Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV ARR, another WoW clone

Comments

• Hamger8Hamger8 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by Magiknight

According to an interview with Naoki Yoshida, the director and producer of FFXIV ARR, the new game will be a WoW clone.  When the original FFXIV was being released a couple years ago the director of that game said that they were using WoW as their model of success.  This is amazing.

BM: Final Fantasy XI just had its ten year anniversary and it got a new expansion coming up. You talked about educating the development team at what the standard is at a west MMOs, so with an eye of Final Fantasy XI that is hugely successful, what did they get right what Final Fantasy XIV wasn’t doing?

Yoshida: One of the reasons why Final Fantasy XI was so successful was that the whole development team went and played Everquest and they thought “Okay, we want to do exactly what they did with Final Fantasy XI!” You know there were times where you couldn’t contact any of them because of how much they played *laughs*, but because they did that they had a direction. One of the problems with Final Fantasy XIV was that there wasn’t that direction, they didn’t know what the standard was and they never played World of Warcraft, they didn’t know enough and because they didn’t know enough they couldn’t build something up to the standards of current MMOs. Plus when they started creating Final Fantasy XI there was Final Fantasy X that strongly influenced them.

With Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn we don’t want to create many new things, we first want to start of getting this global standard and then adding that Final Fantasy feel. We want to get the crystal tower in and the gold soucer to get that epic Final Fantasy feeling.

http://jpgames.de/2012/08/gamescom-2012-our-interview-with-naoki-yoshida/

Fuck this.....

Wow obviously your not keeping track of final fantasy ARR like me i was in in 1.0 since a year ago and trust me you got your dam sources wrong likeseriously? Yoshi ISNT GONNA MAKE A CLONE WOW are you seriouse? if that was the case half of the community would've raged and quit the game. yosh is just taking some idea from wow not the whole dam game and just making it with final fantasy world are you slow? Dont understand why people cry and whine like wtf? if your gonna cry about it dont follow the game but if your gonna be guessing of what you think might happen is dumb. Look just seriously dont even make dam topic about false things you hear watch the dam video if you call that wow jump off a building couse your slow.

• alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Hamger8

According to an interview with Naoki Yoshida, the director and producer of FFXIV ARR, the new game will be a WoW clone.  When the original FFXIV was being released a couple years ago the director of that game said that they were using WoW as their model of success.  This is amazing.

BM: Final Fantasy XI just had its ten year anniversary and it got a new expansion coming up. You talked about educating the development team at what the standard is at a west MMOs, so with an eye of Final Fantasy XI that is hugely successful, what did they get right what Final Fantasy XIV wasn’t doing?

Yoshida: One of the reasons why Final Fantasy XI was so successful was that the whole development team went and played Everquest and they thought “Okay, we want to do exactly what they did with Final Fantasy XI!” You know there were times where you couldn’t contact any of them because of how much they played *laughs*, but because they did that they had a direction. One of the problems with Final Fantasy XIV was that there wasn’t that direction, they didn’t know what the standard was and they never played World of Warcraft, they didn’t know enough and because they didn’t know enough they couldn’t build something up to the standards of current MMOs. Plus when they started creating Final Fantasy XI there was Final Fantasy X that strongly influenced them.

With Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn we don’t want to create many new things, we first want to start of getting this global standard and then adding that Final Fantasy feel. We want to get the crystal tower in and the gold soucer to get that epic Final Fantasy feeling.

Fuck this.....

Wow obviously your not keeping track of final fantasy ARR like me i was in in 1.0 since a year ago and trust me you got your dam sources wrong likeseriously? Yoshi ISNT GONNA MAKE A CLONE WOW are you seriouse? if that was the case half of the community would've raged and quit the game. yosh is just taking some idea from wow not the whole dam game and just making it with final fantasy world are you slow? Dont understand why people cry and whine like wtf? if your gonna cry about it dont follow the game but if your gonna be guessing of what you think might happen is dumb. Look just seriously dont even make dam topic about false things you hear watch the dam video if you call that wow jump off a building couse your slow.

Grammar, please.

I've followed this game all along, through 1.0 to 2.0.  Every step of the way since Yoshi's appointment to turn FFXIV around, he has mentioned time and time again about "bringing FFXIV up to standard" and "making FF feel".  This translates to "World of Warcraft with a FF skin".  Wake up.

The proof is everywhere.  Look at the alpha leak videos.   ARR doesn't really even resemble our current game beyond the character models.  The tone is completely differet.  They changed the aesthetic of the game to be much less serious. 

