Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Pirate 101: Review in Progress #1 – Character Creation & First Steps

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

KingsIsle released Pirate101 a few weeks ago. We've been playing Pirate101 and will be spending the next few weeks talking about some of our experiences in the game. This week, we take a look at the earliest steps in the game. See what we've discovered so far and then let us know what you think in the comments.

As a game that caters to a pretty specific audience, namely the ‘tween’ crowd and families, Pirate101, like its predecessor, has a certain onus placed on it to be intuitive and simple for kids to pick up and play. It’s not to say that P101 is a kids-ONLY title. It is not and, as time will show, has a surprising amount of depth to it. But even so-saying, it’s imperative that the target demographic to be able to figure out what’s going on when first entering the game.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Pirate101: Review in Progress #1 – Character Creation & First Steps.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

I have played Pirate 101 since head start and I really enjoy it for what it is. I always loved games like FFTactics and Shining Force so this game feels comfortable in the respect. I found the crown shop prices to be a bit too high but I haven't as yet found anything in the shop i felt i HAD to buy. The stories(quests) are nice and there are a lot of funny pop culture references for example early on you get a quest from the Marquis Mark(monkey race) who sends you off to search for his funky bunch of bananas that were stolen, lol.

I see room for a lot of improvement and i have no doubt that improvements are coming. IMO the game is great..it wont fill your general mmo needs but it is a fun casual side game fit for any age.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Having played Wizard 101 from day one, I found that Kings Isle was the kind of company that really cared about it's audience when it came to making a fun kid-friendly game. Pirate 101 has the same kinda feel when it comes to being kid-friendly and entertaining for families. I have to agree with pretty much everyting that Mrs. Ford said in her review of the game. I like the way the game looks, but the hand to hand combat still feels really rough and can be very confusing when you have more than 2 people fighting together. It's really hard to keep track of who is who as well as who your guys are when most characters and allies in combat look very much the same in the beginning. Also I wasn't even ingame for more than 15-20 minutes before I had over a dozen questionable words and phrases popping up in conversation box that should have been filitering out profanity ingame. The worlds look very beautiful and colorful in the same way that Wizard 101 worlds looked, with each area and world having a distinct style and flavor which makes exploring a blast. While I've liked the game so far, it's already obvious that the game needs some TLC still when it comes to the combat and the way that they filter out the profanity and the questionable phrases that seem to get past the filters.

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

Over the next few weeks, we’ll be taking a look at several key components of Pirate101.

Must have been a nice check KingsIsle sent over. Don't know why we need weeks and weeks of coverage when this isn't really the target demograpic but I understand. 

Yeah at it's core the game has those FFT elements that fans of that genre enjoy. Some of the design is a little flawed though. Your shooters cannot shoot over anything that is label an obsctruction so even things like a hole are a no go(maybe gravity is at work or something else).

The humor is good and so far with the sub, doesn't seem to be anything needed to buy but if you are against a P2W type format seeing everything on sale like including in game gold and powerful items might be a little off putting. It shouldn't be too bad until they introduce PvP or other Player competitions. Most of the stuff is impulse buys for kids for stuff that "looks cool". If you want extra companions outside your class arc they are about 10-15 dollars each(5-6k crowns)  so it can add up.

They have a sale for a 12 month sub for 60 bucks right now and also a 90 dollar bundle that gives 12 months or 60k crowns and a bunch of in game items. I purchased the 12 month bundle and it the companion, mount and items it gives aren't bad. You get this little bird that can crap on people but does a lot of damage. 

Like the poster above said for adults this probably won't be your main game but if you want something to bond with your kids over or want a game to waste 1-2 hours on each day, it fits the bill.

Also don't believe them when they say F2P. This game is not F2P in any ways shape or form. It is a B2P/Cash Shop game with a limited free trial. After level 8 or so you will have to pay one way or another to progress in the game.  You are charged by the chapter of your story or forced to sub, there is no way around it. The next zone is blocked off for non-payers. Just a heads up for anyone curious. 

Still not a bad game for what it is and the full VA and stories are fun. I personally like anything with the Frogfather in it.

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by DashiDMV

Must have been a nice check KingsIsle sent over. Don't know why we need weeks and weeks of coverage when this isn't really the target demograpic but I understand.

That isn't necessary when you have no proof of misconduct. If you look at past posts about Pirate 101 it has generated a decent amount of discussion in the MMORPGcom community. If anything I would like to see more lengthy indepth coverage of games.

