Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Empty PvE Zones across most Servers > Server Merge ??

Comments

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

I'm on Gunnar's Hold (EU) and am working on my whole map completion. With this in mind I never have a problem finding people all the time, all over the map - from starter zones to 80 areas. I keep stumbling into people in most out of the way places imaginable and when there is a group event, I regularly see at least 10-20 show up when the call goes out on map chat.

OP, what the heck are you talking about?

(ps. As to the above poster, sir, you obviously don't know much. The game features level scaling and I'm having quite reasonable fun doing lower level content with my 80. In fact, a good portion of people in lower areas are 80s, completing the map, gathering stuff, looking for secrets, helping newbs etc.)

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Goromhir
    Originally posted by sammyeli

Ohhhh damn guys the servers THEY ARE dying!@!!!! 8 am PST

Nice i know , but where are these people ? Could it be that this HIGH and FULL includes OFFLINE players ? Yes it does, Full doesnt mean there are thousands of players online.

This server table shows missleading  data anyway. 

What gives if ETERNAL BATTLEGROUND has a 20 mins queue if the PvE zones are empty and the most level 80is are standing around in Lichs Arch waiting ??

This Table is for the dog....

Your bias is showing.  What you think in your head is not reality.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

I'm on Gunnar's Hold (EU) and am working on my whole map completion. With this in mind I never have a problem finding people all the time, all over the map - from starter zones to 80 areas. I keep stumbling into people in the most out of the way places imaginable and when there is a group event, I regularly see at least 10-20 show up when the call goes out on map chat.

OP, what the heck are you talking about?

(ps. As to the above poster, sir, you obviously don't know much. The game features level scaling and I'm having quite reasonable fun doing lower level content with my 80. In fact, a good portion of people in lower areas are 80s, completing the map, gathering stuff, looking for secrets, helping newbs etc.)

+1 here - on Gandara (EU) - I am in a lvl 50-60 zone currently and there are plenty of people running around.

• MishakaiMishakai Member Posts: 105
    So what, the 50 or so people I took down the dragon in Frostgorge sound last night were all npc's or something then? 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Random_mage
    Wow, people are dense.
    Hes saying the lower level zones are empty and there needs to be a way to fix that.
    Dont be fooled by the full notice on the server status screen. It simply means the server is full, not active players, but full of accounts created. If the servers were full as stated, there may be a log in que, and we would get more notices that we could leave the overflow server. I havent gotten any of this, even though my server is full. Also, there is no longer a queue to enter the eternal battlegrounds, which is a nice, but goes to show that the server pops are down. Sorry, but its the truth.

It is surprising how many people are totally missing the OP's point, however there hasn't been a theme park game made that hasn't fallen prey to this particular issue.

About the only way to fix it is to figure out a way to get an influx of new players, I'd say the holidays will bring another round along with folks who may reroll an alt when they have some extra free time to play.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

High level players keep zerging the higher level zones, while the lower level zones are just as much fun ... Tough at prime time every zone has more then enough people around to do those boss events.

When start people understanding that lower level zones can still give good loot when you´re max level.

I think players are beginning to find that out... like I did lol. I thought only the 80 areas are the place to be when 80, but since I started doing lower levels (for my map completion) I realized karma and loot flows as fast if not faster than 80 zones... It's easier to do DEs, they generally flow faster and a good portion of loot is scaled to your level. Once you complete the top lvl maps there is not much reason to keep hanging there except for gathering resources and exotic karma vendors...

In fact, I predict that the very opposite of what our trollish OP is beginning to happen... I'm finding it increasingly hard to assemble a DE group in Orr... and you do need a good team to unlock those vendors. While on the other hand there is no problem with not enough players in the lower level areas that I visit.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by nordya
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by nordya
    As a prospective buyer, I am slightly concerned about empty startign zones to do the events. 

Well, with pretty much any MMO, the best time to buy it is on or near release.  After a month players have hit the cap and are grinding whatever rewards tehy are after.

