Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guess when SWTOR will get the first expansion!

Comments

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by deakon
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    Wow... so many trolls. Never? That is way over the top! If failures like Age of Conan and DDO got expansions, then I am pretty sure the #2 sub-based MMO is due for one or more, that being SWTOR. But yet, because people expected the game to reinvent the wheel and it didn't, we get this torrential downpour of negativity. Where is all the negativity for TSW , WoW, and GW2? This community is really biased... smh.

I like swtor, played for 8 months and enjoyed it for the most part, but the thing that I enjoyed most about it was the leveling experience and that was mainly due the story, and thats the problem.

For a SWTOR expantion pack to be worth it, it would need to add 3/4 planets and continue with chapter 4 of the class story, thats 8 class stories, 16 voice actors for the main protagonists, 40 for companions and then all the supporting cast. Then ontop of that you have to voice the content on the 3/4 planets, then you have the flashpoints to voice, thats alot of voice actors to employ. Then you have to think about things like adding new classes, and all the voice work that would need.

I would love an expantion pack if I'm honest. Loved the agent story and the ending made me want more, I'm just not convinced it's cost effective due to all the voice work needed and tbh, if it didnt have all the voice work I dont think it would be worth coming back for.

This, I have the exact same feelings.

I love the leveling in SWTOR, I actually went back to do 2 story arcs more just recently, I was supposed to wait for the F2P but I needed some Star Wars fill and decided to drop one month pay. The leveling however is one of the biggest problems of this game indeed, from a mmorpg perspective, the game becomes so empty after you are done with it. I played an Agent at release, and I felt like there's absolutely nothing to do after the story was done since I'm not much into raiding.

They propably planned to create expansions and continue the story bits, but the problem is they also thought this game will have like at least 2 mil subscribers after the honeymoon period. That's crazy considering that the game ends after the leveling experience unless you want to continue with basic raiding or instanced PvP.

It's sad and upsetting to witness how a dev team can be so arrogant. They have little experience on MMO's but dont listen to their customers at all, and like kids try to blame failure on everything else. It's a nice game for many parts imo, but it just does not work very well as a mmorpg and does not have longevity.

Where DID all the money go? They had huge crew making this game. It would have been so easy to implement swoop/pod-racing miningame like the current space game, and rather put 3D space game instead, with multiplayer, heck even delay it if it would have been so hard to make. Not to mention allow people to play pazaak at cantinas, something I was really much expecting for my boredom moments, but no, nothing. Story -> Raiding, PvP, or Nothing. Not what you expect from a huge team.

Meh, I'm stretching this post, I just want to like this game more, damn arrogant assholes leading these dev teams into oblivion and damn EA for turning everything into shit.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Originally posted by deakon
    I actually like swtor, played it for over 8 months, but even i picked never and unless something major happens to bring players back I will stick with that option

The game has potential, but it needs a NGE (in a good way).. a new planet and some polishing here and there won't cut it

SWTOR needs a NGE in the worst way.. I really don't see it lasting more then a year or two..  It's just too much of a linear themepark ride into bordom..  Some planets are ok like Tatooine, while others are just nothing more then a mouse maze like Nar Shaddaa.. Talk about Skinner's box coming to an MMO.. lol  If I was in charge of the "redo" of SWTOR I would start by shit canning  most of the storyline BS..  I personally play an MMO to make and live "MY" story, not some canned one that a dev makes every class go thru..  I would expand on some planets, and completely remake others.. I would also probably can 90% of the general questing as well and make the planets more dynamic like what GW2 and Rift are doing..   EVENTS are the wave of the future, not quest hubs..  

Change space combat to more like Eve, or E&B.. The single player space on rails is ok for a Xbox, but not for a living MMO.. Even space combat like Star Trek Online is better then TOR.. It has to change..  I would also like more distraction activities to do when not out getting experience, such as pod racing, or multi-player snowspeeder missions and whatnots..

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by TigerAero

Because of freeloaders. They are against everything I value in life. If one freeloader can enjoy max level and items in a game, that game I wil never play.

I have played WoW but I have 4x 90's now and decided enough is enough. I tried Rift, didn't like the soul thing and currently playing TSW. I didn't mention it above because it's a sub game and we were talking about free-ish games.

