Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what do the "NOT-GW2" gamers play?

eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I hear alot of particular people going on about how GW2 isn't "all that" and I just wanted to know what game or games are so much better than GW2.  I beleive it was GeezerGamer that had suggested GW2 was a great game for when you only had a short period of time, so maybe I should look at what games some of these more enlightened individuals play in case I want to spend some longer periods in a game.

Please share with us, all of your expert suggestions.

EDIT: Oh and please don't leave silly posts like  "Game-X is the bomb, it's way better."  We all would like to hear what actual mechanics make these games so much better.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Comments

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

Do we really need another one of these? it is quite clear you have no intention of having a discussion and just want to vent your frustration because well not everybody is in love with GW2.

Why insult intelligence of others by pretending that you actually care for their opinion? 

'Please share us with your expert suggestion'. I think that gives away your intentions behind this topic. Nice attempt at baiting though.

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398

ill go....

Im  kinda dabbling with Rift ( cant beleive it but true ).

WoW ... just cant play it.

GW2 obviously couldnt stick it...i do like working towards something.

TSW ... doesnt float my boat..not sure why.

So ive started Rift a bit. I also play Chivalry medievil Warfare which is hilarous

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Do we really need another one of these? it is quite clear you have no intention of having a discussion and just want to vent your frustration because well not everybody is in love with GW2.

Why insult intelligence of others by pretending that you actually care for their opinion? 

'Please share us with your expert suggestion'. I think that gives away your intentions behind this topic. Nice attempt at baiting though.

It's not baiting. I seriously want to know what games are so far superior to GW2 because I might like to try one of them out.  I'm not an expert because I've only played 4 mmorpgs for any effective amount of time. There are alot of people with much more experience in the genre than myself so I would consider them experts.

So whats the problem. Whats this game that you've got keeping you entertained?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by DonY81

ill go....

So ive started Rift a bit. I also play Chivalry medievil Warfare which is hilarous

great! So what is it about Rift that makes it a superior game?

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

This.

Not having an mmo to play doesn't make someone's opinion of GW2 any less. I have certain mmorpgs i'm waiting for, but will hold judgement for them until they're atleast 1 month old. GW2 is GW2. As far as the word "hater", if you need to identify others as that to suit your ideals better, whatever.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I hear alot of particular people going on about how GW2 isn't "all that" and I just wanted to know what game or games are so much better than GW2.  I beleive it was GeezerGamer that had suggested GW2 was a great game for when you only had a short period of time, so maybe I should look at what games some of these more enlightened individuals play in case I want to spend some longer periods in a game.

EDIT: Oh and please don't leave silly posts like  "Game-X is the bomb, it's way better."  We all would like to hear what actual mechanics make these games so much better.

What is better or not is subjective, so people can very well use any excuse they want to define what works better for them, even if it's something as casual as graphics and musical score.  I can't stand GW2 and I'll play just about anything but that game.  Don't like it, then suck it.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Actually I think it's a good question ....my thoughts are after seeing the number of posts by some folks they just play the forums ,

I'd be interested in their opinions and it's not  to insulting thier intelligence nor to bait anyone.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

It's not baiting. I seriously want to know what games are so far superior to GW2 because I might like to try one of them out.  I'm not an expert because I've only played 4 mmorpgs for any effective amount of time. There are alot of people with much more experience in the genre than myself so I would consider them experts.

I play TERA not because it is "far superior to GW 2" but rather because the game has some end game content where as GW 2 has almost none. The combat is more fun too and after playing the two games back to back I have to say the GFX in TERA is more beautiful.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

There's only a few actual haters in my opinion. Then there are a few that constantly say negative things for like 14 hours a day and then claim neutrality or whatever. It's kind of funny I guess. It's really hilarious when they blame the GW2 fans for raiding "their" forums and attacking "their" game for the little pushback that exists from the few amount of haters out there. Psht... it's happening because it always happens to every game. Certain users are just dicks.

