Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what do the "NOT-GW2" gamers play?

Comments

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by maddhatter44
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by Thupli

Op, answers in this thread say everything.

Even a couple of the mega anti gw2 crowd have shown up, but notice how they never even mention what they think is better?  They are unwilling to pair their game to their OWN criticisms that they throw at gw2 because of how hypocritical it is.  Lol.

I've noticed that as well! Even viewed some people I've blocked because they were so bad, in this thread just to see if they did that, nope nothing just a mention of the game title. sigh.

Went back and checked, there are quite a few people I've blocked who continue to post negative things in other threads about GW2 but are oddly nowhere to be seen in this one. hmmm.

*snip*

Way to be maddhatter, now it's my turn too.

I just want to comment on the two points you and madhatter made that stick out for me:

1.) He compared Rifts stacked up update against GW2's HALLOWEEN update. That's not logical.  His description of the contents of the October update isn't even accurate. It was obvious he's devaluing it. Why can't we be impartial when saying stuff like these?

2.) You just downplayed map completion, even labeling people OCDs for wanting to complete the map. Dude, get real. If you don't find it interesting there's no need to patronize those who do. Besides, "running" around for map completion involves combat and opens up adventures by encountering secret areas and events.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    WoW, EQ2 etc for reason of longer leveling (still short) or if you like dailies etc eg: making an imperial silk per day with a 24h cooldown. Build for someone who has a short time everyday

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

Even a couple of the mega anti gw2 crowd have shown up, but notice how they never even mention what they think is better?  They are unwilling to pair their game to their OWN criticisms that they throw at gw2 because of how hypocritical it is.  Lol.

I've noticed that as well! Even viewed some people I've blocked because they were so bad, in this thread just to see if they did that, nope nothing just a mention of the game title. sigh.

Went back and checked, there are quite a few people I've blocked who continue to post negative things in other threads about GW2 but are oddly nowhere to be seen in this one. hmmm.

*snip*

I just want to comment on the two points you and madhatter made that stick out for me:

1.) He compared Rifts stacked up update against GW2's HALLOWEEN update. That's not logical.  His description of the contents of the October update isn't even accurate. It was obvious he's devaluing it. Why can't we be impartial when saying stuff like these?

2.) You just downplayed map completion, even labeling people OCDs for wanting to complete the map. Dude, get real. If you don't find it interesting there's no need to patronize those who do. Besides, "running" around for map completion involves combat and opens up adventures by encountering secret areas and events.

This portion of my post was obviously personal perference.  Longterm updates : One time events. I can compare the two to show why I chose the orginal form of updates.

I understand GW2 updates are different in nature to most mmos but...

.. comparing the two is logical, because this is how Anet is going to do their updates... Week long events mostly being one time events. May or may not add indefinate content (dungeon/zones aka next update)

Were as rifts halloween events I will admit are minor in nature, But considering this is just an event  added on to game updates to GW2's major halloween game update. Because like i said, this is how Anet is doing there game updates.

and i devalued it because I felt it wasn't that impressive? Had some minor things to spend time on, but main thigns were the PvP instance, clocktower, and the mad kings realm ( which literally took less then 10min)

Never said my post was a fact. ITS ALL OPINIONS.

p.s.  I will add new and unique major events are would be cool to attend, as long they are worthwhile and consistant(dare i say new one each week?). The GW2 halloween atmosphere was great.. jsut felt features and main events fell short of what couldof been i guess.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by DonY81 ill go....   Im  kinda dabbling with Rift ( cant beleive it but true ).   WoW ... just cant play it. GW2 obviously couldnt stick it...i do like working towards something. TSW ... doesnt float my boat..not sure why.   So ive started Rift a bit. I also play Chivalry medievil Warfare which is hilarous
    great! So what is it about Rift that makes it a superior game?

Superior to what? Its just personal preference.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Good grief.  I entered this thread wondering what non-GW2 players are playing, and all I get is GW2 propaganda.

Quite a long thread too, why did GW2 supporters feel the need to infest a topic that didn't even deal with the quality of their game?  Are they that desperate?

This thread is corrupt :(

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189

I dont think you people understand. It was ALOT of hype around GW2. Just look at the titles that was released in 2012, You have SWTOR, TSW and GW2. I dont play any of them anymore, even though i bought all 3.

People are dissapointed over all the new games coming out. I wont point out the details behind every thing thats dissapointing with these AAA titles, but i find it funny that people that enjoy GW2 are making bating threads like this to point out that GW2 is pure awsomeness. Because that game is simply not awsome for alot of people.

