Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

(Poll) Would you want to live in a world with Magic/The Force like in a MMO?

ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 7,906Member Uncommon

Simple question. If you could alter this reality in the way, that suddenly magic, or the Force was real, would you want that? If so, why. And if yes, what sort of powers would you want? (Nothing over the top, like being God. ^^)

I will add my answer when a few answers are in. Don't want to influence the poll from the start.

EDIT:

a) magic is "rare" (= only for us^^), let's say 15% or so have strong magic, the rest only a bit. Assume you are among the 15%

b) Ressurrection and endless life is out of the question.

c) Flying is limited to 10-2% of the people, the other must take other super-travel-powers.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• defector1968defector1968 Nar ShaddaaPosts: 393Member Common
    LIFE DRAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • zymurgeistzymurgeist Pittsville, VAPosts: 5,215Member Uncommon
    I don't trust most people to maintain control of a car. Imagine the damage they could do with magic?

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

• KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 20,008Member Uncommon
    1. Resurrection/respawn
    2. Flying
    3. Healing

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• huihuhuhuhuihuhuhu shawnee, KSPosts: 28Member
    ressurection would be cool then we could have a real life Secret World lol
  • kabitoshinkabitoshin Posts: 758Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    1. Resurrection/respawn 2. Flying 3. Healing

This would be awesome, but then people would be killing other for fun. Would we return all healed up or partially blow apart face?

• coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,928Member Uncommon

Yes as long as it would be possible to effectively control.

The best scenario would be only me being able to use magic.

I would be ok with some healing/ress, some basic conjuration spells (food, drink), offensive spells (some more basic, like fire and frost bolts and then something huge and massive like blizzard / inferno), some CC (blind, fear) and then some survivability / mobility (invisibility, flying). Being a male wizard, I would also welcome "attract any female" spell :))

Waiting for L2 EU Classic

I totally would want warlock summoning spells.
    Originally posted by coretex666

Being a male wizard, I would also welcome "attract any female" spell :))

Hopefully this spell wouldn't have any diminishing returns, then she'd snap out of the spell and run away.

1. Global population growth rises to unsustainable levels overnight.

2. Midair collisions and bodies falling from the sky, massive traffic jams over cities. 

3. Reckless behavior skyrockets due to lack of consequences.

• KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 20,008Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

2. Midair collisions and bodies falling from the sky, massive traffic jams over cities. 

Ah, but remember, these powers are only given to a select few, just like a NPC, you're average Joe doesn't get them. And you can bet that those with magical powers will do a fine job in culling the herd.

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• defector1968defector1968 Nar ShaddaaPosts: 393Member Common

the OP said no something like gods, which u cover the god 100%

• Kuro1nKuro1n GothenburgPosts: 771Member
    Necromancy and mind control. I want to create my own empire. :D

Ah, but remember, these powers are only given to a select few, just like a NPC, you're average Joe doesn't get them. And you can bet that those with magical powers will do a fine job in culling the herd.

In an MMO even the rats have supernatural powers. Health regen, respawn, dropping treasure.  In the real world there are no non player characters. It's fun to dream about but I wouldn't want to live there. After all we might be the average joes at the mercy of the select few. Power corrupts.

• RefMinorRefMinor MyTownPosts: 3,452Member
    There can be only one
  • pvpirlpvpirl Orlando, FLPosts: 167Member

I don't trust most people to maintain control of a car. Imagine the damage they could do with magic?

this.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Freeland, MI, MIPosts: 1,122Member
    This actually quite a deep question that deserves more thought than what we can muster in a forum like this.  The reality is that some people DO believe they aready live in a world with similar powers.  I've seen some very interesting things in my lifetime that make me entertain the possibility that elements of these types of powers do exist.  Of course, many assume that the only things that exist are those things that can be measured by our senses and equipment that we've invented.  Who knows - we may soon be able to muster up the mental energy to float the remote from the coffee table to our hands.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 7,906Member Uncommon

Bwuahahaha! I spilled my coffee imagining it! XD

I guess we can assume

a) magic is "rare" (= only for us^^)

b) Ressurrection and endless life is out of the question ;)

c) Flying is limited to 10-2% of the people, the other must take other super-travel-powers

Originally posted by Roxtarr
    This actually quite a deep question that deserves more thought than what we can muster in a forum like this.  The reality is that some people DO believe they aready live in a world with similar powers.  I've seen some very interesting things in my lifetime that make me entertain the possibility that elements of these types of powers do exist.  Of course, many assume that the only things that exist are those things that can be measured by our senses and equipment that we've invented.  Who knows - we may soon be able to muster up the mental energy to float the remote from the coffee table to our hands.

While I can believe in something in RL, I meant those really strong powers, like Superheroes, Magicians in D&D or Jedi/Sith have. ;)

My choice is, yes. I loathe the limitation we have, and would gladly accept the risks for myself, given I have magical powers.

My powers of choice would be illusion and mind control/manipulation. I'd be more the sneaky puppeteer behind the curtain guy. ;)

OR, my magical power would be to prevent weight gain and male balding, in turn of people becoming my servants, muhahaha. XD

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• FoxkounFoxkoun St. Charles, MOPosts: 96Member

I consider anime like .Hack to be a big exploration on this idea. And I believe that it'd be no different from now, just more boom to a word or finger wave.

In my opinion, it would present an opportunity to explore self-dependance of sorts, as well as interdependence. Really, when things are done trial and error, good and bad come of it and it just comes down to individuals to discern that much. Now if the world went harry-potterish, I'd say f it and walk away.

• QuirhidQuirhid TamperePosts: 5,969Member Common
    I voted no, because it would unavoidably lead to a new form of segregation among other things.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• VorthanionVorthanion Laguna Vista, TXPosts: 2,121Member Uncommon
    Hell yes.  No matter what kind of world / universe we could live in, you have to take the bad with the good.  Bad people with magic are no worse than bad people with guns or political power.

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Osaka, ARPosts: 363Member

The Force is real.

I can shoot energy bolts out of my fingers and stun random people. The postman is very afraid of me.

• TamanousTamanous Edmonton, ABPosts: 2,126Member Uncommon

Ya living in a world where people can fly, kill people at range, send people into space, use amazing potions to heal ... would all be crazy and unimaginable!

There is no place more magical than where we live right now. You have to open your eyes to see it. Even in a fantasy world you will still have many there ignoring most of the wonders that surround them just like we have here.

You stay sassy!

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Auburn, INPosts: 991Member Uncommon
    After I learned my invisibility spell I'd head right to the womans shower room *grin*

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

• TamanousTamanous Edmonton, ABPosts: 2,126Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    After I learned my invisibility spell I'd head right to the womans shower room *grin*

That's not creepy and stocker-like at all.

Thanks for the input.

You stay sassy!

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Auburn, INPosts: 991Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

The Force is real.

I can shoot energy bolts out of my fingers and stun random people. The postman is very afraid of me.

The postman isn't staying away because you have the force, he is staying away because you think you have the force lol

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy