Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If EQNEXT fails or flops how will it effect sandbox games.

cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
If SOE fails to deliver with a AAA sandbox, do you think it will discourage any other future investments by larger developers?

Comments

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

It's going to happen anyways. For some reason that's beyond the normal intellectual capability of mere mortal gamers, the Powers That Be in the gaming community refuse to go true Sandbox. Anything made that claims to be Sandbox will in reality be Themepark game play disguised and promoted as "what you want, a sandbox game, finally we listened, Give Us You Money Now!"

And when it fails to drive the industry, because it is after all just more of the same game play, the Powers That Be will proclaim loudly "See!? Sandbox doesn't work!" And then they'll continue to give us yet more Themepark game play, and they will call it "a return to the glory years."

Meanwhile, bloggers here and elsewhere will continue to toss out ideas of how to turn failure into "new ideas", turning old failed ideas around and around to draw eyes to their articles and debate the never ending "if only" that could...low and behold..turn failed ideas into money making gems by the power of persuasion in true internet form.

I'll be on a beach on a tropical island drinking Mai Tais and Pina Coladas, leaving all this crap behind. So don't bother me, I'm busy. image

Edit to add: Oh, and Captain and Ginger's! There are bound to be a multitude of new discoveries also, on my end of things. I'm sure I could return in 20 or more years to find that nothing has really changed around here. If I should still be alive. And if I had any desire to do so.

Once upon a time....

• pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

Themepark titles, be they indie or AAA have been sucking for years yet the industry keeps cranking them out.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Assuming it will be a sandbox. I am not entirely sure of that.
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Its SOE.................

And who cares with 3 other great sandboxes coming out. Archeage alone is what im waiting for, the repopulation loolks promising, and found a new title called greed monger today that looks very nice.

EQ shouldnt take the leap, its a good game and they will screw it up.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Yamota

This.

I sincerely doubt SOE could put out a decent sandbox game (let alone a decent game at all) at this point.

At best, it will be a hybrid themepark with sandboxish elements.

At worst, it is just Smed using the term "Sandbox style" game to drum up hype for the last piece of IP SOE has that is worth anything. And then deliver the typical "themepark with a twist".

And if it is done with the same "quality" and "attention to detail" as other SOE titles, it will most likely stink.

So, considering that EQNext will not be a sandbox except by the most liberal of definitions (and not really even then), I doubt its probable failure will affect anything.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Smed has said "sandbox style game"

the jury is out.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I don't know how much of SWG's engine they had control over. EQ name, SWG preCU principles in resources, crafting and decay? Throw in the point system for skills?

If anyone can do it, SOE can. If anyone can screw it up, SOE can.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    How about waiting until we know ANYTHING about this game?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    is it really a "sandbox" or just a marketing gimmick? I will follow-up on more info

Originally posted by Slampig
    How about waiting until we know ANYTHING about this game?

Why? There's a track record. A steady and consistent one.

Once upon a time....

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

Originally posted by cybertrucker
    If SOE fails to deliver with a AAA sandbox, do you think it will discourage any other future investments by larger developers?
    Yes, most definitely.

Publishers have avoided sandbox MMOs because they are regarded as not financially viable.

If EQ Next is a AAA Sandbox MMO and it tanks then it will only serve to prove to publishers that they were right to avoid sandbox MMOs.

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350
    It's not just sandboxes, or SOE.  Fact is MMO's as a whole have just sucked the giant suck, getting worse over the years.  It's gotten to the point where games get hyped for years, played for a month and then abandoned almost entirely.  There's been some exceptions but for the most part I can't imagine there's a lot of companies out there who still want to take the risk to do anything innovative or otherwise in this genre anymore.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

this. SoE calls EQ1 a sandbox. so I would watch out for their meaning of Sandbox.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
     Its a little early for this kind of talk isn't it? At least 2 years out from release at a guess, and no idea of actual concept.
  • pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

we need more info bros. hit up editors of MMO sites, storm twitter, demand info and interviews.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

were at least 1.5 years out before it releases I think this thread is a bit premature.  Honestly I don't expect much of out eqnext, as usually I been let down by smedley talking a good game but never delivering.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

