Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphically speaking which game is best (opinion poll)

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
          I'm definitely a gameplay>graphics person, but of the MMOs I have played Planet Calypso had by far the best graphics.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Voted GW2.

What's the point of this poll? Of course, a game which was released 2 months ago will look prettier than MMOs which were released 4-9 years ago.

It's like asking what's more graphically appealing? Call of Duty Black Ops 2 or Half Life 1?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by Izik
    Originally posted by Ridelynn   Originally posted by Izik Graphically TSW wins hands down.  It's the only mmo (and game) in the world that utilizes the new TXAA anti-aliasing technique, among other things (http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-secret-world-txaa).  You're delusional if you think any other game comes close to the technical prowess TSW displays. TERA also has an incredibly strong graphical engine.   Aesthetically speaking, that's your opinion. A lot of people love GW2 aethsetically - but it does not mean the game has "good graphics". People need to realize the difference between apples and oranges in this case.
      TXAA - meh. I think Shader-based AA is nice (TXAA is MSAA-based, not shader based), but to call a game "More advanced" because it uses one form of AA that is heavily marketed by one video card manufacturer - nah. I haven't seen TSW in action - it may very well be worthy of the title, but just on the basis of it using a buzzword-loaded AA type promoted by one video card manufacturer that likely got paid to include it - nope.
    If you've never seen TSW in action, how can you prefer one AA over another? 

It's not just marketing rhetoric either; TXAA looks amazing if you have the rig to run it.

AA is AA, no matter how you get there. The whole idea is to help eliminate the "stairstep" effect that is introduced by digitization - we have to represent our pictures via pixels on our output devices (well, we don't ~have~ to, but there are very, very few vector-based output devices available to us, and none that I can think of that you can game on). Since we have the limitation of dealing with pixels, we are going to have "jaggies" when we have lines that have some angle compared to the pixel orientation of the device.

SSAA is probably still superior graphics-wise. It's basically the "brute force" method of AA, and such it's extremely expensive performance-wise. TXAA may compete well, but it's just one technology - Antialiasing. There are 100 different ways to skin a cat, but in the end, you still end up with a hairless cat - so long as you "have the rig to run it" who cares how you get there. And the fact that TXAA is only supported by and promoted by nVidia, only in their 600 series, and really only a feature in a handful of games - makes it fairly irrelevant to me in half of the computers I game on with AMD cards, and none of the nVidia products I have.

• IzikIzik Member Posts: 111
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Voted GW2.

What's the point of this poll? Of course, a game which was released 2 months ago will look prettier than MMOs which were released 4-9 years ago.

It's like asking what's more graphically appealing? Call of Duty Black Ops 2 or Half Life 1?

/facepalm

So I guess Crysis (released in 2007), arguably the best looking game of all time, doesn't look as good as say...Halo 4? Your logic is flawed, dude.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Originally posted by Izik Graphically TSW wins hands down.  It's the only mmo (and game) in the world that utilizes the new TXAA anti-aliasing technique, among other things (http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-secret-world-txaa).  You're delusional if you think any other game comes close to the technical prowess TSW displays. TERA also has an incredibly strong graphical engine.   Aesthetically speaking, that's your opinion. A lot of people love GW2 aethsetically - but it does not mean the game has "good graphics". People need to realize the difference between apples and oranges in this case.
      TXAA - meh. I think Shader-based AA is nice (TXAA is MSAA-based, not shader based), but to call a game "More advanced" because it uses one form of AA that is heavily marketed by one video card manufacturer - nah. I haven't seen TSW in action - it may very well be worthy of the title, but just on the basis of it using a buzzword-loaded AA type promoted by one video card manufacturer that likely got paid to include it - nope.

It's not just marketing rhetoric either; TXAA looks amazing if you have the rig to run it.

AA is AA, no matter how you get there. The whole idea is to help eliminate the "stairstep" effect that is introduced by digitization - we have to represent our pictures via pixels on our output devices (well, we don't ~have~ to, but there are very, very few vector-based output devices available to us, and none that I can think of that you can game on). Since we have the limitation of dealing with pixels, we are going to have "jaggies" when we have lines that have some angle compared to the pixel orientation of the device.

SSAA is probably still superior graphics-wise. It's basically the "brute force" method of AA, and such it's extremely expensive performance-wise. TXAA may compete well, but it's just one technology - Antialiasing. There are 100 different ways to skin a cat, but in the end, you still end up with a hairless cat - so long as you "have the rig to run it" who cares how you get there. And the fact that TXAA is only supported by and promoted by nVidia, only in their 600 series, and really only a feature in a handful of games - makes it fairly irrelevant to me in half of the computers I game on with AMD cards, and none of the nVidia products I have.

It's not just about AA. TSW has full tesselation aswell all in DX11. Tesselation makes every pebble, every brick and even clothing 3 deminsional, where as other games have pictures of bricks and such. 

The graphics is TSW strongest asset more so than story or whatever else. It's so far ahead of the current curve the game wont need a graphics update for the forseable future. This one thing that bodes well for TSW staying around awhile. 

