Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what do the "NOT-GW2" gamers play?

Comments

• Stimos8Stimos8 Member UncommonPosts: 163

In all honesty, guild wars 2 is a mess. The pvp is absolutely horrible, mind numbing boringness running around doing "different" things. Not only that but the pve? yeah exactly the pve? any sense of the word they desecrated and abolished it untill well original pve that the mmo'ers love, became some stupid, rediculous, rubbish pvpanised pve.

So exactly, there are WAY to many games to name that are better then guild wars 2, of the top of your head atleast.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

I'm forever bemused by the extreme defensiveness common to many GW2 defenders, never have seen anything quite like it. Some defensiveness among fans of most anything is common, but just not anywhere near to the level seen from GW2 fans in these parts.

That aside, I've been an occasional critic of GW2, I suppose around here that makes me a 'hater' even though mostly my expectations were low to begin with and, to my surprise, not even those were met. Meh, I bought it anyway, silly friends talked me into it so we could play together and then they ended up bored and quiting before level 10. Whatever, maybe it'll eventually improve to the point where it's worth some attention rather than, to me, being something I log into occasionally and quickly get bored of -- who knows?

I'm currently subbed to WoW, though I haven't logged in for weeks and haven't spent more than an hour or two playing since around the time Cata dropped. I'm also at the start of one of my quarterly tries to see what it is in Eve that gets so many people hot and bothered. Might take this time but I've been doing a few months of Eve a few times a year for a few years in Eve and have yet to really get into it. Don't really know why I'm compelled to give it another try so often, but for some reason I am. Beyond that I've mostly been playing single player stuff, replaying old Sam and Max games on the PC, getting around to Uncharted 1/2 (honestly, having finished 1 and being halfway through 2 I can't for the life of me figure out why these games were rated so high) on the PS3, and playing Borderlands on the Xbox.

Might resub to Rift just to see what the expac brings, have to see.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I hear alot of particular people going on about how GW2 isn't "all that" and I just wanted to know what game or games are so much better than GW2.  I beleive it was GeezerGamer that had suggested GW2 was a great game for when you only had a short period of time, so maybe I should look at what games some of these more enlightened individuals play in case I want to spend some longer periods in a game.

Please share with us, all of your expert suggestions.

EDIT: Oh and please don't leave silly posts like  "Game-X is the bomb, it's way better."  We all would like to hear what actual mechanics make these games so much better.

I can't help thin, your post drips with vitriol but still, the gist of the post is good.

I've been playing Aion, LOTRO and Tera. And bit of Vanguard.

I actually like GW2 but I don't like  how the events repeat ad nauseum.

Other than that I prefer longer leveling arcs and as I tend to like to wander and kill monsters I've found that I am usually in places (in gw2) much higher than I should be. Somehow I just don't "get" GW2 even though I understand what it's doing and why it's doing it.

I think, in the end, I just prefer games that are grind games. Also games that have pvp conquests that affect the greater populace (not counting lotro in that). One of the reasons I loved Lineage 2. Pride in ownership.

GW2 is a fine game but one that I will just visit from time to time.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Dont hate GW2 at all some of my best friends are lovin it , i tried it, and it doesnt grab , as i posted before ...Way to easy of a game .. Zero thot involved in Character progression , Gear is just handed to you, no feeling of accomplishment at all (and dont ohh lookie i jumped all the way up this Hill) ...That isnt an accomplishment they are mindless time sinks with little to no creativity...

Im playing AO , i like the constant challenges of Finding Gear ,Weapon Dock , and Implants ,and jugglin the 50+ attributes and Skills to squeeze into said equipment.. i enjoy the original enviromentr that funcom created (not the same same ole that we see in every AAA like GW2)  

I enjoy being able to increase the difficulties (challenge myself)of missions or go somewhere to hunt i will likley die a horrible death..(not be scaled to every dam thng i come across..such a bad design)

I enjoy the combat where i have to think to survive .. not mindlessbuttonmashingfacerollinmacrobleccccccchhhh  you get it..

I my distase is more for what  GW2 is not the game itself .. what it represents as imo is everything glaringly wrong with the direction Devs are takin with what they call MMOs these days..

anyhow .... i digress .. got some missions to run .. need to get into some implants so can learn a new heal..

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Even though you changed topic title in your posts you're still way too defensive.

Anyway I am a person that bought GW 2, stopped playing and not going to go back since I didn't liked the game. I will tell you what I do play now.

List of mmorpg's I play:

- nothing and there is very small chance that there will be any mmorpg for me in foresable future judging from industry trends.

Maybe ArcheAge if western publisher will offer some separate subscription only servers separate from freemium / f2p ones.  No publisher did that kind of thing till today (well SOE with EQ2 did in past before they went full freemium but in half-assed manner) so my hopes are very small.