It wont effect anything as Sandbox is not a good way for a company to make $$$.  There will continue to be the rare Triple A studio that decides to get on the Sandbox bandwagon but shortly after they will fail like every sandbox prior to the next one.  Sandbox is niche market and only really feel mainstream on this site, anywhere else you go (for MMO's) its mostly a themepark world, and we all know the best MMO's with the msot subscribers have been themeparks.

Now Sandparks or Themebox's are a whole new argument and could gain some traction.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

this. SoE calls EQ1 a sandbox. so I would watch out for their meaning of Sandbox.

Do you have a link for that statement?  It is just too outrageous to be true.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by thinktank001

I came to this thread thinking in the back of my mind, well...comparing EQ1 to today's games that have come out since WoW...it basically is a sandbox. I don't think EQN will be a total sandbox, but be EQ1 with some sandbox elements. Good enough for me I'm hoping.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

Originally posted by pvpirl

we need more info bros. hit up editors of MMO sites, storm twitter, demand info and interviews.

As you might have noticed, our illustrious overlords have been giving us less and less nuts and bolts info over the years on what exactly is in our diet of swill. It's to the point of giving us pictures and names of mighty Bosses, talk of great stories we shall play out determined by their predesigned hand and granted to we the peasantry in volumes of sameness. And promises of something new that they can't for some reason explain to us, no doubt because we are not educated enough or of quite refined enough background to grasp.

It seems the only thing good enough about us is our money, of which they shall gladly scheme to relieve of us the burden.

Once upon a time....

Originally posted by Trudge34

I came to this thread thinking in the back of my mind, well...comparing EQ1 to today's games that have come out since WoW...it basically is a sandbox. I don't think EQN will be a total sandbox, but be EQ1 with some sandbox elements. Good enough for me I'm hoping.

Hope all you want. But if it plays like a Themepark, you will not call it a Sandbox to any degree. You will simply say it had a few Sandbox elements, while admiting it is indeed a Themepark game. Much like, very much like, all the others.

Once upon a time....

*Now* would seem like a good time for Smed to explain to us how his Sandbox will actually play like a Sandbox.

Once upon a time....

• Swollen_BeefSwollen_Beef Member UncommonPosts: 190

It wont affect the future of any sandbox game. If it flops, it flops, and the year after that another sandbox will come out and so on and so forth. 

The reason it wont affect the future of sandbox games if it does flops is because gamers today are retarded when it comes to money. Which is why people spend money on day 1 DLC that was already on the disc they already paid for. but i digress. 

a sandbox game flopping means absolute dick. themepark after themepark have failed and devs continue to make themeparks and gamers continue to buy it.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

We've only heard that it's a sandbox, time will tell how the game even plays and if it will be viewed as a sandbox by the crowd. Wildstar devs told it's going to be a sandbox-themepark hybrid, but their explanation of the systems sounds like it's just going to be another fullblown themepark.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by Amaranthar
    Originally posted by Trudge34

Hope all you want. But if it plays like a Themepark, you will not call it a Sandbox to any degree. You will simply say it had a few Sandbox elements, while admiting it is indeed a Themepark game. Much like, very much like, all the others.

I don't care what it's called. Themepark, Sandbox, Sandpark, Themebox, who the fuck cares? I want my virutal world back so if that has to have more themepark elements than sandbox, I don't care. FFS, people get so caught up in trying to catagorize these games no one seems to care to find out if they're even any fun to begin with. If it is a reskin of EQ1 I would be pretty happy, if they incorporate a few updated mechanics, I'll be even happier. Bottom line is, it better have some interdependancy in it no matter what anyone can catagorize it.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger