Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Map limitations by faction.

KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I remember reading somewhere that you can only access your own factions PvE map, and then the shared PvP map Cyrodiil.

Can anyone confirm this? As a big fan of huge open worlds in mmorpgs this might be a deal breaker for me. The game looks good and fun and different than your average traditional mmorpg, but limited open world access absolutely devastates my immersion and makes the game sound incredibly "gamey" instead of a massive world.

Comments

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Kuinn

I remember reading somewhere that you can only access your own factions PvE map, and then the shared PvP map Cyrodiil.

Can anyone confirm this? As a big fan of huge open worlds in mmorpgs this might be a deal breaker for me. The game looks good and fun and different than your average traditional mmorpg, but limited open world access absolutely devastates my immersion and makes the game sound incredibly "gamey" instead of a massive world.

As far as I know, there is no physical barrier, something like an impassable mountain, restricting access but you will encounter hostility when you cross into enemy borders. So while nothing is stopping you from exploring the world, some places will be very hard/impossible to reach.

I must admit, I hate the enforced restrictions and while I do understand why it makes sense 'when at war' to have restricted movement but why not make the choice to opt in/opt out of the war or at least delay it.

From just a logistics POV how do these nations conduct any trade if they can only trade with 2 of the 9 area's. Also, does it mean that if I am playing the elven nations I will NEVER encounter an Orc or just that I will never encounter an ORC player in normal PvE?

Fine, have sides to the conflict, make them racial in nature, but don't have black and while restrictions in place. Let us wander the world, let us work out who to fight for, let us make a CHOICE based on in game experiences rather then simply by chosing a race at character creation.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Its true yes, but as long as each factions map is large enough I dont see it as an issue as I will be rolling people on each faction anyway as they will have different stories/content
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

As far as I know, there is no physical barrier, something like an impassable mountain, restricting access but you will encounter hostility when you cross into enemy borders. So while nothing is stopping you from exploring the world, some places will be very hard/impossible to reach.

I must admit, I hate the enforced restrictions and while I do understand why it makes sense 'when at war' to have restricted movement but why not make the choice to opt in/opt out of the war or at least delay it.

From just a logistics POV how do these nations conduct any trade if they can only trade with 2 of the 9 area's. Also, does it mean that if I am playing the elven nations I will NEVER encounter an Orc or just that I will never encounter an ORC player in normal PvE?

Fine, have sides to the conflict, make them racial in nature, but don't have black and while restrictions in place. Let us wander the world, let us work out who to fight for, let us make a CHOICE based on in game experiences rather then simply by chosing a race at character creation.

the pve maps are faction restricted yes.  cyrodill (the owpvp zone) is a shared map and is roughly the size of Oblivian.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Meh, have to wait and see I guess how it exactly plays out. I really hope there wont be hard barriers around the faction areas. I actually like factions, and classes, but the one thing that has been at the core of TES games which is one of my favourite features has always been the free exploration of everything as long as I find a way to get there.
    Meh, have to wait and see I guess how it exactly plays out. I really hope there wont be hard barriers around the faction areas. I actually like factions, and classes, but the one thing that has been at the core of TES games which is one of my favourite features has always been the free exploration of everything as long as I find a way to get there.

the faction zones will be shut off from eachother.  http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/game-guide/alliances the part of tamriel where they attach isnt accessible in the game at launch.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

It's exactly the same way it was done in DAoC...worked fine there.

I fail to see how living mostly in your own homelands and fighting in the contested area is "gamey." Auction Houses with instant mail delivery is gamey, resurrection is gamey, teleporting all over the map is gamey, having your own home territory isn not.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Daggerfall convenant play in high rock, hammerfell and cyrodil
    Ebonheart pact play in skyrim, Morrowind and cyrodil
    Aldemeri dominion play in summerset isle, Valenwood and cyrodil.

All provinces are roughly the size of oblivion (e.g. skyrim will be a bit smaller in the mmo)

Blackmarsh and elswyr are held back for expansion (and probably because the later is rumoured to be location of tes 6)
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Iselin.

It's exactly the same as daoc core servers.

It's not exactly the same as daoc full stop as it also had the ffa and the coop servers where you could go anywhere, the first being pvp everywhere, the second allowing x faction pve.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Iselin.

It's exactly the same as daoc core servers.

