Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: November State of the Game Published

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Star Trek Online site has been updated with the November edition of the State of the Game letter penned by Executive Producer Dan Stahl. The letter is jam packed with tons of exciting news including the impending arrival of Season 7: New Romulus, a new zone that allows players to assist Romulan leader D’Tan.

Overview

• Designed for max-level captains of both the Federation or Klingon Empire

• Zone challenges balanced for captains plus one away team member

• Earn Reputation tier to unlock full away-team missions to help uncover the planet’s troubled past

• Area events provide quick Reputation gains for cooperative groups

• Obtain new special rewards and gear sets as a benefit for aiding the people of New Romulus

Read the full letter on the Star Trek Online site.

Thanks, Rohn, for the tip!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Come on, Romulans.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Looks like some good changes, and Romulans!

Ill be dropping by to check things out :)

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    I check out STO every now and again. IMO it's the best F2P game out there where i can pay nothing and still have have tons of fun without a crapton of annoying restrictions. Yeah, your favorite ship being put in a lockbox is crappy but what can you do? Atari selling Cryptic to PW was the best thing to happen to STO and CO imo.
  • montinmontin Member Posts: 218
    I love STO, simply because it's f2p. I like many others pop into the game once in a while and have some fun and it doesn't cost me anything. So I'm excited about the upcoming additions to the game. And thanks to everybody that spends money on the game. You guys keep it running and let leechs like me play for free :)
  • Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233
    Originally posted by Sciva
    I check out STO every now and again. IMO it's the best F2P game out there where i can pay nothing and still have have tons of fun without a crapton of annoying restrictions. Yeah, your favorite ship being put in a lockbox is crappy but what can you do? Atari selling Cryptic to PW was the best thing to happen to STO and CO imo.

I agree, I hate to think of where STO would be now if it wasn't in the hands of PW and F2P. I'm a lifetime sub, and before they moved to F2P the population was dwindling at a rappid rate. Now that its F2P it has more people than most P2P games. You can't go anywhere outside of an instance and be alone in STO anymore, which for a MMO is a good thing.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    how is the f2p on sto? i checked it out a while ago, and i've been thinking about going back.
  • aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    was checking this game out since i have never tried it, well except for the trial version. my question is, is it possible to achieve everything in the game fully free? some people i asked tells me this game has become a pay to win game, and it kinda drifted me away. but even with the bad reports it's probably isn't as bad as swtors cartel shop and f2p model. anyways can anyone clarify with me if it is possible to achieve full endgame with the f2p model of the sto. also was wondering what am i restricted to with f2p model. who knows maybe i'll like the game and spend money on it.
    Originally posted by aligada87
    was checking this game out since i have never tried it, well except for the trial version. my question is, is it possible to achieve everything in the game fully free? some people i asked tells me this game has become a pay to win game, and it kinda drifted me away. but even with the bad reports it's probably isn't as bad as swtors cartel shop and f2p model. anyways can anyone clarify with me if it is possible to achieve full endgame with the f2p model of the sto. also was wondering what am i restricted to with f2p model. who knows maybe i'll like the game and spend money on it.

You can actually convert game currency to shop currency, but you don't really need anything from the shop becuase STO doesn't bar you from its gameplay features if you're a F2P player. Only major thing you cannot do as a F2P player is use the Foundry to create content, even though you can obviously still play missions created in it.

Check the comparison matrix.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/about/freetoplay/features-matrix

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by Methos12

You can actually convert game currency to shop currency, but you don't really need anything from the shop becuase STO doesn't bar you from its gameplay features if you're a F2P player. Only major thing you cannot do as a F2P player is use the Foundry to create content, even though you can obviously still play missions created in it.

what is the foundry content you speak of? sounds very important lol

I lets you create custom instanced missions in the game and some of them are really damn good putting the regular game to shame with their writing and structure.  There are of course limits so you can't exploit the game, but that's the gist of things.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/about/foundry/foundry-main

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Methos12

+1 for Methos, it's definitely not TOR's cartel shop :) I have an f2p acc as well, started as a DOff deposit, but later I got curious and played with it to VA. There's absolutely no hard bar or restriction in game. (except the Foundry mission creating part)

There are a few things of course which are acting as a 'soft limit' though. Like you have less inventory and bank space, but it's only effect you if you plan to be a huge crafter, and hoarding a lot of samples (mats for crafting). Even then you can make a second f2p acc and use it as a mule. Ok, maybe it's not an advice PWE is happy with, but it's a working solution :)

A second soft limit is that as an f2p acc, you get only 6 BOff slots until you reach VA. But it's also only affect you, if you plan to play multiple roles. If you stick with only one, 6 officers is enough.

There's the currency cap, also not a concern up until level cap, and then you'll have more than enough dilly to convert it Zen and buy a currency cap remove from the store (as Methos said you can get Zen in exchange of ingame currency)

There's no restrictions at endgame either, so no 3/week stuff like they planning in TOR :)

So to your main question "my question is, is it possible to achieve everything in the game fully free?" the short answer is yes. The longer is yes, most of it is free by default, and what's not, those you can buy from the store and you can grind the currency for it in-game.

