Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ next!! who want punishing death?

I really want  EQnext to be like eq1 but better.

I'm a big fan of punishing death in mmorpg and i really like when our body stayed on the ground.

It increase the feeling of fear that i think is essential in a good immersive game.

i know a lot of people don't like it because you can lose your body and all your stuff.

maybe they should return your corp's after 1 month or make you lose only your accesory (rings,necklace,...)

my top punishing game are (eq1,UO,legend of kesmai,realm of the mad god)

what are you thinking of punishing death?

Comments

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Would I personally want it? I would, yes.  Would I want my corpse to poof after a set time? No.  I would rather see corpses vanish from other players after a certain amount of hours but still available to me until I retrieve it.  Reason being I just know after dying my son would have a hard time sleeping and have me up half the night heh.
  • NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

I can't wait for this thread to be swarmed by people with insults to your like of thinking, OP.

And yup, I want major death penalties. The game has to offer the rush.

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

Well over a decade ago when I was playing UO, I would have agreed with you on punishing death.  But then I had no real responsibilities, plenty of free time, the arrogance of youth, and there weren't many alternatives to compare UO to.  

Older now, with work, a family and a house to take care of, my gaming time is precious and I have no desire to spend that time doing corpse runs or earning back lost gear/exp.  

I even tried going back to UO a couple years ago, and the same activities and penalties I enjoyed years ago, just felt like work.  These days I want to have fun during my gaming sessions.  I don't want to spend my time polishing my e-peen or pursuing grindy activities.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591
    I would love for punishing death penaltys to return, current games dont really offer anything in the risk/reward department because of such lax death systems.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

i prefer the sliding scale.

EQ has many gods, and my death penalty should, in part , be determined by which one of them i choose to resurect me.

If i choose a god like Mithaneal Marr, there should be all kinds of options to minimize death penalty, whereas if i choose someone like cazic thule, my options for penalty reduction would be decreasd and options for destructive abilities increased.

?! I like that Rungard. What if there was a "price" for resurrection by that god? Or you could decline and just run back.
  • ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

Not really.

The writeup What's in a Death Penalty? is an interesting take on the death penalty.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    I'll pass...
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106

I miss being punished for death oddly enough. No longer do I give a crap about dieing on a quest. If I do, whoopee! I just run in and just do it over and over till I get it. Hell, there are quests where I res on my corpse, and then run as far as possible before I die again, and then I just rinse and repeat till I am towards the end hAhAHahA. Also, armour repairs are stupid cheap, and even if they weren't, I'd just do it naked. 

No longer do I have to plot to be safe. Nor do I have to achieve anything before hand to accomplish most quests. With how easy all the MMO's are now a days, its no wonder none of them last as long as they used to. Or if they last, they aren't as profitable and thus go F2P. We need a developer or two that will ignore the casual crowd and give us back death penalties!!! We are the ones that continue to subscribe to their games for the long haul while the casuals drift in and out. Lately they aren't keeping either crowd anymore. Please note, I don't think all games need a penalty, but a couple here and there would be awesome.

On that note, I hope EQ Next gets a real death penalty. Screw the carebears. They don't even know what they want which is evident by the poor cycles of games that have been coming out.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152
    Honestly I used to love it as a kid but now that I have 2 hours to play in a day I don't want to spend most of it getting my corpse.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

Originally posted by madazz

On that note, I hope EQ Next gets a real death penalty. Screw the carebears. They don't even know what they want which is evident by the poor cycles of games that have been coming out.

Yet games that are considered unsuccessful have more subscribers  than Everquest ever had.

Originally posted by EndDream
    Honestly I used to love it as a kid but now that I have 2 hours to play in a day I don't want to spend most of it getting my corpse.

I see your point, and I don't disagree with it entirely. I don't have a lot of time like I used to either, but all the games out now are meaningless. I hope at the very least EQ Next gets it. Just one game, just one that doesn't cater to the casual crowd 100%. Maybe we can meet half way some how lol

Originally posted by ice-vortex

Yet games that are considered unsuccessful have more subscribers  than Everquest ever had.

And die, and have massive lay-offs, and then upset their small community by shutting down. That's why Everquest is still going strong where as all teh unsuccessful games are shutting down, or going F2P and then shutting down. 

Originally posted by ice-vortex

And die, and have massive lay-offs, and then upset their small community by shutting down. That's why Everquest is still going strong where as all teh unsuccessful games are shutting down. 

List the modern games that have shut down because they aren't 'hardcore' enough.

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Originally posted by whiteoak21

I'm a big fan of punishing death in mmorpg and i really like when our body stayed on the ground.

It increase the feeling of fear that i think is essential in a good immersive game.

i know a lot of people don't like it because you can lose your body and all your stuff.

maybe they should return your corp's after 1 month or make you lose only your accesory (rings,necklace,...)