Well it's what 2 1/2 months since reease, you would think still new people coming in. You know capping in a month makes me feel like I am a turtle while I'm levelling lol.

Since they have overflow server tech, I'd hope they could add functionality to let players in underpopulated areas join in a non server specific instance of each zone.  Maybe wait for that if it's a concern.

You can join a party in any server so lets say you are on server A and your party is in server B you can join the same dungeon or story mode as long as you are on the same map.

That's fine for friends.  But what about people that don't know anyone online?  There should probably be built in underflow technology to make sure each zone has at least a minimum number of players.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

I do know about this mechanic. I do own GW2 copy and I was playing.   This mechanic help a bit, but does not change fundamental design concept and most players don't use it.    Don't assume things so easily. Sir.

Some higher levels frequently roam in lower level areas in many mmorpg's - making achievements, gathering resources, exploring, helping friends, strangers, guild mates or RP'ing. There is a bit more of them in GW2 due to auto-downlevelling mechanic and scalable generic rewards for DE's,but I've found difftence not very big. 

This might differ on difftent servers of course.

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Wow, people are dense.
    Hes saying the lower level zones are empty and there needs to be a way to fix that.
    Dont be fooled by the full notice on the server status screen. It simply means the server is full, not active players, but full of accounts created. If the servers were full as stated, there may be a log in que, and we would get more notices that we could leave the overflow server. I havent gotten any of this, even though my server is full. Also, there is no longer a queue to enter the eternal battlegrounds, which is a nice, but goes to show that the server pops are down. Sorry, but its the truth.

It is surprising how many people are totally missing the OP's point, however there hasn't been a theme park game made that hasn't fallen prey to this particular issue.

About the only way to fix it is to figure out a way to get an influx of new players, I'd say the holidays will bring another round along with folks who may reroll an alt when they have some extra free time to play.

We are not missing his point. The point is that he has no point. There is no shortage of players in lower level zones, period. The game has its issues but this is definitely not one of them. He's just talking out of his former mmo experience while it is quite clear he's not actually playing the game because what he presents as "fact" can be readily disproved by simply logging in for 5 minutes.

While GW2 might have a real problem "what to do in higher level zones?" it does not suffer from the old "player population in lower levels." People who claim that are simply ignorant and posing as players for whatever reason. The OP just wanted to make a cheap stab at GW2 and claimed a problem that seemed safe to him - the one that is present in every themepark to date. Well he made a big mistake, because that is one of the things GW2 actually managed to fix.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    the servers arnt empty its just a typical themepark with zones. once you level past that zone you move on, sooner or later those lower level zones will be empty and new players will feel like the game is dead.
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

At the moment GW2 is very populated on each end of the leveling but not that populated in the middle.

30-70 was really bad while leveling up my Ele.

70-80 was full though since you are in Orr where every 80 (hyperbole but probably close to the truth) on your server is.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Each server is packed with players, its bad luck for the OP i think.
    Anywhere i go i encounter players, even in the far corners of the world.

Either we are trolled or just another doomsayer :P
    My friends cant even transfer to our server as its full for the last 3 weeks :(

Well I would never imply that someone is a troll, because that is just not my style. I do remember that the OP had posted a couple weeks ago about how he was done with GW2 and selling his account. He said something about it having no staying power or something to that effect.

Now, obviously he didn't sell his account if he's roaming these desolate wastelands of the starter areas, but it's also obvious that he's decided he wants to start a new toon in this game that didn't hold any long term motivation for him. If only more people could have such a drastic change of heart, and make new toons, that these lower level areas would start to be more populated.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Wow, people are dense.

