Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is PS2 MMORPG?

kravivykravivy Member Posts: 3
I think it isn't MMORPG,because I can't trade in the game.

Comments

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

I didn't play the first one, and don't know much about it... 

The one feature that is required for me to consider a game a true MMORPG is a persistant world.  Diablo 3 isn't an MMORPG because the game world is generated randomly each time you start.  Planetside 2 seems like it has maps like Battlefield style games and they restart after one side wins or X time passes.  That really isn't MMORPG in my book.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

its a mmofps style or something but its not really an mmo from what i have seen. 

the only mmo aspect of it, is the progression system where you spec out weapon trees or something. other then that its a typical fps game

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Ichmen

its a mmofps style or something but its not really an mmo from what i have seen. 

the only mmo aspect of it, is the progression system where you spec out weapon trees or something. other then that its a typical fps game

not really a mmorpg. It is certainly an mmo. I wouldn't call it an rpg at all, only in the most general sense.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

umm i called it a mmoFPS. which is basicly a FPS with level progression. you typically have to "grind" xp from gun battles to earn xp to unlock next grade of gun. like playing CS1.6 and only being allowed to use the mac 10 until you earn enough xp to unlock the ak47 or whatever.

its typically how fps games do mmo style game play. as the quests in fps are stupid stuff like knife 9 people to earn this free weapon or fancy ingame tag name

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's a mmo

It's not a rpg, as such, you don't really level, but you earn accreditations over time.

It has a fully persistent world with zero instancing and no timed matches

It's is all pvp, no pve at all.

It's basicly the rvr end game of daoc, but as a fps with vehicles and aircraft and such.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's nothing like counterstrike or cod or bf. It takes place in a large full persistent world. It's not a lobby into a series of mini games.
  • WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Ichmen

You are wrong it is not an RPG it is indeed an MMO.

MMO stands for Massivly Multiplayer Online - 1000 a side per continant 3 sides of 1000 so 3000 per zone is classed as massive.

Then 3 continants on release more to come so that is 9000 cap.

Some other MMORPG's have issues holding 3000 on a map.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

MMOFPS just like Planetside 1 and World War II online were.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Woopin

Some other MMORPG's have issues holding 3000 on a map.

There are lots of MMORPGs that has trouble with that much, SWTOR can't handle more than 80 (yet goes to 300 before a new instance is created), City of Heroes starts creating instances after 60 players in the zone.

I think it's mostly due to engine limitations, if SOE can pull it off like they did with PS1 then big fights will be epic. I remember participating 300+ man fights in late beta of PS1.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

its a MMOFPS..

its not an rpg your not really playing a role other than generic grunt in a massive war.. i guess it has RPG like elements with the character progression.. but no myself i would class this as an MMOFPS.. and some of the big battles are epic :)

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It's a mmo

It's not a rpg, as such, you don't really level, but you earn accreditations over time.

It has a fully persistent world with zero instancing and no timed matches

It's is all pvp, no pve at all.

It's basicly the rvr end game of daoc, but as a fps with vehicles and aircraft and such.

i thought rpg meant role playing game.  not levels.  couldnt someone role play a gun toting soldier in this?