Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I trust Greed Monger as the only Ultima Online upcoming alternative.

Spider3Spider3 Member Posts: 33

Hi Everyone,

before starting, I'd like to clarify I'm not here for advertising, nor I'm a part of the dev teams of Greed Monger.

I registered to mmorpg.com a few weeks a go, because after I tried many recent mmorpg posted on the games list of this websites, I didn't find a valid alternative of all the emotions I enjoyed when I played for many years ultima online.

I started thinking, may be it's me because I'm not a kid anymore (I was not so young when I was playing, though ;). But I'm sure it was not this. So I posted a request on this forum about what you would suggest as a valid UO alternative. I've received many suggestions, and also tried some games suggested, but the most exact answer I found is "There is no valid alternatives nowdays".

May be there are, but more on the Sci-Fin other than fantasy like. And I'm a fantasy addict, I feel I need to remain in this world. So I checked carefully the great post of Larsa, a complete list of all Sandbox mmorpg available:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/349518/page/1

This was an interesting reading for sure. But, still, I wans't able to find what I was looking for. So to make my heart happy, I just jumped again on UO after buying back a vet account (I still repent I sold mine 5 years a go). And I found again what I was looking for. At least for the social part of UO, and also so many stuff, skills, items, and so many things that are keeping me busy and happy. Of course, the Graphic is still the same, and this is the only drawback - it's more difficult to "immerge" yourself on a 2d isometric world, after you get used to all the 3d high-res fantasy worlds.

ArcheAge online is the only upcoming alternative, still, i'm not sure it will be the Ultima Online of 2013, being an Hybrid and the style failry different.

Then, I read a post about Greed Monger that caught my attention. Not only the 3d Graphic is really impressive, but after reading the concept behind, I had the feeling "this could be the game that makes the difference".

I'm a very sceptical person, and so many producers just promised so many new worlds and ended with a flop. But here there is something different. The staff, and all the people on the forum on official page supporting this game, are sharing exactly the same feeling. They are acting as a part of  new community where all the wishes and all the "nostalgic UO feeling" is something in common. And the game is really developping in the right direction, with all the features needed to be a proud successor.

And, last but not least, this is not a so-called Vaporware. A lot of work has been already done, and a closed beta is already estimated for April 2013. This is just around the corner!

If you are also looking for a mmorpg bringing you back to the old time, but completely repainted with new flavours, I think you should really check this project, follow this closer, share your thoughs and help building a game exactly like you want. And show your support if you will have the same feeling I did. They are not a super sized company, therefore it's obious they need initial help. But all this allows us, players, to interact with the creators of this game, share our thoughs, and point in the right direction.

For more details and to check out the Kickstarter campaign, feel free to visit the Greed Monker Official website (www.greedmonger.com).

And I repeat - I'm not here telling you this as a Promoter, but as a Player who wants to finally build and enjoy a sandbox mmorpg like a lot of people are asking for.

Comments

• MogusMogus Member Posts: 169

Spider,

thank you very much for your words of support.

After having played just about every MMORPG out there since Ultima Online, I simply felt, if I wanted it, I'd have to make it myself because the longer I waited the further away MMORPG's have gone away from what I've always felt made them special.

It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Some big updates to come!

I'm no longer allowed to plug or advertise the game, so posts like this really do help a great deal.

Thank you.

www.greedmonger.com
    Did you like Ultima Online? Then you'll LOVE Greed Monger!

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

@Spider3: Well, Greed Monger could be a good game, but there is one thing which seperates Greed Monger from UO, and therefor ArcheAge is much more similar to UO than Greed Monger. Greed Monger starts as an empty world. There is no story, no world history, no nothing. So it will heavily depends on the first community to what it could grow, and it could also take a lot of time until something is actually grown up. And i have seen a lot of games starting like that.. and the most of them have failed. It dont have to be, but it is a extremely high risk, and nobody can do anything about it, and at least the developers. UO on the other hand was full of story, full of history(Ultima series), although they were not forced upon you like in a lot of games nowadays, you have to look for it and have to dig into it.. and that was one great part of that game. I wish Greed Monger the very best, as any indy game trying to do some sandbox, but i have my fair share of doubts, that greed monger will be the second UO, or even close to it.

PS/Edit: if you want to check out a game like greed monger, with the community development of 5+ years, look at Wurm Online. And Wurm Online was 1 out of 10, which actually build up somthing. 

