Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphically speaking which game is best (opinion poll)

Comments

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

i voted for gw2 because they are going for realism more then WoW..

still surprised noone voted for WoW yet. In their fantasy style the graphics are nice, more realistic and it would lose the WoW-feel.

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by timeraider

i voted for gw2 because they are going for realism more then WoW..

Those are...the only two you considered?

Brings up a side point op--not many people are qualified to take your poll (= evaluated every game on that list).  Or even, you know, more than a couple.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    TSW has some nice graphics. 
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    I voted for AoC, I also like Vanguard and Warcrafts graphics, but for me AoC is tops.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    The Secret World is my favorite as far as graphics and art are concerned.  Too bad it wasn't a choice on the poll.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

TSW is technically the best out there.. and i also like the art style.. that and Age of conan..

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

FFXIV > Gw2=TERA imo

Talking GFX of course

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Xasapis
    Only because most developers use a miniscule of the DX11 capabilities (mostly what has to do with water).

Do you have to be a working artist to value art style above "utilizes the latest DX gimmicks"?

I mean, Photoshop adds new tools/filters every year...but any work that tried to incorporate every one would be pretty hideous.

And the game design world has sported some pretty hideous GPU-driven 'trends'.  DarkityDarkyDark, BloomOverload, ParticleShowersEverywhere?

It's a classic rookie programmer mistake to try to utilize every feature of a framework / toolkit / library simply because it's there.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Xasapis
    Only because most developers use a miniscule of the DX11 capabilities (mostly what has to do with water).

Do you have to be a working artist to value art style above "utilizes the latest DX gimmicks"?

I mean, Photoshop adds new tools/filters every year...but any work that tried to incorporate every one would be pretty hideous.

And the game design world has sported some pretty hideous GPU-driven 'trends'.  DarkityDarkyDark, BloomOverload, ParticleShowersEverywhere?

After playing a game that fully utilises tesselation, it's hard going back to a game that doesn't. Armor, clothes etc, just don't feel "real" enough. We've certainly moved away from the days of painted textures on top of avatars (see WoW), but very few use the tools to the other extreme (well, with today's standards anyway), where you can tell that this is nylon jacket and not a leather one by just looking at it.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Voted other because TSW beats all of those listed easily. Not sure why these polls are made when they aren't even the top selections to choose from.

You stay sassy!

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

Tsw hands down....

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Xirik

Man people don't know how to read in this thread. or someone really thinks darkfall has the best graphics O_o

And some people don't know the definition of 'opinion'.

---

TSW for me. I have a high-end system and with the settings turned all the way up, it's stunning.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

The Secret World. With a good system, the details really pop. Dawn in Kingsmouth is nostalgia-inducing.

http://deadendthrills.com/

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Age of Conan still looks the best to me. I like the realistic style.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Tera has the best polygon graphics but GW2 takes the cake art style wise for me.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Jaedor

The Secret World. With a good system, the details really pop. Dawn in Kingsmouth is nostalgia-inducing.

I think TSW's modern setting gives me an Uncanny Valley reaction.

I just can't stand it and think people are crazy for believing the game has good graphics.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    FFXIV Reborn
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I just can't stand it and think people are crazy for believing the game has good graphics.

I am not playing TSW now (did not like it in Beta + don't agree with putting even cosmetic CS in sub game) but it graphics were very good.   Point when uncanny valley effect start is very difftent amonst difftrent people.  Besides graphics there are also stylzed (althrough only a little).    What was bad is character faces althrough I heard they did give more options some times after release.

I don't think it has best graphics in mmorpg world but it is good graphics.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Thing with gw2, it almost has very nice graphics, but then it breaks it with 2 things.

The annoying console style fov / camera that sends you dizzy

Those god awful flat low res ground textures
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Voted Tera as best combination of character and environment.  AOC was my first thought solely for environment, but falls short on character.

GW2 art just feels off for me.  I can't nail down why.

Note: I'm assuming graphics refers to overall visual presentation, not specifically to bleeding edge rendering effects or art style.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • CalkrowCalkrow Member UncommonPosts: 92
    The Secret World
    Forum Post count does not = Game Intelligence or Knowledge  it just shows how often people like to talk.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Liking or not liking the art style and implementation has nothing to do with the actual graphics. That is defined by technical parameters which are quantified. In that case TSW world is superior to most other mmos.

I can't stand the style of certain mmos as well but I do not say their graphics suck. I also like the look and feel of older mmos over some newer ones but do not pretend that they are graphically superior.

What people are used to playing also heavily affects their opinion. I've heard so many times (and even experience it myself) from Wow players that they can barely play other mmos because they neither feel nor look right. This is entirely due to the countless hours of playing Wow. I was completely used to playing Asherons Call for years but if I go back now I can barely play it or stand how to play it because I have gotten used to other games. Even new games take a little getting used to but once many hours have been played even the most distracting games become second nature or even liked.

You stay sassy!

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I'm on mobile so I can't vote yet but I'm assuming FF14 is there and would be my vote. Not for a subjective artstyle reason, though I'm a fan in that regard, but strictly from texturing and realism. Unmatched IMO.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Am going for eve aswell.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Those god awful flat low res ground textures

I think once average graphics cards are 4+ gigs af ram we'll see engines do better with terrains.  Hi-res paint with spec and normals on huge zones eats a ton of ram.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.