Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Player Friendly?

ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176
I am going to give Eve a try because I want something different and the visuals look beautiful. I am told it has a steep learning curve but that they recently made it more "newbie friendly". Is this true? and are there any guilds that help new players? Anything I should be wary of? Thank you for your time.

Comments

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Sort of yes and no.  I'd say do the tutorials and look up info when you need to.  Keep an eye on the rookie help channel as you do so.  There are plenty of corporations(guilds) in eve that will help you out, eve university is probably the best.  But there are also corps that will take advantage of your noob status:).  In eve it may be a good idea to be wary of everything:);

As to being more newbie friendly now it will depend upon your definition of that.  I never had any trouble getting going but others did.  I do wonder how many of those thought along the lines of I don't need tutorials, then spamming rookie help with how do i fly/dock/attack etc., though.

• Species5021Species5021 Member Posts: 44

I haven't played the start of the game in a long while, because god knows altism in eve will really kill you haha. But! I have heard that the new player experience has improved by a considerable margin. They teach you things now that are actually important in the game later.

There are dozens of corps (corporations are the guilds of eve) that help new players but a fair percentage of those are just out for money. Join Eve University when you start playing, there probably is not a better player helping corporation in existence. I had a bit more hardcore start when i started out but i have played alongside them and have heard only great things. We had a great war against them with Red versus Blue, getting the record for biggest highsec fight!

You will start out playing the new player tutorial, while doing those and maybe some level 1 missions after you should start the application process with eve uni. Because getting in isnt hard, but it does take time. I think the wait time is around a day maybe two. Don't be discouraged by this though, you will have plenty to do in the mean time and its really worth it when you get in and start doing things with the corp itself.

Not a lot to be wary off, mind you train skills in real time so level 1 skills take around 20 minutes, level 2 about an hour and a half, 3 maybe 6, 4 from a day to 4 max, and 5 from a week to almost 20 days or more.

Generally level 4 is fine at the start, you will start with skills and a ship, and at the start (weve all been here) you will have a hard time fitting things on it, you will miss shots a lot, the range will be terrible but that all gets better in time. Just roll with it!

And be prepared to take in a LOT of info, text galore in eve.

I could probably write a 5000 word story about eve how to start, what to avoid, what to mind and all that and i would have just barely gotten started.

It takes time, and patience but with some good people it all becomes a lot easier!

• ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176

I appreciate both of the responses! THank you.

So far.. very lost. I warped somewhere I shouldn't have, and then I couldn't find the 'Agent Locator' or something to start the mission. 

So, back in there for round 2 lol :). VERY pretty game though even if I am too dumb to figure it out :p

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

Initially yes, but at an advanced level it's about as solo friendly as attacking a large Taliban stronghold armed only with a bent fork.

It is for a lot of the basic stuff and there's months and months of fun in the basic stuff in my experience until it can eventually get a bit repetitive. I came back recently after not playing for about 5 years and was pleased to see they had introduced nice tutorials for all the professions which are fun to play through and learn. Overall it has a very steep learning curve but that is part of its charm imo. Then when you get out into the universe it's all good as long as you stick to high sec space for missions. As you progress however, making more money or tackling higher level missions requires you  go to less and less safe areas. And that can be utterly ruthless if ill prepared solo. The best advice I can give is :

1. Stick to high sec areas till you've mastered the game and have finished the basic certifications for what profession you plan to follow. You will get an idea of what profession/activity you like the most by completing ALL the tutorials (which I highly recommend). Ensure you have set the option for only planning routes through high sec areas btw.

2. When/if you plan to venture outside high sec (when you want to earn more money or you've reached the level of missions that require you to pass through low sec areas) make sure you're low sec savvy, read extensively online about how to survive in low sec. It has tips like never use autopilot in low sec, always 'jump to gate' or else you warp in far enough from the jump with your ass sticking out to be shot by gate campers etc. I lost a few extremely expensive ship before I did this and was utterly demoralised to the point of quitting more than once. If you do buy an expensive ship (more than a decent percentage of your ISK) make sure you ensure it! The most important maxim in Eve is: 'do not fly what you can't afford to lose'.

3. Join a corp if you plan to do more than carebear stuff (actually if can be very hepful if you have people willing to help you out and explain things early on...unless you prefer the fun of reading up and discovering for yourself). I didn't at all as I was mainly doing exploration but then I did get murdered a lot till I learned not to do stupid things. 

