Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ next!! who want punishing death?

Comments

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    wut... EQ never even had 600k subs, let alone concurrency which they would never give out.  wow guys. fact check time.

they sure did, around PoP-GoD they reached 600k concurrently, you used to be able to see server player count and SoE released figures, whoever made this first graph used those original figures

what's more, SoE developers often said on the forum that their network reached those numbers when they talked about server mergers in relationship to server capacity

it also matches up with the new 10 year video they released where they mention figures

I wish I could find the old site, he had a reference to those numbers, another site took over the numbers, all of those data points were reliable, the only ones that weren't reliable were asian ones since they often gave internet cafe numbers

Do you have any facts to prove 600k was not correct in spite of developers mentioning it?

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i want this game to be unforgiving like eq was as well, i don't care how many subs there are as long as my server is full.

not everyone likes that style of MMO but there are plenty of other games that are easy to play already.

for me EQ was the most rewarding MMORPG i have played to date.

the harsh death penalties and harshness of the game is the reason why.

when you accomplished something or got the item you were hunting hours (or sometime even days or weeks straight) for, it was very rewarding.

unlike most newer MMO's where getting upgrades is never a huge deal and easy to do.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Funny you should quote that graph as a source.  In 2009 - 2010 EQ had about 100k.  On that same site on another chart (the next higher population graph with WoW and Runescape) Lineage comes in just under a million at around 950k.  It used to be much higher.  People playing outside the west actually count.

Read my post, like I said before, that is not the original post, the person who made the first few years of that graph is not the same person who made the numbers post 2009, someone took over those numbers when he stopped doing it, the original owner only referenced if he was reasonable sure the numbers are correct.

In 2009 SoE didn't release subscription numbers anymore, nor did developers talk about numbers anymore, I assume because they weren't allowed anymore.

Numbers from Asia, were often NOT correct, because of the issues with internet cafes which means you're unable to detect who the person is, it could be one person, it could be multiple people playing, internet cafe owned the game and accounts were often free as is the case in Asia usually, or owned by the cafe.

(that's also why I don't take those numbers from Lineage serious, anyone could run into a cafe without paying for an account and hop onto a PC and play any game, including Lineage, internet cafe bought the games, not the players like in the West, does trying a game for 5 minutes make them a lineage player?)

Does that clear things up now? Anyway, I'm not going to explain it any further because I don't want to sidetrack the theard.

Don't want to believe EQ had 600k players even though developers said so then don't believe it, if that makes you happy more power to you, I really don't care either way.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Theocritus
          I like how EQ handled death in the old days....IT made you respect what was going on around you, and you had to learn how to play (often with others) to stay alive......I'm just not sure if 13 years later the player base would be able to handle it......I jsut dont see todays communities taking time to go help other players like they did with corpse runs in old EQ.

I love the old days in EQ with the corpse runs, Was good risk vs reward, better loot/xp came from mobs deeper in the zone, but it was a little risker often you would test a group at a closer camp and if you handled that fine you would go deeper. Also helped the community aswell cause necros could summon your corpse, clerics,pallies,necros could rezz it for Xp return, and rogues stealth also helped alot in open zones they could drag your corpse to you and wizards and druids had evac spell which would be handy when things got tuff.

Edit: forgot to mention about soul binding from other players aswell. So you respawn in the area you were hunting.

• 0Neo00Neo0 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Totally agree bring back the death penalty amongst other things.
    A mix of EQ and Vanguard I cant wait,just hurry up all ready.
    Games today are a joke,Sadly I caved in and purchased guildwars 2 against my better judgment,lasted 3 weeks and I am bored with it already,back to vanguard again till something better comes out.
  • JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519

What people always seem to forget about EQ 1 is the lack of overall deaths compared to pretty much every other game out there. You can allow for a big penalty if you're not dying every 5 seconds like WoW. In Classic EQ 1 you could go a whole week without dying once if you're very careful and have good judgement.

So in short, yes I want xp penalties but i also want smart players to die ALOT less like, AKA no mobs with +300% movement speed or other nonsense that EQ1 never had.

• RandomDownRandomDown Member UncommonPosts: 145

People say they want death penalties because there is no reason to bother trying to survive. Why isn't the incentive doing it well on the first try or not giving up mid fight? So what if you don't lose experience after you die or undergo significant item decay? I played EQ (a troll, but a warrior, so that helped offset the racial penalty) on release and loved Vanguard and hated how much they reduced the repair prices shortly after release (but that was the least of its issues). 

What you're saying is its not worth the effort unless you're punished for not making the effort. I played TOR, WoW, RIft and all that jazz and even if dying had no noticeable penalty it still didn't mean giving up on a boss fight until the last man is down. The fact that you aren't willing to try because there is no penalty is worse than there not being a penalty at all. 

