Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR: Official State of the Game 6 NOV 2012

Comments

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Well, according to BioWare, DA2 is awesome. I guess TOR looks pretty good in comparison.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

God! This guy makes Tasos from Darkfall look good! LMAO!

The subscription model was the cause of failure? Sure sure.... people leave because your game was crap! Not because of the subscription model.  Making it F2P won't bring me back! Especially not with the most idiotic restrictions I have ever seen.

Hundreds of QA staff?  Yeah right! Can he lie a bit more please? They don't even have that many people working in the entire studio! LOL!  /facepalm

Seriously! Does he really think we buy those stupid lies?

If he wants to earn back respect from the playerbase.... why not start speaking truth and be more realistic! /shrug

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by achesoma
    Am I having deja vu?  Didn't SWG start a weekly "State of the Game" after the NGE?

wished they relaunched SWG, with the sandbox it started with....also the dungeons till it closed, warzones too.....and with swtor graphics....add a dungeon creator/storytellers like in other mmos.....think they might have a winner there.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

lol, good lord.  I play the game with a friend and I'm having a great time, but wtf?

This guy can't be THAT out of touch.  At this point in a game, the only people that stay are those that love it (for star wars, bioware, ea, story, whatever reason).  99% of other people could care less.  Yet the game is "awesome"...lol wow..........

It's one thing to be optimistic about a game.  It's another to just cover your eyes ears and scream "AWESOME GAME"..

Now, people did leave because endgame was atrocious.  No rep to grind, no small things to do (outside of datacrons), no real pets to collect.  Raids were pushoevers.  You never felt like you NEEDED to be geared for dps races.  It just was way too easy or too bugged at the start.  Six weeks between patches would be good.  But they would need to push out more raid content, pvp content and balance.

Also..why did the OP delete his account?

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

I really don't understand *any* industry these days: people "in charge" are the same names that over the years failed more or less hardcore over and over and over (and I see exactly the same happening in the IT multinational I work for, and in all the multinationals that are our clients - ranging from finance, chemical, farmaceutical, aerospace etc)

No sign of redemption whatsoever, no "lesson learnt", no "a mistake is an opportunity to improve", no innovation, nothing. Nevertheless, even more clueless board directors or whatever keep giving them chances to make further damage.

This guy: "I designed expansions for daoc" -> translation: I am responsible for mass murdering daoc population with that abomination that was ToA and game never recovered for it.

"I created, launched, and operated warhammer". There's no need to translate anything there. Dude, you are a knight of apocalypse, the only person in the gaming industry more dangerous than you is your pal mark jakobs (he's probably spending his "golden handshake package" in Blackwater' bodyguards to protect himself from the rage of daoc/warhammer fans).

That being said: I dismissed swtor before launch cause I played the last phase of OB and it was so horrible in every possible way (for my standards) that I couldn't believe people paid 150$ (or whatever the overpriced cost of the CE was) for that steaming pile. Now after some changes and "unlimited trial" I gave it another go and I actually enjoy it: as a single player RPG about start wars with some occasional co-op option. Certainly not as an mmo worth playing, worth subbing or worth cash-shopping.

I don't know, maybe I should get married and have kids - leaving me absolutely no time to play online games. The way the industry is going, it's more and more difficult to keep my beloved hobby alive.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by Deleted User

Here it is:

1. Our game is awesome. People love it and want to play it.

2. The subscription requirement was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying monthly.

3. The frequency of our Game Updates was way too slow. People were leaving because we were not releasing new content fast enough to keep up with the pace at which it was being consumed.

Jeff Hickman
    Executive Producer

Worst band ____________ in the universe.

1.Our music is awesome.People love it and want to listen it.

2.Prize tag on records was driving away huge numbers of people who do not want to commit to paying for our records.

3.The freguency of our album releases was way too slow.People leaving because we were not releasing new songs fast enough to keep up with the pace at which it was being consumed.

Rocket "Aaaargeeee" Rockstar

Lead Singer of worst band in the universe.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Seriously hickman ,telling the truth would actually help this time.