But overall, with such a small amount of people actually taking shots at the game, I just don't see that much "hate." I think for the most part, people are really enjoying the game and my experience in game supports that. Servers are nice and full, they are releasing solid content already and Christmas is coming.

I've seen a few of the haters that play TSW and SWTOR. One plays LotRO. It's crazy to me that they see these 4 games as being so enormously different from each other as to bash any of them with such commited zeal.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    www.mmorpg.com Guild Wars 2 section. Though its like that with any mmo that has haters, on the good note this a good side mmo while playing GW 2 as my main MMO.  

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

ill go....

great! So what is it about Rift that makes it a superior game?

I dont really think Rift is a great game to be honest but i do think its backed by a good team thats bringing an expansion out that looks promisiing. I suppose i could say its the best out there for me right now.

I wouldnt say its superior. I bought it on release but never actually levelled out then ... trying it now.

All in all i cannot find an MMO that im chomping at the bit to play really

• DeathByCactusDeathByCactus Member Posts: 36

Nothing. Because nothing is more entertaining than GW2. I tried TSW, wasn't bad, not gonna sub for it. In the end, there is nothing left in the market that really captures what early MMO's did. So nothing is what I play MMO wise. I log into GW2 run 5 feet then log out pretty much now.

Looking forward to EQnext, GreedMonger, Star Citizen... maybe. We will see. I doubt they will do any good. DFUW will probably fail but I will try it anyway.

Edit: I backed the star citizen kickstarter, so I have some faith. EQ next I will try at launch regardless and make my decision then. Thinking about going back to EVE tho. It's just that I still fall asleep in warp jumps.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Atm.. nothing.

Edit: i dont hate Gw2 but imho it didn't live up to the ridiculous hype it got.

Originally posted by MMOwanderer

This.

Not having an mmo to play doesn't make someone's opinion of GW2 any less. I have certain mmorpgs i'm waiting for, but will hold judgement for them until they're atleast 1 month old. GW2 is GW2. As far as the word "hater", if you need to identify others as that to suit your ideals better, whatever.

I never made the claim that anyone's opinion were not valid. 

I used the term "hater" in the title because I couldn't think of a better term at the time.  I guess I didn't want to title it "So what do all the people that have a absolute dislike for GW2 play"

It's an obvious curiosity. If people really dislike GW2, then what is it that they really like?

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by colddog04

There's only a few actual haters in my opinion. Then there are a few that constantly say negative things for like 14 hours a day and then claim neutrality or whatever. It's kind of funny I guess. It's really hilarious when they blame the GW2 fans for raiding "their" forums and attacking "their" game for the little pushback that exists from the few amount of haters out there. Psht... it's happening because it always happens to every game. Certain users are just dicks.

But overall, with such a small amount of people actually taking shots at the game, I just don't see that much "hate." I think for the most part, people are really enjoying the game and my experience in game supports that. Servers are nice and full, they are releasing solid content already and Christmas is coming.

I've seen a few of the haters that play TSW and SWTOR. One plays LotRO. It's crazy to me that they see these 4 games as being so enormously different from each other as to bash any of them with such commited zeal.

Ahh yes, I agree to this. 

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

But that is the thing you do not understand. People don't choose other MMOS over GW2 because they are just 'superior'. There are so many factors. For example in case of TSW its the niche settings and slow approach towards progression, for Rift is it is amazing content updates and support by Trion,

Let us be honest here all right? you made OP to mock the haters. Why pretend otherwise?

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Yamota

I play TERA not because it is "far superior to GW 2" but rather because the game has some end game content where as GW 2 has almost none. The combat is more fun too and after playing the two games back to back I have to say the GFX in TERA is more beautiful.

Pretty much, I can't get over my character models in TERA and after about 500 hours played in GW2, there's nothing left for me, i've exhausted everything and there's no purpose so I went back to TERA as well.

Im from the EU has TERA incorperated BGs into TERA yet?

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Yep but only for high level characters...

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Also, I heard they were getting raids. Do they have those yet?

