Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The only thing keeping me from actually trying this

RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I'm actually considering giving this a try, but to be honest - I've heard that the game has no tolerance for new players and that enduring verbal abuse is all part of the learning curve.  Is this true?  Is there a 'safe' way to have a decent grasp of the game without being the bad wheel on your team for dozens of matches?  Real life is tough enough sometimes so I have no interest in getting cussed out for hours in a video game.

Edit: because typing is hard

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Comments

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Its true,the community is made up of 12 years old brats.You may encounter friendly players but they are rare.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Zadawn
    Its true,the community is made up of 12 years old brats.You may encounter friendly players but they are rare.

I don't eve know if I'd like the game but it's so popular, I at least wanted to give it a fair shot.  From what you've stated and from others - why isn't there a 'safe' place for players to learn this game???

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Try it, its not that bad. The community if much better since Honor was implemented.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

Originally posted by Papadam
    Try it, its not that bad. The community if much better since Honor was implemented.

Honor? I'll have to look this up.  Is this like a 'nice guy' ranking or something?

Originally posted by Roxtarr

Honor? I'll have to look this up.  Is this like a 'nice guy' ranking or something?

After a game you can give honor to people who were friendly or helpfull, people with enough honor get a badge on their portrait. Its not much but from my expereince it has made a huge differnce.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Something like that yes. its a passing trend, though. people will get bored of it so now is probably the best time to hop in if you're going to at all.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626

I personally love this game. Unfortunately people with bad tudes (young and old) are in every game these days. It's true that League of Legends has a lot of these people as it is the most played game on the internet. The gameplay is really fun, and there is a lot to learn and do. That being said.. if you've never played a game like Dota or Heroes of Newerth then there is a HUGE learning curve. 

Once you get used to these types of games it's not so bad. But if this is your first time, it will not be easy. The bes thing I can suggest to you to not get cursed at is to just try your hardest to be a team player. You will have games where it will feel impossisble to do that, and you will have games where everything goes perfectly. Take what people say to you with a grain of salt if they are angry. If they are trying to help you, than listen. HoN's community was much worse than anything I have seen here. So I would give the game a shot. It's really fun.

Originally posted by afropuff420

I personally love this game. Unfortunately people with bad tudes (young and old) are in every game these days. It's true that League of Legends has a lot of these people as it is the most played game on the internet. The gameplay is really fun, and there is a lot to learn and do. That being said.. if you've never played a game like Dota or Heroes of Newerth then there is a HUGE learning curve. 

Once you get used to these types of games it's not so bad. But if this is your first time, it will not be easy. The bes thing I can suggest to you to not get cursed at is to just try your hardest to be a team player. You will have games where it will feel impossisble to do that, and you will have games where everything goes perfectly. Take what people say to you with a grain of salt if they are angry. If they are trying to help you, than listen. HoN's community was much worse than anything I have seen here. So I would give the game a shot. It's really fun.

Thanks for the encouragement!  I think this is what I was looking for.  I'm actually downloading it now - wish me luck!

Oh I forgot to mention that you can play in a team vs. bots. Never seen anyone raging against bots so its a good place to learn how to play in a team. 

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• CerbearusCerbearus Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I have been playing this game for several years now and have gotten many friends into it. When you first start, you should only play the "Co-op vs AI" gamettype to get used to it. Players in this gametype generally are also new players, and dont rage nearly as much as in normal games. When you are summoner level 10, you can start transitioning into normal pvp games. There are many bad people, but that is what the "mute" and "report" buttons are for :) And the honor system has actually dramatically improved conduct
  • brindleburnbrindleburn Member UncommonPosts: 65

Its  a good game, You can always use the ignore feature. I have played hundreds of games but yeah I did give up recently because I just got fed up with using ignore nearly every other game. You even get cussing in character select (a sign of whats to come for the game). It also doesnt matter how good you are or who is in the right. I had one game where I was with another guy top and we were both attacking the same player. I got the kill so he starts insulting me and calling me a kill stealer. Then after that we find ourselves in the same situation so the opponet was worn down I backed off so i didnt get called a ks'er and my teammate goes and dies. It again was my fault (it kind of was the second time, I was a bit annoyed at what he had called me, it kind of felt like revenge). 

I would however suggest trying the dominion mode of the game. the games dont last as long and I find there is far less cussing in that mode. In fact when I go back to the game after being away for a while I will start in dominion as its a good place to learn the mechanics of the champs. 

You do however start at level 1 and level to 30 so whilst levelling the amount of cussing isnt so bad and should hopefully be matched with people of a similar level. 

Also you dont have to do the PVP side of it. You can create games where it's just you against computer opponents or you can join a team that goes against the AI. These are much easier games. 

Id recommend downloading and trying it against the ai first. Then try PVP whilst you are still a low level so you are hopefully against fellow newbs.

Its also exciting to watch the matches that the pro's play. 

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

Turn off cross team chat.

