I pretty much knew every companion and plot twist just by being in a small guild. I had no interest in playing any other class.

The voiceovers - one of the main selling points of the game - were sometimes just awful to the point of immersion-breaking. The NPCs were very bland.

Don't get me entirely wrong, it was OK for what it was supposed to be. But it's just not for me, as hard as I tried for it to be my MMO home.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by Elikal
    tl;dr... did he say anything WHEN the f2p conversion happens??

Nope, just the plain old "this Fall".

Only a wild guess, but since technically fall is cca. 6 weeks more, and he said "getting Game Updates out to you every 6 weeks or so", I think they will goofing with the conversion until the next letter on dec.21 :) (and maybe secretly hoping that the mayan was right, so they don't have to put much effort in it :D )

I recieved an email yesterday stating I have some sort of Cartel points stored since I played the game at launch, but I need to be a paying subscriber to use them before it goes free-to-play in November.

" 

You have earned Complimentary Cartel Coins for your prior paid subscription months! Cartel Coins are a new virtual currency coming with the launch of the Free-to-Play option this November.

Visit the Cartel Coins Ledger page to see how many Complimentary Cartel Coins you have already earned! This new web page is located in the "My Account" section of the website.

Get ready to visit the Cartel Market loaded with coins to spend this November - and turn these golden coins into valuable items such as pets, vehicles, XP boosts, and more! Remember, you must return as a Subscriber to take advantage of this golden opportunity!

"

Take that as you will. Not gonna log in.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

If he said our stories are awesome then I would be inclinded to agree. They weren't all good but many of them were. They made the missions and some of the gameplay better because of it. WoW, EQ2, Rift, Vanguard, WAR, Aion, etc all had much more dull questing because they didn't have the story and conversations that SWTOR had. Of course that was only really enjoyable for so long. If not playing casually you got very tired of the missions and saw conversations as just an excuses to give you a menial task. Flashpoints were great, Operations were great, space missions were.. ok... the first few times but they got old pretty fast. And so will the content that will take them 4-6 months to make.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Before reading anything, I find it comical that Bioware has decided to release their "State of the Game" on election day.

Way to bury your release when people might be actually be paying attention to something slightly more important then the state of SWTOR.

OG
    all they need to do is get Paul barnet involved and the circle is complete.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    OG
    all they need to do is get Paul barnet involved and the circle is complete.

Bwuahaha... I laughed so hard I almost suffocated... Oh god yes, that would be the final, ironic move they "need" to do.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78

They're still trying to save face by claiming SWTOR was a failure due to having a subscription fee? Honestly, who do they think they're fooling? It's insulting. The fact that people chose, "I don't want to pay an ongoing subscription fee," when they canceled their subscription, doesn't mean they aren't willing or are unable to pay a subscription fee. But hey, keep lying to your userbase!