Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there a possibility that the MMO community can be 100% in an agrement. this game rocks?

2»

Comments

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    I moan about anything. Even if it is good! ( I am part of the in crowd )
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Nope. Impossible. Everyone likes different things and dislikes different things. Don't even bother trying to appeal to everyone unless you have a mass mind control machine handy.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

No.  But I think that's a good thing.  I really like variety.  If everybody agreed on "the formula" then we wouldn't see any variety.

Not to mention that many features are mutally exclusive.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177
    There are too many conflicting tastes in gaming in general to have a game that could appease a large portion of them.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    I don't believe so. And so what? I think that's kind of what makes the genre so interesting. We're all looking for different things and this particular genre has the potential to serve the interests of different subsets of users. Developers trying to hit all the right notes for everyone at once are on a fool's errand, in my opinion, and are likely to shoot themselves in the foot. Knowing your audience and building your game for them is important.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I think a large part of it is also just a fundamental quality issue.  MMOs are much more difficult to make than SP games, so they haven a tendency to be weak in comparison.  Often glaringly so, in some ways.  It's a hard thing to let slide.

I've often wondered if they'd be more popular if they set the bar lower.  Especially in terms of graphics.  Then they might not be forced to cut corners everywhere else, which leads to so much disappointment and complaining.

Afterall.. that is pretty much exactly what WoW did.  The graphics were years behind the curve so that they could make sure it was a polished and complete game, in every other way.  Not for everyone, but not glaringly flawed like almost every other MMO, either.  Course it still gets a lot of flak, especially here.. but that's now.  Back in 2004?  Not so much.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Its the mmo community sure, but in general that's human nature.  One mans trash is another mans treasure. 

The world is, if nothing else, is full of variety and that includes people and their tastes.  Mmorpgs aside, there's not a single thing in existence that everyone will think is good or decent.  So it's no surprise regarding games. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Afterall.. that is pretty much exactly what WoW did.  The graphics were years behind the curve so that they could make sure it was a polished and complete game, in every other way.

No, they just used an art design inspired by Warcraft III.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Afterall.. that is pretty much exactly what WoW did.  The graphics were years behind the curve so that they could make sure it was a polished and complete game, in every other way.

No, they just used an art design inspired by Warcraft III.

I know, 2004 was a long time ago, and its hard to remember.. but I'm not talking about aesthetics or design style.  WoW is extremely low poly and low texture res, compared to other games that released around that time.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    Complaining makes some people happy unfortunetly.