Eve is not for everyone but it does have a few months of play in it even if it turns out not to be your thing in the long term and it is time well spent imo. Play a trial and soak up as much as possible in that time to determine if you feel it's for you before you spend money. 

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by ashleymorrow
    I am going to give Eve a try because I want something different and the visuals look beautiful. I am told it has a steep learning curve but that they recently made it more "newbie friendly". Is this true? Kinda, just don't expect the game to hold our hands, you have to think yourself actually. and are there any guilds that help new players? Yes, just don't ask for guilds if you want to be taken seriously in there. :) Anything I should be wary of? Don't fly what you can't afford to lose, if a deal sounds too good, it probably is. Thank you for your time.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176
    OK, sloooowwwly getting the hang of the basics. Love the environments. Wish there were more clothing choices for the avatars.
  • CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455
    OK, sloooowwwly getting the hang of the basics. Love the environments. Wish there were more clothing choices for the avatars.

Cute image Considering the WiS-part is just a big dress up play, I guess you have a point.

Hit me a message if you want to blow some stuff up some day.  Good luck in EVE!

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    I am going to give Eve a try because I want something different and the visuals look beautiful. I am told it has a steep learning curve but that they recently made it more "newbie friendly". Is this true? and are there any guilds that help new players? Anything I should be wary of? Thank you for your time.

EVE is very friendly to the right kind of newbie.

If you go into EVE and try and play it like WORLD OF GENERIC LOBBY RAIDS ONLINE, you're going to crash and burn.

If you go into EVE with a blank slate of preconceptions, don't worry about "hitting level cap", don't fret about what you can't do and instead, focus on doing what you can do, and you're the kind of person that likes to find out how complex stuff works, plus you make making long term plans, then starting EVE will be like coming home for you.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Do the tutorial if you want.

I'd strongly suggests you join 'EVE-UNI' though; http://www.eveuniversity.org/

They are a player run corp (think of it like a 'Guild') that focuses on giving new players a place to learn with lots of free stuff.

Funny thing is that since so many people learned EVE-Online from that corp and moved on, no one will grief them.

Well some try and find out why it is not such a great idea to grief an alliance that 30k people learned EVE from.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Volenibblets

Initially yes, but at an advanced level it's about as solo friendly as attacking a large Taliban stronghold armed only with a bent fork.

Lol, that made me laugh. It's also completely true :)

Where's the any key?

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

If it's any help(and if you haven't found it yet:)) the help menu(left side or f12 i think) should get you a list of the tutorial windows that pop up if you missed or need to reread any of them and also has a link to the career agents.

Hopefully they'll do more work on the avatars etc after dust gets released.

• FastSlothFastSloth Member Posts: 132

The people in the rookie help channel are usually very helpful too as long as they understand your question.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

Truth be told, when I started the game I was expecting it to be much harder than it was. After doing all of the tutorials, I basically knew how to do all of the activities in the game. I obviously wasn't an expert in anything, but I knew the basics of most of the activities. First thing I did was take the 4 mill isk that you make from the tutorials, and headed to Jita for some station trading. I turned that 4 mill into 50 mill and then went back to Gallente space to start doing missions. My advice would be to pick the activity that most interests you, and stick with it for awhile. It's really not a hard game to learn. 

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by FastSloth

The people in the rookie help channel are usually very helpful too as long as they understand your question.

Rookie help is the most amazing thing ever for eve.  My recommendation is actually go through all the tutorials (and read them even though it may be more work) before asking though because a lot of the more common basic questions are answered in that.  Not to mention it's easy money.

Although if you have already decided a path to follow finding a corp that's in that niche is even more helpful for getting you going.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by jpnz

Do the tutorial if you want.

I'd say doing tutorial is mandatory.

Or if I put it differently - if you can't follow tutorial, if you find it borring or you're simply too lazy, than there's a very very high chance you won't stick to EvE past trial time.

There is a lot to read and learn, and tutorial even if somewhat long it's still just a glimpse into the universe and more importantly it gives basic informations which you will find yourself asking around anyway.

