Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MWO: Is this beta or release? With Poll

udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
So MechWarrior Online goes "Open Beta" today complete with no more resets of stats.  Everything you earn and all the real world world money you spend in this F2P from this day forward is permanent and won't ever be wiped.  Which begs the question what exactly is the difference between this Open Beta and full release of a game?  Should a developer be able to collect revenue off a game and run it identical to a released product but excuse all the lacking features and issues as "It's beta"?   What say you?

Comments

• ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 272

It's a way to help fund their project, and every company does this now anyway it seems so it doesn't really bother me.  I'm just glad that it means they won't reset stats anymore so we can level up while they finish the large amounts of work that still needs to be done.  And in the meantime I can help support them by buying exp boosters and what not from time to time.

I do see how it rubs people the wrong way, but it's nothing new.  Until they say it's released I trust to believe them that they consider the project unfinished in terms of gameplay and more importantly content.  Which they have also repeated many times.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Worst poll ever. Yes, it is a beta or a finished game
  • RiftstarRiftstar Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Beta.

Playing: MWO
    Waiting For: Star Citizen

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Its an Open Beta Release.

;)

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• MackehMackeh Member Posts: 164

MWO: Is this beta or release?

Yes

NO

LMFAO you will be headhunted by McDonalds asap

• samvenicesamvenice Member UncommonPosts: 153

New poll: does the OP need english grammar classes?

yes / no / wut?

Anyways, nothing new here: there are literally countless f2p games that have been "open beta with no resets and cash shop live".

The beta status allows them to shut down servers whenever they want with the "STFU it's beta" excuse, while at the same time getting some buzz, new influx of players due to no wipe and funding (they can sell out "pre-release deals" on their cash shop bundles).

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Worst poll ever. Yes, it is a beta or a finished game

LMAO no doubt.

Mechwarrior is a good game, if they want to say they are in beta, I'm cool with that.

• BlueMountainBlueMountain Member UncommonPosts: 147

Piranha needs more people testing the core systems to iron out all the bugs, solve all the netcode issues so they can progress on to 24 mech matches and community warfare.

Community warfare, which will be the game element that is most attractive to guilds/Corps, will be crucial to the success of the franchise and it has not even seen the light of day. All we are testing is the core of the game, without which nothing else is possible.

Thus, it is beta.

To dream, perhaps to be.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Its a beta, but nowadays, open beta and release are pretty much the same thing (for free to play games).

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Its a beta...

Poll does not make sense...

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Terrible poll is terrible.
    Its an open beta. Which nowdays for F2P means it is a full release which doesn't quite have all its promised features and is still being tweaked & balanced.

It is a lot of fun though
  • BlueMountainBlueMountain Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Its a beta, but nowadays, open beta and release are pretty much the same thing (for free to play games).

No. Players may well feel that beta is release, but that doesn't make it so. We're only seeing the core of the game. 2/3rds of what the game intended has not been seen by the public.

To dream, perhaps to be.