Play a couple bot games daily. Go to PVP as soon as humanly possible and don't be afraid to ask for help.

The Tribunal does a better job than most moderating tools to keep the community helpful. At lower summoner levels you'll be playing with a few nerf accounts and many new players so it'll be mutual learning. 

Don't be afraid to read guides.

REALLY don't be afraid to modify those guides / item builds to your play style.

Playing comfortably and confidently is the key to being a great League player. Being respectful and nice actually carries you far in the game's community as well. Contrary to what people say.

a yo ho ho

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by 3-4thElf

Turn off cross team chat.

Play a couple bot games daily. Go to PVP as soon as humanly possible and don't be afraid to ask for help.

The Tribunal does a better job than most moderating tools to keep the community helpful. At lower summoner levels you'll be playing with a few nerf accounts and many new players so it'll be mutual learning. 

Don't be afraid to read guides.

REALLY don't be afraid to modify those guides / item builds to your play style.

Playing comfortably and confidently is the key to being a great League player. Being respectful and nice actually carries you far in the game's community as well. Contrary to what people say.

This guy brought up a good point. Once you get used to how the game plays you can fast track your skill level by reading guides. There are a few decent sites for champion guides. I prefer the following:

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php  (Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see the champion list). Make sure to read the full guide and watch videos if they have them. The more info you retain the better!

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/browse is another site with guides.

League has become a major player in E-Sports as well. So watching the pros play will also teach you a lot if you are competitive. Good luck!

• pit101pit101 Member UncommonPosts: 68

Id run through the whole beginning tutorial. VERY very basic, but it does help lay some groundwork on the general idea of the game.

Then set up some custom matches with you+bots vs bots. do a few of those until you find a champion you think you could stick with a while, then head into "co-op vs ai".

I would do those so you can practice actual teamwork and communication (as theres none of either with bots). Its also good for still figuring out champions.

But I would jump into pvp earlier than what some others might be saying. Not doing them all the time, but just a couple maybe for the experience. It is different playing against  other players for sure, and its good to start while your amongst other lower levels.

Dont worry about runes until you can get tier 3 (which unlock at level 20 I believe).

And my final bit of advice would be to try and always stay positive. Things can get..intense in some games, and staying positive can help keep the team on track when you'd otherwise start falling apart.

Hope i helped some :).

I downloaded it last night and did the tutorial.  Hopefully later today I'll have some time to dig a bit deeper.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    The community has dramatically improved since they released the patch that allows players to honor each other. Being honored enough eventually gets you a badge, which for some reason people care about. There's still some bad apples, but you just ignore them and report them at the end of the match.

There is a soft elo ranking system for normal matches, so you're generally grouped with people around your own skill level. There's also bot games, so you can learn champions there and get a grasp on the game. However, you wont learn any tactics or how to play against others that way.

The game is a lot of fun and season 3 is about to start. It's addicting since your constantly learning and improving. There's 30 levels, and people wont really get serious until around lvl 20 or so. So you have plenty of time to learn the game.

You could also tell people you're new and to offer tips as you play the game.
  • DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by pit101

Id run through the whole beginning tutorial. VERY very basic, but it does help lay some groundwork on the general idea of the game.

Then set up some custom matches with you+bots vs bots. do a few of those until you find a champion you think you could stick with a while, then head into "co-op vs ai".

I would do those so you can practice actual teamwork and communication (as theres none of either with bots). Its also good for still figuring out champions.

But I would jump into pvp earlier than what some others might be saying. Not doing them all the time, but just a couple maybe for the experience. It is different playing against  other players for sure, and its good to start while your amongst other lower levels.

Dont worry about runes until you can get tier 3 (which unlock at level 20 I believe).

And my final bit of advice would be to try and always stay positive. Things can get..intense in some games, and staying positive can help keep the team on track when you'd otherwise start falling apart.

Hope i helped some :).

Best advice of the thread. Before PvP, do some Co-op vs. AI matches. But even before those, play Custom games where it's just you and nobody else but bots. This will allow you a sterile environment to at least figure out which way is up, so to speak. You should be comfortable with absolute basics like using abilities and buying items before you start playing with strangers. However, you don't need to hang out too long in AI Land because it's not the end of the world if your team loses the game due to a couple mistakes from you. It's something everyone has to learn at some point. And it is best if you get in some practice against other humans while you're still among low level players.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Oh I forgot to mention that you can play in a team vs. bots. Never seen anyone raging against bots so its a good place to learn how to play in a team. 

There are occasional jerks in those games but it's not common.  I've only played versus bots as I'm still learning and don't really want to deal with drama yet.  I had enough of that from WC3 DoTA.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

If you can't handle random anonymous online users getting upset(whom you can mute) Im surprised you are even able to live life at all.  With that being said, pick a champion, read a few guides, and play cautiously.

0 kills and 0 deaths is x1000 more helpful then 0 kills 20 deaths.  Bad or not, new or not, there is no excuse for feeding, it takes only a few braincells to not play like rambo.