It's not exactly the same as daoc full stop as it also had the ffa and the coop servers where you could go anywhere, the first being pvp everywhere, the second allowing x faction pve.

Yeah I know. I always considered the DAoC ffa servers an aberration... call me prejudiced.

I started in Guinevere Albion and stayed there... I got rather attached to it and hated Hibs and Stungardians on sight :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

All provinces are roughly the size of oblivion (e.g. skyrim will be a bit smaller in the mmo)

Blackmarsh and elswyr are held back for expansion (and probably because the later is rumoured to be location of tes 6)

Can you link where they say the PvE area will be as small as oblivion? Hope its not the case as oblivions map is tiny compared to most mmo's

link

Originally posted by muffins89

the faction zones will be shut off from eachother.  http://elderscrollsonline.com/en/game-guide/alliances the part of tamriel where they attach isnt accessible in the game at launch.

Unfortunately, from a mmorpg perspective it means that I need to create at least 3 characters just to explore the world, hard to immerse my self into the game with this limitation. Also it means that we'll see a lot of guilds that initially fill with people, and soon after the guilds break when people start playing different characters on different factions just to see the world.

I hope they reconsider this since the game is not even in beta yet, I seriously believe this will harm the mmorpg side of the game badly and it will make it hard for the community to settle in when they are switching factions left and right just to see the world.

Originally posted by deakon

Can you link where they say the PvE area will be as small as oblivion? Hope its not the case as oblivions map is tiny compared to most mmo's

link

@shakymo ; "The game world consists of most of the continent of Tamriel. Including the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind, Summerset Isle, Elsweyr, Hammerfell, and Cyrodiil. (GI1),(GSE3)"    

@deakon - i dont think that they've said how large the pve areas will be. 

Originally posted by Iselin

It's exactly the same way it was done in DAoC...worked fine there.

I fail to see how living mostly in your own homelands and fighting in the contested area is "gamey." Auction Houses with instant mail delivery is gamey, resurrection is gamey, teleporting all over the map is gamey, having your own home territory isn not.

Mail delivery or resurrection does not leave huge blank areas on the map and say "you must create additional characters to see what's in there" - that's what matters to me, if I'm required to roll new characters on my enemy faction to explore.

Living mostly in my home area is fine. I dont even ask quests or events to be present for me on the enemy faction areas, I just need access to get there if I feel like going, otherwise this game doesnt even have open world which I consider a core element of mmorpgs.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by ShakyMo Daggerfall convenant play in high rock, hammerfell and cyrodil Ebonheart pact play in skyrim, Morrowind and cyrodil Aldemeri dominion play in summerset isle, Valenwood and cyrodil. All provinces are roughly the size of oblivion (e.g. skyrim will be a bit smaller in the mmo) Blackmarsh and elswyr are held back for expansion (and probably because the later is rumoured to be location of tes 6)

link

Seriously people, stop using that image, it's laughably incorrect.

Unfortunately, from a mmorpg perspective it means that I need to create at least 3 characters just to explore the world, hard to immerse my self into the game with this limitation. Also it means that we'll see a lot of guilds that initially fill with people, and soon after the guilds break when people start playing different characters on different factions just to see the world.

I hope they reconsider this since the game is not even in beta yet, I seriously believe this will harm the mmorpg side of the game badly and it will make it hard for the community to settle in when they are switching factions left and right just to see the world.

I do understand what you're saying. There's a heaping dose of explorer in me too.

But I guess I'm coming at this from an old-time DAoC fan perspective. DAoC stands alone in my memory of all MMOs I've played as the one where I didn't suffer from altitis. The immersive sense of community I felt there within my Albion faction is far and away the most realistic involvement I've ever felt in an MMO. I cared about Albion...still do.

I never explored Hibernia nor Midgard....and I'm rather proud of that. Mind you, I was also in an RP server and that helped too.

PS. I'm also a big TES fan. I started way back in "Arena" on an Atari computer :) I still miss being able to invent spells. My original magic absorbing Sorcerer there was probably my favorite RPG character of all time.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by ShakyMo Daggerfall convenant play in high rock, hammerfell and cyrodil Ebonheart pact play in skyrim, Morrowind and cyrodil Aldemeri dominion play in summerset isle, Valenwood and cyrodil. All provinces are roughly the size of oblivion (e.g. skyrim will be a bit smaller in the mmo) Blackmarsh and elswyr are held back for expansion (and probably because the later is rumoured to be location of tes 6)

link

Seriously people, stop using that image, it's laughably incorrect.