Why does GW2 bore me after a couple hours after ive logged in? Why do i get bored by doing "hearts" and "public" events that really are all the same 1-80 in a different wrapping?

Why does "burst" dps in BG's ruin my fun? Im dead in like 4 sec with 2 people on me even if i have 30k hp?

Why does the Zerg pvp in WWW ruin my fun? Why did que's ruin my fun?

Why does the fact that my skills are bland and all roles are gone make me feel my char has no purpose at all, besides dps number 345464 ?

Its ALOT of other reasons as well that make me want to play other games. Its not that i dont think GW2 is a quality game eiter, its AAA, but its just completly soulless IMO.

Its lots of people playing GW2 still, but most people will move on eventually. Maybe the fact that you understand this is why you come over here and "mock" people that has understood this quite a while.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by KhinRunite

*snip*

Ok. It was just a disconnect because the rest of your posts are hinged on more accuracy than the one I singled out. I should have picked up on the possibility that the meta events required to bring out the Madness gates, the added open dungeon, and the chain to complete the book don't impress you enough to mention them.

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78

Ok. It was just a disconnect because the rest of your posts are hinged on more accuracy than the one I singled out. I should have picked up on the possibility that the meta events required to bring out the Madness gates, the added open dungeon, and the chain to complete the book don't impress you enough to mention them.

your right, probably doesn't belong with my post because it is 100% personal peference. My point was for a game update believe there should be more.. but i guess I tend to ask for too much.  the clocktower was my main attraction to it xD.

But good news is this months update looks wayyy more promising to me. One good thing about these updates and being free from sub.. I can come check them out when they come around.

• ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

Playing The Secret World, and love it :-)

No orcs, elves, or any of the other things that I have been overdosed with.

• GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Neo_Liberty
    Originally posted by Grimmx

I hear alot of particular people going on about how GW2 isn't "all that" and I just wanted to know what game or games are so much better than GW2.  I beleive it was GeezerGamer that had suggested GW2 was a great game for when you only had a short period of time, so maybe I should look at what games some of these more enlightened individuals play in case I want to spend some longer periods in a game.

Please share with us, all of your expert suggestions.

EDIT: Oh and please don't leave silly posts like  "Game-X is the bomb, it's way better."  We all would like to hear what actual mechanics make these games so much better.

Ive tried logging int GW2 again but its just boring. I can play a few hours, but next time i want to log in i cant do it for some reason.

Its not about whats better for most of us that didnt like GW2, its about how you choose to spend your time. I have lots of things i would want to do rather than spending my time playing a game that didnt do anything for me.

Right now ive bought a single player rpg (Game of thrones) and after that im going to buy Darkfall 2.

is it any good? My favorite character was Jon Snow and I got the impression who was made out to be a minor char.

I havent started yet, i DL yesterday but im playing from today and on ;)

My brother said it was a good RPG. It had gotten bad reviews or atleast mixed reviews and he was honestly surprised it did because he really liked it alot. And because i know he is a very experienced player i bought it as well.

I cant tell you if it sticks to the lore or not though.

• ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by Karteli

Good grief.  I entered this thread wondering what non-GW2 players are playing, and all I get is GW2 propaganda.

Quite a long thread too, why did GW2 supporters feel the need to infest a topic that didn't even deal with the quality of their game?  Are they that desperate?

This thread is corrupt :(

Because they are scared that people might read about the much better games that are out here, and thus leave them!

And god forbid if that game should cost money...

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by Scorchien

Yea i see your point it can be a mind boggling challenge to stack that One stat that your class really needs in GW2 lol customizationa and stats are nil in GW2, So im not sure what you could be tailoring as you eloquently put it..

As far as intelligent mobs .. Its not even close compared to the mobs in AO ....  Lmao those leashing mobs that stand in AOE in GW2 are so challenging .. Give me abreak the game is easy and made to be easy for the casual masses and thats fine but dont spin it to be something else..

I do believe that's why I said 'it's something gw2 fails' at in that last post of mine. :p

Also my address was my preferences, not what  perceived GW2 to have in regards to customization of stats. That said, I do feel that particular weapon sets definitely serve to differentiate the play style and role of a class from itself reasonably well, at least that seems to be the case between weapon groupings with guardian.

I can honestly say I don't think there is a game that lives up to my personal interests. The reason I choose to continue playing a certain game or not has entirely to do with whether or not I like the community I interact with and more so whether there are any specific game mechanics I find value in.

