Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Desperately LF a challenge skill required game

e8ghtbitze8ghtbitz Member Posts: 4

It's 3am est, just got internet back here in NY after the hurricane.

I just realized I'm starving for a new mmo,  my only problem is how everything is just a frankenstien clone of previous successful games.  

I'll keep this short and to the point I guess...I'm looking for a game that requires real skill.  I want to target my own enemy's, none of that tab crap,  I want real time combat ,  I want a sense of accomplishment after a grind,  and I want to have non gear based pvp matches or just less of gear advantage.... your better off just comparing numbers if your going to base crap off gear and end it early insead of duking out an immpossible fight.

I want a challenge and to be in total control of the battle with little to no AI support or animations.  Honestly I doubt this even exists,  I work like 90 hours a week so I'm embarissingly far behind on the "new" of the internet. I'm waiting on this fabled Elder Scrolls Online hoping it will satisfy my crave,  but I found skyrim to be far to easy and clunky...as in just violently swing your daedric gear and powercharge into everything moving....darksouls has a interesting gear combat thing going on for a little while before you realize that battle means trying to roll behind your oppenent for the next 15 minutes until somebody gets poked too much in the back.  

I'll honestly try anything that has a seemingly good combat system and population and I'm open to all opinions,  if you just read through all that I appreciate you giving it the time...I'm sure there are a ton of posts out there and I'm that asshole who didn't read through them,  I'm just a tired and stressed  21 year old electrician who wants to play a game not endorsed by autoattacking pandas.

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

DCUO has a nice combat system. I hear Tera does as well.

Non gear-based PvP might be an issue, but DCUO does have Legends PvP.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Guild Wars 2 has great non-gear-based PvP, but it's not gear based, anyway, so there's little to no grind, except for aesthetic rewards. It also has tab targeting, but you still can dodge things by moving out of their way, so tab targeting is just a replacement for crosshairs in ranged combat and you can melee just fine without targeting anything.

The downside is that the majority of its PvE content is a bit too easy IMO and it's still only a few onths old, so it has quite a few bugs.

Unfortunately, I can't think of another MMORPG without gear grind in PvP.

As mentioned above, TERA and DCUO have nice combat, too. I'd recommend DCUO over TERA just because TERA is a craptastic game otherwise. It's like they made the combat and forgot about everything else.

Guild Wars 1 has some great features, but it's very tab-targeting-based and a bit slow, so I don't think you'd like it.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

Well, the only game I ever played that would partially fit this is Monster Hunter. Sadly it's not an MMO.

From MMOs, I suppose the closest you can get would be guild wars 1.

Also you could possibly try some DOTA game. Smite is quite interesting in its concept.

• XoshuaXoshua Member Posts: 127
    Some people in here were suggesting the opposite of what OP asked for.  Darkfall: Unholy wars is your answer.  It will be out on the 20th of this month.  It's darkfall revamped.

Time to fix this genre.

• e8ghtbitze8ghtbitz Member Posts: 4

Is legends pvp like an arena type thing?  I actually still think I have the beta for DCUO on my ps3 still lol, vaguely remember playing it.

I'd deff consider guild wars 2.  And if the tab thing exists and the combat is realtime I can overlook  it.  As for the whole gear trend I find it pretty lame, I wish they would make it sever limited or just that hard to get it.  

Thanks for responding guys

Monster hunter was so awesome, and my friend from one of my classes was talking about darkfall, I didn't know it was being remade or revamped.  sweeeeet
  • DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189
    PlanetSide 2?
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Legends PvP in DCUO lets you control one of the famous superheroes (like Harley Quinn) with a predetermined build. It's not gear based, but you can't customize your character.

In GW2, every attack hits an area in the world. So, for example, a melee swing damages everything in front of your character and an arrow damages the first thing it hits. So, if you tab target enemy X and shoot it with your bow and enemy Y runs in front of X, you'll hit Y. If X takes cover behind a wall or dodges, you won't hit anything.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Not really an MMO, but if you want challenge and skill-based combat, get Dark Souls.
    Only if it wasnt such a linear game,  Elderscrolls and the dark souls series needs to make a pc love child.