Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 refunds...what??

AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274
So I bought GW2 just a week after release and play casually. I have been enjoying it and can right away pick out the features I like the game. I also watch a few live streams when I can't play and recently heard a lot of people have received refunds for the purchase of GW2. How is this possible and why exactly? I really don't see anything wrong with the game considering you buy it, play for free and its a mmo. Did I miss something?

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Where did you hear this?

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by AC1074
    So I bought GW2 just a week after release and play casually. I have been enjoying it and can right away pick out the features I like the game. I also watch a few live streams when I can't play and recently heard a lot of people have received refunds for the purchase of GW2. How is this possible and why exactly? I really don't see anything wrong with the game considering you buy it, play for free and its a mmo. Did I miss something?

without knowing their reasons for asking for a refund, its hard to even 'generalise' as to what you might have missed, it could even be for technical reasons, or maybe they got hacked, whatever, there can be many genuine reasons for getting a refund for any game, either way, Arenanet wouldnt actually give a refund unless they felt that the players involved had a genuine reason for doing so, which would have to be something more than, not liking the game, unless they were being extremely generous that is. image

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Phry

without knowing their reasons for asking for a refund, its hard to even 'generalise' as to what you might have missed, it could even be for technical reasons, or maybe they got hacked, whatever, there can be many genuine reasons for getting a refund for any game, either way, Arenanet wouldnt actually give a refund unless they felt that the players involved had a genuine reason for doing so, which would have to be something more than, not liking the game, unless they were being extremely generous that is. image

unless numerous members on this site or official forums are lying i have seen several claim they ordered from ANET and have called them and got issued a refund just for not liking the game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    I've heard similar stories, people playing for weeks gotten to lvl 80 then get bored and ask for a refund and getting it.
  • AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    Where did you hear this?

Towellie's Twitch live stream as well as here

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

unless numerous members on this site or official forums are lying i have seen several claim they ordered from ANET and have called them and got issued a refund just for not liking the game

Then their being very generous.. wonder how many refunds they've given out ?image

Then their being very generous.. wonder how many refunds they've given out ?image

i agree.... 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

It makes perfect sense if ANET is confident in their game. Now they can offer GW2 satisfaction guaranteed. Don't really need a free trial now. Anyone on the fence has no reason not to try the game. Not to mention the bonus to word of mouth advertising. Even if you don't like the game, you'd be a hell of a lot more likely to praise ANET even if you didn't feel like you got your money's worth when they give it back.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

It makes perfect sense if ANET is confident in their game. Now they can offer GW2 satisfaction guaranteed. Don't really need a free trial now. Anyone on the fence has no reason not to try the game. Not to mention the bonus to word of mouth advertising. Even if you don't like the game, you'd be a hell of a lot more likely to praise ANET even if you didn't feel like you got your money's worth when they give it back.

lol not on this site:)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

No you can send an email saying you don't like the game and they will give you your money back. No questions asked.  I commend them for this.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

It's a good PR move.

Also, what's the big deal?  A lot of restaurants do this as well.  If you aren't satisfied with the meal, complain, and the better ones will comp it for you.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    Originally posted by grimal

It's a good PR move.

Also, what's the big deal?  A lot of restaurants do this as well.  If you aren't satisfied with the meal, complain, and the better ones will comp it for you.

Awwww yea dat PR move!!!

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Sorry, I'm not sure I get what you are saying.

(honestly, I  wasn't putting them down for this, on the contrary. I think it's a great thing for them to do, I also think it's more profitable in the long run.)

It's a good PR move.

i'm fine with someone buying something playing for a couple min and saying it sucks getting their money back.. but for someone to play to 80 then get their money back is overly generous of ANET  imho.. but guess if they allow it who am i to say not go for it...

Sorry, I'm not sure I get what you are saying.

(honestly, I  wasn't putting them down for this, on the contrary. I think it's a great thing for them to do, I also think it's more profitable in the long run.)

was making a joke as I have seen several claim they got full refunds of this game yet still see them bash ANET for being a money grubbing company 

It's a good PR move.

i'm fine with someone buying something playing for a couple min and saying it sucks getting their money back.. but for someone to play to 80 then get their money back is overly generous of ANET  imho.. but guess if they allow it who am i to say not go for it...

Sears used to have a policy similar to this where you could literally own a thing for months or even longer and then return it for a refund no questions asked.  Or at least that is how I remember it.

It's a good PR move.

Sears used to have a policy similar to this where you could literally own a thing for months or even longer and then return it for a refund no questions asked.  Or at least that is how I remember it.

don't think that applied for electronics and almost postitive not for video games.. could be wrong though

It's a good PR move.

don't think that applied for electronics and almost postitive not for video games.. could be wrong though

No, not for video games as I am talking about 30 or so years ago and video games weren't really....a market?  But the point is, this is not an entirely new return policy.

No, not for video games as I am talking about 30 or so years ago and video games weren't really....a market?  But the point is, this is not an entirely new return policy.

i see but in todays economy it's pretty unheard of especially for a PC game.. most game stores wont take any PC games back once they are opened.. although this may of changed I dunno haven't tried to return a PC game in years

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

It's a good PR move.

I going to go out and purchase all MMOs and play them through and get my refunds Awwww yea dat return Policy is old as hell in the video game industry.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

I played for the first three days, the AH was down, there were a lot of bugs, and the SPVP was not what I had hoped for.  

Refunded within hours of the request.  I was really impressed.  My reason was the game wasn't working as advertised as the AH was down and the tournement PVP was down.   Just my personal experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_assurance

"Two principles included in QA are: "Fit for purpose", the product should be suitable for the intended purpose; and "Right first time", mistakes should be eliminated. QA includes management of the quality of raw materials, assemblies, products and components, services related to production, and management, production and inspection processes."  - From the sourced page.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Implied+warranty+of+fitness  

This is how you can get a refund based off my complaint.  ^

Originally posted by sammyeli

It's a good PR move.

I going to go out and purchase all MMOs and play them through and get my refunds Awwww yea dat return Policy is old as hell in the video game industry.

Yeah they stopped allowing video game returns sometime in the early to mid 90s if I remember correctly due to the obvious pirating.

But seeing that you can't really pirate a GW2 account as they are all kept track of it's really not the same thing.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

I played for the first three days, the AH was down, there were a lot of bugs, and the SPVP was not what I had hoped for.  

Refunded within hours of the request.  I was really impressed.  My reason was the game wasn't working as advertised as the AH was down and the tournement PVP was down.   Just my personal experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_assurance

"Two principles included in QA are: "Fit for purpose", the product should be suitable for the intended purpose; and "Right first time", mistakes should be eliminated. QA includes management of the quality of raw materials, assemblies, products and components, services related to production, and management, production and inspection processes."  - From the sourced page.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Implied+warranty+of+fitness  

This is how you can get a refund based off my complaint.  ^

Requesting a refund after 3 days seems reasonable, but taking it back after 2 months and reaching level 80 seems like a stretch.

But hey, its their policy.....

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

As I recall you could do it during the BWE's. Remember you pretty much had to pay full price to access them, which rangled with some people.  I know personally of two people who played two of the BWE's and decided it wasn't for them. As it was from the ANET online store they managed to get their moneyback with little hassle.

I doubt you could do that now though, I mean whats the time limit for that? I haven't played for two eeeks so should I get my money back becasue it's, 'not for me'? Seems like a strange policy to me, so I'd suggest whoever told you that's BSing.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

I just requested a refund of my pre purchase,lets see if this is true.

Update: They indeed refunded me,no questions asked even though i have asked for a refund just yesterday ( i have pre purchased).