Your statement anbout the freeloaders is wrong.

As pointed out by someone else, if a freeloader unlocks all the features for a months with cartel coins he pays 28$, instead of 15$ for a "all-inclusive" sub month.

lvl 1-50 without paying anything will be atrocious and crippled, I can´t believe any freeloader will have fun playing like that.

Quicktravel: extra payment

More than 5 warzones a week: extra payment

Playing OPs: extra payment

Playing Railshooter: extra payment

Playing more than 3 flashpoints a week: extra payment

Equipping artifact items: extra payment

and so forth, the list goes on...

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Because of freeloaders. They are against everything I value in life. If one freeloader can enjoy max level and items in a game, that game I wil never play.

I have played WoW but I have 4x 90's now and decided enough is enough. I tried Rift, didn't like the soul thing and currently playing TSW. I didn't mention it above because it's a sub game and we were talking about free-ish games.

As pointed out by someone else, if a freeloader unlocks all the features for a months with cartel coins he pays 28$, instead of 15$ for a "all-inclusive" sub month.

lvl 1-50 without paying anything will be atrocious and crippled, I can´t believe any freeloader will have fun playing like that.

is that what thier free to play model is like?  why not just sell some lightsaber skins and ewok mini pets?  that sounds terrible.

Originally posted by muffins89

is that what thier free to play model is like?  why not just sell some lightsaber skins and ewok mini pets?  that sounds terrible.

basically yes, that is the F2P model. Nickel and dime for many many things, but on the other hand you are able to pay exactly for what you want/need.

hating space missions? don´t pay for it

hating PvP? don´t pay for a Warzone pass..

not raiding? skip the OPs pass..

It´s full customization of the game experience

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    it's an interesting take on f2p i guess.  i've never heard of game going to such lengths.  i havent played many f2p titles though.  could work i guess if the player wasnt constantly reminded of a cash shop.  althought if it's as limited as it sounds it might remind the players quite often.
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by muffins89
    it's an interesting take on f2p i guess.  i've never heard of game going to such lengths.  i havent played many f2p titles though.  could work i guess if the player wasnt constantly reminded of a cash shop.  althought if it's as limited as it sounds it might remind the players quite often.

They invested a massive amount of cash into developing SWTOR, they have to do something with it before it dies a death and F2P is the only option they have.

This game haemorraged subs alarmingly fast, it was a horrific failure in that department.

I bought it, i played it for 2 months, enjoyed the single-player game and storyline, played 4-5 of them to completion but then what? PvP? Fun for a few weeks but after that, limited, repetitive, pointless. Dungeons? good fun first time through but after that, repetitive, boring, pointless.

This is the problem with a lot of modern themepark "mmo's", they are single player games with optional multiplayer aspects and can be completed quite quickly. Unless they plan on WEEKLY content updates or SIGNIFICANT monthly updates, forget it and go F2P. other similar, more modern games such as TSW have suffered the same problem.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Btw Makeb-patch increases level cap, does that count towards expansion? :P It's possible that their initial plan was to release expansion for 2012 xmas, but since the layoffs and mishaps it's possible that they have cut down the expansion and adds stuff in patches when ready and possible.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    I expect they will package the "space thing" and the makelb together and call it an xpac.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Expect something like the "expansion" bioware made for warhammer.
  • JobeArthurJobeArthur Member UncommonPosts: 41

I honestly thought it was maybe a joke or a snide comment someone made...then I saw the F2P bit on the official forums. I fealt really sad. Like all afternoon.

Always the people better off have to support those who are lazy and well quite frankly can't afford nothing because they don't make/produce enough.

Really sucks when every game you've played in the last 3 years has now gone F2P.

I hope GW2 and Warz keeps me occupied long enough waiting for the next big thing.

^^^ The demograhic audience of TOR players..

I am so envious of you, I wish i could be so easily confused and clueless.

Ahhhh to wake up everyday and think that the whole MMO industries jump to FTP has nothing to do with poor quality and boring unoriginal ideas, but is actually catering to welfare recipients. 