I really wouldn't call AO mobs particularly smart either though. :p

EDIT: And I'm Vanu, bcbully.

Played Vanu in the original, and I am a loyal trooper. ^_^

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    TSW
  • BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176

SW:TOR, and I will explain step-by-step why it is better.

A)  Combat:  i) Sure, In GW2 you strafe around and press the dodge key, but the animations look ugly and mismatched.  In SW:TOR my lightsaber actually touches the enemy, and I don't look like I'm doing an awkward speed shuffle when I'm running. ii) SW:TOR I don't get bored because I get NEW ABILITIES while I level.  GW2, I just used the same 4 main ones (dual daggers is the funnest spec for Ele) from levels 1-73.

B) Story: I don't think I need to explain this.  Hearing the abomination that is GW2's voice acting disturbs me.   At the end of the day I play mmoRPGs, and SW:TOR provides this quite nicely.  You are much less likely to get bored on your journey from 1-50 than GW2's 1-80.

C) Endgame?   PROGRESSION?  Check.  RAIDS/ACTUAL TEAMWORK? Check. SOCIAL/LEGACY systems to provide benefits for months of endgame playtime?  Check.  Occasional Events?  Check.   Space Combat minigame as the odd distraction?  Check.

SW:TOR feels like quality.  Everything from it's interface to it's story just feels 'premium' and though that may change with F2P, I heartily recommend the game to anyone who hasn't played it before or those who might just be coming back.  It's good fun.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Freelancer on Discovery mod. Funnily enough, right a couple of weeks after I went back to Freelancer, Mr. Roberts announced his Citizen Star thing.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by BigAndShiny

SW:TOR, and I will explain step-by-step why it is better.

A)  Combat:  i) Sure, In GW2 you strafe around and press the dodge key, but the animations look ugly and mismatched.  In SW:TOR my lightsaber actually touches the enemy, and I don't look like I'm doing an awkward speed shuffle when I'm running. ii) SW:TOR I don't get bored because I get NEW ABILITIES while I level.  GW2, I just used the same 4 main ones (dual daggers is the funnest spec for Ele) from levels 1-73.

B) Story: I don't think I need to explain this.  Hearing the abomination that is GW2's voice acting disturbs me.   At the end of the day I play mmoRPGs, and SW:TOR provides this quite nicely.  You are much less likely to get bored on your journey from 1-50 than GW2's 1-80.

C) Endgame?   PROGRESSION?  Check.  RAIDS/ACTUAL TEAMWORK? Check. SOCIAL/LEGACY systems to provide benefits for months of endgame playtime?  Check.  Occasional Events?  Check.   Space Combat minigame as the odd distraction?  Check.

SW:TOR feels like quality.  Everything from it's interface to it's story just feels 'premium' and though that may change with F2P, I heartily recommend the game to anyone who hasn't played it before or those who might just be coming back.  It's good fun.

Everquest had more quality than SWTOR.

WoW had more quality than SWTOR.

SWTOR's F2P model is a joke.  EA is just trying to tank their game to get out of the Lucas contract.  Everything points to this.

SWTOR had great story, but that is why EA wants out of the contract so bad.  You finish a story.  An MMORPG you don't finish.  SWTOR wasn't an MMORPG.

The story ends.  EA wants out, so they tank the game, making it so no new subscribers will want to play.  Game loses money, and EA can excuse themselves from a contract with Lucas .. under the clause about the game underperforming.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    I'm boucing around EQ2 and WoW. WAiting on A Realm Reborn

Killing dragons is my shit

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Most of the none GW2 players play Wow, same answer as the last 8 years.

But who cares? What other people fancy might not be right for you, the trick is to find whatever you like most and play it no matter what others think.

Of course as in any social games who you play it with matters a lot as well so checking with your friends might help, but us random people in a forum helps little if at all.

• woeyewoeye Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Loke666

Most of the none GW2 players play Wow, same answer as the last 8 years.

But who cares? What other people fancy might not be right for you, the trick is to find whatever you like most and play it no matter what others think.

Of course as in any social games who you play it with matters a lot as well so checking with your friends might help, but us random people in a forum helps little if at all.

Well said. For my online games are a platform where you can play with your friends and have fun. Today we have many good titles on the market so there should be something for everyone. And those A > B discussions are pointless anyway imho. Play what you like and suits you most.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    We play what we are given, if you don't like it you leave sooner than you used to. I am afraid many of us are in that boat.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I hear alot of particular people going on about how GW2 isn't "all that" and I just wanted to know what game or games are so much better than GW2.  I beleive it was GeezerGamer that had suggested GW2 was a great game for when you only had a short period of time, so maybe I should look at what games some of these more enlightened individuals play in case I want to spend some longer periods in a game.