We are not missing his point - but I think he is a little early in this prediction. GW1 is still going strong.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

I guess it depends on your server. At least in Yak's Bend (where I play) lower level zones seem packed at the times I play (between 9 pm and midnight, venezuelan time), as does Lion's Arch (still get overflow there from time to time). Mid level zones (30 to 60, which is my highest level char so far) do feel more empty but I do run into several other people all the time, and map chat is usually active. So far I have had some events I've done solo, but it's more common to see at least 2 or 3 other people at least doing them, and for the group events if there's nobody there, usually a map yell of "X boss/Y event up near Z waypoint" means 10 or more people showing up in a few minutes. Of course, YMMV, and being member of a rather large guild also helps a lot, IMHO.

That said, it's normal for a game to start to become top heavy as time goes by, and actually I expected it to be worse than it is right by now, considering one of the game "features" is getting to level cap relatively fast (like in GW1). That said, I'd welcome an "underflow" server as mentioned before, that might merge a zone between different servers if it falls under a certain threshold of players, kinda like WoW's cross server zones.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Yeah, la overflow is a common thing.
  • maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by trenshod

If you read his post you would realize that he stated that the servers show high or full but there is no one in the starter zones. Have a pic for that?

I hope you realize that your "population" is based solely  on how many people have it as their "Home Server"  not how many people are currently logged in. Common mistake.

• Random_mageRandom_mage Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Glad the op was missed. I have noticed the lower zones missing people. What once was crowded fighting for objectives, now they are plentiful, and easy to get to.

Currently playing Real Life..

http://i36.tinypic.com/2uyod3k.gif

For all your stalking needs..
    http://www.plurk.com/Random_

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Goromhir

Nice i know , but where are these people ? Could it be that this HIGH and FULL includes OFFLINE players ? Yes it does, Full doesnt mean there are thousands of players online.

This server table shows missleading  data anyway. 

What gives if ETERNAL BATTLEGROUND has a 20 mins queue if the PvE zones are empty and the most level 80is are standing around in Lichs Arch waiting ??

This Table is for the dog....

ANet just reduced the server cap to 100 players. image

Actually, I wouldn't put it past them... 

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Heres on player who isnt logging in anymore after playing for 2 months hard. I dont imagine im alone. Once I got to 80, there wasnt much to do. Same dungeons, same WVW. Ill pop in for the events, but thats about it for now. PLaying PS2 instead.
  • stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    What is the requirements to be listed as a high or full server? Does anyone know? Also, is the other person correct in stating that it is the number of people listing that as a home server as opposed to the amount of people logged on? I am curious. Thanks.
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    What is the requirements to be listed as a high or full server? Does anyone know? Also, is the other person correct in stating that it is the number of people listing that as a home server as opposed to the amount of people logged on? I am curious. Thanks.

It has to do with how many people are on the server, not how many picked it as their home server (that would be just dumb). The former was the way GW1 worked and I see no reason why they would change it.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

We don't know. We know that servers go from full to high and from high to full especially during weekends (would make sense) and it happens even now when transfers are once per week. So logically thinking it is not possible to only show number of accounts. But since we can't create new characters on full server it might also being affected by number of accounts.

I think it might be some kind of combination of the two.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

ANet just reduced the server cap to 100 players. image

Actually, I wouldn't put it past them... 

you come across sounding like someone that feels Anet has ripped people off

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

I already asked this in the thread, but, if anyone played the game during normal week days in the morning ot afternoon, or late hours of the night, we shoud know.

GW2 as, IMO, atleast 1 million still. However, even then, i expect low and medium pop servers to show up during non peek times. People have jobs and school and other stuff. 

if someone had the time, we could find out. So, who wasn't to sacrifice work for it? image

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

I already asked this in the thread, but, if anyone played the game during normal week days in the morning ot afternoon, or late hours of the night, we shoud know.

GW2 as, IMO, atleast 1 million still. However, even then, i expect low and medium pop servers to show up during non peek times. People have jobs and school and other stuff. 

if someone had the time, we could find out. So, who wasn't to sacrifice work for it? image

The screenshot I posted in this thread is 8AM PST

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-