Let's internet

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by samvenice

That being said: I dismissed swtor before launch cause I played the last phase of OB and it was so horrible in every possible way (for my standards) that I couldn't believe people paid 150$ (or whatever the overpriced cost of the CE was) for that steaming pile.

Give them some slack, some paid 150, for all the extras and the "star Wars" labeled on it, not for the "game". :)

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

I stopped reading at the picture of the retarded tatoo. "Ohh look at me and my cool tatoo!". What. The. Fuck. This guy is the Executive Producer? THAT explains a lot. Holy shit does it. If you can't make good life decisions without fucking that up permantly then I sure as hell can't see you making good decisions on anything business related. Jesus tits that is the most stupid thing I have ever seen a "professional" post online since Anthony Weiner and his... weiner went viral.

I still like the game though. Lost all respect for who runs it but they will still get my $15.

Fucking tatoo... what an idiot.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Sam

Slight correction

Saying jakobs is hickmans friend is like saying brutus is ceasers friend.

The guy promoted him from being a csr, ea got involved with mythic, he was good at all the shmoozing with the suits stuff and encouraged mark out the door. Poor mark jakobs ended up having bugger all to do with warhammer being pushed into designing minor systems like the crafting. I suggest you read the ealouse stuff for a fuller picture of what happened to mythic. Survice to say most of the "real mythic" people, the top programmers, the great original designers of daoc, the top at people are no longer at ea. The survivors are all business and marketing grads rather than lovers of games who could fit in well with the ea "culture"
  • SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by samvenice

I really don't understand *any* industry these days: people "in charge" are the same names that over the years failed more or less hardcore over and over and over (and I see exactly the same happening in the IT multinational I work for, and in all the multinationals that are our clients - ranging from finance, chemical, farmaceutical, aerospace etc)

No sign of redemption whatsoever, no "lesson learnt", no "a mistake is an opportunity to improve", no innovation, nothing. Nevertheless, even more clueless board directors or whatever keep giving them chances to make further damage.

This guy: "I designed expansions for daoc" -> translation: I am responsible for mass murdering daoc population with that abomination that was ToA and game never recovered for it.

"I created, launched, and operated warhammer". There's no need to translate anything there. Dude, you are a knight of apocalypse, the only person in the gaming industry more dangerous than you is your pal mark jakobs (he's probably spending his "golden handshake package" in Blackwater' bodyguards to protect himself from the rage of daoc/warhammer fans).

That being said: I dismissed swtor before launch cause I played the last phase of OB and it was so horrible in every possible way (for my standards) that I couldn't believe people paid 150$ (or whatever the overpriced cost of the CE was) for that steaming pile. Now after some changes and "unlimited trial" I gave it another go and I actually enjoy it: as a single player RPG about start wars with some occasional co-op option. Certainly not as an mmo worth playing, worth subbing or worth cash-shopping.

I don't know, maybe I should get married and have kids - leaving me absolutely no time to play online games. The way the industry is going, it's more and more difficult to keep my beloved hobby alive.

This is so true. I don't think there are many other industries where people can go from Fail to Fail to Fail and still be in a job.

If I rolled out a piece of software to the general public that completely bombed and was ridiculed I wouldn't expect to be getting another high paying job at the helm of another software launch.

The problem with the games industry like many other industries is that it's more about who you know than what you know for many people, the obvious exception that rule are the truly brilliant people, but then they don't work on constantly failing games.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by bartoni33

I stopped reading at the picture of the retarded tatoo. "Ohh look at me and my cool tatoo!". What. The. Fuck. This guy is the Executive Producer? THAT explains a lot. Holy shit does it. If you can't make good life decisions without fucking that up permantly then I sure as hell can't see you making good decisions on anything business related. Jesus tits that is the most stupid thing I have ever seen a "professional" post online since Anthony Weiner and his... weiner went viral.

I still like the game though. Lost all respect for who runs it but they will still get my $15.

Fucking tatoo... what an idiot.

