Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ideas on what to spend $8k bonus check from work?

2012-11-04 11:57:45.727

Comments

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

It's been very sad seeing some of my "hand to mouth" lifestyle friends just devastated in the last 4 years. With a couple literally begging me for help - money I know they will never be able to repay. And many who thought they had good jobs, and that the party would never end. So my suggestion would be to concentrate more on saving/investing, rather than on spending.

But forgive me if I'm presupposing your situation in error.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I would invest it into South East Asian companies.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

"You can only support the poor for so long before they have to get off their feet, by themselves."
    ~ Anon

Don't buy yourself into poor. It sucks.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    I would buy a couple of glock 9 a AR 15 and thousand rounds.
  • quatrevertquatrevert Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by TigerAero

Only thing is...I really don't have any wants or needs with that cash. 

Travels are often a great option. Depending on how many days you can afford to be away from home, it can be a 2-3 days trip to a nice inn, a week on the road to discover a new region or 2 weeks in Asia, Scandinavia or South America.

If you do not know what to purchase, investment is probably the safest way to use your money. Refurbishing your home, purchasing gold, platinum, silver, diamond, buying stocks...

Other than that, many hobbies that require equipment like video gaming, archery or wake board can indeed be good choices to put money on.

Good luck ;) 

• TigerAeroTigerAero Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by quatrevert
    Originally posted by TigerAero

Only thing is...I really don't have any wants or needs with that cash. 

Travels are often a great option. Depending on how many days you can afford to be away from home, it can be a 2-3 days trip to a nice inn, a week on the road to discover a new region or 2 weeks in Asia, Scandinavia or South America.

If you do not know what to purchase, investment is probably the safest way to use your money. Refurbishing your home, purchasing gold, platinum, silver, diamond, buying stocks...

Other than that, many hobbies that require equipment like video gaming, archery or wake board can indeed be good choices to put money on.

Good luck ;) 

Reading this post kinda is already what I plan on doing partly. Going to start collecting stuff. Not sure what item to start collecting but I'm thinking old guns or other certified memorabilia.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Why not save it for a rainy day.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

+1

It may come in handy one day.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481
    Retirement account.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

Alcohol !!!!

:)

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    I'd be putting that in an interest bearing checking account or an IRA.    :)
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Buy Silver, small coins mostly, before the Epic Economy Crash comes. Gold is too big to buy stuff from in exchange, but Silver always keeps it's value. Even if the economy does not crash, silver retains it's value. Just get it for real, not on some bank account, where it's just virtual. Oh and buy it private not from a bank. In a crisis governemts often make laws to demand the gold and silver from their people. So if you buy it privately, they less likely will know about it.

Oh, and invest in a gun and bullets you can handle. To be sure you KEEP the silver, in case.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    Originally posted by Elikal

Buy Silver, small coins mostly, before the Epic Economy Crash comes. Gold is too big to buy stuff from in exchange, but Silver always keeps it's value. Even if the economy does not crash, silver retains it's value. Just get it for real, not on some bank account, where it's just virtual. Oh and buy it private not from a bank. In a crisis governemts often make laws to demand the gold and silver from their people. So if you buy it privately, they less likely will know about it.

Oh, and invest in a gun and bullets you can handle. To be sure you KEEP the silver, in case.

If there were an epic economic crash, silver will be just as worthless as fiat currency. Sure, it will have value if there was an economic recovery, but coinage, no matter if it were gold or silver, will not be worth more than than it's weight in comparision to food/supplies.

If we were to see an economic crash with valueless currency we would see a barter system take place. 

I'd rather trade a can of beans for a battery than a silver coin, you know. :)

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

Invest

• IRA, 401k, Money Market, or Bonds (especially if they match)...
    • Real Estate (save up to buy property, a duplex to begin)
    • Alternative energy (look into solar panels)
    • Gym membership and a personal trainer.
    • Guns/Ammo.
    • Rosetta Stone (for a new language)
    • A hobby (programming, photography, fishing)
    • Take a class at your local college
    • Upgrade your roof, or floor, check to see if your house still has copper pipes that carry water.
    • Give $1,000 as a scholarship bonus to kids at a community/technical/vocational college.
    Be generously random by purchasing someone a pair of tires. With $8,000.00, a 400.00 purchase for the good of someone else is never harmful.

The point here is, if you have no idea what to spend your money on, giving back is always a good option. Otherwise, hoard it.

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Dekron
    Originally posted by Elikal

If there were an epic economic crash, silver will be just as worthless as fiat currency. Sure, it will have value if there was an economic recovery, but coinage, no matter if it were gold or silver, will not be worth more than than it's weight in comparision to food/supplies.

If we were to see an economic crash with valueless currency we would see a barter system take place. 

I'd rather trade a can of beans for a battery than a silver coin, you know. :)

That is because people misunderstand the idea of a crash. A crash would not hurl us back to Middle Ages for decades. It would stay a while and then recover. May take a few months before a halfway normal system is back. But this gap is something being prepared is worth considering IMO. Silver is always worth something, and I do not assume a crash would last years or decades. That is not really likely, because the industry infrastructure is still there.

Even if no crash happens, silver and gold never lose their value, unlike paper (fiat) money.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

In countries where the currency actually crashes, it has happened in a few countries, I have seen that the first item they pay with is cigarettes, I kid you not.

Cigarettes have a reasonable value, it's easy to pay with since they're already in circulation when the crash happens, everyone knows what a cigarette is worth, it stays valuable because people wants cigarettes even in crisis, so trading them is easy to do.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Or buy gold? can't go wrong IMO

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    My top 10 stuff to spend moneys on :

1. Start a hydroponic farm. Theyre stylish and you can eat them!

2. Buy items in preparation of a zombie apocalypse. I now have a few wakizashi.

3. Buy gold/silver. Better than saving $.

4. Buy scrap metal. Get them reprocessed. Sell them. Theyre cheap in places like thailand, philippines, and indonesia.

5. Buy the razer deathstalker/ mad cats strike 7. Because a touchscreen on a keyboard = awesome.

6. Get your house solar paneled up and connect to the powergrid. They will take the extra power you give them and they will remove that from your bill.

7. Gain weight and get a brazilian butt lift (surfery). Because im running out of ideas.

8. Start up investment. For when you want to gamble.

9. Learn to cook. I almost set the house on fire yesterday. Who knew that putting water on the food while frying it will cause a giant fireball?

10. Set up a hydroponic farm.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by Teala
    I'd be putting that in an interest bearing checking account or an IRA.    :)

+1 for an IRA

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Best investment is pay off any loans first. It's like garanteed to save you money, its like making money.....Just think about it !!

I always get a kick out of people that say they have $500 in the bank but OWE $6000 ON CREDIT CARDS !

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Im confused. People actually buy stuff they cant afford with the credit cards? O.o

Thats a friggin disaster waiting to happen.

Oh gawd please dont tell me people pay "minimum" amount as well x.x

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**