Oh and it's actualy some nice money for a newb, much better than anything else you can do solo at beginning.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Once you feel at home trough all the menu's and have learned to locate agents / systems and how to buy smart from the auction (1 or 2 weeks to learn that)

Tip 1: Read guides about anything you can find, start with:

Resistance versus damage types

Griefing and how they want to bait you to make you lose your ship

Mining guides (if your into that)

What ships brings the most bang for you bucks and are cheap to replace

Tip 2: Never ever buy ships you cannot replace

Oh i made huge blunders with that one, bought myself the mighy Abadon to fly Level 4 missions and after doing 4 of them i got the famous (Worlds Colide) mission.
    I warped in and got warp scrambled and lost it 1 hour after i bought it.

that mistake costed me over 300 million

Tip 3:

Join a reliable corperation, do it, Eve solo = get bored within a month.
    There are players out there that love to help you get around and have spare isk to raise your funds.
    I played 3 months solo before i joined a corp and within 2 weeks i was able to spend 10x more ISK.

Tip 4: Fly safe.....prepare to lose your ship anytime you undock.
    Yes criminals and pirates have a free hand in Eve, when you fly solo you become a target.
    There are players out there spending hours and days to prey on the weak.
    Be prepared to lose ships and always have your ships nose to an instand warp exit when shit hits the fan.

o7 Have fun inthis fantastic mmo

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Mothanos

...bought myself the mighy Abadon to fly Level 4 missions and after doing 4 of them i got the famous (Worlds Colide) mission.

Everyone does this :)

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• KomandorKomandor Member Posts: 272
    ALMOST everyone I must note :)

Keep on rockin'!image

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

It is not new player friendly, you are prey. If you realize this and are prepared to lose everything at any time then undock ?

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • EleazarosEleazaros Member UncommonPosts: 206

I'll give you an old quote of mine that I actually used in game on about my second week playing...  3 or 4 of us were pulled out of the rookie help channel into a private channel with a couple "recuriters".  They offered each of us half a million or so isk each if we'd join up with their "new" corporation with a POS in lowsec - if we'd just come down to it to sign up.

I typed this into the channel, everyone lost it laughing -- none of us newbies went down there.

Think of yourself as a small child released into a park full of pedophiles. If anyone offers you anything that requires you to meet them, don't be surprised at what you actually get from the encounter.

Welcome to EVE online.  Pick your friends with care.  There are good groups in the game but trust is a tough thing to work with in this world.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

It's a decent game sure, just read ALL the tips when they pop up it helps! Also, what helps is Microsoft Excel, if you know how to use that , your laughing!

Originally posted by Malcanis
    Originally posted by Mothanos

...bought myself the mighy Abadon to fly Level 4 missions and after doing 4 of them i got the famous (Worlds Colide) mission.

Everyone does this :)

Or at least something akin to it...the very first Caldari Raven I ever got I took into a somewhat tougher L4 Drones mission (I forget which one) and I needed to warp out to recharge shields and rearm. I was in the middle of this complicated rock structure and kept bumping into the walls so I couldn't align to warp out. Ran out of cap for my shields, boom, one dead Raven. I was so pissed...Learned my lesson though, never did that again.

Where's the any key?

Originally posted by Eleazaros

I'll give you an old quote of mine that I actually used in game on about my second week playing...  3 or 4 of us were pulled out of the rookie help channel into a private channel with a couple "recuriters".  They offered each of us half a million or so isk each if we'd join up with their "new" corporation with a POS in lowsec - if we'd just come down to it to sign up.

I typed this into the channel, everyone lost it laughing -- none of us newbies went down there.

Think of yourself as a small child released into a park full of pedophiles. If anyone offers you anything that requires you to meet them, don't be surprised at what you actually get from the encounter.

Welcome to EVE online.  Pick your friends with care.  There are good groups in the game but trust is a tough thing to work with in this world.

:)  I might have to steal that one...

Where's the any key?

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    lol not new player friendly you have a ..waht  6 - 7 year weaker character then the first players. and the game is staling for a long time now. any time invested in Eve online is a real waiste at this point. its still a great game for olderplayers but mutch thanks to them the game does not have any real development anymore.  just ballance stuff, add  more stuff mainly that makes older players stronger and  copy / paste of game mechanics in a new shiny looking jacket.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Eladi
    lol not new player friendly you have a ..waht  6 - 7 year weaker character then the first players. and the game is staling for a long time now. any time invested in Eve online is a real waiste at this point. its still a great game for olderplayers but mutch thanks to them the game does not have any real development anymore.  just ballance stuff, add  more stuff mainly that makes older players stronger and  copy / paste of game mechanics in a new shiny looking jacket.

This is so far from true it's not even funny.  Sure you won't be flying a capital ship like they can but you can still participate in many things they do.  There is power in numbers and this why many corps don't have insane SP requirements.