-----------------------------

List of single and multiplayer games:

- The Witcher 2

- Warcraft 3 (yes that 10 year old game).

- Obvilion total conversion mod Nehrim

- Arcanum

- Battlefield 3 (rarely and vanilla version, I don't own any DLC's)

- Fallen Enchantress

- Panzer General

Above list mean game that I played at least once in last month.  Obviously some of them I haven't played for some time. Like Panzer General I haven't played for ~2 weeks and I haven't played Battlefield for 3 weeks, but I consider playing them a bit soon again.

Have few more games lined up I don't buy because I would not have time to play.  There are few releasing in next year I am interested.   None of them are mmorpg's though.

Like I said gameplay and business model wise mmoprg industry don't want to deliver mmorpg that I would like.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

active playing TSW , periodicaly EVE,sundays night STO ...

GW2 is not bad game ,  just , I am not interesting for  GW  universe & setting ...

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571

Playing TSW, working my way through Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition (bought it yesterday - so much fun), trying to reach paragon 100 on my barbarian in d3 (almost there few more levels), and playing diablo 2 on LAN with friends!

GW2 was litterally the worst MMORPG I have played couldnt get into it at all.  Waiting for Lineage Eternal, Arche Age, and War Z (kinda im in alpha/beta but its got ALOT of work to do to be a polished version of Day Z).

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

If you can't tell by now you aren't largely going to get many valuable replies.

The people that just flat out rip on the game are going to keep doing that, and have minimal input on their actual preferences.

The people that prefer different aspects in games are going to point at the games they prefer playing. Seeing as they are not the one's actively 'hating' on gw2, it's kind of a moot point there.

Then you have the people who will say they fele it's the better title for them. Again they aren't the haters and the resulting response is largely a moot point.

You're kind of asking a very small subset of people who are inherently against anything but negative input to do something that's not strictly negative. If you'll notice, some of the more apparent names that rip on the title nonstop haven't even posted here yet.

Though we do have some examples of what might happen if they did. Like that AO post above me. Instead of a clear remark that they prefer metagaming, playing with numbers on a character to find the balance of skills and attributes they want, they imply the system lacks any possible challenge due to the more finite amount of stat allocations and considerably fewer gear limitations.

And then it's built upon by poking at missing challenge again by saying there's none to be had, even though a poster on the same page above them noted how they find themselves in higher level zones (where it doesn't upscale you to their level). So even though there is the mechanic that lets them seek a place where they 'likley die a horrible death', they do not approach or address that point because it defies the image that they wish to create of the title.

With his end statement, it's very apparent that the use of this title is as a spapbox. There'a a direction or a 'right way' to games for them or to fit their preferences, and this game has become the current patsy for the rest of the genre.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I hear alot of particular people going on about how GW2 isn't "all that" and I just wanted to know what game or games are so much better than GW2.  I beleive it was GeezerGamer that had suggested GW2 was a great game for when you only had a short period of time, so maybe I should look at what games some of these more enlightened individuals play in case I want to spend some longer periods in a game.

EDIT: Oh and please don't leave silly posts like  "Game-X is the bomb, it's way better."  We all would like to hear what actual mechanics make these games so much better.

image  image

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

I'm playing Wurm.

Didn't buy GW2.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by RizelStar
    www.mmorpg.com Guild Wars 2 section. Though its like that with any mmo that has haters, on the good note this a good side mmo while playing GW 2 as my main MMO.  

I've noticed tho via simply visiting other pages all across the interweb that what Eyelolled is describing only seems to happen here on these forums. Like when we see the first post, suddenly almost everyone that has never played (or more importantly only played to level 11) come out of the woodwork en masse like mad crazy like a Christmas sale at the only mall for miles in the middle of a blizzard during a surplus economy on Christmas eve five minutes before closing time. It's an amazing spectical to behold the first time, but becomes as pointless as one of those people who speed to get around you just to stop at the stop light in front of you both making them wait anyway.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Nothing much right now. Little Rift beta from time to time,

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

I rarely play only one game.

I do play GW2, but I've got an active account in EVE since 2003 and I play plenty of  singleplayer games when I have time.

Hard to have time these days now when I got a 16 months old boy, I rather play with him than most games though.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Originally posted by Torgrim

I rarely play only one game.

I do play GW2, but I've got an active account in EVE since 2003 and I play plenty of  singleplayer games when I have time.

Hard to have time these days now when I got a 16 months old boy, I rather play with him than most games though.

Best game goin , i have a 16 month son also:)

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I dont think there's a better mmorpg on the market right now, for me at least. But at the end of the day I dont think GW2 is all that great game for a mmorpg either. It's fun and nice game, I like it, I played it 250 hours which is far more than any singleplayer game, but I'm having a break atm since I dont feel like doing anything in it right now.

I actually went nuts paid another 15€ for SWTOR sub few days ago. I was supposed to wait for F2P to get two more class stories done but since I didnt have anything else to do, oh well. I'm not saying by any means that TOR would be a better mmorpg, it's barely a mmorpg to begin with, I just felt like enjoying some star wars story bits so I basically paid 15€ for that untill the F2P arrives and I can drop my sub (since it should be coming soon now) if I even feel like playing at that point anymore.

There isnt a mmorpg on the market right now at all that I feel like playing for a long period of time, I'd love to have one but there just isnt one. None of the mmorpgs have the features and gameplay that I'd like to see for something that I'm supposed to stick with a long period of time.

• gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

I'm still a GW2 player, truth be told, but don't log in as much. Only for the occasional fun dungeons (I find dungeon-running to be very fun and relaxing in most games). And GW2 has a few really amusing ones.

Otherwise, I've jumped on the Rift train for a while. Reasons:

-         Lots of new content added in the past year

-         Tons of ways to lvl (not in the GW2 “levelling is a breeze” style, but better)

-         Great community; so far, very helpful

-         Lots of dungeons; lots of end-game content

-         Characters are sort of “on-the-fly-switching-jacks-of-all-trades”; I can tank, heal, support and DPS with the same character

BUT what I dislike is the difficulty; dungeons at Normal seem far too easy for my taste. I hear Raids are great, but will have to wait and see.

And I’m really considering going back to TSW:

-         Amazing story-driven questing

-         Great dungeons

My biggest problem with the game was the community. Before launch the forums were 90% full of AWESOME people. Really amazing, mature, helpful…everything! Then when the game launched, all freaking Hell broke loose!!! (no pun intended) I like both RP and Progression PvE, but after going through 4-5 guilds I was left with an awful taste. The people were imbeciles in those guilds, most PUGs were considerably retarded, and 90% of the people I met with good gear openly admitted to getting it through bugs and exploits alone. I am usually a solo player when levelling, but I enjoy grouping for dungeons and damn, TSW was impossible from that perspective. The quest system however, I loved. The dungeons were very challenging and fun as well, so it had all the makings of a great game. But community wise…worst I’ve ever seen. I’m guessing though that perhaps it’s better now, most retards have been weeded out, and with the raiding addition I might have a reason to go back.

Originally posted by Deivos

The people that just flat out rip on the game are going to keep doing that, and have minimal input on their actual preferences.

The people that prefer different aspects in games are going to point at the games they prefer playing. Seeing as they are not the one's actively 'hating' on gw2, it's kind of a moot point there.

Then you have the people who will say they fele it's the better title for them. Again they aren't the haters and the resulting response is largely a moot point.

You're kind of asking a very small subset of people who are inherently against anything but negative input to do something that's not strictly negative. If you'll notice, some of the more apparent names that rip on the title nonstop haven't even posted here yet.

Though we do have some examples of what might happen if they did. Like that AO post above me. Instead of a clear remark that they prefer metagaming, playing with numbers on a character to find the balance of skills and attributes they want, they imply the system lacks any possible challenge due to the more finite amount of stat allocations and considerably fewer gear limitations.

And then it's built upon by poking at missing challenge again by saying there's none to be had, even though a poster on the same page above them noted how they find themselves in higher level zones (where it doesn't upscale you to their level). So even though there is the mechanic that lets them seek a place where they 'likley die a horrible death', they do not approach or address that point because it defies the image that they wish to create of the title.

With his end statement, it's very apparent that the use of this title is as a spapbox. There'a a direction or a 'right way' to games for them or to fit their preferences, and this game has become the current patsy for the rest of the genre.

Only problem wth that is i played GW2 extensivley i never .. never felt any challenge and i have an 80 a 50 and a 40.. the only challenge the game presented was not tying your own fingers in a knot , and if i gave Helen Keller a brail keyboard she could get to 80..

• ZeprimusZeprimus Member Posts: 40

Since I bought GW2 I've dabbled with a few other MMOs just to test the waters, as well as to see old games.

I logged into DCUO because I wanted some true 'action' combat; while GW2 is much faster than older games, sometimes it's nice to play a straight beat-em up rather than a D20 system that allows you to move and dodge. Also, getting a major setting change from fantasy is always nice.

I also logged into the tutorial zone of EQ. It's very strange, seeing the first MMO I played all these years later, and it was hard for me to get into. While it is a game with a lot of depth, EQ's interface alone makes me feel like I'm doing far too much work before I'm even 'playing' the game. Not to mention the sheer volume of content that one faces when logging into it, with the knowledge that playing with others will likely take far longer than I'm willing to commit.