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

on your website...its price or PAUPER not popper.  FYI.

Also...is there combat?

Is this a sim crafter, pve carebear, or an ultima like game where theres full loot and pvp, but isnt the focus.

Originally posted by Crunchy222

on your website...its price or PAUPER not popper.  FYI.

Also...is there combat?

Is this a sim crafter, pve carebear, or an ultima like game where theres full loot and pvp, but isnt the focus.

Yes, thank you. The result of late nights working like a zombie.

Some of our forum members have actually taken it upon themselves to start a compilation of errors and typos I've made on random parts of the site. hah

#1. There is a story. A very deep story that will unfold over time. However, on day one, there is nothing. You dont know where you came from nor do you know why you were placed on this land with a loin cloth and a couple of tools. But as things unfold, you will find out.

#2. Combat? Yes, very much so. There will be full loot open PVP in central zones but only in those areas. These areas will be quite large however and won't at all feel like  you are in a "Warzone" so to speak. There will also be rare spawns of many sorts in these areas so competition for them will be strong.

#3. Death Knight is a feature we are looking to implement prior to launch which is a series of skills you can level after dying if you so chose to. Early on, you won't be able to interfere or make contact with living things in your Afterlife, however, with training, over time you will find your ability to attack living things begin to take shape. As you can inflict damage, you will also begin to receive it, however, the damage you take will be significantly less than if you were alive. There will be no healing those in the Afterlife and only the regeneration of your energy to replenish you over time after a fight. At a certain point you will find yourself in tune enough with death that you your ability to tank will be supperior to your abilities as a living person, however, if you die in this state, you will be dead forever. Re-roll, done. Your estate will be account bound but your character will be gone for good. Only people with the skills of a Medium will be able to communicate with you while you are in the Afterlife.

This is something being implemented to enable people who want a bigger rush from combat at their own option.

So, yeah, the game is focused on crafting, farming,building but we aren't neglecting combat either.

We have not however decided if you will be able to engage in PVP yet while in the Afterlife.

www.greedmonger.com

• JamesPJamesP Member UncommonPosts: 595

There will be a mix of PvE and PvP... Some Rare important Materials for crafting will be located in the PvP zone. Also us Developers will be able to take control of Large Raid Style Boss Mobs and come attack player Cities at which point players will have to group together to defeat us.

We will be releasing more information on PvP and PvE as development continues. For now though our Community is very active and can help with answering alot of questions!

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591
    Hey justing wanting to bump the thread, This is a game I've been following daily since I saw a post ont his site about it, I've been waiting a long time for a new crafting heavy sandbox game and this definitly has the makings of becoming something great that I could play for ages. Its still in the kickstarter stages which I know makes alot of people weary, myself included, but if you have any interest in a old school sandbox feel or even a real 3d minecraft game you should check out their forums and see what they have rolling.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

Always appreciate the bumps!

Soon, Greed Monger will be added to the MMORPG.com Games List and we will be able to post a bit more freely while adding regular screenshots and videos.

I'll be available for any interviews or questions one may have.

www.greedmonger.com

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

OMG I didnt even know this game existed, now its on the top 3 of my to watch list. THis is so cool starting out in a world with nothing and actualy building it up is so sweet. Ill have to read more into this and see but so far, i am liking this.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Certainly on my list now too.
  • CrucialCrucial Member UncommonPosts: 29

Features

Greed Monger Is Free To Play

source: http://www.greedmonger.com/index.php/features

pass thanks, next please

• CrucialCrucial Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Crucial

Features

pass thanks, next please

With no micro-transactions. it's important.

it's...interesting to see how that goes.

I saw it now, well I will put my eyes in this game

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Hey developers, do Faction PvP 3 factions, instead of FFA PvP. No other sandbox MMO has done that before. This could be something unique to your sandbox. I would totally play this sandbox MMO if it had faction PvP.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Features

pass thanks, next please

But it wil have macro-transactions instead... 

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Looks like a massive project with little resources. Good luck :)

• JalitanJalitan Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Originally posted by Spider3

Hi Everyone,

before starting, I'd like to clarify I'm not here for advertising, nor I'm a part of the dev teams of Greed Monger.

I registered to mmorpg.com a few weeks a go, because after I tried many recent mmorpg posted on the games list of this websites, I didn't find a valid alternative of all the emotions I enjoyed when I played for many years ultima online.

