Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphically speaking which game is best (opinion poll)

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Since Archeage is not out yet, I'd refrain from passing judgement before it launches.

High expectations on GW2 part for example set the way for a minor disappointment at launch. The heavy use of particles in a boss fight is extremely unappealing, for example.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by bcbully

You messed up not adding TSW... TSW is the most graphically advanced game on the market. DX11, with full tessellation, backed by Nvidia.

On the technical side of things it can not be argued. TSW has the best graphics.

There could be all sorts of awesome technical feats of uberness in TSW, but it just does not look as good as GW2 or TERA on my screen, and that's all that matters imo.

That's why he said, "on the technical side of things".

But people are talking here about how good these games look image

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    WoW, because I don't get bored with those graphics. Some other games look better when you see them for the first time, but if you play hundreds of hours they start to get boring faster than WoW's.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Well, both the thread title and the OP specifically mention graphics and not aesthetics. It is possible that the OP can't tell the difference, but that's what he asked for.

Take for instance the post above. That guy clearly can't tell the difference.

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    TSW by a mile.  Left off your poll making the poll a joke imo.

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

You messed up not adding TSW... TSW is the most graphically advanced game on the market. DX11, with full tessellation, backed by Nvidia.

On the technical side of things it can not be argued. TSW has the best graphics.

There could be all sorts of awesome technical feats of uberness in TSW, but it just does not look as good as GW2 or TERA on my screen, and that's all that matters imo.

Apparently, that is not the case. Try reading the thread. image

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Graphically...not aesthetically. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oK8UTRgvJU

Just /facepalm at the results so far. Anyways, enjoy the vid.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    TSW.  'Nuff said.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Tera has a great artystyle imho and great monster design but for me you need great aesthetics and graphics to make a great looking game.. and for me GW2 blows TERA away in aesthetics...

Agree with you on that :)

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by Ripostethis
    Graphically speaking. Final Fantasy 14 is probably the best imo. When EQ2 first came out it was insanely good, but is dated now, still good on maximum though.

You know, when EQ2 came out they said the graphics engine was so advanced, and the graphics were so great blah blah. I ran them on near full quality back then and I never thought anything special about them. They said it ran poorly because it was designed for the future (ie; to last). Yet, when PC's caught up and were able to run the graphic engine full tilt most realized that it never was that good. Maybe if a PC could of actually run it back then it would of been insanely good for a few months until other games came out and destroyed it, but in my opinion (along with tons of others), EQ2 was never great graphically.

FF14 is pretty good too. GW2 is exceptionally overrated. Looking at it from a technical standpoint the graphics are boring and dated. Looking at it from a design/aesthetic perspective, I think GW2 has great graphics.

For me, I voted Tera. You may not like the style, but in my opinion the graphics are the absolute best I have seen so far, with TSW coming up close (TSW due to aesthetics mostly).

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

OP's words: "However for graphics what is the best looking  game around  graphically speaking in your opinion?" - That is the question in the very first post, go check it out bud.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

OP's words: "However for graphics what is the best looking  game around  graphically speaking in your opinion?" - That is the question in the very first post, go check it out bud.

Yes, and everyone followed the OP's request.

Try reading the entire thread, bud.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

I will rank the games in terms of graphics I have played so far:

1. TERA

2. GW2

3. Aion/AoC

99. WoW

I honestly do not think that GW2 is on the same level as TERA. The graphics technology together with highly detailed environments and gorgeous characters make TERA a winner. At certain areas I just had to stop and look at the scenery in awe. After playing TERA GW2 felt rather average.

I am wondering if those GW2 voters have actually ever played any of the other titles?

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    TERA, but GW2 gets an honorable mention.

Joined - July 2004

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    In terms of Realistic Graphics? TSW and AoC hands down. In terms of artistical preference? Rift and GW2.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Graphically speaking it's TERA hands down for me... while aesthetics wise GW2 and TERA are battling it out.