I have many tattoos as well, some relating to things I love like this guy obviously loves star wars, however I agree with you I don't really think a state of the game update is the place to be showing off mediocre tattoos as credentials for being a star wars fan. He shouldn't even need to mention he has tattoos, half the population has a tattoo now it doesn't make you special.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Swanea

Before the delete OP made a post about negative comments and something about stars and forum ranks... honestly I didn't understood because I don't know how the forum status / ranks works.

But I guess it's hard to stay on the positive side when this Hickman dude saying such funny statements :)

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

There is nothing planned to come at all - All he goes on about is Loss of Staff, Fixing bugs and Oceanic Low Populations, no mention of any content coming whatsoever

STO has way more stuff in their "State of the Game", mentioning loads of content to come, and no moans and excuses of the games short comings

The way Cryptic has done their State of the game, shows a future to STO. The way EA have done their state of the game, shows no future to SWTOR

What is coming in 1.6? Due before christmas or mid January?

I guess there will be no Winter or Anniversary event then?

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    You send Jeff Hickman of all people to placate your customers? Jeff Hickman of Warhammer Online infamy? Good luck with that and I mean it.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Before the delete OP made a post about negative comments and something about stars and forum ranks... honestly I didn't understood because I don't know how the forum status / ranks works.

But I guess it's hard to stay on the positive side when this Hickman dude saying such funny statements :)

There are ALOT of people that will try SWTOR when it goes f2p, and there will be ALOT of people that go on to sub.

Contrary to what these boards tell you, not everyone is a jaded SWG vet. Imagine that eh? 

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by kalrhael

There are ALOT of people that will try SWTOR when it goes f2p, and there will be ALOT of people that go on to sub.

Contrary to what these boards tell you, not everyone is a jaded SWG vet. Imagine that eh? 

I agree with this post.

SWG was an MMO that not many tried / played actually.

It is something a lot of vocal minority talk about but 1st hand exp is not that common since SWG never had a large playerbase to begin with.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Thought it was against the TOS to copy-paste other people's content?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

DENY EVERYTHING.

Put fingers in your ears and sing...la la ala la ala.

Man, its pretty sure it will shut down next year lol, guess hes just showing EA how much he loves them :)

Originally posted by kalrhael

I'm not sure why you replied that to me, since I never said anything about SWG... (I'm not even a SWG vet)

But I disagree with the first part. Those ALOT of people you mention could try the game right now, there's an unlimited trial to lvl15. I admit I don't have actual numbers, but when the last time (cca a month ago) I checked, the starter area was empty... So why do you (or EA) thinks a much more restricted version will luring in any players? And then ALOT of them will subscribe? They could do that right now if they want. But the exodus of subscribers shows pretty much the opposite.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the story in TOR, and as I said many times I will go back to finish the rest of the classes. But I'm with the minority in this matter (maybe with Frodo :) ). Most of the players wouldn't touch TOR again even if EA pay them for it.

/snip

Don't get me wrong, I loved the story in TOR, and as I said many times I will go back to finish the rest of the classes. But I'm with the minority in this matter (maybe with Frodo :) ). Most of the players wouldn't touch TOR again even if EA pay them for it.

Red highlighted text is exactly what a lot of people are thinking; at least those that I know of.

Gdemami -

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    tl;dr... did he say anything WHEN the f2p conversion happens??

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by Elikal
    tl;dr... did he say anything WHEN the f2p conversion happens??

Nope, just the plain old "this Fall".

Only a wild guess, but since technically fall is cca. 6 weeks more, and he said "getting Game Updates out to you every 6 weeks or so", I think they will goofing with the conversion until the next letter on dec.21 :) (and maybe secretly hoping that the mayan was right, so they don't have to put much effort in it :D )

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354
    I don't trust the judgement of anyone with tattoos that bad. I'm sorry but there is no excuse with so many great ink artists out there.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Worste money i ever spended in my life, will not even look at it in free to fail state.
    Where is that iraqe guy when you need him ?

I demand that guy in this thread and say it with a straight face !!!