I started thinking, may be it's me because I'm not a kid anymore (I was not so young when I was playing, though ;). But I'm sure it was not this. So I posted a request on this forum about what you would suggest as a valid UO alternative. I've received many suggestions, and also tried some games suggested, but the most exact answer I found is "There is no valid alternatives nowdays".

May be there are, but more on the Sci-Fin other than fantasy like. And I'm a fantasy addict, I feel I need to remain in this world. So I checked carefully the great post of Larsa, a complete list of all Sandbox mmorpg available:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/349518/page/1

This was an interesting reading for sure. But, still, I wans't able to find what I was looking for. So to make my heart happy, I just jumped again on UO after buying back a vet account (I still repent I sold mine 5 years a go). And I found again what I was looking for. At least for the social part of UO, and also so many stuff, skills, items, and so many things that are keeping me busy and happy. Of course, the Graphic is still the same, and this is the only drawback - it's more difficult to "immerge" yourself on a 2d isometric world, after you get used to all the 3d high-res fantasy worlds.

ArcheAge online is the only upcoming alternative, still, i'm not sure it will be the Ultima Online of 2013, being an Hybrid and the style failry different.

Then, I read a post about Greed Monger that caught my attention. Not only the 3d Graphic is really impressive, but after reading the concept behind, I had the feeling "this could be the game that makes the difference".

I'm a very sceptical person, and so many producers just promised so many new worlds and ended with a flop. But here there is something different. The staff, and all the people on the forum on official page supporting this game, are sharing exactly the same feeling. They are acting as a part of  new community where all the wishes and all the "nostalgic UO feeling" is something in common. And the game is really developping in the right direction, with all the features needed to be a proud successor.

And, last but not least, this is not a so-called Vaporware. A lot of work has been already done, and a closed beta is already estimated for April 2013. This is just around the corner!

If you are also looking for a mmorpg bringing you back to the old time, but completely repainted with new flavours, I think you should really check this project, follow this closer, share your thoughs and help building a game exactly like you want. And show your support if you will have the same feeling I did. They are not a super sized company, therefore it's obious they need initial help. But all this allows us, players, to interact with the creators of this game, share our thoughs, and point in the right direction.

For more details and to check out the Kickstarter campaign, feel free to visit the Greed Monker Official website (www.greedmonger.com).

And I repeat - I'm not here telling you this as a Promoter, but as a Player who wants to finally build and enjoy a sandbox mmorpg like a lot of people are asking for.

Thanks Spider. Your post got me to reading about the game and it was interesting enough to get me to pledge their Kickstarter. I really like the idea of starting out with nothing and making my way in a world with nothing but my skills.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Papadam

Features

pass thanks, next please

But it wil have macro-transactions instead... 

What Micro Transactions? The only thing you can do is buying land and thats it. 

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Hey developers, do Faction PvP 3 factions, instead of FFA PvP. No other sandbox MMO has done that before. This could be something unique to your sandbox. I would totally play this sandbox MMO if it had faction PvP.

UO had factions.

Anyway:

•  
    • Charge Players Rent To Access Your Land (For Hunting/Harvesting Rares)
    • Resell Your Estate For Real Money In Our Estate Auction House

Gonna need some information on the payment model here.  Free to play, no micro transactions, doesn't add up.  Throw in the above two bullet points and I'm withholding judgement until more info is released.
  • obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804
    My guess would be a sub fee for players that want housing?

Ok,

to clear up  few things.

#1. No Micro-Transactions - Meaning, you wont be buying gems to buy power up items or fancy clothes etc. Every finished item in the game will be crafted by players with the exception of the castles purchased on the Kickstarter campaign of which there will only be 12 in the game.

#2. Land Parcels will be sold for $20 each. Enough land to build a house/shop to sell your items or materials etc.

#3. As parcels are bought up, demand for parcels will grow with the further populatrity of the game. If there are no more dev owned parcels, that will only leave player owned estates. Property values will increase with the demand. If someone whishes to leave the game, they can sell their land and everything on it in our Estate Auction System for real US Currency, of which we will take 15% of the total sale amount to transfer ownership rights to the new player. The only way to sell your estates will be through our system.

This is how we will continue paying our bills and continue creating new content to be released with each weekly update or addition.

I've seen people say things like "So you have to pay a fee to leave the game?!!", no. If you bought 4 Parcels of land for $80 and built a nice house, a shop or tavern, adventured in the world and created a series of rare items etc and found your Estate to be worth $400 and we only took 15%, would you look at that as a fee for leaving or a profit on your time invested in the game that helps everyone?

