Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We got enough Games. Give me a World.

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Kenze
    Originally posted by Neherun
    Originally posted by Thane

you wanna know why? because people are cheaters, exploiters, destroyers. not crafters, explorers and gatherers.

if they would build a free to roam world people would find a way to destroy it, so they could get the best stuff with the least work - as always.

it's not as simple as you think, no matter how many words you use to describe it.

Naturally, if you decide to let them take it, they will. That's the issue, people don't want to lose anything, but they don't have what it takes to keep everything. Then they want bunch of artifical barriers to protect them, and the vicious cycle of instancing and roller coaster rides begun.

yeah cause nothing is more fun than a survival of the fittest, death sport,penal colony world filled with crafters and politicians...

Exactly.

You know what I like to do in Skyrim these days?

Sneak around cities and towns, stealing whatever isn't chained down, and assassinating NPCs in their sleep (or in the case of guards, while they are walking lol.)

You know what Skyrim Online would look like?

Oh, jeeze. I just wanted to come to this town and bank - but the tellers are all dead. The guards are all dead. OK let's try another city... *gank* ouch I just got 1 shot from behind with no warning or chance to defend myself!

OK fine... rez outside of town... there is a dungeon over there, let's go explore this cave shall we?

Wow.. kind of empty in here... all the mobs are dead.. oh, look a massive end-room - and there are 37 other players in here waiting for the Named to respawn... *gank* damnit that assassin got me again wtf was he following me?

OK let's get some revenge on that assassin - guildies, will you come help me kill this griefer?

No? You're too busy decorating your house? And you're too busy ganking noobs in the starter zone? Didn't you get ganked in the starter zone a lot? Oh, you're getting revenge for how you were treated...

I guess I'll just log off... or maybe I'll hop on my alt.

Yay, a fresh new toon to play with! *gank* GD it dude I'm like level 1! WTF is wrong with you?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by apocoluster

Disagree.  Give me somthing to relax with after a long day of work.  Sandbox games for me seem to be essentially a 2nd job. 

Yeah, a guy I know played SWG when it started. He told me that one day he realized that it was like a second job that he wasn't getting paid for.

Especially when he realized that he was becoming overwhelmed with orders and couldn't work fast enough to fulfill them.

He later started EQ and that seemed a better fit.

This is kind of silly, since there is no real pressure to get anything done in SWG unless you did it to yourself.    I managed to run one of the top Weapon shops on my server back in the day, including selling the stuff that was insane to manufacture such as krayt tissue weapons and rocket launchers, and I never felt like it was a second job.

Sorry, but his issue was self-inflicted. 

Well, I wouldn't disagree but he took his crafting acumen to EQ and it appealed to him.

My guess, as I've mentioned, is that there was nothing in SWG that appealed to him other than the crafting and apparently that made him feel like his game time was a second job.

Apparently EQ's didn't. I can't speak any more on that as I've never played SWG (nor orginal EQ for that matter other than a few hours a few years ago)  and was just commenting on another person's feeling that sandbox games felt like a second job to him.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Exactly.

Sneak around cities and towns, stealing whatever isn't chained down, and assassinating NPCs in their sleep (or in the case of guards, while they are walking lol.)

Oh, jeeze. I just wanted to come to this town and bank - but the tellers are all dead. The guards are all dead. OK let's try another city... *gank* ouch I just got 1 shot from behind with no warning or chance to defend myself!

OK fine... rez outside of town... there is a dungeon over there, let's go explore this cave shall we?

Wow.. kind of empty in here... all the mobs are dead.. oh, look a massive end-room - and there are 37 other players in here waiting for the Named to respawn... *gank* damnit that assassin got me again wtf was he following me?

OK let's get some revenge on that assassin - guildies, will you come help me kill this griefer?

No? You're too busy decorating your house? And you're too busy ganking noobs in the starter zone? Didn't you get ganked in the starter zone a lot? Oh, you're getting revenge for how you were treated...

Yay, a fresh new toon to play with! *gank* GD it dude I'm like level 1! WTF is wrong with you?

nvm

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
       Disagree.  Give me games.  The real world is plenty enough Sandboxy for me.  I play games to get away from it.

