Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greed Monger, name change?

emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

Hi guys,

Greed Monger looks like a game that has plenty of potential. However your products name is terrible. Im sure you could provide something better.

It would appear you have some really nice game features, may i suggest you apply a title to your product that captures this. Greed monger really does not inspire much and it does not reveal much about your game. Infact it suggests a single player experience.

Please take this as Positive feedback

Comments

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Agreed.

Greed Monger is possibly the worst MMO name I've ever seen. I think a lot of people will skip it just because the name sounds like a class B tycoon simulator.

Given that it's a UO-inspired sandbox with some really interesting features, this is a shame. The devs should really, really consider a name change.
  • stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394
    I agree the title isnt attractive, but it does fit the game.  I've seen the game posted here a few times, havnt really read up on it....but I do know it's a crafting game, and I would assume the point is to find crafting materials, hoard them and......craft.   To me, if those are the main objectives or anything like that, that would make you a greed monger.  I suppose calling it something else could make it sound better, but it certainly fits what the game is about no?
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    The devs have considered it and they will not change the name. This game could be called crap inc and I would still play it. Name doesnt make the game.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

@ Stringboi

The name reflecting the game's theme is fine and all, but any game will want to sound cool and appealing rather than riduculous. I doubt WoW would have attracted as many players if was called "Gear Grinder". I know this game does not need/want to be like WoW or anything but at least it will not want to alienate potential players - which it will if they keep this crappy name.
  • stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394
    To be honest, I thought it was an odd name when I first saw it...but thats what actually made me click on it to find out more about it.  Then I read what the game was about and it made sense and doesnt seem odd to me at all.....I guess its how you want to look at it.  A name shouldnt stop anyone from not digging in further.   /shrug
  • DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    What made me look at it was the addition of this to a forums thread "Crafting centric MMO" the name didnt even come into my mind until afterwards.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223
    The name is attractive in a sense. I wanted to know more when I saw the name. Anyone with an ounce of wonder will want to click on it and see what it is about. I think with a name like greed monger, it forces you to investigate. Time will tell if the general populace cares enough to look past a questionable and uninformative name. I still think its better than slapping a bunch of World of BLAHBLAH: AGE OF SOME FANCY WORD on the game.

• MogusMogus Member Posts: 169

The idea for the name is multi-fold.

#1. In a genre where so many games are going with the latin or greek names, it's just not inventive anymore and I'm tired of the same old mold. If Greed Monger were another clone of whats come before, then I would name it whatever and toss it into market. But it's not.

#2. You will never forget the name, because it had an impact on you one way or another. It's much easier to remember Greed Monger than Leviticus Klinitus Amoras or whatever people are naming games now. You may not prefer the name now, but anytime from this day forward that you see the name pop up in an article, you'll read it. Because you're at least curious, for better or worse.

#3. The name reflects the worst of what is expected in a game with so much freedom. In other words, if you are a Greed Monger, you may be wealthy, but will have no friends. You may own a castle, but it will be empty. Greed Monger will be very political and very much focused on communities working together to achieve greater goals. Greed Mongers won't be looked at favorably but the fact is, with the options available in the game, you could effectively become one.

Whether you like the name or not right now, in time you will see just how much the name fits and once you "get it" you will like it, at the very least, accept it.

:)

www.greedmonger.com
    Did you like Ultima Online? Then you'll LOVE Greed Monger!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Mogus

#1. In a genre where so many games are going with the latin or greek names, it's just not inventive anymore and I'm tired of the same old mold. If Greed Monger were another clone of whats come before, then I would name it whatever and toss it into market. But it's not.

#2. You will never forget the name, because it had an impact on you one way or another. It's much easier to remember Greed Monger than Leviticus Klinitus Amoras or whatever people are naming games now. You may not prefer the name now, but anytime from this day forward that you see the name pop up in an article, you'll read it. Because you're at least curious, for better or worse.

#3. The name reflects the worst of what is expected in a game with so much freedom. In other words, if you are a Greed Monger, you may be wealthy, but will have no friends. You may own a castle, but it will be empty. Greed Monger will be very political and very much focused on communities working together to achieve greater goals. Greed Mongers won't be looked at favorably but the fact is, with the options available in the game, you could effectively become one.

Whether you like the name or not right now, in time you will see just how much the name fits and once you "get it" you will like it, at the very least, accept it.

Actually no.  I am one of those who dismissed the title first based on it's name, and then when I read a few comments about "crafting centered MMO" I lost any interest. (Don't get me wrong, I like good crafting in a MMORPG, just so I don't necessarily have to do it to prosper)

Your 3rd bullet was first item of interest to me, but then I'm an EVE player (cool name...notice) and I like games where greed is good.