As for Faction PVP, that may be a possibility. We are looking into those options now. Right now, it's setup for open PVP in specific Climates.

www.greedmonger.com

• ConsuetudoConsuetudo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    Originally posted by Mogus

Ok,

to clear up  few things.

#1. No Micro-Transactions - Meaning, you wont be buying gems to buy power up items or fancy clothes etc. Every finished item in the game will be crafted by players with the exception of the castles purchased on the Kickstarter campaign of which there will only be 12 in the game.

#2. Land Parcels will be sold for $20 each. Enough land to build a house/shop to sell your items or materials etc.

#3. As parcels are bought up, demand for parcels will grow with the further populatrity of the game. If there are no more dev owned parcels, that will only leave player owned estates. Property values will increase with the demand. If someone whishes to leave the game, they can sell their land and everything on it in our Estate Auction System for real US Currency, of which we will take 15% of the total sale amount to transfer ownership rights to the new player. The only way to sell your estates will be through our system.

This is how we will continue paying our bills and continue creating new content to be released with each weekly update or addition.

I've seen people say things like "So you have to pay a fee to leave the game?!!", no. If you bought 4 Parcels of land for $80 and built a nice house, a shop or tavern, adventured in the world and created a series of rare items etc and found your Estate to be worth $400 and we only took 15%, would you look at that as a fee for leaving or a profit on your time invested in the game that helps everyone?

As for Faction PVP, that may be a possibility. We are looking into those options now. Right now, it's setup for open PVP in specific Climates.

Insofar as factions and the like are concerned, I think you should encourage players to organize themselves into kingdoms which you officially recognize, but which you as the developers do not create. For me personally, when I play a game I'm going into it alone and without bringing any friends with me: those games which really cause me to feel alone as a result of this and which revolve around pre-formed guilds are unenticing to me as a result, as I feel inherently excluded from some community. On the other hand, pre-ordained factions created by the developers seems to theme-parky and doesn't accurately reflect the actual doings of the players. Since you're having a specific number of castles, I think those people, who naturally seem like they're the ones most devoting themselves to this game, should really form the bulk of certain factions, around which people are inherently compelled to participate in out of mutual benefit: you contribute to the community, and you're provided the protection & benefits of being part of that community. 

A good balance between free-for-all and factions is my want, with the castle communities being potential rivals in PvP. 

Robokapp,

I have to say I just love your whole persona on here. Your name, your title text, the signature. It's just all so funny.

www.greedmonger.com

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

I agree with Robo regarding alliances vs premade factions.

Also, thanks for the quick response regarding the financial side of things.  Only question I have is if there is a way to purchase property from other players using in game currency instead.

Anyway, interesting concept here.  Will keep an eye on this for sure.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Sounds great but I won't hold my breath, got kinda  burned out at MO althou my old classmate did work on it hence my avid defence.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

No, there won't be any way to buy land parcels using in game currency. The real estate in the game is the only way we will have to fund the developments of future content, skills, items etc.

It's kind of a catch 22 really. Most people right now are just uneasy about the game actually launching because I dont have a AAA company funding or developing it. However, buying land parcels now while the Kickstarter campaign is active will be the only chance someone has at owning more than 4 Parcels per account. By the time the funding is all in place and the game launches, it will be too late to "get in on the ground floor" so to speak.

We are already at over $10,000 in funding on our 5th day and studies show that campaigns reaching 30% of their goal in the first week have at least an 80% chance of getting their full funding amount. So, odds are in our favor at this point.

I guess the reason I'm saying all of this is because #1. Greed Monger will launch. Just in the past 2 days I've had investors contact me wanting to get involved. I've turned them down. Not because I'm relying on Kickstarter but because I can manage the funding myself without Kickstarter if necessary and without investors breathing down my neck trying to tell me what THEY think I should do with my game.

#2. Because you are thinking, $20 for a land parcel? Why not allow us to buy land in game gold, which ultimately ruins our revenue model and tells me you dont think it's worthy of a $20 investment.

So yeah, I hope that answers your question and concerns. :)

www.greedmonger.com

• EnergyoEnergyo Member UncommonPosts: 69

Was interested for about 5 minutes.

Then after reading about it meh. No offense to the developers but this game isnt going to take off.

On to next "sandbox" :(.