That pic may not be accurate but my point that oblivion is tiny in comparison to most mmo's still stands, because it really is

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Its true yes, but as long as each factions map is large enough I dont see it as an issue as I will be rolling people on each faction anyway as they will have different stories/content

this and also you need to have somekind of homeland feeling with your race and not always see straight away some tards running around you lands at early levels cause its kewl on their minds.

not a deal breaker for me.  my immersion in Skyrim isn't ruined because i cant go to Hammerfell.  if the game is fun and the world immersive it make no difference to me.   as for the guld thing,  that happens in everygame.  look at how some guilds are going in gw2 atm.  true guilds,  ones that are dedicated and commited won't have a problem playing together and/or staying together. 

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

So if I were to create a character that made jewelry and went around the lands selling my goods, I would not be able to visit 60% of the world to sell my goods...some systems work but I just don't think it does.

Of all the ways do set things up, bearing in mind this is TES online, hardcoding faction aliegence upon character creation is just...wrong. Why not have it similar to Skyrim: -

-You want to stay out of the war then don't join a faction.

-To sign up for a faction you must do various missions, to enter Cryodil you need to have proved yourself by killing opposing forces (PvP).

-You can travel all the lands but you may suffer racial abuse or even get attacked if you happen to be in racially opposed faction lands.

While I DO understand why it is this way, if feels like a cop-out or even a missed oppertunity.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i am pretty damn sure the pve areas are going to be much bigger than oblivion.

the only thing i recall seeing them say is the pvp area of cyrodiil will be a little smaller than oblivion.

another thing to consider is if its anything like TES games, there will be tons of dungeons and caves under ground to explore.

the pvp area will also have pve and dungeons to explore as well.

not sure how well it will be implemented but i used to play Daoc and this was never an issue for me.

Originally posted by Iselin

I do understand what you're saying. There's a heaping dose of explorer in me too.

But I guess I'm coming at this from an old-time DAoC fan perspective. DAoC stands alone in my memory of all MMOs I've played as the one where I didn't suffer from altitis. The immersive sense of community I felt there within my Albion faction is far and away the most realistic involvement I've ever felt in an MMO. I cared about Albion...still do.

I never explored Hibernia nor Midgard....and I'm rather proud of that. Mind you, I was also in an RP server and that helped too.

PS. I'm also a big TES fan. I started way back in "Arena" on an Atari computer :) I still miss being able to invent spells. My original magic absorbing Sorcerer there was probably my favorite RPG character of all time.

Hmm, after giving it some more thought, there could be actually positive sides to it too, at least I want to think so. I love factions in mmorpgs, especially if they have different races, it really gives them that alien feeling of the enemy, unlike GW2 for example where you are kind of fighting people that come from the exact same place as you do, in a sense.

Considering that, the exploration blocking might not be so bad afterall, if I manage to get my faction pride on the apropriate gear. Oh well, eagerly waiting more info on this one.

not a deal breaker for me.  my immersion in Skyrim isn't ruined because i cant go to Hammerfell.  if the game is fun and the world immersive it make no difference to me.   as for the guld thing,  that happens in everygame.  look at how some guilds are going in gw2 atm.  true guilds,  ones that are dedicated and commited won't have a problem playing together and/or staying together. 

Yeah it kinda makes sense, the Hammerfell comparison in Skyrim and that I cant go there, but there's the difference that in Skyrim Hammerfell actually physically does not exist, while in ESO the inaccessible maps do exist.

True, guilds go through turmoil regardless, but I just think this is possibly one more thing to add into that turmoil.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

the pve maps are faction restricted yes.  cyrodill (the owpvp zone) is a shared map and is roughly the size of Oblivian.

That's way too small for a MMO. Oblivion was a single payer game map, not a MMO. Way too small. This is a major concern.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by MMOExposed

That's way too small for a MMO. Oblivion was a single payer game map, not a MMO. Way too small. This is a major concern.

For the dedicated PvP zone it isnt that small, if the normal leveling areas are that small then we will have something to worry about

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

link

OT

Wow wtf is that game Just Cause2?  

Philosophy of MMO Game Design