This is an album of some of my favorite screenshots from TERA, took them all myself many months ago.

http://imgur.com/a/0naQq#0

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Between FFXIV (not sure how 2.0 will be, 1.0 graphics were nice, just sluggish) and Eve (which has continually evolved their graphics engine and has always looked amazing).

I'd give Vindictus a honorable mention as well, they make the Source engine look very good, and the physics they use on all the various objects on a map really add to the ambiance and make the maps come alive (even though physics isn't directly tied to graphics) - it's miles ahead of what most MMOs use for "Interacting with the environment", and makes a stunning impact visually.

I really like the artistic style of GW2 (especially the watercolor images), but I don't think the engine is all that spectacular - I just think the artists did an exceptional job with their texturing and the programmer's use of shaders to accomplish the various effects. So I'd give GW2 a honorable mention as well on this basis.

TERA does very well with the Unreal engine, but honestly, it felt more or less like an updated version of Aion (which originally ran on CryEngine, not sure if the "new" 2.5 engine does or not) with better textures. That could be because they have similar artistic styles though and I have trouble differentiating. TERA deserves a nod (and perhaps the new Aion engine as well, the old engine had horrible textures though, and I've not seen the new engine in action).

WoW has managed to stay relevant, but only barely. They at least have a DX11 client. The style is still pretty "Crayola" but hey, it runs on nearly every computer out there, so it can't be too advanced.

LOTRO and AoC were good a few years ago, but I haven't really seen them do much graphically speaking since.

RIFT I didn't really see much to differentiate itself. I found the style to be too similar to WAR, and the game to like WoW to really differentiate itself. Some people like it, but graphically, I didn't see much to distinguish it.

EQ2 was overly ambitious when it came out, and failed to evolve with changing hardware - as such it looks (and performs) much the same that it did when it launched back in 04.

SWTOR is awful, in my opinion. I don't care for the engine or the style.

Originally posted by madazz
    Originally posted by Ripostethis Graphically speaking. Final Fantasy 14 is probably the best imo. When EQ2 first came out it was insanely good, but is dated now, still good on maximum though.
    You know, when EQ2 came out they said the graphics engine was so advanced, and the graphics were so great blah blah. I ran them on near full quality back then and I never thought anything special about them. They said it ran poorly because it was designed for the future (ie; to last). Yet, when PC's caught up and were able to run the graphic engine full tilt most realized that it never was that good. Maybe if a PC could of actually run it back then it would of been insanely good for a few months until other games came out and destroyed it, but in my opinion (along with tons of others), EQ2 was never great graphically.

Well, the part about it being "designed for the future" and such is all true: it was just designed in a day when single-core CPU's were dominant, and everyone just assumed that clock speeds would keep going up. No one at SoE imagined we'd get stuck around 3-4GHz, and the EQ2 engine was written to really perform on a single-core CPU running around 7-10GHz.

THen, of course, CPU speeds stalled, and everyone started to add more cores to get more speed. EQ2 can't really do much with "more cores", even after a supposed patch back in late 2008 to support multicore.

It was just SoE betting on the wrong horse with regard to what "The Future" was going to be.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Of the list, I have only played 6 of the 9 listed, so my vote for GW2 is not "well formed".

WoW was the worst, in my opinion. When I first bought WoW, I uninstalled quickly because of the graphics. They did not allow me to use my "suspension of disbelief" at all. I kept waiting for the buildings to fall over or implode! lol This is the game that defines "cartoony graphics" for me.

I find GW2's graphics very well done. It is a feast for the eyes :)

City of Heroes was a good game for graphics, though sometimes the hero models looked a little "off" somewhow. I came to it from EQ and found myself amazed at swaying trees. It threw me off seeing them sway like that until I got used to it :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• IzikIzik Member Posts: 111

Graphically TSW wins hands down.  It's the only mmo (and game) in the world that utilizes the new TXAA anti-aliasing technique, among other things (http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-secret-world-txaa).  You're delusional if you think any other game comes close to the technical prowess TSW displays. TERA also has an incredibly strong graphical engine.

