Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] The War Z: Unpolished, But Addictive

Comments

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Would be awesome if you'd turn into a zombie and and play one, if bitten and not healed.

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    I like these games but I'm with the others, wait and see what they do. In the mean time ill play planetside 2.
  • eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by DAS1337

Hah, Bill Bill Bill...

You can call it beta all you want, but that doesn't make it so.  If they choose to call it alpha, then it is alpha.  You don't get to make that decision, they do.  I didn't know the definition of beta had anything to do with paying for it.

I'd like to point out that servers can hold 40 players, to be exact.  Since you were being vague.  I'd also like to point out that you can't buy revives, as they aren't in the game.  I'm not sure where you got that information from, because it's certainly not from actually playing the game.

I'm actually quite surprised that you didn't focus more on the massive amounts of player griefing, or PvP as one would call it.  The majority of the player base wants change in the form of punishment for excessive player killing, according to a sizable poll on their forums.  

But yes, while the game has some bugs, it's definitely addictive.  That is, if you can handle the inevitability of dying on a sonsistent basis and losing all of your items.

Er, no. They can call it whatever they want, but in software development terms, it's technically 'retail/released'. Like Bill mentioned, he was stretching the term 'beta' to its limits as is.

Basically, this is the developers lying about the state of the game and the fact that they need more funding to try to finish it.

• BalverineBalverine Member UncommonPosts: 12

- Call of Duty version of DayZ.

- The Community is 100x worse than the DayZ Community.

- Basicaly 3D Dead Frontier, which is also shit.

- The lead Dev talks so much shit it and tries to cover up his dirt so hard its pathetic.

Why anyone will pay more for nothing is a surprise to me.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by spawn12345
    well its very early beta. most of the features arent in yet and there are alot of bugs and balancing to be done, so this is expected. But the core game is great!

Beta is where you test all the features for release.  If it is not in Beta is most probably will not be there at release.  So when you say that most of the features are not in yet, then you can pretty much expect they won't be in at release either.

This game is really not even in alpha stage yet, to call it Beta means the developers don't have very high expectations nor should you.

When you throw money at half finished games, you just encourage other developers to do the same.  This game is far from release ready and really should be sent back to internal testing until the annouced features are at least working,  Until then this game is just another developer scam, attempting to jump in the xmas season and get their money quick.

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by eric_w66

Hah, Bill Bill Bill...

You can call it beta all you want, but that doesn't make it so.  If they choose to call it alpha, then it is alpha.  You don't get to make that decision, they do.  I didn't know the definition of beta had anything to do with paying for it.

I'd like to point out that servers can hold 40 players, to be exact.  Since you were being vague.  I'd also like to point out that you can't buy revives, as they aren't in the game.  I'm not sure where you got that information from, because it's certainly not from actually playing the game.

I'm actually quite surprised that you didn't focus more on the massive amounts of player griefing, or PvP as one would call it.  The majority of the player base wants change in the form of punishment for excessive player killing, according to a sizable poll on their forums.  

But yes, while the game has some bugs, it's definitely addictive.  That is, if you can handle the inevitability of dying on a sonsistent basis and losing all of your items.

Er, no. They can call it whatever they want, but in software development terms, it's technically 'retail/released'. Like Bill mentioned, he was stretching the term 'beta' to its limits as is.

Basically, this is the developers lying about the state of the game and the fact that they need more funding to try to finish it.

Not true, just because you are buying the retail version and in return get access to the alpha it doesn't suddenly change the game to retail. They said themselves they want it to work like Minecraft in a way.

• SabbathSMCSabbathSMC Member Posts: 226

I have bene playing everyday since the first day. I agree there are issues but im still having fun, but i do run with 1-3 other people at a time. I have soloed and been ok and even got my loot into the safe zones without being whacked.

I have encountered hackers, I have seen zombies bugged out.(that seems to be fixed now,in the last 4 days not a single bugged out zombie)

I seem to find loot ok even a uzi m16 m4 and tons of shotguns and 9mm pistols. Plenty of back p acks to help carry what you find on the way.

I totaly agree the map is going to be way to small for  200-250 players and needs to be like 50-75 cap. and even that maybe a bit much, will just have to see when they get the rest of the map out there.

They also definately need to do something to discourage random pking as its rampant and everyone preetty much whacks you now for what ever reason.

But im still playing and still having fun.

played M59,UO,lineage,EQ,Daoc,Entropia,SWG,Horizons,Lineage2.EQ2,Vangaurd,Irth online, DarkFall,Star Trek
    and many others that did not make the cut or i just plain forgetting about.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

You can call it alpha, you can call it beta, you can call it whatever you want.  Basically there is a game to purchase and play and so I think it's fair to judge as is. All mmo release in a state of change and all make promises for the future, so how is TWZ state and other mmo differ other than their developers saying it's alpha/beta/whatever.