Heck take the free trial and check it out.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Originally posted by Izik Graphically TSW wins hands down.  It's the only mmo (and game) in the world that utilizes the new TXAA anti-aliasing technique, among other things (http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-secret-world-txaa).  You're delusional if you think any other game comes close to the technical prowess TSW displays. TERA also has an incredibly strong graphical engine.   Aesthetically speaking, that's your opinion. A lot of people love GW2 aethsetically - but it does not mean the game has "good graphics". People need to realize the difference between apples and oranges in this case.

Ok, you still didn't say anything because you admitted it's "irrelevant" to you due to the fact your gpu doesn't support it.

The topic is what is the best mmo graphically. Enabling all of the tech (yes, including TXAA) inside TSW easily makes it the best. You can have your opinions about TXAA, but the fact is TSW is the only mmo recently that has been pushing the boundaries in graphical technology. Whereas you have games like GW2 that are still running DX9, and yet have "amazing graphics" to untrained eyes.

Originally posted by bcbully

It's not just about AA. TSW has full tesselation aswell all in DX11. Tesselation makes every pebble, every brick and even clothing 3 deminsional, where as other games have pictures of bricks and such. 

The graphics is TSW strongest asset more so than story or whatever else. It's so far ahead of the current curve the game wont need a graphics update for the forseable future. This one thing that bodes well for TSW staying around awhile. 

Heck take the free trial and check it out.

Exactly. Well said.

I don't even play TSW, but it is definitely worth dl'ing the free trial and checking out the graphics.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Was hard to pick between GW2 and Tera, both beautiful. 

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

What? No poll option for 8bit mmo?

I think GW2 has the best landscape and artistic quality, while I think TERA is ahead in character modelling.  Aion has some pretty fantastic character modelling as well and its not quite so plastic-looking like TERA's is.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    GW2 is the best from what I have seen. I haven't seen all mmos out there, but imo it has one of the best combination of technical features and style. A lot of the things look really fantastic.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    right now, TERA, GW2 and FFXIV are the best looking mmos in my opinion (in no particular order to me). I love the visuals in all three of them, each with its own style.

• PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267

TSW.

TERA looks so fake and I despise asian art styles.

• EntiochEntioch Member Posts: 49

From a purely techinical standpoint? Tera.

From an artistic standpoint? GW2.

Overall though i'd give it to GW2.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Txaa is just a bit more advanced version of nvidias fxaa or amds mlaa. It's post processing blur aa.

Msaa is more taxing, but looks better if your pc can handle it.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I'm surprised so few people voted Rift..

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Rift looks like warhammer, but with better particle effects and worse artwork / character models.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Rift looks like warhammer, but with better particle effects and worse artwork / character models.

Graphic styles might be similar, even down to the fonts they use.. by graphical quality?  No idea how you can say that.  Especially regarding character models.

Have you compared gameplay videos for both games?  Sometimes perception can be off, when going on memory alone.

Personally, I was tempted to go with GW2, but they made the terrain so blocky for some reason.  Performance, I guess?  Really brings it down, despite the incredible art direction, IMHO.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by timeraider

i voted for gw2 because they are going for realism more then WoW..

Those are...the only two you considered?

Brings up a side point op--not many people are qualified to take your poll (= evaluated every game on that list).  Or even, you know, more than a couple.

Unfortunately I am.  Sort of a sad comment. . overall I voted for LOTRO though.  Not so much for the whole game but for a few areas that just blew me away.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I vote for GW2 because of the overall style and polish. AOC facial features are poorly done although the environments are fantastic to look at. TSW is mediocre and has poor animation and VG character models are just awful and has aged badly. Rift is fairly good but lacks finesse. WoW is chunky and has very little detail, while EVE is just... EVE. I haven't played around with others that have been mentioned enough to give a proper judgement.

• HaurusHaurus Member UncommonPosts: 18

Entropia Universe.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by QSatu

Ff 14 overall best.

GW2 in variety. It feels like on 1 map there are more assets and textures than is some whole games.

FF14 is gorgeous, for sure.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Vhaln

I've played both games, at the same time.

Rift uses warhammers engine. They both use the same version of game bryo. War did some work after release to make it perform better with crowds. Rift did some work pre release to improve particles and post processing.

Rift looks better technically, e.g. the spell effects with the better particle system.

Landscape and character model wise they are no different in terms of how many polygons they use etc..

But warhammer has better art direction in my opinion, stuff just looks cooler, rift is well a bit bland and generic.

Like I said rift has better effects, war has better artwork.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

TSW and it's not very close.

Edit:  It appears people like cartoon fantasy games more than realistic and thus the poll and poster results.

2nd Edit:  Archeage looks to be the best of the cartoon fantasy bunch.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    FFXIV.  Looks even better in the Reborn screens and vids.  I think I would have to vote for any game using the Cryengine 3 too.  ArcheAge and so forth, even though they aren't out yet, they look phenomenal.
  • PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Originally posted by Mardukk

TSW and it's not very close.

Edit:  It appears people like cartoon fantasy games more than realistic and thus the poll and poster results.

2nd Edit:  Archeage looks to be the best of the cartoon fantasy bunch.

It's definitely TSW - the character models could certainly be a bit better but the environments and lighting are 2nd to none. Although a big reason the character models may look a little lacking is due to the fact that everything else looks so flawless.