Aesthetically speaking, that's your opinion. A lot of people love GW2 aethsetically - but it does not mean the game has "good graphics". People need to realize the difference between apples and oranges in this case.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Txaa is nothing special. It's a cut down version of aa, like the blurry aa you get with console games.

Where it is impressive is with stuff like tesselation, particle effects and the monster models. The weather is pretty good too. The lighting is good for a mmo, but not up there with the better fps graphically.

Originally posted by Izik
    Graphically TSW wins hands down.  It's the only mmo (and game) in the world that utilizes the new TXAA anti-aliasing technique, among other things (http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-secret-world-txaa).  You're delusional if you think any other game comes close to the technical prowess TSW displays. TERA also has an incredibly strong graphical engine.Aesthetically speaking, that's your opinion. A lot of people love GW2 aethsetically - but it does not mean the game has "good graphics". People need to realize the difference between apples and oranges in this case.

TXAA - meh. I think Shader-based AA is nice (TXAA is MSAA-based, not shader based), but to call a game "More advanced" because it uses one form of AA that is heavily marketed by one video card manufacturer - nah. I haven't seen TSW in action - it may very well be worthy of the title, but just on the basis of it using a buzzword-loaded AA type promoted by one video card manufacturer that likely got paid to include it - nope.

• TigerAeroTigerAero Member Posts: 127

Graphic wise, I have to honestly say RIFT. A tad cartoony but also has that blood and guts and grit at times. I like it. If only I could figure out the game's pvp and class balance/imbalance.

I tried some sort of ranger (always my first class in games) and frankly just found myself getting 4 and 5 shotted where my 4 and 5 shots would be maybe a speck of their life gone. -______-

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

also for anyone who hasn't seen this before it's a good video of comparing graphics and aesthetics and sort of shows how people can really like a games look a lot better with decent graphics but great asthetics than the one with a  higher polygon count

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/graphics-vs.-aesthetics

Good video but I cant say that it is as clear cut and dry as that video make it look. For instance, some of those games they say look great because of aestethics I think look pretty silly so it is partly subjective.

I originally thought GW 2 had better aesthetics than TERA but that was just because I hadn't play through all TERA zones. Aftter doing so I feel the aesthetics in TERA is better just because of the shere variety where as GW 2 looks similar, but good, throughout all the zones so it gets boring. Also the armors and weapons in TERA I feel look much better, not because of polygon count, but rather the style which is entirely subjective because I prefer shining and overly big and glamorous weapon and armor where as others do not.

So GFX is definetely not the answer to great looking game but neither is aesthetics because the latter is subjective. However GFX is not subjective so it is atleast a metric you can measure.

• IzikIzik Member Posts: 111
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Originally posted by Izik
    Graphically TSW wins hands down.  It's the only mmo (and game) in the world that utilizes the new TXAA anti-aliasing technique, among other things (http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-secret-world-txaa).  You're delusional if you think any other game comes close to the technical prowess TSW displays. TERA also has an incredibly strong graphical engine.

Aesthetically speaking, that's your opinion. A lot of people love GW2 aethsetically - but it does not mean the game has "good graphics". People need to realize the difference between apples and oranges in this case.

TXAA - meh. I think Shader-based AA is nice (TXAA is MSAA-based, not shader based), but to call a game "More advanced" because it uses one form of AA that is heavily marketed by one video card manufacturer - nah. I haven't seen TSW in action - it may very well be worthy of the title, but just on the basis of it using a buzzword-loaded AA type promoted by one video card manufacturer that likely got paid to include it - nope.

If you've never seen TSW in action, how can you prefer one AA over another? 

It's not just marketing rhetoric either; TXAA looks amazing if you have the rig to run it.