EDIT: Oh and please don't leave silly posts like  "Game-X is the bomb, it's way better."  We all would like to hear what actual mechanics make these games so much better.

I dont play GW2 because its boring as hell, after the first week it was sending me to sleep.

Currently playing Darkfall as i have been for years and waiting for DF:UW.. but i enjoy full loot PVP mmorpgs not for everyone i know but I find it hard to play a MMORPG that does not have full loot...

Other than that I am playing tons of ARMA II and the wasteland mod, kinda like DayZ but no zombies, more weapons and vehicles and base building... awesome fun.

Playing Project CARS, if your into your race sims then its worth taking a look at this. Still in development but you can pay to get access now.

X-Com awesome game need i say more...

Wargame: European escalation, a great RTS set in the cold war period

Also a few other games here and there :)

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

image  image

I don't think anyone here is going to be shocked that you agree with OP. By the way this topics is for 'haters' to explain superiority of other MMOS over GW2. Not for the fanatics to high five each other.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by BigAndShiny

Snip

Everquest had more quality than SWTOR.

WoW had more quality than SWTOR.

SWTOR's F2P model is a joke.  EA is just trying to tank their game to get out of the Lucas contract.  Everything points to this.

SWTOR had great story, but that is why EA wants out of the contract so bad.  You finish a story.  An MMORPG you don't finish.  SWTOR wasn't an MMORPG.

The story ends.  EA wants out, so they tank the game, making it so no new subscribers will want to play.  Game loses money, and EA can excuse themselves from a contract with Lucas .. under the clause about the game underperforming.

Not to go off topic, but there's no need to try and prove someones opinion on game preference or quality wrong. They obviously like SWTOR for reasons over WoW and EQ - that being story as explained in there post. Nothing wrong with that.

Bringing EQ and WoW into a post that never mentioned them only to start a debate is just going to derail the thread more, something you complained of already in this topic. This thread is over why someone prefers a game over GW2, not why WoW is better than SWTOR for example.

For what it's worth (and to not be completely off topic), I agree pretty much with all they said - I play SWTOR over GW2 for those reasons.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by halflife25

Please share illith us, all of your expert suggestions.

image  image

I don't think anyone here is going to eb shocked that you agree with OP. By the way this topics if ro 'haters' to explain superiority of other MMOS over GW2. Not for the fanatics to high five each other.

The problem with the OP's logic is that he's trying to compare manly anatomical sizes, so to speak, which is kind of irrelevant.

I don't need to play a "better" game, better being rather subjective. Sometimes I need toplay something "different". For example, GW2 is yet another fantasy mmorpg, so somebody who is tired of the constant fantasy mmorpg barrage may not get the same experience with somebody who isn't.

Also, while GW2 does some things good, it doesn't do some others as well, or doesn't do them at all. For example, people who love the tanking or healing role in mmorpgs, will not get the same pleasure out of this mmorpg compared to the dpsers (who don't care anyway).

I can go on like this, but the bottom line is that a game doesn't need to be better to be an alternative choice. Better is really subjective anyway and it depends on our preferences. The title of the best themepark game means little to somebody who is looking for a sandbox experience, for example.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

I'll take you for your word OP and that you really are interested in what others play. I've never played GW2 and did not buy it for many reasons that are personal to me but I have commented on it as I've watched the pre and post release drama unfold its been quite entertaining.

So to the point I'm back playing Vanguard again for my third time as at last Vanguard is getting some love from SOE that it badly needs but at its heart Vanguard is a massive world of wonders to play in, with great races and clases, deep crafting and a fantasticly original diplomacy system that I love playing. I don't know if its superior to GW2 because as I said I've never played GW2, I only left because SOE abandoned the game for a time which made me to sad to play but its just a game I like to play and at the end of the day and thats all that matter, right? I know my sig is a little dig at SOE's version of F2P but overall they still have 3 of the best MMORPG's around in my eyes and I play EQ & EQ2 from time to time, maybe they'll get the f2p thing eventually. image

EDIT: I'm also playing Sacred 2 a hack 'n' slasher that has a great character customising system, 5 difficulties with 200 levels, a huge world where you can quest anywhere you want, 2 main storymodes and 7 class stories to play through, its got a bonkers sense of humour and is just a delight to play, makes me smile a lot.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.