I haven't read anything about this title, just dropped in here to see how much "business sense" was going on, not much apparently.

Bad movie titles kill movies...I didn't see Big Fish until it came out on television, and really enjoyed it then.  But they got no revenue from me. Their mistake.

Bad game titles can hurt games too....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    I think the name is bad. To me it sends a clear message that those who want to co-operate are not wanted in this game.

Originally posted by Mogus

One should not need to "get" some deeper meaning behind the name to be attracted to a game.

The name is just a label, a brand - it's meant to sound cool, a bit neutral but yet fitting the game's theme. That's why we have all these generic fantasy titles; they work because they don't require any deeper understanding of how the game mechanics works. Sure they might be confusingly alike but if people are interested in the mechanics and the word spreads, a game will be remembered despite being called "Generic Fantasy name: Age of generic fantasy theme".

An ugly name will perhaps attract some potential players just because it's unique, but when it's also based on a word that most people (with the exception of Gordon Gekko wannabes) find pretty revolting, even more people will be turned off by it. Also, you can have a unique-sounding name that still sounds cool (Salem, EVE, whatever).

Still, it's your game and I wish you luck. It looks very interesting and I'll probably play it regardless of its title.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

greed  (grimaged)n. An excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves, especially with respect to material wealth:

mon·ger  (mimagengimagegimager, mimagengimage-)n.

1. A dealer in a specific commodity. Often used in combination: an ironmonger.

2. A person promoting something undesirable or discreditable

So .... A person who promotes, or deals in the commodity of an excessive desire to acquire or possess more than what one needs or deserves : Greed Monger.

It's your Mmo, by all means build it how you want. If there's any consideration from the target audience though ... I'd say change it. There really aren't that many names using Latin or Greek are there?

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Haven't you all watch the movie Wall Street?

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good" Gordon Gecko

• RheanonRheanon Member UncommonPosts: 130

Frankly, if the game was named like most of the run of the mill games on the mmorpg game list, I would have thought "meh, another lame themepark game."  However, Greedmonger caught my attention, so I clicked.  Went to the official site and read all about it.

"Ooooooo, UO inspired crafting and adventuring, ooooo, nice graphics, ooooo player made world with housing, place furniture anywhere?  That lead me to the kickstart campaign link and I backed it.  Its the first time I've backed anything but hey, how long has it been since UO launched? 

I've been looking for this type of game for years folks, and nobody is making something like this.  Themeparks is all there is out there.  Same old, same old.   If it had a "conventional" name, I would not have payed attention and I would have missed out.  Keep Greedmonger.  Its growing on me :)

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

If the "name" of this mmo is the only thing keeping you from looking into it and wanting to play based soley on the games name, then you are narrow minded.

And Eve was a horrible name also, as was many other mmo's out today.

This game i am looking forward to reading up on and checking out based soley on its features and concept of said game. That is what attracts people and keeps them going. Not a name.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

It is the reason I will be continuing to ignore this game, without looking into it at all.  That's how bad it is, to me.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

I dont mind the name for the game.

but first thing that crossed my mind is that is what the MMO companies of today are becoming.  Greed Mongers, cash shops, p2w, wow clones, games only being important that sell x amount of copies etc.

I know they "say" that the only items for cash shop are plots, but I guarantee, if people arent trading them for currency they are going to need to come up with another way to make a profit, and thats when we can point the Green Monger moniker right back at them

FWIW I totally intend on playing this game, and working with others to take down the Mongers

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    It's not that bad. But if they changed it I think they would attract more people. I didn't get the impression greed is major goal in the game.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712
    I dont mind the name. Perhaps it will repel some 12 year olds, which is good.
  • KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

i think the name fits a Crafters game perfectly

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• chorizo110chorizo110 Member Posts: 5
    I would play a game named "stinky cheese" if its a good game.
  • SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by chorizo110

Yeah but its not.

I Beta'd stinky Cheese and it was total Pay to win crap. Plus false advertising (I plan to sue) as I thought the cheese smelled mildly appetizing and constantly made me hungy while playing.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by chorizo110

+1 That's the way I see it, a name does not reflect what the game is, however if you unable to come up with a good name then throw it out to the community they will provide you with a name.

Bandit

Asbo

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    The devs have considered it and they will not change the name. This game could be called crap inc and I would still play it. Name doesnt make the game.

But it can help promote it.

Example:

Which would you buy?

A) Crap Inc.

B) Shithole Alpha Garbage

C) Awesome game with HOT babes!

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276
    Every Game with a good name is pure fail so please keep the original name :]