The whole "but the real world is a sandbox!" argument is ludicrous. Utterly ludicrous.

There are thousands of games out there to "get away from it". This genre happens to be able to offer something other genres of games simply cannot, an online, massively multiplayer, persistent world. Sadly it's been wasted for the main part.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Exactly.

This was awesome... didn't remember evil Spock was this funny :)

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Some good points here each way. Just want to add that yes, I think EVE is very close to what I describe - but it's set in space and too "clean" for my taste. A fantasy world with EVE's mechanics and solid client/server base. Yes, please :)

That said, I think I'll resub to EVE for a month or too soon, as it's the only MMO out there that actually feels like a world.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Some good points here each way. Just want to add that yes, I think EVE is very close to what I describe - but it's set in space and too "clean" for my taste. A fantasy world with EVE's mechanics and solid client/server base. Yes, please :)

That said, I think I'll resub to EVE for a month or too soon, as it's the only MMO out there that actually feels like a world.

Have you given Perpetuum a try.. Eve with little ugly robots but progression over time kinda like Eve but different.  

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

you wanna know why? because people are cheaters, exploiters, destroyers. not crafters, explorers and gatherers.

if they would build a free to roam world people would find a way to destroy it, so they could get the best stuff with the least work - as always.

it's not as simple as you think, no matter how many words you use to describe it.

Naturally, if you decide to let them take it, they will. That's the issue, people don't want to lose anything, but they don't have what it takes to keep everything. Then they want bunch of artifical barriers to protect them, and the vicious cycle of instancing and roller coaster rides begun.

yeah cause nothing is more fun than a survival of the fittest, death sport,penal colony world filled with crafters and politicians...

Exactly.

Seriously, if you think Sandboxes are like that, you are deluded  beyond cure.

How about actually PLAYING one before assaulting us who believe its a good concept? What you described is nothing remotely close to a sandbox game.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

you wanna know why? because people are cheaters, exploiters, destroyers. not crafters, explorers and gatherers. if they would build a free to roam world people would find a way to destroy it, so they could get the best stuff with the least work - as always. it's not as simple as you think, no matter how many words you use to describe it.

Exactly.

How about actually PLAYING one before assaulting us who believe its a good concept? What you described is nothing remotely close to a sandbox game.

name 1 pure sandbox game that isnt a ffa pvp griefers wet dream

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Xyson.

• ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283

I was thinking the same thing when I was playing Skyrim last night.

So I just play Skyrim, nothing compares.

The only thing about making an MMO-skyrim, imo, would be balancing it. I think it would be a nightmare. Also I think griefers and douchebags could ruin it for everyone.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I'm not bothered if its sandbox or themepark (but not uber themepark like say swtor)

I just want a quality game with a fully persistent world and no more bloody instancing.
    Originally posted by muffins89

Xyson.

thats only because noone plays Xyson and if so many people want a sandbox why dont they play Xyson?

—Lao-Tze

Exactly.

None, since getting killed in MMORPG against your own will isn't griefing. Its called freedom, that guy wanted you killed, so he killed you. The sad thing is, you were incapable of defending yourself, thus you got killed. Got the flip side of the coin? In turn, if he was incapable of killing you, he would be annoyed.

You're not questioning FFA PvP, you are questioning the whole legitemacy of PvP altogether. We used to have an insult for such thinkers, which I am unfortunately incapable of using here, because its against the TOS.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Agreed OP. We have enough theme parks, its time for a virtual world to play in.

Xyson.

thats only because noone plays Xyson and if so many people want a sandbox why dont they play Xyson?

If you want a themepark, why don't you play an existing one?

[mod edit]

Originally posted by Waybackwhen

whats wrong with Xyson or Second Life? they both seem to offer what you guys are looking for. I think you sandboxer are just like us themeparkers.. we cant be satisfied.

—Lao-Tze

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

Why build all this world if its just going to get ignored for the most part by most of the players.   The players are doing what they want to do.  If every Themepark was deleted off every server right now..and replaced by open world player driven sandboxes your not going to have a new crop of sandbox players arrive...it will still just be you guys..the niche and the rest (well 99%) will just stop gaming.