Offtopic but the Equipment Expertise was one of the greatest ideas in Vanguard. So sad it got removed too.

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    I think harsher death penalties are a good thing, but they shouldn't be too hard. They're good because when someone goes hunting for some great gear in a hard area, the risk vs. reward becomes more balanced. Nowadays you plug into a raid group, enter the raid, get rewards with no risk at all. What longevity? If you try to get the good gear, fail on the first attempt, but succeed on the second, you get a nice reward (depending on the harshness of the penalty of course). That's why things like % of xp gained lost works combined with leveling curves. It's great in the earlier levels, when you're new to the game.

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

What people always seem to forget about EQ 1 is the lack of overall deaths compared to pretty much every other game out there. You can allow for a big penalty if you're not dying every 5 seconds like WoW. In Classic EQ 1 you could go a whole week without dying once if you're very careful and have good judgement.

So in short, yes I want xp penalties but i also want smart players to die ALOT less like, AKA no mobs with +300% movement speed or other nonsense that EQ1 never had.

Think my record was about 2 and ahalf months no deaths then i died 4 times in the same night in a new zone ive never been to : ) was fun adventuring into that zone though worth the deaths : )

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by augustgrace

Well over a decade ago when I was playing UO, I would have agreed with you on punishing death.  But then I had no real responsibilities, plenty of free time, the arrogance of youth, and there weren't many alternatives to compare UO to.  

Older now, with work, a family and a house to take care of, my gaming time is precious and I have no desire to spend that time doing corpse runs or earning back lost gear/exp.  

I even tried going back to UO a couple years ago, and the same activities and penalties I enjoyed years ago, just felt like work.  These days I want to have fun during my gaming sessions.  I don't want to spend my time polishing my e-peen or pursuing grindy activities.

This person is what game developers are listening to that's why we have so many casual WoW clones flooding the MMO world.

Sad world indeed.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Well over a decade ago when I was playing UO, I would have agreed with you on punishing death.  But then I had no real responsibilities, plenty of free time, the arrogance of youth, and there weren't many alternatives to compare UO to.  

Older now, with work, a family and a house to take care of, my gaming time is precious and I have no desire to spend that time doing corpse runs or earning back lost gear/exp.  

I even tried going back to UO a couple years ago, and the same activities and penalties I enjoyed years ago, just felt like work.  These days I want to have fun during my gaming sessions.  I don't want to spend my time polishing my e-peen or pursuing grindy activities.

This person is what game developers are listening to that's why we have so many casual WoW clones flooding the MMO world.

Sad world indeed.

Doesn't matter because he can play on a normal rule server. All the people saying no have a choice to avoid the hardcore rule server. 

Smed knows that many of us who played EQ for years will be happy to go back to harsher rules. I play Vanguard which has quite a harsh death penalty compared to the likes  of GW2 and other kiddy MMOs.

You lose XP and you have a tomb that you can go and collect. In a way you can down level even though the level you are stays the same you still have to make up that xp again.

Your not hit as hard as EQ but you rewally don't want to die.

There really wont be an issue.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

Sad world indeed.

For someone who is die hard GW2 fan your whole post reeks of irony. You should be the last person to point fingers at any casual players in a topic called 'who wants punishing deaths'.

The day you stop supporting and playing 'casual heaven' games like GW2, your words will have some weight.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

Sad world indeed.

GW2 fan flaming a casual player for not wanting 'punishing death penalities'? 

/faceplam

Now i have seen everything that is to be seen on these forums. Oh God...lol

Originally posted by halflife25

Sad world indeed.

For someone who is die hard GW2 fan your whole post reeks of irony. You should be the last person to point fingers at any casual players in a topic called 'who wants punishing deaths'.

The day you stop supporting and playing 'casual heaven' games like GW2, your words will have some weight.

+1

Originally posted by lifeordinary

Sad world indeed.

GW2 fan flaming a casual player for not wanting 'punishing death penalities'? 

/faceplam

Now i have seen everything that is to be seen on these forums. Oh God...lol

The problem i'm seeing is some of these die hard fans are forgetting what they have been saying for the last 2 months.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by madazz

I miss being punished

There's just so much...I...can't touch this.  Next topic!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Well if death will be punishing in EQNext you can be sure that will be 'punish relief' in cash shop sooner or later.

Anyway I just got here to read a bit abut people reaction to this idea. Personally don't care much one way or another other than what effect on other mmorpg's EQNext features might have as I won't be playing EXNext myself cause of busiess model.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

im gonna be honest in that if they choose a random "rule" for te sake of a rule, and ignore the lore of the game and provide absolutely no depth around the system (and this goes for all systems) then they are wasting their time.

most people dont realize it but you create depth by expanding on base systems to provide lots of flexibility and options.

dont make rules for the sake of having them. Make them tie into the lore.

• pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

bring back the corpse run says I!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Corpse runs in UO were a lot of fun, a big rush of excitement - in PvE when I was playing with friends.

They were annoying and overly harsh playing solo, so I'd just avoid any difficult areas (dungeons mostly) unless I was playing with friends.

In PvP, well you'd just make sure to not wear anything you didn't want to lose.

So for a good PvP session in Felucca I'd have to first make or purchase a bunch of spare sets of armor / weapons.

I guess that "prep" was cool and fun at the time, but would I get the same enjoyment out of it now?

Probably not.

I am very strongly against any kind of XP penalties for death though. It's like kicking you when you're down.

XP penalty + corpse run is masochism.

Kind of an interesting logic problem though -

In a game with corpse runs and item loss on death, the loot can't matter too much as it's far too punishing for people to permanently lose something they've worked so hard for.

This is why it "worked" in UO - none of the gear was really all that special.

But if the loot is not all that special, why make it drop in the first place if it's so easily replaced? Not like it's worth much to the person who steals it, and not like it's hard to replace in a PvE death.

So it's kind of pointless IMO from a design perspective.

Only design that makes sense is to have loot loss / corpse runs AND make the gear actually worth something so it's actually meaningful as a penalty - but in todays day and age it's just far, far too harsh a system to ever work in a game that wants to retain more than 10-25k players.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Sounds like another epic fail MMORPG for the future.
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Sad world indeed.

i enjoy Gw2 for the simple reason that GW2 feels fresh and new compare to the rest of the lot.

And yes I would have more death penelty in GW2 aswell so people will group up more often.

Would It thelp that I also play EVE from time to time since 2003 and doing PVP on a regular basis? ( on EVE break atm)

One more thing can you please direct me to a game that is a AAA and has a deep crafting,great PVE,awesome PVP, huge world, great graphics, housing with decoration, smart AI mobs,living world fantasy MMO?

And No don't bother posting MO or Darkfall or Vanguard for that matter, played all three of them liked VG the most but lacked PVP.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

Plane of Hate raid corpse run........the horror.

But I would do it all over again.

Sad world indeed.

i enjoy Gw2 for the simple reason that GW2 feels fresh and new compare to the rest of the lot.

And yes I would have more death penelty in GW2 aswell so people will group up more often.

Would It thelp that I also play EVE from time to time since 2003 and doing PVP on a regular basis? ( on EVE break atm)

One more thing can you please direct me to a game that is a AAA and has a deep crafting,great PVE,awesome PVP, huge world, great graphics, housing with decoration, smart AI mobs,living world fantasy MMO?

And No don't bother posting MO or Darkfall or Vanguard for that matter, played all three of them liked VG the most but lacked PVP.

You must of come late to Vanguard then because it did have FFA PvP  but it was always a PVE game anyway. I've played since beta to this day.

As for EQ which has also 90% been about PVE a hardcore server will be enough for the old vets.

Originally posted by BadSpock

Corpse runs in UO were a lot of fun, a big rush of excitement - in PvE when I was playing with friends.

They were annoying and overly harsh playing solo, so I'd just avoid any difficult areas (dungeons mostly) unless I was playing with friends.

In PvP, well you'd just make sure to not wear anything you didn't want to lose.

So for a good PvP session in Felucca I'd have to first make or purchase a bunch of spare sets of armor / weapons.

I guess that "prep" was cool and fun at the time, but would I get the same enjoyment out of it now?

Probably not.

I am very strongly against any kind of XP penalties for death though. It's like kicking you when you're down.

XP penalty + corpse run is masochism.

Kind of an interesting logic problem though -

In a game with corpse runs and item loss on death, the loot can't matter too much as it's far too punishing for people to permanently lose something they've worked so hard for.

This is why it "worked" in UO - none of the gear was really all that special.

But if the loot is not all that special, why make it drop in the first place if it's so easily replaced? Not like it's worth much to the person who steals it, and not like it's hard to replace in a PvE death.

So it's kind of pointless IMO from a design perspective.

Only design that makes sense is to have loot loss / corpse runs AND make the gear actually worth something so it's actually meaningful as a penalty - but in todays day and age it's just far, far too harsh a system to ever work in a game that wants to retain more than 10-25k players.

No one is talking about item looting, think you are talking more about PVP. We are talking about PVE xp lost and corpse runs that was one of  the things that most of us vets liiked.

Anyway pointless or not you wont have to choose that type of server if smed does give us a hardcore EQ type server.