By no means would I say GW2 is a bad game. It's fun, enjoyable, not perfect, but still good in many regards. I just think I'm hitting a point where the entire genre is starting to feel stale, and MMOs just don't hold for me what they used to.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

im playing wow again. panadas arent that bad and the new maps are pretty cool. I just couldn't stand what I found to be pretty lame group mechanics in gw2 .. and when I left, 1 week wvw matches were decided in the first 4 hours making the following 6 days, 20 hours fairly boring as in most cases you were either 1 of 5 defending against 100 or 1 of 100 attacking 5. was very exciting for a week or so, especially when it was 24 hours matches .. but wvw just wasn't interesting when "properly" implemented.

also no replay ability for me outside of going to see a few zones I skipped when leveling my first toon, I got my second to about 40 and just couldnt log in anymore. same boring solo breadcrumb grind. didn't find the event system all that interesting. I think it has potential .. but something about the implementation just doesn't strike me. it feels very meaningless and repetative. that being said, I can level classes I have already leveled in wow and have a blast doing dungeons that ive done 100s of times and quests ive done before as well from time to time, with some pvp mixed in to shake things up.

gw2 just ended up having very little that i enjoy about mmos.

the crafting is another thing. just horrible. outside of cooking you are "discovering" the exact same recipes over and over and over again. 1 bow stave, 1 string, 5 horns. very much a let down. I was very excited about the crafting until about the 3rd or 4th tier of claws when I realized its all the same garbage. very disappointing. cooking was cool .. but it's cooking .. who cares about cooking .. really? all the professions should have been that in depth.

/endrant

PS. id love to play something besides wow. id love to be a wow hater .. I really would. but nothing holds my attention like wow. I even find myself grinding pet battles .. because it's implementation .. for w/e reason is addictive. If you had given me a list of features and asked me which I was least interested in seeing developed, and bet battles was on there .. pet battles would have been my answer. But Blizzard, like it does with most things .. makes it fun, and addictive.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

I been playing all of these more than GW2 lately:

DOTA2

Raiderz

Wizardry Online

War Z

TF2

Path of Exile

Torchlight 2

and more..... (I have tons of steam games)

DOTA 2 and TF2 had better as in more fun and more items and lot to gain, so I played them more during halloween. I logged into GW2 to do daily events and back out and haven't played 1 weeks before halloween or now 2 days after.

Raiderz is kind of generic MMO, but I like the combat it allows you to block, dodge and attack with aim, pretty fun since there is no grind really, just questiing. GW2 is better overall, but this is new and so feels funner for now.

War Z is fun FPS style, still in beta, but cool zombie survival mmo game.

Wizardry just got in beta. Look it up, permadeath can happen, open pvp with criminal system, old school rpg building of character with roll of dice, many cool classes and abilities from D&D and requires teamwork to progress. Hard and fun!

I have to eat now, but thats some of the games and reasons why I liek them more. GW2 has no longevity, I will only log in for events each time then not play til the next one comes along.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I play EVE, not because it is superior to GW2, but because it offers gameplay mechanics quite different from most every MMO out there.

It's the ultimate carrot game, with players chasing power and progression at almost every step of the way.

Cooperation, sure if it benefits me somehow, otherwise you are just the competition and I will struggle to best you and everyone else.

Fair fights? . Only if I'm doing something really wrong. No quarter asked and none given.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

Playing D3, Fallen Earth, FF VI, and Warz because they are the da bomb.

Why is Super Mario Bros 3 better than Super Mario Bros 1, please explain mechanics etc.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Deivos

PS2 btw. The 3 faction pvp is thrilling.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    Originally posted by Grimmx

Ive tried logging int GW2 again but its just boring. I can play a few hours, but next time i want to log in i cant do it for some reason.

Its not about whats better for most of us that didnt like GW2, its about how you choose to spend your time. I have lots of things i would want to do rather than spending my time playing a game that didnt do anything for me.

Right now ive bought a single player rpg (Game of thrones) and after that im going to buy Darkfall 2.

is it any good? My favorite character was Jon Snow and I got the impression who was made out to be a minor char.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Play WoW arena or RBGS 3-4 hours a week (the initial grind with MOP's release has passed)

Play GW2 1 hour a week (no point in playing my gimped ranger - all builds are bad in TPvP)

The rest of my gaming time is spent playing Skyrim.

Rangers will be buffed (hopefully) by mid Nov.  While I seriously doubt Anet will fix most of their issues, I am very curious to see what the new Ranger is like.