Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] Why Do You Raid?

OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

So, why do you raid?  If you are a regular raider or simply like raids, what is your biggest motivator? Assume the game you are playing offers all these rewards.  Also assume that grinding is not necessary to achieve these rewards (a tall order I know but we're trying to get at the reasons for doing the raid itself rather than the method.)

NOTE: "All of the above" and multiple choice is not included because I'd like to get at the driver that is the most  important.  

If you do NOT like raids just hit see the results and comment away!

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I raided to rank. Top 20 affliction lock, or it was a bad night. Plus after almost 3 years of building a world ranking guild those folks became family. 15 (core) of the coolest people I had the pleasure to game with. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

i dont raid, the gameplay is a little too ugly for me. Too much greed and politics. BC's story above is touching but nothing like what ive experienced. I suppose there has  to be a few good crews out there.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

well since this is the MMO genre, I actually enjoy gameplay that deals with large scale grouping, rather than smaller scale parties.

Raiding is the only PvE concent that fits that.

so I voted other.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

well since this is the MMO genre, I actually enjoy gameplay that deals with large scale grouping, rather than smaller scale parties.

so I voted other.

I think the first pick would the one for folks who are in it for the large scale grouping -- sorry if this wasn't worded as clearly as it could be:

The challenge of epic, large scale fights against the toughest opponents -

• AegisSagaAegisSaga Member Posts: 33
    For that tingly feeling you get when you defeat the toughest opponent after countless wipes and effort with your team. The biggest nerdgasms I've heard on the internet come from those moments, lol.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I did not vote as there was no way to select multiple "reasons". That and the fact that one was missing. I would have also voted for "lack of anything else to do".

Let's party like it is 1863!

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Ok, if by Raid you mean large group tackling difficult content for lucrative rewards  - I do it for the challenge and the friendship.  If by Raid you mean doing the same content 3-4 nights a week for a month or two straight - I don't.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

I don't raid , I am not interested in the guild drama which is present in most raid guilds in the games where end game is all about raiding.I met all my in game friends while doing quests or when i had to ask a rogue to open a chest or a mage for a portal.Sadly it seems new games don't want to make players have to depend on other players at all ,'better ' to just buy the key for a locked chest from cash shop.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Ortwig

so I voted other.

I think the first pick would the one for folks who are in it for the large scale grouping -- sorry if this wasn't worded as clearly as it could be:

no its not,

because I dont like Raids for a challege. all the content can be a challange.

I only like Raids because its large scale, not because how Hard it is. Which is why the first option isnt for me.

Most MMO make Raids the hardest form of PvE. Thats not why I like to Raid. I wouldnt mind Raids being as hard as party dungeons instead of being the hardest PvE. just no MMO has ever tried that.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

so I voted other.

no its not,

I only like Raids because its large scale, not because how Hard it is. Which is why the first option isnt for me.

Most MMO make Raids the hardest form of PvE. Thats not why I like to Raid. I wouldnt mind Raids being as hard as party dungeons instead of being the hardest PvE. just no MMO has ever tried that.

LFR raids in WoW,  Swtor's normal mode raids.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by bcbully
    I raided to rank. Top 20 affliction lock, or it was a bad night. Plus after almost 3 years of building a world ranking guild those folks became family. 15 (core) of the coolest people I had the pleasure to game with. 

I raided with a good guild for a while, but I wasn't on the core team. I got in pretty often, though when someone was missing and they need a dps. I was on anyway at the right time and there was a slot 60% of the time. The core members were helpful and explained things patiently before big tricky fights for new raiders.

I could hear them on vent and they were having fun together and sounded close-knit as bc describes. It was a pleasure to run with them. I think I could have eventually got into the core team if I took the initiative: ran more raids from LFG to gear up faster, studied fights on youtube, etc.  But I didn't want to dedicate the time to that.  So it was my choice and not because the core team were elitist. They play the way they have fun and I respect that. (Often, as Robokap said, raiders like to "work" together. I have fun exploring and occasionally interacting because I have enough "fun" at work. But I can see how working together as a team is fun -- I'm just not committed enough to make it on a core raiding team.)

There were people who would come into the guild from time to time who were extremely competitive and pushy. They would do all those things I mentioned: gearing quickly, studying fights, etc. They would always point out where they were on the dps meter above others, etc. to try to force their way into the core group. They tended to jump ship quickly once they recognized that dps on the meter was not the primary criteria of the core team.  I don't know where those ulltra-competitive types go, if there are raiding guilds for them where they are eventually happy.  It seems like core teams with those kinds of egos would tear themselves apart. 

But my experience was positive. I just didn't want to schedule and commit more time. I understand why people raid and I know you can find good guilds and can get into raiding if you are patient and make the relationships matter. 