Anyway, WoW is basically a quest-based progression system with raid endgame.  That's what FFXIV will be with fluff content tacked on the side (housing,chocobo raising), and with the armory system (ffxiv's only saving grace thanks to Tanaka).

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by alyosha17

Fuck this.....

Grammar, please.

I've followed this game all along, through 1.0 to 2.0.  Every step of the way since Yoshi's appointment to turn FFXIV around, he has mentioned time and time again about "bringing FFXIV up to standard" and "making FF feel".  This translates to "World of Warcraft with a FF skin".  Wake up.

The proof is everywhere.  Look at the alpha leak videos.   ARR doesn't really even resemble our current game beyond the character models.  The tone is completely differet.  They changed the aesthetic of the game to be much less serious. 

Anyway, WoW is basically a quest-based progression system with raid endgame.  That's what FFXIV will be with fluff content tacked on the side (housing,chocobo raising), and with the armory system (ffxiv's only saving grace thanks to Tanaka).

I've followed it from start to fininsh got legacy status as well.

Simple thing is if you don't like it don't play it, no one is going to force you to play it but something tells me you will.

No MMO out there is a WOW clone. Do you know the meaning of a clone because that would mean that we would have many MMO that have the same lore, races, classes and skills world as WOW.

Clone

a person or thing regarded as an exact copy of another:

a computer designed to simulate exactly the operation of another, typically more expensive, model:

make an identical copy of:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/clone

There are no WOW clones but some MMO use the same type of system which apllies to most MMOs. If you don't like it then it's time for you to stop playing MMOs altogether.

• Hamger8Hamger8 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by alyosha17

Fuck this.....

Grammar, please.

To be honest i don't care about grammer but let get to the chase here have you not seen the gameplay? because it isn't like wow i don't care if they take some ideas from WoW as long as it doesn't mess with the battle system. You guys making it sound like hes copying and pasting? obviously he just taking some ideas and putting it in XIV don't go second guessing it  because you think its a clone without evne seeing a full gameplayt? it only Alpha for crying out load and you guys are just saying "OMFG IT A WOW CLONE"? really? because wow sucked and so far i think FFIX:ARR is awesome like seriously wait for a full gameplay or even beta for that matter.

HERE AN IDEA OF A CLONE YOU REMEMBER TERA? Have you played Raiderz it is exactly like tera only thing that isnt the same are the characters. If your saying Final Fantasy:ARR will be exactly like wow with only Final Fantasy skin without even seeing alpha your just dumb. It 7 days in alpha and the only thing the jp complained about is....... that they didn't make enought hair style that all. If they haven't complained about it being a WoW clone maybe it isn't a WoW clone?

• SSJGotenx268SSJGotenx268 Member Posts: 63

Sorry to say, but every game out there has some kind of "WoW Clone" In it., minus the sandboxes (don't quote me on that. Not a big fan). Just because they take ideas from a successful MMO doesn't mean it's a clone. 

Like he said, it will still feel like a Final Fantasy game. Last I checked, WoW doesn't have any Final Fantasy feel.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by BadSpock

You know what?

I'd love love love a game with the content and systems of WoW around the time of the Ulduar raid cycle in Wrath of the Lich King (before they downsized and simplified the stats and talents) with the graphics and FF flavor of FFXIV:ARR.

You know I'd probably love that quite a lot.

Great graphics, great story, great raiding, great dungeons...

Throw in some great crafting, housing, no flying mounts - I'd play that game.

Sheeit. I'd marry that game.

• gandlesgandles Member UncommonPosts: 84
    i'm pretty sure theres another post similar to this, if you dont like FF dont play, trust me they wont starve if you dont play it, im excited as a long time FF fan to see what this game can bring. Haterade, for that deep down player hater!! haha
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
       After the first one was such a disaster what did you expect??...Of course they are going to try and copy as much of the game that has 10+ million customers.
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Compaining about Chocobos? Have you ever PLAYED a Final Fantasy game?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• gandlesgandles Member UncommonPosts: 84
    you sir are correct, gotta give em credit for the effort, i mean trying to satify there displeased customers by remaking the game, even though it might be a copy of anoter games style.
  • Sovereign1Sovereign1 Member Posts: 7

I'm actually quite excited at the possibility of 2.0 being a WoW-clone. My MMO career has spanned 3 decades having spent the majority of my time in UO, FFXI, and now LoTRO. I loved the sandbox of UO and the uniqueness of XI, but the themepark just isn't a tired model for me. Creating such a game with the look and feel of my favorite franchise is just pure win, imo.