Wow... I did not think anyone remembered LoK anymore.  2 cookies for you for mentioning it.  Loved that game.

Originally posted by Aelious
    ?! I like that Rungard. What if there was a "price" for resurrection by that god? Or you could decline and just run back.

Heres what i envision:

like the original eq you have to pick and alignment and god. You have this "god meter" that fills when you survive and decreases when you die ( like the old exp loss, byt severly limited to this meter, not your whole character.)

the meter acts like a sliding scale and the more you fill the meter, the more "god powers" you unlock. As you unlock the powers you get to pick a number of them from the set. You can use these powers anytime you wish as long as you keep your meter level above the rank of the skill you have.

if we used a 7 rank system each rank has a choice of powers you could use that are consistant with the god you chose. Merfiful and caring gods have alot of protectionist type abilities and unmercuful gods have little to no protections...anbd of course theres lots of gods so theres enough choice in there for everyone. You could also change gods by way of a very costly quest ingame, but you can never go back to the previous one.

in your 7 ranks the rule is that you cant lose more than 2 ranks. If your rank 7 you can go back to 5 by dying alot. You start at rank 1. Rank 1 is the same for all players: you get the ability to be resurected with a substantial dent to your god meter.

The more ranks you have the more access you have to the skills. Some skills can reduce or even eliminate the penalty, but it would be at the cost of something else.

this puts the power of death in the players hands where it belongs.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by augustgrace

Well over a decade ago when I was playing UO, I would have agreed with you on punishing death.  But then I had no real responsibilities, plenty of free time, the arrogance of youth, and there weren't many alternatives to compare UO to.  

Older now, with work, a family and a house to take care of, my gaming time is precious and I have no desire to spend that time doing corpse runs or earning back lost gear/exp.  

I even tried going back to UO a couple years ago, and the same activities and penalties I enjoyed years ago, just felt like work.  These days I want to have fun during my gaming sessions.  I don't want to spend my time polishing my e-peen or pursuing grindy activities.

Im not in anyway trying to sound rude but perhaps your time would be better spent in a game like GW2 or rift. Games that dont take up to much of your time and you can still feel like your acomplishing something.

The game i want to play would take a long time to play. would like to have a home again insted of driffing from game to game. And large death penelties would just add to that time. I know it may sound silly but thats my tastes.

Having to think out you attack before you just rush in to atk mobs over and over knowing that you can just respawn 20m away is not for me. So heres hoping for a strickt death penelty.

PS: NOT PERMA DEATH! =)

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Smed has already said their will be a hardcore EQ1 type server with harsher rules than a normal server.

http://www.giantbomb.com/everquest-next-working-title/61-32284/

Rungard

I like that idea. Since your deity given powers are a facet of your overall combat abilities dying and losing them for a time would make you more careful for sure. At the same time it wouldn't stop you altogether like a corpse run would.

/signed
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    So many great things that can be in a sandbox game, and this is what people call for?  I just don't get it. 
  • JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

Smed has already said their will be a hardcore EQ1 type server with harsher rules than a normal server.

http://www.giantbomb.com/everquest-next-working-title/61-32284/

That says possibility. That's a maybe :P I'm all for it personally! I hope they have some great PvP like original EQ had as well (I know some didn't like it, but I did heh).

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283
    I'll pass on the punishing death.
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Rungard

I like that idea. Since your deity given powers are a facet of your overall combat abilities dying and losing them for a time would make you more careful for sure. At the same time it wouldn't stop you altogether like a corpse run would.

/signed

Basically you get to decide. You can go with all offinsive powers and very harsh penalties ( remember you need to have the rank to use them), or go all protectionist and not really have any powers to use, but i would imagine most players would be somewhere in the middle.

The part i like the best is that it makes sense in eq lore, which i think is critical for all systems.

To keep it interesting they could have it so that you would need to keep your deity alive, thus is a crew of players went to the planes to kill your guy you could accept summons to defend.

Thus if your god gets knocked off, everyone that god has under them loses their powers for a bit. I suppose the god would convert to ethereal after they are taken out and they could only manage rank 1 resurections at that point until they regain their power.

That would be fun.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I wouldn't mind some XP loss and needing a resurrection to restore part of it.

What I don't want is the permadeath stuff, just what EQ used to have XP loss, without the current lobby system.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

XP loss worked well in EQ, that's the reason for me. While losing XP is no fun, what it does mean is that clerics tend to find groups and reliance on other people becomes more important which fosters a lively and strong community.

I am NOT in favor of XP loss just for the sake of some PVP fanatics who want to cause harm onto other players and gloat at the fact they can grief, in fact I don't like PVP at all.