• joseph567joseph567 Member CommonPosts: 51
    I don't raid.  The Idea of being forced to team up with random people or others in general, nausiates me.  So if I cannot solo it myself, I simply won't do it.  I would rather not complete a Dungeon than to be forced to have help or interact with other players.  Who have a chance of being incompotent, resulting in failure, wasted time and effort.

so I voted other.

no its not,

Thanks for clarifying that. I typically hear challenge and large scale discussed together but that makes sense. 

Originally posted by joseph567
    I don't raid.  The Idea of being forced to team up with random people or others in general, nausiates me.  So if I cannot solo it myself, I simply won't do it.  I would rather not complete a Dungeon than to be forced to have help or interact with other players.  Who have a chance of being incompotent, resulting in failure, wasted time and effort.

Note that the target of the poll is people who raid regularly or who like raiding. If you don't raid just hit See the results instead of Other.   Thanks!

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

It isn't why do I raid, it's why DID I raid.

Yeah, the guy who practically foamed at the mouth at hearing people wanting raiding in a game that he felt didn't need raiding actually raided before. Whoda thunk?

Anyways, why did I raid?

Well honestly, I'm not really sure if there was any ONE reason for it, but what I can remember off the top of my head:

1. Friends. At the time when I still wanted to get into raiding, I had two friends (well one friend and his friend; the latter was more of an acquaintance more than anything), who both wanted to raid. One was the tank, one was the mage, I was the healer (at least until I decided to go boomchicken, and never looked back afterwards). After they slwoly began to move away from raiding after a point, I tried to continue on my own, which worked for a time, but sorta fell apart.
    2. I wanted to see how the story ended. The expansion I had come into was near the end, and above all else, I wanted to see how everything ended, in that final raid. It's rather fortunate that there were so many PUG groups or that would have been very difficult, and I would not have been able to accept a late victory, especially if it was in the next expansion. Unfortunately, after that, when the story went downhill and the final boss of the next expansion was revealed with almost no buildup, things got boring PRETTY fast.
    3. Souvenirs. I'll admit it; I wanted some loot for myself, BUT I only wanted certain kinds of loot. They either had to look good or have some kind of quirky effect (on use or chance on hit is fine). Still wish I had gotten that staff with the summon minions proc effect...
  • joseph567joseph567 Member CommonPosts: 51
    Oh you were looking for responses from those who are dependant on other people, To accomplish a task.  My fault, I responded to include the dynamic that, I see if I can eventually solo the Raid.  If not I move on.  So my original answer was a half Truth.  I do raids but not in the sense of others.  By myself rather than look for help.
  • gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

I just don't get those who play multiplayer games and then hate grouping and only solo, solo and solo.

Well, if I am going to solo all the way, and never group, I would rather play any of the hundreds of single player games with a better gameplay than virtually any MMO. Let's face, MMOs tend to have (due to technical reasons) worse graphics, gameplay and flexibility than single player games.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by gordiflu

I just don't get those who play multiplayer games and then hate grouping and only solo, solo and solo.

Well, if I am going to solo all the way, and never group, I would rather play any of the hundreds of single player games with a better gameplay than virtually any MMO. Let's face, MMOs tend to have (due to technical reasons) worse graphics, gameplay and flexibility than single player games.

You can apply this thought to any game really; 'I don't get why people play Minecraft when the graphics are awful'.

I like Minecraft but I prefer to play it by myself rather than other people. Some people like the group aspect of Minecraft, I don't.

Different strokes for different folks.

disclaimer: I love minecraft. :)

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    I am old school EQ1 / EQ2 style raider. I raid to be better than other players and to kill things they cannot kill and to get loot and rewards other non-raiders will never have.
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    To socolise thats the only reason i did raiding, because its not even a challenge anymore somone complains on the forums its to hard and it get nerfed, and all current MMORPG are single player game design with a dunguen where everyone in a rush to go through it you cant chat cause ur to busy hitting your skill buttons. Loot does help but the big thing growing up with EQ the thing i miss most is the socalising and the only real way to do it now is in raids because everyone in a dam rush or on the move continously.
  • Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Its the only game mechanic I find to be social anymore in a MMO sad to say. So social is my answer. 
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    Its the only game mechanic I find to be social anymore in a MMO sad to say. So social is my answer. 

Somone else who gets it : ) pre WoW was all about socilise, after WoW its more focused on single player with a few group events (dunguens where the idea is to get through it as fast as u can)

Thanks everyone who has voted so far and for your comments.  It's interesting ro see that the large scale fight is at the top of the votes, but that I see so many comments for comraderie, socializing and grouping with friends and guilds.  I'm almost drawn to conclude that the big conflict is tied at the hip with the social aspect, with rewards important but secondary to those two.  Is this true that the rewards are less important than the friends and challenge?
  • StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    All of them
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Where is the I don't raid option?