Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what do the "NOT-GW2" gamers play?

123457»

Comments

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

I managed to get to level 60 (warrior) in GW2 before I left. Its just not my type of game. I'm currently playing RaiderZ, and World of Warcraft MoP.  I'm also playing Firefall off and on.

What I like about RaiderZ is their active combat system.  It compares quite well to Tera's combat system.  The graphics are not quite as good (especially the eye candy), but I'm enjoying it.

http://raiderz.perfectworld.com/

As for WoW MoP, its got a LOT of content, and I have managed to get one of my five 85's to 90 (warrior). I'm currently playing the monk class(level 36).  To tell you the truth, I'm not sure I'm going to take my monk all the way to 90.  The monk class has its advantages, but nothing one of my other 85's can't do better.  I have a level 90 warrior, and four 85's (Rogue, Death Knight, Hunter, Pally).

I like the new direction that Red5 is taking Firefall. The much more active Chosen attacks and new combat dynamics are making a big difference. I'll be watching to see how much further this extends.

http://www.firefallthegame.com/

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Pathfinder there is no reason to waste time on casual MMOs.
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Playing a little Vanguard and DDO, but mostly playing Painkiller: Hell & Damnation, Killing Floor, Skyrim, and Legend of Grimrock.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    MWO   WoT   Vanguard   RLC (  guilty pleasure :)  )   Sometimes when Im feeling froggy I go outside and see the giant yellow hurt ball in the sky

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

It is with great reluctance... That I have agreed to this calling... err game... but I resubbed SWTOR for the time being. Despite it'S many severe flaws, I still have a few class stories I like to see. Wish I could play them only without the planet stuff in the replay.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I'm having fun in LOTRO and Rift.

LOTRO for the new expansion content and mounted combat, which I'm loving. I have a lot of friends in LOTRO so will probably raid but for now, I'm taking my time leveling up to the new cap.

Rift is a new thing I'm trying that's very, VERY much like WoW back in TBC. But the spawning rifts are cool and even as a lowbie noob, I felt OP clearing rifts by myself. Been a long time since I felt any kind of OP in a game. I am intrigued by the housing coming in the expansion on the 12th so I bought the xpac and subbed for a month to see what's up.

While I love TSW and have a lifetime sub, I haven't logged in for 10 days. My cabal is falling apart and it's getting in the way of my desire to log in. :(

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Lord of The Rings Online

Dungeons & Dragons Online

I'm a cheap player but don't care. I do buy stuff but very very rarely and as long as others buy turbine points then hopefully despite layoffs the games will continue. I intend to make purchases from their online stores now and again so I'm not a total Scrooge but I do buy very very very sparingly compared to spending on a sub or B2P. 

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by elocke

Saying "you want to know what game others consider SUPERIOR to GW2" is baiting and you  know it.  I'm not playing GW2 right now and won't until they add systems to the game to keep me IN the game but I wouldn't consider the other games I'm playing "superior".  Just better designed and good old standby's that have already proved themselves to me.  Such as Rift, Lotro and WoW.  I'm literally playing all 3 currently depending on which game my mood suits.

I like WoW for chatting with friends, fun PVE, awesome music and lots to do thanks to the new MoP expack.

I play Lotro because I have a lifetime sub and the new expansion is fantastic.  Great music, great story, fun PVE, and I like logging in for my Hytbold dailies.

I play Rift, because they know how to spend my monthly sub and are constantly growing the game and adding new systems to it on a very consistent timely basis and it's about to grow 2 fold in 2 weeks with a new expack.  The housing alone will hold me over for quite a long time, just like it did in FFXI, EQ2 and SWG.

If they like a game a little bit more, than it's superior in their opinion. It's a simple thing.   And take a look at the posts. I haven't said anything about another game, I've listened to peoples opinions and appreciated their input.

Why is it baiting if I claim that there are games out there superior to GW2? Other people have obviously made claims that GW2 is inferior, so I'm just trying to understand their perspective.

Your responses have been fine, but the original title of the thread, before it was changed to "NOT-GW2", was quite a bit less friendly. That's why people questioned your motive. I guess you could say "Freudian Slip".  Though it's a more credible now that it's been edited.

On Topic:

I'm playing Rift primarily. It's not the best game ever, but it's the best game now. Don't get me wrong. I'm no Rift fanboy. This game has issues. In fact, one I had deemed to be game breaking.(Cookie cutter specs) and I quit over it. I returned when I realized there wasn't much out there that was better. There are other issues as well. People have made a lot of complaints about Rift and many are very valid. But saying it's too much like WoW (currently), I'd disagree with. Yes it has more than a few similarities. Many people remember what it was like at release. But people are forgetting. Both Rift and WoW have been evolving in different directions since this game was conceived. While it plays and feels a lot like WoW, there is also many things that are very different. Especially now with MoP. They've grown apart. The individual features and functions have been discussed, Really, a simple browse through the Rift discussion forums will show you what you are looking for in terms of specific answers. To me, I think one of Rifts best features is the open world PVE raid system. I really enjoy the invasions.

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

Skyrim still, Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2 and Dungeon Defenders, still.

And WoW occasionally, although all of my friends quit so its a bit boring.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Well.. GW2 didn't dissapoint me, but somehow I stopped playing anyway. I didn't give me the 'healthy addiction' other MMORPGs gave me. Also college started and I was very busy with it so that was also a factor. I am planning on giving GW2 another go this week since I have a lazy module (yay!).