• mordaki987mordaki987 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    the thing is pirate101, wizard101 and pirates of the caribbean online are all doing one thing that i am totally against and opposed to.  and that single thing is they say that they are free to play yet they charge a monthly subscription fee for unlimited access to in game content.  that to me is just wrong.  if ai game is going to be free to play then all in game content should be free to play and the way that they make their revenue is through a cash shop.  but what do kings isle entertainement and disney do they give limited access to in game content and charge a monthly subscription to be able to play the game to its fullest. let me think NO!  thats not the way a free to play game should be.  but would i be able to make any kind of change to that just by stating the obvious to other players and the company alike probably not.  at any rate you can get about as far as level 8 before they start charging you either crowns their form of cash shop menyh or by becoming a member and paying a monthly subscription.
  • AranisusAranisus Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I don't like this game :/ Magic 101 is better in some way (maybe because this fantasy climate?).
  • Arkangel32Arkangel32 Member UncommonPosts: 83

I cant decide if I want to buy the Broochbeard bundle or not!

Fun game, love the whole game mechanic and combat style.  I forces you to think things through.  I cannot help but wonder if I will get bored before a year is up.  My daughter loves to watch me play, and its clean so I don't have to worry about her watching.  It is a plus she can eventually play it.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I really like this game. I dont like it as much as i do Wiz101 at this point, but I like it alot and it's growing on me daily.

• JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Well I wouldn't spend the money on being a Crown Access Member as Mr. Lincoln, one of the developers on Wizard 101 made it very clear last year in the community forums that Crown Players are no better then Free players when it comes to the they will be treated by the company since neither spend money to support the game long term. It created quite a stur within the Wizard 101 community as Crown players pay more in the long run than Sub members do for the same game access but they get less ingame benefits than Sub members get. Unfortunatly I was one of those "Crown Members" who signed up and started playing the game from Day 1 and never knew that my money wasn't as good as a subscribers until Mr. Lincoln pointed it out to me and a few million other Crown players in Wizard 101.
  • TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839

Coming from a hard-core gamer who used to play WoW, EQ2, VG, and DAoC, I, ironically, really enjoy this game lol. I had played Wizard 101 up to about level 30ish, did the PvP, destroyed people with that one balance spell that is based on pips (forgot its name already), felt it was too easy, then went on to Rift... Now this comes out, and it's more than just a dinky card game that was actually pretty good. I figured "hey, there's combat and strategy now, so let's give it a go." Coming into it without all the expectations, I was pretty taken by surprise, enough so that I won't be buying the Rift expansion, but playing this instead. No shame in my gaming lol; a great game is a great game regardless of its target demographic.

Isaiah 41:10
  • MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Having a very hard time staying interested and motivated to play this game.  Unlike Wizard101 with crafting, pet managing, gardening, pvp, etc - there is not much to do here except quest endlessly.  And unfortunately, I find questing to not be very fun since the battles in this game can take FOREVER to get through.  Literally, if you enter a battle with  a few other players it is not uncommon in the slightest for it to last anywhere from 10-20 minutes.  Even a battle with no other players is almost always close to 5 minutes in length.  Also, there just isn't really much to do.  The only thing that they brought over from Wizard 101 is housing and the mini games.  Besides that any other extra game systems that can be a good time diversion and break from questing (gardening, pet management, pvp, crafting, etc) is not here.  And there are no extra game systems exclusive to Pirate 101 either that would make sense (treasure hunting, etc).

All in all to me it's a bit disappointing.  Especially since the game's subscription model is very gimmicky in my eyes as well.  You have to pay a subscription or buy lands and then on top of that the crown shop is filled to the brim with items that you cannot get in game and that do make your character better and more powerful.

• UrgokUrgok Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Margulis

Having a very hard time staying interested and motivated to play this game.  Unlike Wizard101 with crafting, pet managing, gardening, pvp, etc - there is not much to do here except quest endlessly.  

Wizard101 didn't release with many of the extras (like pets and gardening).  KI is always adding new parts to Wizard101 and will be doing the same with Pirate101.  Right now I'm having a lot of fun questing and down the road I know new content will be coming.  As for Free to Play, I never see any game as free.  F2P to me means I can play enough to see what the game is like (demo).  If I like it, I'm happy to set aside $10-15 a month for it; as I did with Pirate101.  It would be nice though to get rid of the F2P term.  it's rarely accurate for most games that claim to be free.

• antilegitantilegit Member UncommonPosts: 20
    pirate101 was interesting but I ran out of content in a week.

the difficulty was way too low. i was able to solo all but 3 quests.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Wizardy and Pirate 101 both shouldn't even be labled free..