Complicating things is the pvp nature, and the world of cheats, aimbots, hacks, etc that are rampant in pvp games.  See APB if you need to refresh your memory.  This game will be killed off by the players and is probably not long for this world, though the idea of TWZ is compelling which is it's biggest draw.  But an idea is not enough; there must be skillful implementation, sufficient funding, and a sense of self preservation in game design that this game's devs lack.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by revy66
    Originally posted by eric_w66

Not true, just because you are buying the retail version and in return get access to the alpha it doesn't suddenly change the game to retail. They said themselves they want it to work like Minecraft in a way.

Semantics, you're paying for the game as it is now, since 'release' is some unknown date in the future containing an unknown set of features. Will you get a nice shiny box copy when 'release' happens? Somehow, I doubt it. If you do, then great, you paid for early access to a beta. Calling it an alpha is a joke however. Alpha's are internal for the most part, with beta being where 'friends and family' start to see it, and then expanding from there.

Where I work (and develop), we don't charge people for 'beta's' (we're happy they're willing to test possibly buggy software, and they're happy they get to have the change they wanted finally usable). Alphas are never used by anyone but the devs/testers. Sure, these are business applications, but hey, the terms apply.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    The only thing with the game I have a real issue with is the respawn timer.  I dont care about losing my stuff, or getting it destroyed/degraded, or having to respawn really far away with no reasonable way back to try to recover my items, thats part of the survival feel........I just want to be able to play when I want.
  • daisdais Member UncommonPosts: 95

I used to be really excited about this game, and I actually pre-purchased it yesterday and gave it a try for about 10 hours.  That said however I am already trying to get a refund (made a ticket, waiting to hear back).  If you are someone interested in this genre I would advise to hold off and at least see how the stand-alone Day Z game is going to be.  I played Day Z first and I really enjoyed it, so when I heard about War Z being an MMO-style zombie apocalypse type game I was thrilled.  The giant red flags that I am already seeing are listed below.  Also keep in mind this is not a Day Z vs War Z post, although I will make comparisons for those that haven't tried War Z yet. This is just what I see wrong in War Z (DayZ has tons of issues too)

1)Hacking is extremely out of control.  Back in August Sergey their Executive Producer said they had all but squashed all hacks.  Here is his exact quote 

"We've fixed speedhacks, teleports, and people who basically kill players from other side of the map first. We also have fixed all small hacks like setting spread for guns to zero, negating effects of recoil, etc.

We've added layer of defense by running part of the client in safest low level "ring" of windows, encrypting memory areas - ie making it's extremely hard to create new hacks.

And it worked ! We basically emilinated all major game ruining hacks."

This is totally wrong.  Speed hacks/teleport hacks/shoot through walls, these all exist and are being abused.  Just read their forums.  Also they are pretty quick to lock any thread discussing them as if they don't exist.  I personally was killed numerous times by players teleporting around.  This is a huge issue in a FFA pvp game with full loot, not to mention if you buy something in the cash shop you can lose it to a hacker that one shots you through a wall.  No refund have a nice day.  This is my #1 reason for wanting a refund, if they can't stop this it will destroy the game.

2) There are a lot of features that have been promised by the developers, but until I see them in game I won't hold my breath.  Fool me once sort of a thing, game companies do this all the time.  As of right now there are no Strongholds, no player missions, no skill customization, etc.  Right now the game plays just like Day Z, which is not a big deal in and of itself, except these are features that are hyped by the developers that aren't in the game yet, and it's supposed to go live very soon.

3)Zombies are kind of a joke and are more a nuisance than anything.  In Day Z you tried to avoid zombies, but fought if you had to.  In this game once you get the most basic melee weapon (hammer) you pretty much just walked right up to the zombies and bashed their brains in, and once you get guns it's ridiculous.  Don't get me wrong, that's fun the first few times, but it quickly turns into a game with zero challenge from the environment.  The real challenge comes from other players, and unfortunately that just means this is a FPS with a zombie theme.  This also sucks for reasons #1 and #4.

4) There is zero incentive to be friendly to other players or to help them.  There is a reputation system in game that labels you as either a Bandit, Neutral, or Lawman.  The vast majority of players are Neutral, meaning they haven't killed other players *YET*.  Let me describe the levels:

Lawman - You only shoot Bandits, and never shoot Neutrals or other Lawmen.  The two problems with this is there is no visual indication on who is a Bandit and who isn't.  There aren't nameplates (yet), and there is no mask/glow/etc that would give away the person you are looking at is evil.  So your only recourse is to assume they are neutral and ignore them.  This means if they are a Bandit they will just shoot you first, or if they are Neutral they still might shoot you first.  Even if you get the jump on them you can't shoot, even if it's clear they are running at you with the intention to kill you there still isn't anything you can do except let them shoot first before you can defend yourself.