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    This topic is perfect example that hate and bias always over shadows logic and prudence. How can anyone say 'never' with a straight face is beyond me.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by lifeordinary
    This topic is perfect example that hate and bias always over shadows logic and prudence. How can anyone say 'never' with a straight face is beyond me.

Because EA/Bioware have pretty much said so.

In its current state I seriously do not see an expansion happening at all, unless F2P becomes a roaring success (which looks doubtful in its existing incarnation) and gives EA loads of money.  Logic folows they will have not enough money to do expansions, as the subs are around the 500K mark now maybe even below, and they need 500K subs to break even. It is a miracle they can keep the game running let alone have money to do more expansions.

If the game was not expsnsive to run and they did not need 500K subs then 1) It would not be going F2P and 2) Expansions would probably be possible 3) Most of the people that made Bioware Bioware would not have left 4) There may not have been any layoffs

SWTOR is not your typical MMO. Even WOW probably does not need 500K subs to stay profitable, but it has it and a whole lot more!

Originally posted by superniceguy

In its current state I seriously do not see an expansion happening at all, unless F2P becomes a roaring success (which looks doubtful in its existing incarnation) and gives EA loads of money.  Logic folows they will have not enough money to do expansions, as the subs are around the 500K mark now maybe even below, and they need 500K subs to break even. It is a miracle they can keep the game running let alone have money to do more expansions.

If the game was not expsnsive to run and they did not need 500K subs then 1) It would not be going F2P and 2) Expansions would probably be possible 3) Most of the people that made Bioware Bioware would not have left 4) There may not have been any layoffs

SWTOR is not your typical MMO. Even WOW probably does not need 500K subs to stay profitable, but it has it and a whole lot more!

EA / BIOWARE said there 'never' will be an expansion? care to share the link because i would like to read it up.

EA / BIOWARE said there 'never' will be an expansion? care to share the link because i would like to read it up.

It just seems wishful thinking on your part that there will be an expansion. They have said there will be no more story after 50. I can not find the link for that.

Lets have a look at the evidence.

• They have not mentioned anything about expansions, and said there will be content every 6 weeks
    • They say the game needs about 500K subs to break even and the current state is not good and that was back in August, when there was more population than today "The President of EA Labels Frank Gibeau said the Star Wars game would still break even so long as it maintained 500,000 subscribers, but admitted that its current performance was "not good enough"."
    • The Doctors have quit Bioware and gaming altogether plus other key Bioware member have quit
    • Mass layoffs = less people able to work on expansion
    Do you seriously think there will be an expansion if they do not get their money from F2P?

Like I said if F2P becomes a success for EA and gives them loads of money then there probably will be an expansion, but under its current state it is not happening. How can they afford to do an expansion when they are not getting their 500K subs? Trees?

My opinion is not down to hate and bias, but logic and prudence, your opinion is down to bias and wishful thinking.

tbh the choice should be unlikely more than never, but never is the best choice in that list

I am confident that there will be an expansion, but the personal story "Act 1,2, interlude" is OVER, no matter if 10 million subs or 200K.

From a story point of view, this was the development of each character from academy to hero status.

Next act has to focus on an epic galaxy spanning threat, where all classes can participate in a more open manner.

Remember, personal story of little sith acolyte becoming dark council member -> done.

Now it´s time for WARS.

STAR WARS!

:D

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I am confident that there will be an expansion, but the personal story "Act 1,2, interlude" is OVER, no matter if 10 million subs or 200K.

From a story point of view, this was the development of each character from academy to hero status.

Next act has to focus on an epic galaxy spanning threat, where all classes can participate in a more open manner.

Remember, personal story of little sith acolyte becoming dark council member -> done.

Now it´s time for WARS.

STAR WARS!

:D

I actually might agree with you here. 

And it would make it much easier for Devs to actiually make expansions. No more worries about 8 separate class quests.

Well... we shall see. We are really all treading deep waters here image

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176

Does Makeb count as an expansion.

I don't know if you know this, but they FOUND AN ITEM in the Cartel Store called "Unlocks Chapter 4: Rise of The Hutt Cartel".  So I think an expac is coming.

Rift has 150,000 subs (if not less) and they have an expansion.  Why couldn't TOR?   Contrary to popular belief, Voice Acting is not even that expensive. 