This post has it all ... Themer invective, doom prophecies, magic statistics, and a hypothetical scenario of mystical mechanics.

Don't leave the cave people, there are no quests out there!

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Xyson.

If you want a themepark, why don't you play an existing one?

[mod edit]

typical, you cant argue your point on the subject so you start to attack the posters

—Lao-Tze

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    /snip

None, since getting killed in MMORPG against your own will isn't griefing. Its called freedom, that guy wanted you killed, so he killed you. The sad thing is, you were incapable of defending yourself, thus you got killed. Got the flip side of the coin? In turn, if he was incapable of killing you, he would be annoyed.

You're not questioning FFA PvP, you are questioning the whole legitemacy of PvP altogether. We used to have an insult for such thinkers, which I am unfortunately incapable of using here, because its against the TOS.

LOL, why? In what sane world is a person's game mode preference cause for name calling? I propose a social experiment.  Someone should record a 60 second clip of their best PvP and put it on a portable device.  Then find a random person in public and show it to them.  Record how impressed they seem at the time of view as opposed to how much fun the player had when recording it.

It's the projection of real life hostility into a virtual environment that turns me off of PvP.  95% of people are well balanced individuals that enjoy fighting a real person rather than a program.  The problem is that the 5% is not worth being in the same space with.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

whats wrong with Xyson or Second Life? they both seem to offer what you guys are looking for. I think you sandboxer are just like us themeparkers.. we cant be satisfied.

I would say production quality.  I only speak for myself but the current crop of MMOs is not too far removed from what I would like to play.  Most of the time I would settle for a big open world and flexible character classes.  EQN sounds to go far and above that, we'll see if it pans out that way.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Xyson.

good question.  ask the avid sandbox players.

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78

Disagree.  Give me somthing to relax with after a long day of work.  Sandbox games for me seem to be essentially a 2nd job.  I want to have fun on the few remaining hours that are available to me between Dinner and bedtime.   Rather than sitting in line waiting for Doctor buffs so I can hunt HQ times for my Armorcrafter machines, or suck  vibrant sweat off of beasts with dozens of others to sell to crafters or Down load my Millionth Veldspar rock...I want to be told to walk 50 feet and kill 10 rats.  Thank you.

Then play the myriad of MMOs on the market that suit your style of gaming? A lot of MMORPGs are time investments, they always have been. I can't say I'd want to spend $15 a month on a game I can "complete" in a week or so. If you're going to claim that games should suit your limited amount of playing time, I say a game's scope shouldn't be limited by those who are unable/unwilling to invest time and effort. The door swings both ways. You're also telling me that leveling up your character, gearing your character, grinding for levels/gold, running the raid treadmill isn't time consuming? It sure as hell is! These sort of "commitments" are found and required (in order to be viable in both PVE and PVP) in practically every themepark MMO in existence. Not to mention, the way a lot of themeparks are structured, you have to constantly be on the same page as your friends in terms of quests and zones, or you'll find yourself being left behind.

You said what would be the point in creating a world when the majority of gamers would ignore it? Let me ask you this, do you know that for certain? I certainly don't. How many recent, AAA sandboxes/sandparks have there been? Certainly not enough to make that sort of assessment. For a lot of people, WoW was their first MMO experience. Subscribers have either been playing it since release, or have hopped between different, but similar games. Because of that, they've never really been exposed to MMOs that offer more freedom or have a different design philosophy. Why? For the last 7 years or so, everyone has been chasing WoW's shadow. This resulted in a wave of derivative MMOs that continue to flood and dominate the market. If there were more options available (backed by bigger companies), maybe these people would find those sort of games interesting and it would spawn a whole new fanbase. Who knows? Like others have said, a lot of recent gamers have been conditioned to expect combat, combat and more combat while they travel from point A to point B.

Choice. That's all I ever ask for.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Yeah but every theme park mmo player thinks ever mmo should cater to them. Just saying you guys have enough theme parks to keep you busy for a long time. People who love sandboxes are stuck with mediocre sandbox mmos. 

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Its called freedom, that guy wanted you killed, so he killed you.

I am sorry to inform you but that is not what freedom is.

Freedom implies there is equal right for those who are unwilling to fight as those who are willing.