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

I never made the claim that anyone's opinion were not valid. 

I used the term "hater" in the title because I couldn't think of a better term at the time.  I guess I didn't want to title it "So what do all the people that have a absolute dislike for GW2 play"

It's an obvious curiosity. If people really dislike GW2, then what is it that they really like?

That could be anything. You ask what others are playing and i told you many may not have a current mmo because one to suit their likes isn't available.

But like i said, that doesn't really concern GW2. You might aswell ask everyone what mmo they play or are waiting for. The reason why it's irrevelant is because, like i said, GW2 is GW2. Trying to "counter haters" wiTh this is pointless.

If a "hater" played the game and gave a negative and critical opinion of it, as long as it's not just a stupid comment like "LOLZ WOW clone. It sucks. X is better", they are prefectly free to do so without having to state what they feel is better. 

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

It's not like the "GW2 haters" you attempt to bait in the OP wanted to dislike GW2.  I would guess that the people that are most vocal about their disappointment in GW2 have invested significant amounts of time trying to get into it.  I hit level 80, completed my story, 100% map completion, worked a good ways towards a legendary, played tons of WvW, leveled at 80 over 100 times (granted it was from AoE farming Orr events, which was really the only way to farm karma for a legendary).  I really wanted to like the game and stick with it, there's just not enough to it.  A special event every month isn't enough to hold my attention and the heavy legendary grind simply was not fun.  

I'll never say that I didn't get my money's worth out of the box price, but I will say that GW2 is not a good MMORPG.  It's a great value as a single player type game with a start and finish.  While people are welcome to say that ArenaNet delivered exactly what they said they would, I can't shake the feeling that the pre game marketing (including the manifesto) were a bit misleading.  Minimally, they made me expect something different than what was delivered.

As far as what games are better than GW2?  WoW and Rift are a few past games that I would rate as better MMORPGs.  While I no longer play those games, I did last much longer than a month in both of them.  Currently, I am playing single player games and awaiting a good MMORPG release.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

They did but honestly, I played it for about 3 weeks and now the premades are getting annoying, personally i'm waiting for the ranked 3v3 arena since it will apparently pair you with people close to your ranking to stop the discrepancy premades in BGs create.

Also TERA EU worries me, gameforge(frogster) has not been handling TERA all too well. I'm from NA, and TERA EU still doesn't have proper customer service or a online shop for name changes, race changes, apparance change, etc. Also doesn't have chronoscrolls.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I have no hate for GW2, in fact I am a fan of a significant part of the game and thought it was well worth the box cost to me, but I have stopped playing it now in order to take a MMO break and cleanse the palate (so to speak) for FFXIV.

Why?

Because, I am hoping, it will offer me a more convincing trinity role based PvE group play game, as well as housing and enjoyable dungeons.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

Not sure why I've grown tired of GW2. Perhaps it's just not as much of a virtual world as I would like it to be. I had been playing a lot of Rift recently, but am currently taking a break from that until after the expansion releases, so I can read reviews and thoughts from long time players.

I've also tried MMO hopping. Bought The Secret World, bought The Lord of the Rings Online Mithril Edition, played some Dungeons & Dragons Online, played RaiderZ, but nothing is hitting that sweet spot for me quite right (Rift and The Secret World being the ones  that got close-ish).

Maybe I don't know what I'm looking for completely. Huge world, tons of in depth crafting, player/guild housing, guild and/or faction warfare, good story, etc. That's what sounds good to me, just haven't found anything that tickles my fancy yet.

So, at the moment, I've jumped into some single player games. Picked up a joystick and got into Evochron Mercenary, Galaxy On Fire 2 HD, and I've sunk most of my time into X3:Albion Prelude. 

Non-computer game wise, I picked up a 285 card Magic: The Gathering Deck Builders Toolkit and a 60 card premade deck plus two 15 card boosters. Been having quite a lot of fun playing that with some friends and spending some time putting together various sorts of decks.