Originally posted by BigAndShiny

Does Makeb count as an expansion.

I don't know if you know this, but they FOUND AN ITEM in the Cartel Store called "Unlocks Chapter 4: Rise of The Hutt Cartel".  So I think an expac is coming.

Rift has 150,000 subs (if not less) and they have an expansion.  Why couldn't TOR?   Contrary to popular belief, Voice Acting is not even that expensive. 

Rift does not need 500K subs to break even, SWTOR does

"The President of EA Labels Frank Gibeau said the Star Wars game would still break even so long as it maintained 500,000 subscribers, but admitted that its current performance was "not good enough"."

That is just needed to keep the game running and functional, for an expansion they would need more than that.

It just seems wishful thinking on your part that there will be an expansion. They have said there will be no more story after 50. I can not find the link for that.

• They have not mentioned anything about expansions, and said there will be content every 6 weeks
    • They say the game needs about 500K subs to break even and the current state is not good and that was back in August, when there was more population than today "The President of EA Labels Frank Gibeau said the Star Wars game would still break even so long as it maintained 500,000 subscribers, but admitted that its current performance was "not good enough"."
    • The Doctors have quit Bioware and gaming altogether plus other key Bioware member have quit
    Do you seriously think there will be an expansion if they do not get their money from F2P?

Like I said if F2P becomes a success for EA and gives them loads of money then there probably will be an expansion, but under its current state it is not happening. How can they afford to do an expansion when they are not getting their 500K subs? Trees?

My opinion is not down to hate and bias, but logic and prudence, your opinion is down to bias and wishful thinking.

tbh the choice should be unlikely more than never, but never is the best choice in that list

So in other words no official info where 'EA / Bioware' said 'never' to an expansion. You could have just said you got nothing and theer would be no need to waste so much space.

I don't give a rats ass about your logic. When you deal in 'absoloutes' and start using words like 'never' means you are quite sure about yourself. That is why i asked for some official info and you gave me none.

People who use logic don't deal in absolutes.  

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

Dude you said 'EA/ Bioware' pretty much said so; that is why you were asked to back it up with some official info; You could have just said that it is your own speculation without trying to make it look as if EA / Bioware made an annoucement that there will 'never' be an expansion.

All you gave was some quote about falling subs and your own speculations about how layoffs means less people for expansions and that they didn't say anything about expansion other than content every 6 weeks which somehow translated to 'never'.

I find it very ironic that you are telling him that he is being biased and indulging in ''wishful thinking'.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

So in other words no official info where 'EA / Bioware' said 'never' to an expansion. You could have just said you got nothing and theer would be no need to waste so much space.

I don't give a rats ass about your logic. When you deal in 'absoloutes' and start using words like 'never' means you are quite sure about yourself. That is why i asked for some official info and you gave me none.

The name of this thread is "Gues when SWTOR will get the first expansion!"

If everyone in this thread responded, "We can't really make a prediction because EA/Bioware has never made an official statemnet in regard to the possibility of an expansion." It would get pretty "boring" rather "quickly". Of this I'm absolutely sure.

Originally posted by tiefighter25

The name of this thread is "Gues when SWTOR will get the first expansion!"

If everyone in this thread responded, "We can't really make a prediction because EA/Bioware has never made an official statemnet in regard to the possibility of an expansion." It would get pretty "boring" rather "quickly". Of this I'm absolutely sure.

Please read again where this argument started from. I expressed my disbelief at people being so sure that there will 'never' be an expansion. Superncieguy quoted me and said that there will be never an expansion because EA / Bioware said so. So i thought maybe some official annocement was made and i asked for some link and all i got  in reply was more speculations and guess work.

I absolutely have nothing against people making predictions. But when you say 'EA / Bioware' said there will be no expansion it is not a guess work anymore and naturaly someone is going to ask you for the official statement.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    My apologies then. It is getting hard to follow with the quotes within quotes within quotes.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by lalartu

yeah, most of us were like ...never?

Unless f2p is considered to be an expenasion, in which case, pretty damn soon.

Although I would call it...what's the opposite of expansion? contraction?

hahah good one