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    wasn't there something about only being able to buy the most powerful ships from the store a while back?
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by atticusbc

wasn't there something about only being able to buy the most powerful ships from the store a while back?

C-store ships indeed have some perks over regular ships but I wouldn't seem them getting as much advantage.

They are more of different than better.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

Thats not true, you can still do fine with the ships you're given. The ships on the C-Store usually have some sort of abillity but from my experience they've never been p2w, and the fact you can earn them by using dillithium doesn't really give the people who are saying that they are is kinda moot.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

So after waiting for about 2 years now they are finally catching up I suppose. Still relying so heavily on the foundry isn't such a good idea.

Some good things coming apparently. They hired some regular star trek fans who have played the game (and mmo's in general)  to help in the process of improving the game apparently: (definitely a step in the right direction)

New Captain Skills can be selected at each Reputation Tier (It's most definitely about time for this! They needed to expand on the ground abilities like there's no tomorrow.  Combat on ground has been so lacking since launch)

Acquire special gear sets and end game rewards through Reputation projects (closer to the gear grind fest games people seem to love so much ie, WoW.)

"Into the Hive" and "Mine Trap" two new STF's, it's about time.

Foundry Spotlight missions now receive special billing in the Mission Journal as well as improved rewards (This is the only thing I'm not so sure about because it's worded so oddly. Does billing mean you pay for the missions or does it mean that it's a new publicity system? Not the best choice of words for a company well known for trying to be greedy.)

"Grinding is well disguised" "It was fun" "I'm All for 'seeing' progression and not relying on loot tables" "Season 8 is playable Remulan faction, that's why New Remulus (Reman and Romulan = Remulan) is a central place also in Season 8. In Season 9 the level cap might get raised, so we can eventually wear our full pippies. :)"

Are just a few of the comments on the page. I hope they hold true to form. the people they hired to rough them up a little and get the fire back in the developement dept hopefully have enough say to keep them from making those horrible post launch mistakes they made.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Gdemami

C-store ships indeed have some perks over regular ships but I wouldn't seem them getting as much advantage.

They are more of different than better.

there's only a couple with an advantage in combat, the enterprise galaxy X and one other. the rest had some interesting doo dads but really nothing to write home about. Possibly the antimatter spread causes some issues with pvp but most don't really play pvp in this anymore.

• TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234
    I really enjoyed the game. Had a ton of fun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ2rhdmKaPk
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Despite what people are telling you, yes the biggest and best ships a cash shop ones.

I will point out that the game is also very gear orientated meaning that a tier 4 ship(cs ships are tier 5) geared up will usually defeat a tier 5 that isn't.

Whilst these ships are cs only it doesn't mean the game is p2w since there doesn't seem to be many people wanting to pvp in the first place.

You can quite easily complete the pve content without buying anything from the shop.

You can exchange dilithium for shop points but there is a cap on how much dilithium you can get per day and you will likely need to meet this cap every day for 2-3 months if you want to buy a tier 5 ship(depending on exchange rate and ship cost).

To my mind, whilst tempting to buy a ship it seemed pointless as there didn't seem to be much to do with it once you got it.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Funny, when as soon as I had to aim my ship for combat using the arrow keys, I stopped playing.   Ship combat just seemed stupid from that point on.  Come on a sophisticated ship like that has computers to aim the weapons, you should just have to tell it what to shoot.  I never saw the crew have to aim the ship to shoot in the series or movies.  How lame.  
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Funny, when as soon as I had to aim my ship for combat using the arrow keys, I stopped playing.   Ship combat just seemed stupid from that point on.  Come on a sophisticated ship like that has computers to aim the weapons, you should just have to tell it what to shoot.  I never saw the crew have to aim the ship to shoot in the series or movies.  How lame.  

Can't say I'm a big fan of sto but it's possible you needed to change the weapons on your ship.  The different types beadm, dual beam, pulses and so on all have differeing firing arcs.  Lock target on enemy and you can shoot at anything within those arcs and even bind to a fire all key.  So with the right set up you can turn in a circle firing as you go.  I think there's even an autoshoot/fire option of some sort but don't know if this is official or third party(you don't need it).

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Karahandras
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Can't say I'm a big fan of sto but it's possible you needed to change the weapons on your ship.  The different types beadm, dual beam, pulses and so on all have differeing firing arcs.  Lock target on enemy and you can shoot at anything within those arcs and even bind to a fire all key.  So with the right set up you can turn in a circle firing as you go.  I think there's even an autoshoot/fire option of some sort but don't know if this is official or third party(you don't need it).

Even a sophisticated ship needs to take firing position for torpedoes and phaser :)  but if you like to fly straight through a battle, install turrets in every position, they have a 360 degree targeting arc.

Autofire is / was official, right click on a weapon switches it to autofire mode, but somewhere around season 6 (if I remember correctly) it got bugged. You still can switch to autofire through a console command.