What I am playing a lot in the meanwhile:

- Pokémon Heart Gold and Black 2

- Fifa 13

As you can see, no MMORPGs at all, sad actually.

Trying out:

- Natural Selection 2

- Pirate 101

- A lot of games from GOG.com. You know, when developers took gameplay over graphics ;]

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

Dark Souls PC with the community patch and mouse fix.

Its hard, its fun and its more RPG than GW2 ever will be.

If you think GW2 has some level of difficulty then I would not advise you to play dark souls. I am pretty sure you wouldn't get through the tutorial.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

I hear alot of particular people going on about how GW2 isn't "all that" and I just wanted to know what game or games are so much better than GW2.  I beleive it was GeezerGamer that had suggested GW2 was a great game for when you only had a short period of time, so maybe I should look at what games some of these more enlightened individuals play in case I want to spend some longer periods in a game.

Please share with us, all of your expert suggestions.

EDIT: Oh and please don't leave silly posts like  "Game-X is the bomb, it's way better."  We all would like to hear what actual mechanics make these games so much better.

Your main post title is worth the same like u were asking: So what ppl eat if not cabbages. I mean,if your  main title's post was what ppl play if not wow would have a meaning since wow sold 12 million copies and has a steady base of 7-8 million ppl playing. You cant ask this though for gw2 cause its a mediocre mmorpg with average sales.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Inf666

Dark Souls PC with the community patch and mouse fix.

Its hard, its fun and its more RPG than GW2 ever will be.

If you think GW2 has some level of difficulty then I would not advise you to play dark souls. I am pretty sure you wouldn't get through the tutorial.

I'm pretty sure MMO-centric gamers couldn't get through most RPG tutorials... image

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Currently playing Vindictus because it has supperior action combat with real physics. Envorinment as weapons, Breakable armor, and it is actually free.

Also Vindictus has large scale 24 man PvE raids with gear progression. Guild Wars 2 doesn't even offer raids as PvE end game. Without the better gear progression carrot there is really no reason to play a game like Guild Wars 2.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

DayZ and Borderlands 2 atm.

Waiting for DF:UW

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Do we really need another one of these? it is quite clear you have no intention of having a discussion and just want to vent your frustration because well not everybody is in love with GW2.

Why insult intelligence of others by pretending that you actually care for their opinion? 

'Please share us with your expert suggestion'. I think that gives away your intentions behind this topic. Nice attempt at baiting though.

You are AWESOME. I read the OP's post and thought the exact same thing, but my response wasn't going to be nearly awesome.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Thanks for all the responses! Even though there have been a few people that feel my thread was inappropriate, the majority of posters gave me valuable feedback. 

What I've learned.

The majority of posters who've quit GW2 feel that even though GW2 is not an "inferior" game to any notable extent, but chose to or ended up playing something else.

Some people played TERA. This is great news to me because I've thought about TERA with it's stunning character models and alternative approach to combat, as a game I might like to try once I've had my fill of GW2

Some people played Rift. This is good to know as well. I don't have any intention on playing Rift, but I think Trion deserves props for putting out a solid effort at keeping their community satisfied.

Some people play EVE and other sandbox games. This is more what I expected for answers, and I see there is a sizeable amount of sandboxers on this site.

Thanks again to those who participated. I appreciate those people that have shared the games they enjoy over GW2. They have proven to me that they are not trolls and I will continue to value their opinions as they share them in the future. These are people that I do not want to block, because even though their opinion may be contrary to mine, it's still valuable and honest.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• AesowhreapAesowhreap Member Posts: 78
    I have been playing ROSE for about 3 months now but am tired of it. I havent met anybody to kick it with am some parts of the game now dissapoint me. If I can't find a party except for to lvl up my character the game is boring.

Best Regards, ...

• npTrombenpTrombe Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Salem, Firefall, Path of Exile, Planetside2 and a couple of games that have a NDA on it.
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I played in GW2 beta and didn't really like it. What am I playing now? Nothing. The MMO genre has become incredibly stale to me. Got my eye on a few upcoming games (WildStar, TESO, EQ:Next). I cannot say if any of them will end up worth playing though.
  • InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663
    I'm playing Path of Exile and waiting for the new FFXIV to be released. Also waiting for a steam sale of The Secret World so I can try it out for a month or two. Not paying 30 bucks for it, but I would do 15-20. It will get that cheap soon, watch.
  • waterwizardwaterwizard Member Posts: 33

WAR: age of reckoning 

Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3

Borderlands 1

Titan Quest

Torchlight 2

BOARD GAMES

Lotro LCG (Not the correct name but it is what it is... to both of us. We were both there: Waterborn, Emerella, Brittlebeard)

Jaipur

We are always learning a new board game.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by DonY81

ill go....

Im  kinda dabbling with Rift ( cant beleive it but true ).

WoW ... just cant play it.

GW2 obviously couldnt stick it...i do like working towards something.

TSW ... doesnt float my boat..not sure why.

So ive started Rift a bit. I also play Chivalry medievil Warfare which is hilarous

great! So what is it about Rift that makes it a superior game?

no game is superior but rift is and have more to offer than gw2.

wow survives cause its minigames. how many things there is to do in gw2 other than just ever rolling dynamics events pointless dungeons and pvp wich you need to more in mass like pack of sharks in order to change something init?