Neutral - The vast majority of players fall into this category.  If you are new you automatically fall into this category.  Also if you shoot at everyone you eventually kill enough bandits to increase your reputation back to Neutral.  Neutral means Lawmen can't touch you, so if you find a "good guy" that's clearly well armed and has lots of good gear you can literally walk right up to him and head shot him with your POS pistol you found and take all of his equipment.  Honestly this restriction is the biggest problem with this system.  Bandit/Lawman is clear enough to deal with, but the Neutrals throw the whole thing out of balance because you cannot defend yourself against this tactic.

Bandit - Unfortunately as you wise up to the system and defend yourself against everyone including Neutrals you will eventually find yourself with this label.  Now you are the "bad guy" because you shoot first and ask questions later.  The game has already devolved into that mentality so 90% of the time if you see another player expect a shootout.  They may actually be friendly players, but they have to assume you are a bad guy too so rather than lose all of their equipment they will just shoot at you and not risk it.

There are still some good things about this game, but honestly they really need to address these issues or they will hemorrhage players.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    I enjoyed it with a friend for limited time I had. By far it can use fixes and additions but at the same tines I'm willing for wiggle room.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by revy66

I can call a tomato a grapefruit but that does not make it a grapefruit.  If you could find me a definition of "alpha game" that includes charging full price to get in and involves allowing all paying customers to get in, I would say we could have a decent argument.  Sadly, all you have is the developer calling it an alpha.  The developer can call it whatever they wish but a tomato is still a tomato, even if they call it a grapefruit.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• yorkforceyorkforce Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Thanks for all the comments, I was going to give it a try but I think ill pass on this one, sounds like a great game if there were some kind of controls in place to make sure it isnt just a kiddie spawn killing game with zero immersion but alas, from the article and the comments it seems they have bigger problems to deal with.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Between warZ and DayZ, I'm going to go with the first one that gives me a godamn autorun keymap ...seriously.

Joined - July 2004

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Beermangler
    Would be awesome if you'd turn into a zombie and and play one, if bitten and not healed.

I suggested this about six months ago on here when someone asked how a zombie MMO could play,

If you die as a player from zombie attack you wake up as zombie and need to kill players to survive, when the zombie dies you can restart / resume a player character. You could even be a zombie Mob boss, where several NPc zombies aggro on your target and follow you round.

with leader boards for both Zombie and Player for time survived in game it would be immense.

• SabbathSMCSabbathSMC Member Posts: 226
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Between warZ and DayZ, I'm going to go with the first one that gives me a godamn autorun keymap ...seriously.

LOL yeah seriously this is a m uch needed feature they should add.

played M59,UO,lineage,EQ,Daoc,Entropia,SWG,Horizons,Lineage2.EQ2,Vangaurd,Irth online, DarkFall,Star Trek
    and many others that did not make the cut or i just plain forgetting about.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    So the game is in a completely unfinished and moderately playble state and not worth paying for yet. Got it. Will check back in several months.
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

So let me get this straight I have to pay these guys money to respawn when I die or log off for an hour?

And this seems to make sense to all of you?  Wow we have so lost our way.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Its a wait and see for me. The Day Z mod was prertty good fun initially and then It started to feel like a massive timesink.
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by dais

1)Hacking is extremely out of control. 

This is why I'm waiting for the standalone DayZ game coming out in December. Well, that among other things but, DayZ is going to have entirely server-side checks which will remove hacking from the equation.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    Originally posted by Mesfenlir

Sadly the game is full of inmature players (prefer not to use another term) that find joy in killing unarmed players with assault rifles and stuff...

No thanks, I am too old for this.

Welcome to open world pvp games, this is exactly why they always fail, the gaming community is too immature to handle a open world game the way its supposed to be.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• Arcondo87Arcondo87 Member Posts: 94
    this game is horrible and NOT addictive at all...has no survival aspect to it and the Devs are currupt. I dont knwo what all the game companies played post alpha but this game is FAR from stable and should have not been released into alpha.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Astropuyo

I'm with Remy on this, even the writers here do the EXACT SAME THING as the average "kiddo" mindset does, shoot people first hope for the best next.

The community truly turned this into a pile of crap death match kill fest. Day 1: Was awesome.

Day 2: I stuck it through even though the tone changed.

Day 3: It turned into this.

Now everyone can say that's what FFA games are all about, and I'll agree.

Except for the fact that you know the intention never was full on hardcore spawn camp pvp.

It was to add realism, if this is how people would be at the end of the world then I'm a money''s uncle on cocaine.

I don't think it makes much sense to blame the community.  It's just the way the game is designed.  I've seen plenty of people argue that it is just a PvP shooter, and people complaining about getting killed in such a game are just crazy.  It's hard to say they're wrong, when the gameplay itself really doesn't give any indication to the contrary. 

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.