On the otherhand, I would have loved essentially XI part 2 with updated graphics, the new armory system, and a UI tailored for the PC user versus the console, which is what I thought 1.0 was going to be. Based on the 2.0 Alpha footage that was floating around, the game already seems to look, feel, move and interact a whole lot better, which has me pretty excited either way.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by iatesand
    Tagent 

The problem with what you say is that in order for a sandbox MMO to function you need pvp. Player driven content = pvp. And let’s face it.. Lots of people hate pvp in their MMO. Players are just opposed to having their enjoyable night of questing ruined by being ganked over and over by some 2 -3 people. Some people like it, most people do not.

Nonsense, right from your first sentence.

You do not "need" PvP in a sandbox MMO, or in any MMO.

Perhaps *you* personally need it. Others do not. PvP is only necessary in a game, or game system, designed to support and encourage it.

PvP is never "required" for anyone but PvP'ers.

I understand and realize pro-PvP'ers will disagree 100%. I've seen all the arguments debated over and over again. Going after other players is the only right way to play a MMO because going after mobs is boring, blah blah blah.. yes, I know the arguments all too well. Again. It's a PvP'er's mentality. It's not a universal truth.

I love PvP myself (even though I suck at it :-p). But I'm not so ego-centric as to believe that what I enjoy is what everyone else should enjoys. I'm not so self-centered that I believe my preferred gameplay style somehow represents "how games are supposed to be made". That completely un-earned and undue sense of entitlement so many demonstrate is, fortunately, something I don't suffer from.

PvP is not necessary in a sandbox MMO. I don't care what yours or anyone else's opinion of what "a true sandbox" is. Unless you can point me to a single, objective and authoritative source (as in, not someone's personal opinion) that defines and dictates "what a true sandbox MMO requires", and it has PvP listed, all you are arguing is your own personal preference. Personal preferences are not mandates.

There are plenty of other ways a developer can implement things that challenge players and "take away their stuff" that doesn't involve other player-controlled characters.

I’m not sure you can name a working sandbox game that isn’t based at its core with pvp. I have been playing EVE for years and even though they have dozens of “expansions” it’s more or less mass Player on Player content that drives the game. Look at Planeside and PS2 it is 100% player content. But you can’t sell a game to the masses based on PVP.

I can name two off the top of my head. A Tale In The Desert and WURM Online, which offers both PvP and non-PvP servers. Clearly, on the non-PvP servers aren't "based at their core with pvp".

Both are sandbox. Neither requires PvP at its core to work.

Now, if you're going to respond to that, please leave your goal-post where it is.

On Topic: FFXI would very much be considered a themepark by most people. Some would consider it a sandbox/themepark hybrid, but I think that might be pushing it. F

The thing about FFXI, though, is that it had your classic "theme-park" style progression, in a number of different ways. What it also had, though, were "game systems", which is - I believe - what helped it do as well as it did, for as long as it did.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Excited for 2.0. I'll be playing when it relaunches clone or no clone.
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    I will be playing it also. I'm jus so fucking bored with WoW. If I wanted to play it then I would play it. Everytime I buy a new title I feel like I am tricked into buying WoW a second time.  I'm still trying to sell TSW to get my money back. I've even started learning Objective C, since I have a mac, so that maybe oneday I can make another game that I will enjoy playing. If everyone stopped buying video games and the market crashed I would be very happy. Video games for the majority are so mediocre.
  • wrongfeifongwrongfeifong Member CommonPosts: 405

Not a wow clone.

Wow is also a clone of everquest.

Everyquest is a clone of UO

UO is a clone of a board game.

Clone is evoluation.

what wow don't have FFXIv have?

Graphic, amazing FF feel CG and a SUPERB STORY!!

FFXIV got nstant class changes, armor craft that is useful (unless wow you pick up junks), a lot group moments require, job advance change story line, teleportation....and one big ass connected area.

none

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

According to an interview with Naoki Yoshida, the director and producer of FFXIV ARR, the new game will be a WoW clone.  

You lost me right there ....  That's not what he said.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Fuck this.....

Yeah because first attempt was so damn successful right? what possible reason they could have to rework on entire game from scratch?

Damn if you do and damn if you don't.

• RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Yeah because first attempt was so damn successful right? what possible reason they could have to rework on entire game from scratch?

Damn if u do? i think u are wrong on that. FFXIV: ARR have a new Producer and Director and a lot more people than previus fail working on this title... is like u say that FFXII had no future because FFX-2 was so bad. FFXIV: ARR Is completely a new game with the same lore, and lore was not bad in 1.0.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by Ralstlin
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

Damn if u do? i think u are wrong on that. FFXIV: ARR have a new Producer and Director and a lot more people than previus fail working on this title... is like u say that FFXII had no future because FFX-2 was so bad. FFXIV: ARR Is completely a new game with the same lore, and lore was not bad in 1.0.

Sorry bro but you completely missed the point i was trying to make.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

I am watching this very carefully.  If it is a WOW clone, is this necessarily a bad thing?  I imagine to some yes and to some no.  We attach a specific opinion to the context of a wow clone and speculate as to what we think it means.  PersonallY I feel its important to at least wait, play the game and then form our opinions.  I am cautiously optimistic after seeing the recent cinematic. 

• Arcondo87Arcondo87 Member Posts: 94

People keep forgetting that WoW IS a Everyquest clone...or atleast they got alot of there ideas from it. Wish i had that video where they interview the WoW devs and they all admit to be hardcore everquest players and that they were inspired by it and took alot of what they enjoyed out of the game and put it in WoW.... But then Everquest fed off the success of Neverwinter nights...wich was BEFORE everquest...so in a way everquest copied Neverwinter Nights

FOUND THE DOCUMENTORY!!! HERE IT IS!! WATCH AND LEARN!|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtqG1u2hqUY&feature=relmfu

and the piece about the wow devs is in here fast forward to 3:20ish they openly admit wow woudnt exzist if everquest didnt inspire them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=022CU1p7Jbk&feature=relmfu

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    If the game is fun to play I don't give a turd if it's a clone.
  • EternalSage2000EternalSage2000 Member UncommonPosts: 29

This game is beautiful,  The Final Fantasy World and Lore is beautiful.  I bought the collectors edition XIV and ,tried my hardest to like the game.  I played WoW for a very long time,  loved the lore up til Wrath, the controls were tight, and the game was fluid.  If they have sucessfully made a new FF MMO, with the simplicity of controls and ui customization that WoW has.  I will be extremely pleased.

However,  FFXIV has burned me before,  while I want to love ARR, I am skeptical.  Please Square,  I want to love you again. 

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    Final fantasy cloning itself since 1987. who's cloning who? control and UI ? with that small thinking then Battle field cloned Call of Duity who cloned Socom right? clone please . Nothing in FF will ever be from WoW or anyother game for that matter. Debate Ova!

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Arcondo87

People keep forgetting that WoW IS a Everyquest clone...or atleast they got alot of there ideas from it. Wish i had that video where they interview the WoW devs and they all admit to be hardcore everquest players and that they were inspired by it and took alot of what they enjoyed out of the game and put it in WoW.... But then Everquest fed off the success of Neverwinter nights...wich was BEFORE everquest...so in a way everquest copied Neverwinter Nights

FOUND THE DOCUMENTORY!!! HERE IT IS!! WATCH AND LEARN!|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtqG1u2hqUY&feature=relmfu

and the piece about the wow devs is in here fast forward to 3:20ish they openly admit wow woudnt exzist if everquest didnt inspire them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=022CU1p7Jbk&feature=relmfu

WoW is not an Everquest clone. How do two games being similar, of the same genre, become a clone? This is so ridiculous I feel retarded wasting my time on it.  The videos you posted describe how the WoW developers had fun with EQ. The FFXIV development team is stating that they are making FFXIV with minimal differences from WoW.

WoW was so different than EQ. EQ virtually required grouping, had harsh death penalties, did not lead you around by the nose with a marked minimap, had few instances, and was HARD. WoW is dumb. DUMB. You solo clear to max level, move from map marker to map marker, spend SO much time in instances, hardly a death penalty, and is easy.  How is one the clone of another? Just because there are eleves and dwarves and magic does not mean it's a clone.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff. I have to stop coming to these message boards it has to be bad for me. Just because some games come after others does NOT mean that the ones that come after it are clones of the earlier games. Everquest is a UO clone.........yeah right. And TERA is an Anarchy Online Clone.  OK

And to the people saying that FFXIV 1.0 was trying to be original.................in what respect was it trying to be original?

This discussion has been closed.