Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] RaiderZ: Review In Progress - Part One - Starting Out

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Before offering our final word on RaiderZ, we will be taking our readers on a journey through the game for a few weeks. In this first edition of our RaiderZ Review in Progress, we check out the starting experience. See what we discovered and then leave us your thoughts in the comments. 

"Hunt together or die alone" is the tagline RaiderZ holds, a game which implores players to group together and hunt fantastical creatures or literally, die alone. So, before I jump into my first week in playing this game, I'll give you a bit of background information. Developed by MAIET Entertainment, widely known for the online game Gunz: The Duel, RaiderZ is a free to play action MMORPG. Set in the Kingdom of Rendel, a once prosperous nation, has now become ridden with fierce monsters and it is up to you to claim peace to Rendel.

Read more of George Dimmock's RaiderZ: Review In Progress - Part One - Starting Out.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Any player feedback as to what this game is like and if it's any good?
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Limiting skill use because of the weapon used sounds pretty dumb.  Hope they wake up to that fact.  Soounds very unflexible.
  • nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    Originally posted by Slukjan

Good, but not great from my experience in beta.  Not good enough to take time away from the other games I am playing like GW2 and TSW...The best way to describe it is that it's a grade B version of Tera.

• enesisxlr8enesisxlr8 Member UncommonPosts: 174

For a F2P game its great and as mentioned the game isn't limited at all. These is no need to spend $ at all! The crafting system and loot system is a  nice change. The only down side for the game ( which I hope will change when more people play it ) are being around to form groups for dungeons etc. Also it is a bit of a grind at the higher lvls 32-35. ( However more quests might open up as I get closer to 35 )

Just my thoughts!

8/10

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    gameplay wise , is tera but f2p :P
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Can't put my finger on why, but it's surprisingly good. It's against anything I like (dumbed down system to the core, laughable crafting, the questing could be shown in presentations how to make a linear, on-the-rail quest system), but it's fun. Maybe the combat... or not, since I don't like action combat usually.

So you can imagine my surprise, when I had fun with the game.

I admit it's not a very useful feedback :) I already put about 20-30 hours in it since open beta started, so far got a defender/cleric (like a paladin, plate armour, melee dps/tank, with some heals) and a pure cleric. And still don't know why is the game holding me...

Maybe the bossfights are the best part. :)

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

"grade B version of Tera"

B might be pushing it.  Grade C version maybe.  But this game does remind one of Tera due to the almost exact same combat system and the overall simplicity of everything else.

It has almost the exact same combat system as Tera, with fewer skills, no real perk tweak like Tera's rune things, one race - period, fewer classes (noteably no archer type), similar (lame) enchantment system as Tera, simplistic crafting system, even more simplistic questing than Tera and Tera's questing is ultra simplistic so that's saying something.

One noteable difference in the combat system that will hopefully be fixed/changed.  If you're a caster and you have your reticule over a mob and cast, that spell will land, period - whereas in Tera if a mob moves or something, you miss.  It seems to go against action combat to have ranged abilities hit whether you place them well or not, may as well be tab targeting.

Similar to Tera you feel like zones or whatever you want to call them exist purely for doing quests - there's nothing interesting to see really, nothing there that isn't quest related, nothing to explore.  Just plow thru areas to do hub-based questing.

The game has oddly high sys reqs considering Tera, which uses a slightly dated graphics engine, utterly crushes it for graphics.

The mechanism for building your character is marginally interesting.

The game is oddly fun even with it being simplistic.  Maybe mindless slaughtering of mobs doing kill 7 quests 10 feet from the quest giver is something we need periodically.

And it's free and would seem to not have P2W leanings - although it's still early and their cash shop is nowhere near fully populated or setup yet.

I guess that begs the question, why does RaiderZ have an ungodly amount of gold spammers and reviews in progress when I swear it's still in beta?!

I kind of like the action combat systems of this game and Tera, although I think Tera does it better, and I wish a game like GW2, which has incredibly content and sexy zones to explore and dabble in, had a combat system like this.  GW2 combat is kind of between tab target and stand there and action, but action is so much more involving, even in a simplistic game like RaiderZ.

I also don't care much for the eastern feel and I don't like anime or the squeaky noises character make.  RaiderZ has the obvious eastern styleings.  I could tolerate the easternness of Tera since the female avatars look like supermodels (or high class hookers, depends on your persective I guess).

I'm hoping Neverwinter, also action, also published by RaiderZ's Perfect World, ends up having the slickness of action combat without the lameness of eastern influence and with much slicker content.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• darkheartsdarkhearts Member UncommonPosts: 159

It's awesome for f2p, also compared to terra I like this one more because of crafting.

• enesisxlr8enesisxlr8 Member UncommonPosts: 174

Well if anyone from australia is wanting to play and wants to chit chat to a person in the same time zone feel free to /w enesis Normally play after 7pm. Happy to make you feel welcome to a game with such a diverse community of people. ( that at times can be slightly frustrating and lonely )

U.S East / Diago

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Think of Terra, but fun.

Terra had a good idea, but somehow managed to make the combat incredibly dull.

RaiderZ on other hand meshes the Terra style of stuff with Monster Hunter style of encounters and some unique combat mechanics. The game is filled with gigantic boss encounters from the first levels.  

Freeform-class system also helps(bassically you can learn any skills from the trees of the classes and you can equip two weapons at once, which you can switch in the middle of combat, going from close-tank to ranged caster,for example, within miliseconds of one button push).

There are no item drops - monsters only drop crafting materials and stuff like that, which you then use to create the items you want.(which IMO is not only nice for immersion, but also solves the problems of set-hunting other games would suffer from).

There ARE some problems like abit slower pacing in levels 30 to 40, but for me at least, RaiderZ is bassically what I expected of Terra before I found out what Terra is actually like. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234
    I personally dug the game. It is a very strong F2P title. I wouldn't make it my main MMO, but it is very strong. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ2rhdmKaPk
  • JUANK1986JUANK1986 Member Posts: 1

I Realy love this game, the block style, the maps, and the item farm that always are bored, in this game not happen, the daylis quest are amazing.

Im a Defender lvl 30 and i have to say, I like this game.

there are a litles problems, but in a new game its normal

paz

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    Nothing changed from beta .. so sad.. i'll pass 
  • aromeroaromero Member Posts: 49
    Little problems here and there but this is a pretty good game so far.
  • LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119

Well, played for a while but quit after realizing that its perfect world with updated graphics, most core mechanics are the same, and the feel is the same.

The difficulty of this game is kinda bullshitty, with bosses that are inmune to everything but damage. and the end game will get grindi as hell. The blocking and dodging is fun and it does rely a lot on player skill, wich is a plus (as long as you have no lag).

• ZutchZutch Member UncommonPosts: 62
    this..