Be honest about it, or explicitly state all the limitations and the need to shell out cash in them..

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    lol you ran out of a content in a week??  Can anyone say Troll!  KI confirmed the first person to finish all the content took a little over a month longer than that and the person averaged 18 hours of gameplay a day during that time.  You antilegit just got caught in a lie.
  • SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by Kenze

I have played Pirate 101 since head start and I really enjoy it for what it is. I always loved games like FFTactics and Shining Force so this game feels comfortable in the respect. I found the crown shop prices to be a bit too high but I haven't as yet found anything in the shop i felt i HAD to buy. The stories(quests) are nice and there are a lot of funny pop culture references for example early on you get a quest from the Marquis Mark(monkey race) who sends you off to search for his funky bunch of bananas that were stolen, lol.

I see room for a lot of improvement and i have no doubt that improvements are coming. IMO the game is great..it wont fill your general mmo needs but it is a fun casual side game fit for any age.

You cant continue the quest line and you are restricted to the first world map, to continue you need to use crown or sub. This is not F2P, this is a limited trial.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Heh, the want something for nothing crowd made some comments. That said, I left Rift to play Pirates101. Am fully enjoying it. I subbed and will support KI on its quest of making truly good games.

As to my character, he is doing very well. Got a frigate. Finishing up my Monquista quests. Have a couple back near Skull Island. Am ready for my next venture to Valencia!

I reccomend this game for anyone who wants something fresh and new. Also its good to subscribe. Get full access and dont have to mess with the players who have no interest in seeing what this title really offers.

Also to note.. MY BULL SAMOORAI KICKS BUTT!

Pirate101 Mooshu Samoorai ROCK!
  • KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    Originally posted by Silok

You cant continue the quest line and you are restricted to the first world map, to continue you need to use crown or sub. This is not F2P, this is a limited trial.

I can subscribe and still never HAVE to buy anything from the cash shop. Just like most newer F2p games

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

Originally posted by xpowderx

Heh, the want something for nothing crowd made some comments. That said, I left Rift to play Pirates101. Am fully enjoying it. I subbed and will support KI on its quest of making truly good games.

As to my character, he is doing very well. Got a frigate. Finishing up my Monquista quests. Have a couple back near Skull Island. Am ready for my next venture to Valencia!

I reccomend this game for anyone who wants something fresh and new. Also its good to subscribe. Get full access and dont have to mess with the players who have no interest in seeing what this title really offers.

Why the flame? people here are just saying the truth, this game is label f2p but its not.. its a limited trial + sub + cash shop. Dont assume you know what people want and stop the flaming.

I can subscribe and still never HAVE to buy anything from the cash shop. Just like most newer F2p games

This is the key word here, most game like lotro, AOC and soon swotor are not f2p, there are sub game with the possiblity to play a limited part of the game for free + a cash shop to unlock things. So my statement before are still the truth.

If you dont sub you cant play much. Real f2p games with cash shop like perfect world, are really f2p. Of course if you dont use the cash shop you will have to grind like hell but still there is no limits to the game world and story.

• b003b003 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Was gonna play this then my Atlantica account got fixed.

Why the flame? people here are just saying the truth, this game is label f2p but its not.. its a limited trial + sub + cash shop. Dont assume you know what people want and stop the flaming.

Who is flaming.. That comment is more of a forethought. Never really flamed anyone with it. Now of course if you were offended by it. Then perhaps its a personal issue you should deal with.  Not here.

By the way Silok, how do you like Pirate101? Find anything cool when you play it? I personally find some pretty cool stuff. Valencia is fun so far!

Who is flaming.. That comment is more of a forethought. Never really flamed anyone with it. Now of course if you were offended by it. Then perhaps its a personal issue you should deal with.  Not here.

By the way Silok, how do you like Pirate101? Find anything cool when you play it? I personally find some pretty cool stuff. Valencia is fun so far!

Your comment was flaming, if you cant see why maibe its you who have some personal issue. You see what i just did there? That flaming too, i attack you (of course like you did first) and insult your sanity.

I was not offended, but begin a post by assuming that everyone who talk about how this game is not F2P, are people that want everything for free isnot very cool. How can you start an argument like that?

Now for your other question, like i did say in another post, this game is cool, i like the combat and the companions, and the pirates theme.

Its a cool little game to play casualy, still there is some truth about the payment model that people should be aware, that what people here has stated.