Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if TESO ends up a WoW clone, would you still play it?

muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Comments

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I won't be playing anymore pure themeparks at all, unless I see something extraordinarily outside the current norm.  So far, TESO is showing me nothing at all that seems exciting.  Sounds like more of the same with a few tweaks here and there.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    I would probably play it a while, "beat" the game and be done with it, like I do with all themepark MMOs.
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

You say as if playing 'WOW clone' makes you an outcast in society and you will never get laid.

Yes i will still play it. I could care less who is cloning whom as long as i get a fun and enaging gameplay.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    What do you mean "if"?
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

If ESO is a good game, I'll play it.  I don't care if it happens to be sandbox, themepark, hybrid, whatever.  Far too many people here are so stuck on the black/white, either/or attitude of trying to fit any given MMO into a specific sub-genre.  It's like talking politics with people, where everyone has been gravitating to the extremes lately.

You make me like charity

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    These polls are silly lately. If TESO is like Wow then the question is not whether you like Wow or not but whether you like the moderm themepark model. TESO is not Wow so the question is about how it is implemented. There are tons of themepark games out there and if you like or hate them it has nothing to do with liking or hating Wow. There is no choice for that for I cannot choose an option.

You stay sassy!

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

From the very limited info we are receiving, it looks to be a blend of WoW and GW2 with the ES flavor. The combat system alone is making me want to give it a try though. You can still wield whatever weapon(s) and use typical ES mechanics like blocking and power attacks. The classes seem to just narrow down your secondary skill choices, and allows the developers to make more flavor choices for folks when they are selecting powers.

Before I make any judgements on whether I will play or not, I will need to see actual gameplay though. The proof is always in the pudding.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No

I'm already not playing it. At first I was looking forwards to it as it sounded like a cross between tes and daoc, with the talk of open dungeons, rvr endgame, tes style crafting, no quest hubs just wander off and find stuff - it sounded good.

Then we got.
    "of course we have mini game pvp too"
    "of course we have instanced dungeons too"
    "we have raid end game too"
    "hey now we are using this mega server where we instance each zone"

Refuse to play anymore "raiders first" mmos, or mmos where endgame is a glorified lobby game.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      Totally 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

No, I'm pretty much done with standard theme park MMO's, but....if the 3 faction PVP really does work out more like DAOC than perhaps I could be lured in. (and that would mean it wasn't a clone now, wouldn't it?)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    I picked, No, love ES but hate WoW. but that isn't accurate. I don't hate WoW, just bored of it. If I wanted to play a WoW clone, I'd be playing WoW.
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

There has never and will never be an MMO that is a WOW clone, me think people don't know the definition of the word clone.

a person or thing regarded as an exact copy of another:

a computer designed to simulate exactly the operation of another, typically more expensive, model:

make an identical copy of:

Now if the OP is asking if  TESO has quests and races and classes and PVE and PVP will i play it, yes i will.

If i go by the OP then i would never play MMOs again.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by halflife25

You say as if playing 'WOW clone' makes you an outcast in society and you will never get laid.

Yes i will still play it. I could care less who is cloning whom as long as i get a fun and enaging gameplay.

Wrong! I'm married. WoW is what happened AFTER all that.

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

Using the term "WoW clone" has really become cliche.   It's like calling all heavy metal bands "Sabbath clones"

WoW does a lot of things right and while I don't play the game anymore, I'm certainly not opposed to other companies using ideas from WoW.

And just like almost every other MMO player I know, I'll probably give ESO a shot for a month or two then make a decision from there.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

There has never and will never be an MMO that is a WOW clone, me think people don't know the definition of the word clone.

a computer designed to simulate exactly the operation of another, typically more expensive, model:

Now if the OP is asking if  TESO has quests and races and classes and PVE and PVP will i play it, yes i will.

i think the majority of people understand the way in which i used the term "wow clone".  but if you want further clarification.....

if teso is a  linear porgression,  quest hub,  gear treadmill,  dungeon finder,  fomulated mmo.  would you still play it?

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by muffins89

i think the majority of people understand the way in which i used the term "wow clone".  but if you want further clarification.....

if teso is a  linear porgression,  quest hub,  gear treadmill,  dungeon finder,  fomulated mmo.  would you still play it?

lol once again   Totally  :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Did you miss the part i have now made yellow

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Think I am done with playing mmorpg's which are just a framework for matchmaking aka "cross-server auto-teleport press a button to get into instance". So I would not.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Yes I would.

However, Unless they make another complete U-turn in the desgin I doubt it will play like a "WoW-clone".

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Not a chance. I've played WoW on and off for 7 years. I have nothing bad to say about it. It's just not what I want out of an MMO anymore. I need a strong focus on RvR and territory control like DAOC had, otherwise I will not play it.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Nothing I've heard yet has garnered my interest.  I'm not a big ES fan.  I played through Oblivion but found it disappointing.  I'll eventually play Skyrim and believe I will enjoy it much more.

I'd probably be more interested in TESO if it was made by the Skyrim devs themselves.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Wait, so isn't TESO cloning DAoC?

So if TESO == WoW clone

than doesn't that mean DAoC== WoW clone?

Hummmm interesting...

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Good WoW clone meaning polished engine, alternative leveling zones, numerous battlegrounds and raids topped with arena PVP as endgame? Most definitely yes.

Bad attempt at cloning WoW with no features mentioned above (aka SWTOR)? Most definitely not.

They already announced 3-faction PVP, action combat and quest system similar to GW2 hearts, so I don't see where's this WoW clone thing coming from.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Nothing I've heard yet has garnered my interest.  I'm not a big ES fan.  I played through Oblivion but found it disappointing.  I'll eventually play Skyrim and believe I will enjoy it much more.

I'd probably be more interested in TESO if it was made by the Skyrim devs themselves.

Install and download Nehrim. It is free and legal total conversion mod for Obvilion. Totally new and separate game from Oblivion, everything is new there..  It is MUCH better than original Oblivion.   Just it's start in mines is bad everything after is exceptional.

or / and Morrowind + Morrowind Overhaul mod 3.0 is also great and much much better than original Oblivion.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No it sounded like daoc.

It sounds more like your typical modern themepark now.

Instanced dungeons, instanced pvp, raids, multiple shards of each world zone.

Daoc had zero instancing, its not "daoc 2"