Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: The Halloween Wrap Up

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Now that the Halloween festivities have wrapped up in Guild Wars 2, we have our post mortem on the event based on our own experiences. See what we thought of the first major holiday event in the game's history and then leave us your ideas in the comments.

Deadly pranks and corny jokes.  This is what you’ll experience when you spend a day with the Mad King Thorn.  In fact, if it weren't for his size and the flames that surround his head, the Mad King wouldn't seem to be a very terrifying being.  Halloween is a big event for many of us, and in the world of Guild Wars 2, it's no different.   I just wish ArenaNet would give me real candy while playing the game. 

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: The Halloween Wrap Up.

A nice addition to the town clothes, though I’m sure some players would like this to be a skin for armors.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Fun times

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    I dont understand you complaints, this was far beyound any holliday event ever in any MMO... things can never be to perfect..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Bacchus... careful now the bias in youth post is quite strong and gushing out like crazy. When you are making use of quite jarring words in exaggerating like far beyond or 'ever. Feel free to say it's one of YOUR favorites if you like. :)
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    The Halloween event was crazy fun.  Can't wait to see more holiday events!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Best event ever?  You like being nickle and dimed in the cash shop for costumes and keys to open chests?

Sigh.. what has the genre come to.

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Originally posted by Dakirn

Best event ever?  You like being nickle and dimed in the cash shop for costumes and keys to open chests?

Sigh.. what has the genre come to.

the halloween chests did not need a key, you could also craft them, plus none of the  events needed gems nor the pages hunt.  if you were forced anyway to use the shop to have fun i must have missed it.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

One thing that that stood out on the current Anet interview- 

when asked what they learned about this event they said ' they felt they needed to show better how  todo things with events to players...'

I sooooo disagree with this!!!! the fact that they ddint hand held you was so refreshing! the book event was so difficualt and loved it! i had to use google!!!-lol we went in groups with my guild.

I love ther fact Anet dosent hand hold you on events and goals. a more 'mature' MMO experience!

dont dumb down the game!!!! we have seen where that leads to...Azeroth!

<.<

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    I dont understand you complaints, this was far beyound any holliday event ever in any MMO... things can never be to perfect..

Wow, nice blatant fanboyism lol....

Sorry but this was no where near close to the best holiday event ever lol....

Probably should be edited to say In your Opinion.....

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by nationalcity

I actually agree with him. This is the best holiday event I've participated in in an MMO. Plenty of things wrong with GW2; the Halloween event was a refreshing reminder of what the devs are capable of.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863
    Other than stat-less weapon skins and town clothes, one of the best items you could get was Mad Memories: Complete Edition. The only way to get it is by completing both parts of the scavenger hunt. Nothing in the gem store can even help you get it. I worked a couple days to get it, and it was very worth it, with very good stats for a back items and flames that act as a light source for when I don't have a torch with me.

People who complain about being nickel and dimed probably didn't even play a single one of the events. Most of them probably didn't even log on.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

Lol.. people getting angry because someone loved the event..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• MilitantMilitant Member Posts: 48
    I liked the event and thought it was well done with the exception of the clocktower.. Between it being nearly impossible while a norn/char was trying it and the timer to wait it was an unnecessarily annoying time sink that i abandoned. Also, due to Hurricane Sandy i'm annoyed Anet didnt have the courtesy to extend the event.. Alot of playtime was lost.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I tried the clocktower about 6 or 7 times on my charr and gave up.  If I was able to do it with no other players around I would have stuck it out.

The scavenger hunt was just me using a guide online.  Not much fun there.

The PVP instances were OK. I didn't bother with the last two stages.

Hopefully the November event/content patch is a lot better.

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

Yep, raging mad here dude *rollseyes*

Just sick of the constant butt-kissing of this game when its no different then any MMO in the past 10 years. 

Just because of the name people seem to see it through rose colored goggles and bash every other game for the same things but yet GW2 always does it better lol....

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591

Just sick of the constant butt-kissing of this game when its no different then any MMO in the past 10 years. 

Just because of the name people seem to see it through rose colored goggles and bash every other game for the same things but yet GW2 always does it better lol....

Because Guild Wars 2 is awesome. Nothing more need be said. Praise Guild Wars 2 & Amen!

Smile

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    I didn't participate in the Halloween events, but I am very pleased that they went all out on this event. Looking forward to Nov. and Christmas events. GW2 is an awesome MMO and hats off to Anet for putting so much into making it a great game!
  • cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

I didn't participate either and I have little interest in these mini events, but I'm curious on which better events you are referring to. And relax lol it really shows.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by cybersurfr

I didn't participate either and I have little interest in these mini events, but I'm curious on which better events you are referring to. And relax lol it really shows.

While I have taken a small break from the game due to school and stuff, I can say I agree with him as well. I thought the holliday event was the best one I have participated in among any of the MMO's I have played. Lock box complaints aside (I certainly didn't bother with them) the events themselves were well thought out and enjoyable. As far as stating it's his opinion... cmon really? He stated it so I think we can agree that we understood it was his opnion and not resort to silly comments like that. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• ElquinElquin Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I don't have much to say, but I just wanted to agree with the majority... This was the best Holiday event I've ever experienced in an MMO. Anet went above and beyond here and only bolstered my desire to continue to play GW2. 

Playing- GWII.
    Played-VSoH, EQII, DF, PotBS, AC2, UO, AO, FFXI, WoW, EQII, DDO, KO, VSoH, CoH/CoV, LOTRO, GB, SWG, TR.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

So wich event in wich game did you actually find more enjoyable?

Personally having played allot of MMO"s, i have seen a better helloween event in any of the other games (yet)

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628

My complaint was the second leg of the "pages hunt" was in some level 35+ areas, which my only toon was mid-30s, so I couldn't get there on my own and consequently didn't finish.

I don't understand why they did this especially with their level down system why not just make it all accessible to even lower leveled toons.

Also, since my toon hadn't seen most of the world yet I was lost on where to go for scavenger hunt pieces without using a guide, once I got there it was fun.

• OvumOvum Member UncommonPosts: 103
    I haven't seen such a good Halloween event in any game so far!

Music is the science of manipulating people trough sound.